Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
cwnhokie
DIS Veteran

Help Please! Cabins at Ft. Wilderness or POR

We are a family of 5 staying for 3 nights following a Disney cruise. We will be there Thursday after the cruise until Sunday morning. We are going to Night of Joy at MK, but don't plan any other parks except, probably a water park on Thursday.

Right now we have booked a cabin at Ft. Wilderness and planned to just relax and hang around there. Plan to stop by the grocery store and get some snack and simple meals to prepare in the cabin. We need to have breakfast at Ohana though, because DS has been talking about it since the last time we were there. One of his big regrets in his long 5 and a half years is not joining in on the parade at breakfast 2 years ago. I'm trying to stay away for wasting a lot of time with dining, since we would have just eaten ourselves silly on the boat.

But then there's free dining and I love dining in Disney. While Ft. Wilderness would be very convient to MK for night of joy and many dining options without having to enter a park, the price for POR would save us about $350.

We stayed at POR last time for just two nights and I was surprised by how spread out it was and I was not super happy about sleeping on the trundle bed on the floor, it's nice to see that it is now a murphy bed. What do you guys think?
Old 05-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
Tpiejg
Mouseketeer

Have you checked the price of a preferred rom at POR. You might still save a little money and be very close to everything at POR. Also there is a boat to DTD from POR, which has lots to choose from for dining if you decide on the DDP.
We have stayed at both POR and the cabins at FW and we prefer POR. We love yeeHaw Bob's show and we really enjoyed Boatwrights restaurant. It is spread out but a Preferred room was perfect if you don't want to be far from the main building.
Tpiejg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwnhokie View Post
We are a family of 5 staying for 3 nights following a Disney cruise. We will be there Thursday after the cruise until Sunday morning. We are going to Night of Joy at MK, but don't plan any other parks except, probably a water park on Thursday.

Right now we have booked a cabin at Ft. Wilderness and planned to just relax and hang around there. Plan to stop by the grocery store and get some snack and simple meals to prepare in the cabin. We need to have breakfast at Ohana though, because DS has been talking about it since the last time we were there. One of his big regrets in his long 5 and a half years is not joining in on the parade at breakfast 2 years ago. I'm trying to stay away for wasting a lot of time with dining, since we would have just eaten ourselves silly on the boat.

But then there's free dining and I love dining in Disney. While Ft. Wilderness would be very convient to MK for night of joy and many dining options without having to enter a park, the price for POR would save us about $350.

We stayed at POR last time for just two nights and I was surprised by how spread out it was and I was not super happy about sleeping on the trundle bed on the floor, it's nice to see that it is now a murphy bed. What do you guys think?
I definitely think you should keep your Fort Wilderness reservation. Especially after a cruise. The extra room will be wonderful and the full kitchen is great. We are a family of 5 and the 3 kids had the bedroom and we were in the living room. It was wonderful. You could also have groceries delivered to your cabin for the meals you want to cook in.
Enjoy
Old 05-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
cwnhokie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpiejg View Post
Have you checked the price of a preferred rom at POR. You might still save a little money and be very close to everything at POR. Also there is a boat to DTD from POR, which has lots to choose from for dining if you decide on the DDP.
We have stayed at both POR and the cabins at FW and we prefer POR. We love yeeHaw Bob's show and we really enjoyed Boatwrights restaurant. It is spread out but a Preferred room was perfect if you don't want to be far from the main building.
Having stayed at both, why do you prefer POR over the cabins?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
Tpiejg
Mouseketeer

I think that the pool, eating choices, beauty of the resort, boat to DTD make it a nicer resort than cabins FW. FW cabins do give you more room to spread out, and if you dont get the DDP you can cook in the cabins. I guess it depends on what you decide. If you end up not having the DP I would stay at the cabins but if you get the dp in my opinion POR gives you better options and an easier way to get to many restaurants outside the parks.
Tpiejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

We have five, I chose POR...with free dining it's a great deal, you can enjoy more restaurants, even hop a boat over to DTD and do TRex or Rainforest which the kids would love. The bus system at the cabins is more inconvenient than POR....you have more pools at POR and I just find the landscaping and 'look' of POR more relaxing...We are excited about it! Have a great trip! We also have friends doing the same cruise and going to Night of Joy!

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
cwnhokie
DIS Veteran

How long does it take to get to MK from POR if you have a car?
How long does it take to get to MK from the fort by boat?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
cwnhokie
DIS Veteran

Doesn't look like there are any preferred rooms for our dates. I can't decide! Cabins offer space and convienence to MK. POR is $350 cheaper, but we will all be in one room after spending 4 nights in one cabin on the cruise.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
turnlisa
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at both and I would keep the Fort Wilderness reservation. Those cabins are well worth the price and the beds are really comfortable. You can easily take the boat from Fort Wilderness to MK, which will be highly convenient after Night of Joy. Fort Wilderness is really a large resort but it was so nice to wander around and explore the resort.

turnlisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: