Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
JVig
Mouseketeer

Hard Sell By CM

Has anyone had an experience with the CM telling you absoultely false things in an attempt to convince you to get the dining plan?

I just got off the phone and the CM told me I could get the dining plan for my family (2 adults one child) for $128.34 per night. She said this was a deep discount because adults are usually $58 per night and children $30 per night. (Not true from what I've read elsewhere). She also said if I eat one table serve per day it will be over $100 out of pocket right there. (I just looked over several menus and that's not true either).

I am sort of surprised that she was outright lying to me. She also told me I could only book the dining plan at that price through July 31.
JVig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
jen1977
Mouseketeer

We were at Disney, and every one of our sit down meals were over $100. There are 4 of us. We have never had a cm lie to us about the ddp.
jen1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVig View Post
Has anyone had an experience with the CM telling you absoultely false things in an attempt to convince you to get the dining plan?

I just got off the phone and the CM told me I could get the dining plan for my family (2 adults one child) for $128.34 per night. She said this was a deep discount because adults are usually $58 per night and children $30 per night. (Not true from what I've read elsewhere). She also said if I eat one table serve per day it will be over $100 out of pocket right there. (I just looked over several menus and that's not true either).

I am sort of surprised that she was outright lying to me. She also told me I could only book the dining plan at that price through July 31.
I does sound like she has her numbers off. Perhaps not so much of a hard-sell as just plain old misinformation.

Fact: The cost of the DDP for 2A, 1C would be $128.34/night during most seasons, including the dates that you're visiting.

Misleading Info: The cost of the DDP for an adult is not $58/night, it's $55.59. And the child's plan would be $17.16/night, not the $30 that she stated.

Fact: It is quite easy to go over $100 OOP for TS meals for 2A/1C, especially when doing character meals. Don't forget that the menus do not include taxes or gratuity (except in rare instances).

Misleading Info: While you may spend over $100 OOP for TS meals, that would also include the tip. Since the DDP does not include gratuities, it's misleading to say that you will save that entire amount.

Fact: If you're booking the Late Summer Discount or the Free Dining Discount, then you need to do so by 7/31/13.

Misleading Info: If you're paying for the DDP, you can add it on at any point up to 72 hours prior to your arrival. You do not need to book it by 7/31/13 in order to add it to your package. There is no promotional pricing out for the DDP. The price that she quoted to you is the price that you would normally pay.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:26 AM   #4
peanut520
Mouseketeer

The $128.xx is what I was quoted and I even called back after seeing lower prices posted here and other forums. I think there was a price increase. These are the prices I was quoted:
Dxdd $102 / $28 child
Ddp $58 / $20
peanut520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut520 View Post
The $128.xx is what I was quoted and I even called back after seeing lower prices posted here and other forums. I think there was a price increase. These are the prices I was quoted:
Dxdd $102 / $28 child
Ddp $58 / $20
You don't happen to be going at a peak dining plan price time, are you? There are higher prices at certain times of the year.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut520 View Post
Dxdd $102 / $28 child
Ddp $58 / $20
These are peak season prices for the DDP. As vicki_c posted, the DDP fluctuates depending on what time of year you go.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
peanut520
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
You don't happen to be going at a peak dining plan price time, are you? There are higher prices at certain times of the year.
No we are not. We are going in sept during value season. I asked if there was a price difference for peak season and was told it was about $2 more per person. Sorry I didn't write down those price since we would never go during those times. I spoke to 3 reps this week about ddp.
peanut520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

The phone CMs have been in a habit of quoting either high season pricing, or sometimes even next year's (before they are released!) Beyond the seasonal upcharge, pricing for the plans has historically only risen when next year's packages are released (usually around August, for trips starting in Jan). I'm pretty sure it's simply in their current information and they have no clue how it actually works.

Take a look at your current total package price, make the changes on your own on paper to see the total package increase. When you speak to the CM, have her do the same thing in the system and see if your numbers match. There have been many cases where someone was quoted a much higher daily price for the plans, but when it was input into the system, it turned out to be the lower, expected, price.

You can also try pricing it up online on the wdw site, including all your new changes, and see what it says vs what the CM says.

--
As for the hard sell, it's known to happen. The CRO CMs are sales people first, and support people second. They run off commission to some extent, so they will try and sell you stuff you don't need (/shakefist at the WPF&M tix I bought in 2009....) Simply need to stick to your guns and if something sounds fishy, get a 2nd opinion from someone not making commission off of you (e.g. us ).

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)

Last edited by Cafeen; 05-24-2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: i kan speel
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Phone CM's also quote 'less than pricing.' It's 'less than' $59 per adult per night, etc...

They don't have the prices like the DISboards have listed. None of the phone CM's I've known have ever made commission, most of the time they're just misinformed or new.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:

Every TS meal for our party of 3 (Mom,dad& pre-teen son) is always $120-$150 plus gratuties. Now is saying this. This includes Drink , Entree & Dessert for us 3. Or a character meal buffet. We eat at more of the "Expensive" places as well (Rainforest , Le Cellier , Cape May, Chef Mickey's). If you plan right you may be able to eat less then $128. If we weren't on the dining plan then we wouldn't eat dessert and would probably eat at "cheaper" places.

example of one of our days "eating" on the dining plan
Rainforest meal
Entree[*]1- Filet $38.99[*]2-Pasta $21.99[*]3- Steak $36.99[*]Drinks $1.99 x3[*]Dessert $6.99 x3
plus taxes is approx. $131 not including grat's.
She quoted correct. $128.34 is the correct price for the dining plan for 2 adults and 1 child.
Throw in your 3 Qs meals.... with drinks and dessert would coust about $15 out of pocket. approx $45
plus 3 snacks - approx $12.
$131 + $45 + 12 = $188
Dining plan for us costs $170 approx.
Is it really saving us anything....Nope
Ease of food paid for ahead of time...Yes!

If we were not on the dining plan could we eat for less - ABSOLUTLEY!!!

Standard Dining Plan
(Value and Regular Season)
$55.59 per night ages 10 and up
$17.16 per night age 3 to 9

2012 was $51.54 and $15.02.

(Peak Season)
$56.94 per night ages 10 and up
$18.16 per night ages 3 to 9
2012 was $53.54 and $16.02.

Sometimes they offer packages where they discount the dining package Stay/Play/dine... i think it was called.

The only place that you should check for current dining plan prices is the Disney website itself. There is alot of old and misleading info on these boards

Last edited by vacation_junkie; 05-24-2013 at 12:58 PM.
vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
JVig
Mouseketeer

I understand she gave me the right price, but she's telling me it's some kind of special deal. Which it isn't.

As far as over $100 for table service for 2 adults and 1 child, I can see if I get dessert that isn't unlikely. But we generally don't. For character meals, I don't see it. I'm doing Tusker house breakfast, it's 28.75 per adult and 15.97 per child. So about $75 before tip. Even our pricier plans, like Ohanas, comes to about $90 before tip. The only meals I have that would be more than 100 pretip would cost 2 credits on the dining plan.

I think it's more that the way we eat (rarely eat dessert), it doesn't make sense. Which I said to the CM. it just shocked me that he wouldn't accept my answer and then started giving me misinformation, that's all.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #12
amomma23
DIS Veteran

The "special deal" is that you can get free dining in September. If you book by July 31. Is that what the CM (maybe not too well) was trying to tell you?

Off topic...
We have the same countdown, cool!

amomma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
JVig
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amomma23 View Post
The "special deal" is that you can get free dining in September. If you book by July 31. Is that what the CM (maybe not too well) was trying to tell you?

Off topic...
We have the same countdown, cool!
I don't think that's what she was saying. She was impressed by the 128, telling me that was an amazing price for the dining plan. Maybe she was just confused!!

I can't see countdowns on my phone. Do we have the same image, or are we visit g at the same time?
Old 05-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
amomma23
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't think that's what she was saying. She was impressed by the 128, telling me that was an amazing price for the dining plan. Maybe she was just confused!!

I can't see countdowns on my phone. Do we have the same image, or are we visit g at the same time?
Who knows? Sometimes I think my 3 year-old could work the call center and give out better info.

We'll be there at the same time.

amomma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
JVig
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amomma23 View Post

Who knows? Sometimes I think my 3 year-old could work the call center and give out better info.

We'll be there at the same time.
Awesome-this is our first visit and I'm so excited!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: