Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #136
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethannah View Post
The did come when the ship returned but the suspect was no longer in the country thanks to Disney. Why didn't Disney hold the man until the return to Florida? Disney essentially let.the.man.go.

I work at a bank too..... what we don't do is put a bank robber on a plane and send him back to his home country before the police arrive to do their job. Oh and pay for his ticket too.

Just because you are allowed to do something does not make it ethically right. One would hope that when it comes to the molestation of children Disney would do all things possible to ensure the culprit was brought to the full justice of the law, instead the man was allowed to get off scott free. Why didn't Disney leave the accused in Florida before setting sail? Disney notified the Florida authorities too late. A case like this with video footage should have been examined BEFORE the ship was allowed to leave the port. They came to the ship when it arrived back in Port, I do not know what they investigated once they found the suspect was no longer there and neither do you. That really is just a distraction from the greater problem and that is the fact that the SUSPECT wasn't there in the first place because he was allowed to go free.
where did you get that from? what I heard on the video was that they made plans to meet the ship but didn't because the man was gone. I would think they would still want to interview someone and have a record on file. his name could be put in the data base at homeland security. is that not right??
i'm going to unsubscribe from this thread. there is to much tension and way to much miss information. you say something and the words get scrambled. its like that game where you whisper in some ones ear and the farther it goes down the line the more mashed up it gets. plus people are getting mean and that usually means its time to go. i'm normally alright with having my posts questioned but I found one person has tipped the table for me by trying to put their own spin on my words in a negative way and that's a FOR SURE sign its time for me to go.
my thoughts and prayers are with that child tonight. lets all have a little prayer for her.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #137
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
so why didn't they? why didn't the police board the ship and at least take notes? I work for a bank and if we contact the police they have to come even if we say sorry, no longer a problem. its protical. so, did they when the ship returned? it was a case they were informed of. guess not cause it was 'over'.
i'm not saying Disney did no wrong. i'm saying Disney did what they were allowed to do or it would not have been done.

DCL did NOT do what they should have done, which was call the police in Florida before the ship ever left the port, because that's where the crime occurred and they still had the time....and/or should have MADE TIME to call the police.

If you think about it, every rape and child molestation is a matter of "he said, she said"...in other words, a woman (sometimes a man) calls police, or someone in authority, and says they were raped or molested. The cops don't wait for proof or to identify the suspect, they GO TO THE VICTIM right away to get information.
In this case, DCL didn't give the Florida police the chance to do that.

They were wrong, and there's no way of denying that. Even if the little girl was lying, DCL should have still called the police. It wasn't their decision to make.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #138
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

I have to say, I'm really glad to see that only a few people who have posted are defending DCL and/or its employees and trying to twist every possible angle to make DCL not look guilty here.

"It's a witch hunt" "Blame the media" "The video doesn't show anything"

And people wonder why women are reluctant to go to the police after they've been raped.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:12 AM   #139
Bella29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
so why didn't they? why didn't the police board the ship and at least take notes?
I apologize if you feel your words are being twisted, but honestly I feel like there is a disconnect here. Like maybe we saw/read two different news reports? This is a quote directly from the channel 6 report:

"When DCL did notify Port Canaveral police of the crime, on Aug. 6, chief Hellebrand said the department assigned a detective to meet the ship when it returned on Friday Aug. 10, assuming the victim and suspect would be made available."

They investigated but could only review the incident report and ship video. The perpetrator was no longer available to interview, because Disney gave him a get out of jail free pass home.

So now he's home in India, or maybe he's moved onto his next cruiseline job. He's currently on facebook, with plenty of friends who are presen employees of DCL and Carnival, so maybe they'll give him a job referral and we'll next see him in another disgusting elevator video. Or maybe he's victimizing children on land in India. We don't know, because Disney didn't turn him over to the proper authorities. This is what I am perturbed about.

Quote:
i'm not saying Disney did no wrong. i'm saying Disney did what they were allowed to do or it would not have been done.
We'll have to agree to disagree then, because I am saying Disney DID WRONG. In my opinion, they have broken the law by not reporting this crime and turning this criminal over to the Bravard County police. They have also broken my trust in them as a customer. I very much believe that they need to answer for their actions.

I am not saying this to be "mean" or cause "tension", but because I believe that ordinary people have to stand up to pedophiles and those who cover up their crimes. I will not support a company that covers up the assault of an 11 year old and lets a pedophile escape justice.

I do agree with you on one point tinkerone, and I will certainly join you in praying for this innocent little girl tonight, as well as the other victims of this piece of garbage.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #140
lorenni
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure the outcome would have been any different even if Disney had stayed put and called the police.

What happened was awful, but since when does anyone to to jail for what this man did? He would have been read Miranda rights and appointed a lawyer. There would probably be no confession. And this video seems unlikely to result in a conviction without a confession. Because he is not a US citizen the odds are he would have been deported as part of any process in the US. Same result - whether or not it seems the result is fair.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #141
DMMarla07860
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
I have to say, I'm really glad to see that only a few people who have posted are defending DCL and/or its employees and trying to twist every possible angle to make DCL not look guilty here.

"It's a witch hunt" "Blame the media" "The video doesn't show anything"

And people wonder why women are reluctant to go to the police after they've been raped.
Well the video really doesn't show much. IMO. Maybe you saw a different angle? Sure I could see it, but if the guy wasn't talking it seemed like nothing, unlike other videos where you could see more happen. Not sticking up for DCL when I say this, yeah they dropped the ball somewhat, but did the girls family call police? Them or DCL could call since they were in port
July 14th-18th, 2002- 3 Night Resort and 4 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, April 23rd-30th, 2005- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, August 19th-26th, 2006- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Double Dip Cruise, September 6th-9th, 2007- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, July 13th- 20th, 2008- Mexican Riviera Disney Magic Cruise, February 21st-28th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 28th-March 7th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Eastern Cruise, August 27th-30th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, December 10th-13th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, March 6th-13th, 2010- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 17th-20th, 2011- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, February 20th-24th, 2011- 4 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 27th-May 3rd, 2011- 6 Night LA to Vancouver Disney Wonder Cruise
February 16th-19th, 2012- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 21st-28th, 2012- 7 Night Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise(first one),
June 15th-17th, 2012- 2 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC), August 17th- 25th, 2012- 8 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC)March 16th-23rd, 2013-7 Night Disney Fantasy Western March 23rd-30th, 2013-Disney Fantasy EasternUpcoming Cruises: November 20th-24th, 2013- Disney Magic
Old 05-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #142
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenni View Post
I'm not sure the outcome would have been any different even if Disney had stayed put and called the police.

What happened was awful, but since when does anyone to to jail for what this man did? He would have been read Miranda rights and appointed a lawyer. There would probably be no confession. And this video seems unlikely to result in a conviction without a confession. Because he is not a US citizen the odds are he would have been deported as part of any process in the US. Same result - whether or not it seems the result is fair.

Good point. They didn't want to press charges, the video proves nothing and without the child's testimony they'd never even get an indictment. Technically the state could press charges but they have no witnesses, no physical evidence and an inconclusive video. The victim is a Brazillian who could not be compelled to testify. No DA in the country would attempt to get an indictment.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Old 05-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #143
DMMarla07860
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Good point, never thought if that
July 14th-18th, 2002- 3 Night Resort and 4 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, April 23rd-30th, 2005- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, August 19th-26th, 2006- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Double Dip Cruise, September 6th-9th, 2007- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, July 13th- 20th, 2008- Mexican Riviera Disney Magic Cruise, February 21st-28th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 28th-March 7th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Eastern Cruise, August 27th-30th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, December 10th-13th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, March 6th-13th, 2010- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 17th-20th, 2011- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, February 20th-24th, 2011- 4 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 27th-May 3rd, 2011- 6 Night LA to Vancouver Disney Wonder Cruise
February 16th-19th, 2012- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 21st-28th, 2012- 7 Night Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise(first one),
June 15th-17th, 2012- 2 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC), August 17th- 25th, 2012- 8 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC)March 16th-23rd, 2013-7 Night Disney Fantasy Western March 23rd-30th, 2013-Disney Fantasy EasternUpcoming Cruises: November 20th-24th, 2013- Disney Magic
Old 05-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #144
ash-n-brensmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

As true as this probably is, that does not take away the culpability of DCL's agents handling this situation in the manner they did. They still should have called the authorities to report the alleged crime. No more info needed to know how this would play out at the time...a crime was reported by a victim, said crime should have been reported to the authorities.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #145
DMMarla07860
DIS Veteran

Maybe they didn't do more since the family didn't want to press charges? Could that happen. Just thought that. Not a export so just a guess
Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #146
DCL Repeaters
DCL addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMMarla07860 View Post
Maybe they didn't do more since the family didn't want to press charges? Could that happen. Just thought that. Not a export so just a guess
A crime was committed on the ship. DCL failed to notify the police of the crime. Shameful.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #147
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster
Thank you Bluestar.

That was awful to watch. That poor girl. In just seconds. He's even looking around!!! This is disgusting! There was no reason for him to look around and enter the elevator. That lil girl probably thought he was an elevator operator, an employee. Good lord.

DMMarla, I agree, we don't need to take sides. The video is just disturbing in itself.

The security report said he "grabbed her breast, gropped her and then kissed her, mouth to mouth". How is an 11 year old going to make that up?
I read this incident on national news, The Daily News. I told my daughter not to be alone and just take the stairs.

I can't believe that I have to educate my children on the issues and taking preventive measures.

MedCruise June 15-27, 2013 VilleFranche-Sur-Mer, La Spezia, Civitavecchia, Piraeus, Kusadasi, Mykonos, Valetta

MedCruise Aug. 7, 2010 Valetta, Tunis, Naples, Civitavecchia, La Spezia, VilleFranche-Sur-Mer

Mexican Riviera 2008
Old 05-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #148
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
Good point. They didn't want to press charges, the video proves nothing and without the child's testimony they'd never even get an indictment. Technically the state could press charges but they have no witnesses, no physical evidence and an inconclusive video. The victim is a Brazillian who could not be compelled to testify. No DA in the country would attempt to get an indictment.
You are wrong. The state attorney was interviewed and said he would prosecute based on the DCL report and the video the news station had. As far as pressing charges goes, in Florida the state will move forward without you and anyone can be compelled to testify. There are non citizens in our prisons today.

You are missing the point here. The proper authorities, LOCAL police, were not informed of an accusation of a crime against a child while the ship was docked on US soil. NO one at DCL had the right to decide when or if to report it. It should have been reported to the police within minutes of it being known by DCL. DCL had no right to determine if the girls accusation had merit, that is the job of the police. DCL is an entertainment company not a police force with trained investigators who specialize in crimes against children.
There is no compelling reason for them to have not involved the police other than PR. It doesn't look good to see police getting on board before sail away and possibly delaying departure while also leading one of your employees off in handcuffs. Which is what would have happened.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #149
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash-n-brensmom View Post
As true as this probably is, that does not take away the culpability of DCL's agents handling this situation in the manner they did. They still should have called the authorities to report the alleged crime. No more info needed to know how this would play out at the time...a crime was reported by a victim, said crime should have been reported to the authorities.

Ships are not like other businesses. Ships have their own trained law enforcement agents and their own jail. When they are at sea, they have to deal with ALL law enforcement issues. They can conduct investigations and they can arrest people and put them in the brig. So when they are 'docked' I can see where they are not going to call 911 everytime someone files a complaint. They are trained to do investigations. And that is what they did. Had this incident happened a few hours later the ships security would have had to dealt with it.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14

Last edited by Rogillio; 05-22-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #150
disneydreaming92701
DIS Veteran

Sadly DCL did more than most state child service agencies would do. So many known long time abusers who continue even after multiple arrests convictions and allegations.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: