Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
Mommy Poppins
Admitted Disneyholic - No Cure Wanted
Dreams of tag fairies and pretty colors
Will be spending my birthday at the WL
 
Mommy Poppins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: PA
Posts: 2,345

Another resort dilemma....

I am tentatively planning a quick trip to WDW in September (9/10-9/15) before my DH heads to Afghanistan. We would be a party of seven (7), DH, me, DD17, DS14, DS11 and nephew and great-nephew (4-turning 5 on the trip).

My family has been to Disney many times and usually stays for 8-10 nights. Since the kids will be back in school, this will probably be one of the shortest trips we have ever taken at only 4-5 nights. Our favorite resorts is the CR in a TPV room. If it was just the five of us, that's where we'd be!!

My DH does not like the buses so we will be renting a vehicle and using it for transportation to the parks. We will be using the 4 day Armed Forces Salute tickets.

Originally, I had thought to stay at Shades of Green to keep costs down. However, with this being my great-nephew's first trip (and birthday), I'd like to stay at a Disney resort. Then free dining came out for our dates so even paying rack rate for the rooms with a 2 day base ticket (and then upgrading to the AFS tickets) is a little cheaper than using the military discount on the room and paying for meals. We will upgrade the 6 adult tickets to the AFS tickets and then upgrade the child's ticket to a 4 day hopper through Disney.

I am trying to decide between 2 rooms at PORiverside or 2 rooms at CBR. Like I said, it is going to be a quick trip so not a lot of pool time, although as hot and humid as September is, we will definitely use the pool. I like the queen beds at PORiverside, but it is not a major deal to us. We would also be okay with double beds.


Which resort would you stay at and why?
__________________


Our Vow Renewal 5/1/06 - Family Trip 9/2013 & Senior Pictures
Mommy Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay
 
NoSoup4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy Poppins View Post
I am tentatively planning a quick trip to WDW in September (9/10-9/15) before my DH heads to Afghanistan. We would be a party of seven (7), DH, me, DD17, DS14, DS11 and nephew and great-nephew (4-turning 5 on the trip).

My family has been to Disney many times and usually stays for 8-10 nights. Since the kids will be back in school, this will probably be one of the shortest trips we have ever taken at only 4-5 nights. Our favorite resorts is the CR in a TPV room. If it was just the five of us, that's where we'd be!!

My DH does not like the buses so we will be renting a vehicle and using it for transportation to the parks. We will be using the 4 day Armed Forces Salute tickets.

Originally, I had thought to stay at Shades of Green to keep costs down. However, with this being my great-nephew's first trip (and birthday), I'd like to stay at a Disney resort. Then free dining came out for our dates so even paying rack rate for the rooms with a 2 day base ticket (and then upgrading to the AFS tickets) is a little cheaper than using the military discount on the room and paying for meals. We will upgrade the 6 adult tickets to the AFS tickets and then upgrade the child's ticket to a 4 day hopper through Disney.

I am trying to decide between 2 rooms at PORiverside or 2 rooms at CBR. Like I said, it is going to be a quick trip so not a lot of pool time, although as hot and humid as September is, we will definitely use the pool. I like the queen beds at PORiverside, but it is not a major deal to us. We would also be okay with double beds.


Which resort would you stay at and why?
POR for sure. Its so much prettier. The grounds are gorgeous! I love the pool, the food court, bike rentals, and the boat to DTD! And the queen beds are a bonus.
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Mommy Poppins
Admitted Disneyholic - No Cure Wanted
Dreams of tag fairies and pretty colors
Will be spending my birthday at the WL
 
Mommy Poppins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: PA
Posts: 2,345

Are the royal rooms at PO Riverside really "girly"?

Or, if I book a standard room, can I request to be in AB???
__________________


Our Vow Renewal 5/1/06 - Family Trip 9/2013 & Senior Pictures
Mommy Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
tiger4me2
DIS Veteran
 
tiger4me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,006

Can't help you on resorts. Just wanted to say a big thank you to your DH for his service
tiger4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
chasgoose
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy Poppins View Post
Are the royal rooms at PO Riverside really "girly"?

Or, if I book a standard room, can I request to be in AB???
You can request a room in AB if you book standard, but since all the preferred buildings are in AB, you will likely be relegated to the outskirts of the property (since you have a car, that may not be a problem for parks, but it could be a problem for using the amenities at the resort (especially given the heat/humidity of September). You may want to book a preferred room, which guarantees AB and a closer location.

The Royal rooms don't seem too "girly." Yes there are princessy touches, but its mostly just a fancier looking room than a typical POR room plus the fiberoptic headboards. I wouldn't worry too much about that for boys, although they probably won't really appreciate it any more than a regular room so it may not be worth the money. Once again, the Royal Rooms are among the most far-flung at POR so the distance issue comes into play. I would probably spend the money on a preferred room rather than on a Royal Room.

If you are used to CR tower, CBR and POR are both going to feel very spread out to you. CBR, particularly. While you can luck out at both with a standard room (POR seems to have more decent standard locations) given the time of year I would recommend booking preferred.
chasgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Mommy Poppins
Admitted Disneyholic - No Cure Wanted
Dreams of tag fairies and pretty colors
Will be spending my birthday at the WL
 
Mommy Poppins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: PA
Posts: 2,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger4me2 View Post
Can't help you on resorts. Just wanted to say a big thank you to your DH for his service

Thank you!!!
__________________


Our Vow Renewal 5/1/06 - Family Trip 9/2013 & Senior Pictures
Mommy Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
hooch11bear
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 444

I may be a little biased, but we absolutely love POR!! It's our home away from home. We have stayed at CBR before also. Once we stayed at POR, we have never been back. Also, a huge thanks to your DH for his service!!!
hooch11bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy Poppins View Post
I am tentatively planning a quick trip to WDW in September (9/10-9/15) before my DH heads to Afghanistan. We would be a party of seven (7), DH, me, DD17, DS14, DS11 and nephew and great-nephew (4-turning 5 on the trip). ...

I am trying to decide between 2 rooms at PORiverside or 2 rooms at CBR. Like I said, it is going to be a quick trip so not a lot of pool time, although as hot and humid as September is, we will definitely use the pool. I like the queen beds at PORiverside, but it is not a major deal to us. We would also be okay with double beds.

Which resort would you stay at and why?
If you don't get connecting rooms, are you and the husband willing to split up for the trip? None of the kids are old enough to stay in the room alone. At least one would need to be 18.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
Mommy Poppins
Admitted Disneyholic - No Cure Wanted
Dreams of tag fairies and pretty colors
Will be spending my birthday at the WL
 
Mommy Poppins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: PA
Posts: 2,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
If you don't get connecting rooms, are you and the husband willing to split up for the trip? None of the kids are old enough to stay in the room alone. At least one would need to be 18.

My nephew is actually 26. He and his son would be rooming with my two boys.
__________________


Our Vow Renewal 5/1/06 - Family Trip 9/2013 & Senior Pictures
Mommy Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
dpswift
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central New york
Posts: 1,086

Of the 2 we have only stayed at Carribean Beach. We did not like it and would love to try Port Orleans. CB was just to big and spread out for us. Thank your Dh for his service for us. I wish I had the chance to do a trip with Ds before he goes on his ship tour in August.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
disd55
Mouseketeer
 
disd55's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 276

Both are big resorts but CBR is much more gigantic. It is huge and has 7 bus stops. POR has 4. You will not want to be walking in that September humid heat. POR for sure.
disd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.