Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #16
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW in Pearls View Post
Texas is close to Florida in relation to the rest of the US. I've always thought if they built another Disney it'd be up north to reach that demographic a little easier. But then again, I would be shocked if Disney built another park in the US at all.
The north is not really an option because Disney operates 365. Most theme parks in the north have to close several months out of the year due to snow and freezing temperatures. There is just no way around it. Yes hurricanes are an issue in south Texas but there have only been one or two hurricanes that really hurt the area and it would only mean 1 day of shut down the same thing they do in Orlando since they would be maintaining their own power and such.

Now I know this region of the south pretty well as I went to Jr. High and High school close to this area. I lived in Montgomery County which is right to the North East of Waller County. I use to drive on the street they mentioned all the time.
However, I've never even heard of three mile creek. That could be a local name fore something I'll ask my friends who live closer to this part of 1488 to see if they know what it is.

The other issue is I don't know what area of 1488 in Waller county has 10 square miles that doesn't have roads running through it. Just look at the google maps for the area. The only part that doesn't is the state park and I don't imagine the state of Texas giving that up. There is also some land by the Texas Renaissance festival grounds but there are a lot of little roads around there that could cause issues.

On the other hand this area of TX still has a lot of undeveloped areas and farm land so besides the roads that dissect things up Disney has the potential to grow. It has has two major highways very close (I-45 and I-59) that would make it an easy travel for those coming from the middle America states.

Final though on this. It is not the first time Disney has supposedly been looking for land in Texas. I remember when I was younger there was a large plot of land south of Houston that Disney, Nascar and some other big companies were looking at. I believe at the end of the day Nascar bought a chunk and then the city of Houston annexed the rest and now there are a bunch of commuter type communities in that area.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #17
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

The "Disney in Texas" rumor has been around for so many years, I think it qualifies for urban legend status.

Disney does business in all sorts of sectors, not just theme parks and travel, and they buy land for many reasons other than to build theme parks. Sometimes they buy just for investment purposes.
Lynne M is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #18
Q-man
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthropodtodd View Post
Not buying it, strictly because of the source alone. Would Texas be a good spot for a park? Weather wise yes. Perhaps research shows Texans don't like to leave their state.
There would be over 15 million Texans w/i a 4-5 hour drive of that location and that location would be ~90minutes from Galveston for Disney cruises. Texas is headed for a California sized population due to economic migration and there is no major amusement park in Houston presently. For the year ending July 1, 2012 eight of the 15 fastest-growing large U.S. cities were in Texas. No other state had more than one city on the list.

Of all the rumored places for Disney the Houston area has a lot going for it; huge population w/i half a day's drive, nearly same weather as Orlando(100 miles south would be better weather but there would be huge water issues and no airports), cruise ship port w/i 90 minutes, 2 airports w/i an hour's drive, plentiful water, very popular with Latin American travelers, and about as close to midway between DL and WDW as possible with the year round weather and water needed.

The Disney in Texas rumors have been flying since at least '80. With how cheap Disney has been with WDW, of late, IMO it would take a major energy crisis making LA or Orlando travel cost prohibitive for mid-America for Disney to open a mid-America location. Or the Texas population w/i 4-6 hours drive would need to swell to where it alone could support a park a la southern California and DL.

Last edited by Q-man; 06-01-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Q-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #19
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcow View Post
That website seems awfully sketchy to me..

But, could someone fill me in on DisneyQuest Chicago? I haven't heard of that project before.

Thanks!
Chicago was their first and only remote DisneyQuest location with the intent upon building a DQ location in most major cities. It didn't take off, probably because the hours of operation didn't make sense. This is the one I've been to. The folks at WDW always comment on my Chicago shirt or my DQ hat.

It was cool, but again, it closed at 7PM on weekdays. I always thought that if they had a liquor license and did the late night thing it would still be open today.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #20
DISzy
Mouseketeer

I actually live very close to this area!! There have been rumors lately of a theme park/convention center type of development in that are for a while now. Although this is the first I have heard of it being Disney. This piece of land, though small compared to WDW is surrounded by nothing. There would be plenty more land to buy. Waller,Texas is to Houston as Kissimmee was to Orlando many years ago. It is very convenient to Houston, the fourth largest city in the US. But right now it is mostly farmland and ranches. I guess we will have to wait and see. I will keep y'all updated if I hear anything.
DISzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #21
Pirate princess 2
Mouseketeer

I wonder about this Texas plan because I feel that it would take profits away from both DL and WDW. I'm always up for a new Disney park. We'll have to wait and see.
Pirate princess 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #22
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

Building a park in TX. makes perfect sense, weather is ideal in some locations, plenty of space, and it would help take some load off WDW. But 6400 acres wont go far in Disney proportions. Hope this leads to something bigger.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #23
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

May countries/geographic regions tend to look at themselves in a "special" mirror...as in they see something that nobody else really sees.

The old US of A is heading that route...

But at the top of that list...is Texas. Always a bigger deal to Texans than anybody else.

Sorry

But back to the real impact of this...to build in texas would be the ultimate form of park cannibalization...while they would gain a local market (to a certain extent...disney's pricing will continue to become more cost prohibitive - just because you have 5 million people within 2 hours...doesn't mean that more than a small percentage can actually AFFORD to go) - any gains would be offset by diverting traffic from Disneyland or WDW.

Disney will only develop where they can reasonably bank on new revenues or clientele...and with their overhead/operations costs being so high - that means adding on to their existing sites...augmenting for more days/ spending. Squeezing from the margins at near total profit - but across the board.

Maybe some type of "daytrip" smaller venue/DVC/new concept small attraction....i could definitely see that at some point. But after the failure of Disneyquest it is along way off.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #24
Castle2Castle
Disney Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-man View Post
Of all the rumored places for Disney the Houston area has a lot going for it; huge population w/i half a day's drive, nearly same weather as Orlando(100 miles south would be better weather but there would be huge water issues and no airports), cruise ship port w/i 90 minutes, 2 airports w/i an hour's drive, plentiful water, very popular with Latin American travelers, and about as close to midway between DL and WDW as possible with the year round weather and water needed.
Maybe Disney or another theme park could find a way around it, but I was pretty sure Houston and Texas have been struggling with drought conditions since at least 2011, at times implementing water restrictions in many areas.

Regardless, whether Disney ever would consider such a move, I highly doubt the OP article given the source and the supposedly open leak of negotiations while simultaneously saying nobody would talk until a deal was completed; I agree that nobody involved would likely say anything until the deal was completed, and even then it seems more likely that Disney would be the one controlling the release of information -- through reputable news organizations.
Castle2Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #25
Birdman1511
Don't listen to that guy. He's trying to lead you down the path of righteousness. I'm gonna lead you down the path that *rocks*.

I highly doubt a theme park is planned. I would guess like other poster's have said, IF its true, and thats a big IF...it would be like DisneyQuest up in Chicago or maybe a resort like they put in Hawaii and Vero Beach,FL...6,400 is really not a significant amount of land for a Disney theme park. However, being from Texas and all..I would LOVE to see a Disney theme park here lol

1990-Offiste1992-Dixie Landings1994-Polynesian1996-Grand Floridian1998-Grand Floridian2001-All Star Movies2005-Polynesian 2007-Officially moved in with the mouse!! 2009-CBR
May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face. And may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars
Birdman1511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #26
billybob069
Earning My Ears

How convenient. For what it's worth, that piece of land does look large:

Quote:
UPDATE: an inside confidential source has disclosed that Disney negotiations have stalled because of the Hempstead/Prairie View Regional Garbage Dump. Disney officials have serious concerns about the impact on the groundwater and other health hazards associated with a regional dump. The groundwater from the Chicote/Evangeline Aquifer flow in the direction of the Rice University property and would be their primary source of water.
billybob069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #27
billybob069
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman1511 View Post
I highly doubt a theme park is planned. I would guess like other poster's have said, IF its true, and thats a big IF...it would be like DisneyQuest up in Chicago or maybe a resort like they put in Hawaii and Vero Beach,FL...6,400 is really not a significant amount of land for a Disney theme park. However, being from Texas and all..I would LOVE to see a Disney theme park here lol
Not that I believe this rumor, but why do people keep saying this? 6400 acres is larger than every other disney project outside of WDW. Also, who is building a resort in rural SE Texas?
billybob069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #28
lmgideon
Earning My Ears

Just came across this...related?

Just saw an article on an ABC news website about a new Texas themed park slated to open in a nearby area in 2015. (Dis boards won't let me post the link because I am too new to the board). Is Disney trying to get in on the competition? Google "The Grand Texas" theme park in Montgomery county.
lmgideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #29
RSWA2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmgideon View Post
Just saw an article on an ABC news website about a new Texas themed park slated to open in a nearby area in 2015. (Dis boards won't let me post the link because I am too new to the board). Is Disney trying to get in on the competition? Google "The Grand Texas" theme park in Montgomery county.
Here you go

http://www.grandtexas.net/
RSWA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #30
rteetz
DIS Veteran

I agree with many on this thread that it may just be a hotel or small excursion type thing. I think because they are trying to get more disney cruisers to go to Galveston they are going to open a hotel not too far from the dock so people can stay at a disney hotel before going on a disney cruise. I do not think this is anything major especially because Texas has been a rumored site for a park for many years now.

disney lover at heart

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: