Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #541
DeeSanDisneyFan
Earning My Ears

Since this thread is mostly speculation I thought I'd share some crazy thoughts I had:
I was thinking of something that the MagicBands could do besides pre-booked FPs while thinking about having the RFID readers at rides most on this board would never dream of wasting a FP on and thought this: it would be interesting if IN ADDITION TO FPs the MagicBand would allow you to scan at a ride for the Stand-by line but instead of waiting in the line it would just keep track of the current stand-by time and you could walk around, shop, eat, see a show/parade, etc. while waiting for your stand-by time to come up (i.e. if the wait for HM was 40 min you would wait 40 min just not inside the line and you COULD NOT GET ANOTHER STAND-BY SCAN for an attraction OR RIDE ANOTHER ATTRACTION unless you already had a pre-booked FP until that 40 min is up.) When the time comes up you just go to the stand-by line (with a smaller window than FP, say 15 min rather than an hour) and walk through the Stand-by line like the FP line. But that being said it doesn't make sense for them to have spent so much making interactive queues.
This is just me running ideas through my head. Fire away!
Hahaha!

WDW: 1983(First time), 2001(4 parks on July 4th), 2003(Off-site Disneymoon)

Disney Cruise: 2009 Magic(DD's 2nd Birthday and our 6th Anniversary)
DeeSanDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #542
magicbob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeSanDisneyFan View Post
it would be interesting if IN ADDITION TO FPs the MagicBand would allow you to scan at a ride for the Stand-by line but instead of waiting in the line it would just keep track of the current stand-by time and you could walk around, shop, eat, see a show/parade, etc. while waiting for your stand-by time to come up
That kind of describes the current FP system (except that it is only available for certain, not all, attractions).

There has been some speculation that interactive areas (i.e., queue-less queues) such as Dumbo will become the norm. I think it's a little far fetched to think that they will do away with lines altogether in favor of a system where EVERYONE just pulls a ticket and returns at their designated time, but it's not impossible since that is the concept for FP anyway.

I think there will always be a standby line option because if no one has reservations for a certain time, they still want to be able to have guests on the attraction.

Ratatouille, the Ride!

magicbob is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #543
Starr W.
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
We have heard so many comments from people in the standby line while we are using the FP line.

"Must be nice to be able to afford that."
"Oh they can bypass lines because they're staying at the expensive resorts."
"Hmm guess they're VIP's or something."

People already don't understand the FP system, despite that it's clearly outlined on the Park Maps and CM's around that you can ask about it.
heard and seen that also. Plus my sister's neighbor got into a huge arguement with me about ADR's. She was taking her daughter's family for NYE and telling me if you were staying at a Value hotel you weren't allowed to make ADR's, that's just for you DVC members and Deluxe hotel guests.
Starr W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #544
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr W. View Post
heard and seen that also. Plus my sister's neighbor got into a huge arguement with me about ADR's. She was taking her daughter's family for NYE and telling me if you were staying at a Value hotel you weren't allowed to make ADR's, that's just for you DVC members and Deluxe hotel guests.
I didn't know off-site guests could make ADR's till last year. I've been five times. Seriously, we were no disney novices but things can just slip by if you don't use them, we never used ADR's you see.

If people don't seek out and encounter things or have them advertised in their faces they often won't use them, and even advertising is limited in effect as current ignorance shows. LIke you said most people on seeing the fastpass line seem to assume it isn't free, it isn't available to day trippers from off-site, and some that it isn't even available to certain on site.

They'll need a huge "ITS FREE AND ANYONE CAN USE IT AND YOU CAN BOOK BEFORE YOU ENTER THE PARKS NOW BUT ONLY IF YOU WANT AND ONLY FOR CERTAIN TIMES AND ATTRACTIONS BUT YOU CAN CHANGE THEM AT A KIOSK OR ON YOUR PHONE IF THE WIFI ALLOWS IT, ITS KIND OF SPOTTY APPARENTLY AND THE APP SOMETIMES WON'T WORK FOR SOME PEOPLE BUT OTHERS HAVE NO ISSUES. (Terms and conditions apply.)" sign by the sounds of it.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #545
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
"ITS FREE AND ANYONE CAN USE IT AND YOU CAN BOOK BEFORE YOU ENTER THE PARKS NOW BUT ONLY IF YOU WANT AND ONLY FOR CERTAIN TIMES AND ATTRACTIONS BUT YOU CAN CHANGE THEM AT A KIOSK OR ON YOUR PHONE IF THE WIFI ALLOWS IT, ITS KIND OF SPOTTY APPARENTLY AND THE APP SOMETIMES WON'T WORK FOR SOME PEOPLE BUT OTHERS HAVE NO ISSUES. (Terms and conditions apply.)" sign by the sounds of it.
Hey, that's kind of catchy. I hope Disney marketing gives you credit if they use it in their commercials.

mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #546
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggydoc View Post
Then you heard him say it was new information, that it was a source he trusted and, very emphatically I might add, that you could not get FP's at a second park .
FYI, I re-listened to the podcast...I don't believe he said that it was new information, but that he trusted the source. Unfortunately, it was just basically saying what we know for sure, just that it was all there was - which as I mentioned could still be true.

One mistake, he implied that you had a choice between using the old or new system (as long as the old system exists, which he says will go a way "in a couple years") with a MagicBand. But that does not appear to be true at this time, because 1) you can't get a FP with a MagicBand currently; and 2) The posted T&C basically says that if you switch to the RFID system, you can only use FP+ (of course, they didn't seem to be planning on giving out all-RFID cards this early...)
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #547
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post

They'll need a huge "ITS FREE AND ANYONE CAN USE IT AND YOU CAN BOOK BEFORE YOU ENTER THE PARKS NOW BUT ONLY IF YOU WANT AND ONLY FOR CERTAIN TIMES AND ATTRACTIONS BUT YOU CAN CHANGE THEM AT A KIOSK OR ON YOUR PHONE IF THE WIFI ALLOWS IT, ITS KIND OF SPOTTY APPARENTLY AND THE APP SOMETIMES WON'T WORK FOR SOME PEOPLE BUT OTHERS HAVE NO ISSUES. (Terms and conditions apply.)" sign by the sounds of it.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #548
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeSanDisneyFan View Post
Since this thread is mostly speculation I thought I'd share some crazy thoughts I had:
I was thinking of something that the MagicBands could do besides pre-booked FPs while thinking about having the RFID readers at rides most on this board would never dream of wasting a FP on and thought this: it would be interesting if IN ADDITION TO FPs the MagicBand would allow you to scan at a ride for the Stand-by line but instead of waiting in the line it would just keep track of the current stand-by time and you could walk around, shop, eat, see a show/parade, etc. while waiting for your stand-by time to come up (i.e. if the wait for HM was 40 min you would wait 40 min just not inside the line and you COULD NOT GET ANOTHER STAND-BY SCAN for an attraction OR RIDE ANOTHER ATTRACTION unless you already had a pre-booked FP until that 40 min is up.) When the time comes up you just go to the stand-by line (with a smaller window than FP, say 15 min rather than an hour) and walk through the Stand-by line like the FP line. But that being said it doesn't make sense for them to have spent so much making interactive queues.
This is just me running ideas through my head. Fire away!
Hahaha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbob View Post
That kind of describes the current FP system (except that it is only available for certain, not all, attractions).

There has been some speculation that interactive areas (i.e., queue-less queues) such as Dumbo will become the norm. I think it's a little far fetched to think that they will do away with lines altogether in favor of a system where EVERYONE just pulls a ticket and returns at their designated time, but it's not impossible since that is the concept for FP anyway.

I think there will always be a standby line option because if no one has reservations for a certain time, they still want to be able to have guests on the attraction.
This was a thought I had early on when the new system was first "announced." But a solid counterargument someone made to me was "Why would Disney invest all that money in adding interactive queues to so many of its attractions only to then go to a queueless, appointment-based system."

I thought it was a compelling argument anyway.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #549
doggydoc
It's not a midlife crisis I'm just a car enthusiast.....honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
What is the point of YOUR posts? All you ever do is complain about people discussing FP+ and attempt to incite argument. It's a DISCUSSION board. Do you have anything constructive to add? If you do, I haven't seen it yet.

This is the absolute last time I waste any of my time responding to your cut-and-paste patronizing "I'm so smart" posts.
Excellent, because the only time I find myself wading through the tripe is when someone quotes it. That particular IGNORE boat sailed long ago.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #550
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
This was a thought I had early on when the new system was first "announced." But a solid counterargument someone made to me was "Why would Disney invest all that money in adding interactive queues to so many of its attractions only to then go to a queueless, appointment-based system."

I thought it was a compelling argument anyway.
It could be that _some_ attractions will have the interactive queue, and _some_ will offer a virtual queue.

Remember, they tested the virtual queue system at RNRC a few times. Hasn't been seen since though. Part of the problem was that you couldn't wander off too far - you had a very short return window, and I'm not sure having a longer window would keep things flowing smoothly. And they needed to provide something for the guests to do since they were still virtually trapped - might as well entertain them in a regular queue anyways.

I actually proposed a similar standby wait time mechanism in one of the great GAC debate threads as an alternative to (real or perceived) front of the line GAC access, that wouldn't require splitting parties up. But you also had to have some way of preventing them from utilizing another attraction to keep it fair. If you are in the queue, virtually or not, you can't be in another queue.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #551
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggydoc View Post
Excellent, because the only time I find myself wading through the tripe is when someone quotes it. That particular IGNORE boat sailed long ago.
Figured it out, thank goodness.

Other Trips :

Last edited by Squidgyness; 05-22-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #552
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
It could be that _some_ attractions will have the interactive queue, and _some_ will offer a virtual queue.

Remember, they tested the virtual queue system at RNRC a few times. Hasn't been seen since though. Part of the problem was that you couldn't wander off too far - you had a very short return window, and I'm not sure having a longer window would keep things flowing smoothly. And they needed to provide something for the guests to do since they were still virtually trapped - might as well entertain them in a regular queue anyways.

I actually proposed a similar standby wait time mechanism in one of the great GAC debate threads as an alternative to (real or perceived) front of the line GAC access, that wouldn't require splitting parties up. But you also had to have some way of preventing them from utilizing another attraction to keep it fair. If you are in the queue, virtually or not, you can't be in another queue.
I believe that RnRC test was just a precursor to the current Dumbo queue system. Unsure if there will be more queues like this in the future or not.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #553
goherdibg
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Let's play the "It's Not Fair" game.

"It's Not Fair" that guests who show up early in the morning to a park get the best chance at coveted FastPasses.
The coveted FP's will all go quickly that day.

But, some guests can't get up early. "It's Not Fair."
How our kids feel as the go to sleep determines if we get up early or not. We have been to RD many times and skipped it many times. I didn't realize people really complain about others taking the FP's by getting up early.

If Disney really wanted to address it then they should not open the FP machines until noon. In a way this makes sense on most days as the lines don't really get long until mid-day anyway.
goherdibg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #554
g-dad66
DIS Veteran

In hopes of this thread not getting closed down like nearly all previous FP+ threads, I am forcing myself to do an IGNORE also amd attempt to keep the conversation on topic....

Here's a speculation I think I have expressed before. I think MDE will "suggest" certain attractions at certain times for FP+, and all the novice uninformed guest will have to do is a simple click or two (maybe one "accept" per day?). And voila! he/she has now easily chosen his/her 3 FP+s per day.

This is how the "average" guest will "learn" to use FP+, and how Disney will steer him/her toward less busy attractions at less busy times.

Historical Orlando weather data here: http://www.leaveittogenie.com/weather.html
g-dad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #555
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-dad66 View Post
In hopes of this thread not getting closed down like nearly all previous FP+ threads, I am forcing myself to do an IGNORE also amd attempt to keep the conversation on topic....

Here's a speculation I think I have expressed before. I think MDE will "suggest" certain attractions at certain times for FP+, and all the novice uninformed guest will have to do is a simple click or two (maybe one "accept" per day?). And voila! he/she has now easily chosen his/her 3 FP+s per day.

This is how the "average" guest will "learn" to use FP+, and how Disney will steer him/her toward less busy attractions at less busy times.
Makes sense, I've heard talk of suggested passes for people who aren't experienced. Will this be really useful to those guests though?

Could go one of two ways.

1) Disney suggests guests get fastpasses for the main busy rides. Disney happy to an extent and guest happy.

2) Disney suggests guests get fastpasses for the lesser used rides in order to spread the crowds out, especially if main headliners are heavily fastpassed already. Disney very happy as wait times for headliners stay reasonable and those people queue less, guest not so much when they realise they didnt really need a fastpass anyway for that particular ride, and it was only suggested because no one else wanted it so it was available, and to steer people away from the headliners.

Other Trips :

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: