Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reservations
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #106
Al and Kate's Mom
DIS Veteran
Thanks for sharing the drinks and fun

I'm kind of amazed at the judgment going on in this thread. I seriously doubt any of us would give up a night in the castle just so another random family could have it. How are ADRs any different? If I'm willing to try planning ahead enough to get up at the butt crack of dawn to make reservations, I'm going to make whatever reservations I can. Some will be cancelled. Others will be added. "Hoarding" ADRs - the notion that this stresses people out is funny.

Trips: 1989-offsite; 1990-offsite; 1991-Disney Inn; 2005-ASMo; 2005-CBR; 2006-POP; 2008-ASMu;2008-POFQ; 2010-POFQ; 2010-CSR; 2011-Poly; 2012-BWI/Bonnet Creek; 2013-Emerald Island; 2014-AsMo; 2015-TBD
Al and Kate's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #107
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Kate's Mom View Post
"Hoarding" ADRs - the notion that this stresses people out is funny.
My thought exactly! Don't have the energy to get upset over something so trivial...

POP-2007, ASMo-2010, ASSp-2011, POFQ-2013, POFQ-August 2014!!!!
mom2AidanAndEli is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #108
ElizabethG
When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
So something can only be "wrong" if it's a matter of life and death? By that logic, if someone randomly walks up to you, and punches you in the face.....nothing really wrong with that, as it's not going to kill you.

Wrong is wrong. Yes, certain "wrong" actions may have only very minor repercussions/impacts in the grand scheme of things. However, that doesn't mean that those actions no longer qualify as being "wrong".
Wrong is subjective. Even if you define it as something that causes a minor repercussion/impact, I don't see how that applies to ADRs. The popular restaurants will be full of people and not everyone who wants to eat there will get to. Someone who makes an extra ADR has no impact on that.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:43 AM   #109
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Kate's Mom View Post
I'm kind of amazed at the judgment going on in this thread. I seriously doubt any of us would give up a night in the castle just so another random family could have it. How are ADRs any different? If I'm willing to try planning ahead enough to get up at the butt crack of dawn to make reservations, I'm going to make whatever reservations I can. Some will be cancelled. Others will be added. "Hoarding" ADRs - the notion that this stresses people out is funny.

Exactly. While I always cancel any reservation once we realise it simply isn't going to work for us (or we have a change of plans), I wouldn't not book CRT, Tusker House or Le Cellier just so a random family could have it instead. By that logic, I shouldn't stay at one of the resorts "in case" I'm stopping another family from having that room. I shouldn't buy the last Mickey mug that World of Disney has so another family could have it. When does it end?

Every time we make a reservation, at that point in time we intend of dining there. Does it always work out? No, sometimes we have a change of plans (we have already changed a few days around for our upcoming trip, made new reservations and cancelled old ones) But the intent when we make the reservation is to use it.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #110
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Exactly. While I always cancel any reservation once we realise it simply isn't going to work for us (or we have a change of plans), I wouldn't not book CRT, Tusker House or Le Cellier just so a random family could have it instead. By that logic, I shouldn't stay at one of the resorts "in case" I'm stopping another family from having that room. I shouldn't buy the last Mickey mug that World of Disney has so another family could have it. When does it end?

Every time we make a reservation, at that point in time we intend of dining there. Does it always work out? No, sometimes we have a change of plans (we have already changed a few days around for our upcoming trip, made new reservations and cancelled old ones) But the intent when we make the reservation is to use it.

Most people on the thread are talking about booking multiple ADR's for the same time in order to have a choice of restaurants on any given day. There have been people who suggested that it is selfish to book the "special" ADR's more then once while on vacation, but honestly, that is just silly.

WE all make changes as we tweak our plans so of course, that involves making changes dining plans.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #111
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
Most people on the thread are talking about booking multiple ADR's for the same time in order to have a choice of restaurants on any given day. There have been people who suggested that it is selfish to book the "special" ADR's more then once while on vacation, but honestly, that is just silly.

WE all make changes as we tweak our plans so of course, that involves making changes dining plans.
I know, I was called selfish personally by someone I'm just saying, the concept of being selfish by booking a reservation is a little crazy

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:28 AM   #112
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
I know, I was called selfish personally by someone I'm just saying, the concept of being selfish by booking a reservation is a little crazy
I know.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:45 AM   #113
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Most people on the thread are talking about booking multiple ADR's for the same time in order to have a choice of restaurants on any given day.
Actually you can't do this anymore in the Disney system. Unless you're making reservations under different names and then it's a whole different ballgame!

I think what most people are calling selfish is exactly what I've done. I have a popular dinner booked on two different nights right now. I'm only going to be using one, but not sure on which night yet. When we figure it out, I'll cancel the other one.

I don't find this wrong, I'm not feeling guilty, and I'm not at all concerned with what a vocal few on this board think of me right now!

Actually, how about putting this spin on it? I will eventually cancel the second reservation, but it might not be until a few days ahead. I'm 100% sure someone will be stalking the ADR site and scoop it up in no time. I've just made their day!!!!! They didn't think they'd get into this dinner and now they will. I'm sure they're absolutely thrilled! So maybe I was just saving a spot and creating a little Disney magic for that person!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #114
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2AidanAndEli View Post
Actually you can't do this anymore in the Disney system. Unless you're making reservations under different names and then it's a whole different ballgame!

I think what most people are calling selfish is exactly what I've done. I have a popular dinner booked on two different nights right now. I'm only going to be using one, but not sure on which night yet. When we figure it out, I'll cancel the other one.

I don't find this wrong, I'm not feeling guilty, and I'm not at all concerned with what a vocal few on this board think of me right now!

Actually, how about putting this spin on it? I will eventually cancel the second reservation, but it might not be until a few days ahead. I'm 100% sure someone will be stalking the ADR site and scoop it up in no time. I've just made their day!!!!! They didn't think they'd get into this dinner and now they will. I'm sure they're absolutely thrilled! So maybe I was just saving a spot and creating a little Disney magic for that person!
I know how people get around the WDW reservation system. I cannot tell anyone else what to do, but I figure that the reason Disney has tried to place restrictions on multiple ADR's is because they do not want folks to do it. For me, that is enough. For you it is not.

I am not impacted by this behavior, because I am one of those people who are up and on the phone at 7 180 days out and get the ADR's I want, but I am not going to put a spin on it to make anyone think that they are not circumventing Disney's policy. You want to do this, that is your business. You want to tell yourself that you are a bundle of pixie dust for other families, go ahead. I just don't agree.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:10 AM   #115
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am not going to put a spin on it to make anyone think that they are not circumventing Disney's policy. You want to do this, that is your business. You want to tell yourself that you are a bundle of pixie dust for other families, go ahead. I just don't agree.
How exactly am I circumventing the system? I don't have two dinners booked on the same night. I made all my ADRs under one name, through their system. What policy am I not following?

Old 05-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #116
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How exactly am I circumventing the system? I don't have two dinners booked on the same night. I made all my ADRs under one name, through their system. What policy am I not following?
I need to apologize. I read that you had two dinners booked the same night and would cancel one. Not enough coffee this morning I thing. Again, I am sorry I misread.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #117
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I need to apologize. I read that you had two dinners booked the same night and would cancel one. Not enough coffee this morning I thing. Again, I am sorry I misread.
That's okay--understand the coffee thing.

Some people may not agree with what I've done--and that's okay--but I'm not breaking any rules.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #118
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's okay--understand the coffee thing.

Some people may not agree with what I've done--and that's okay--but I'm not breaking any rules.
I don't have issues with that either. I make sure that I have dining reservations for every night and as I tweak our plans, I make changes in our ADR's. What irritates me, and again, I usually am not impacted, are the multiple ADR's for every given meal. I just don't understand that.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #119
Samdari
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji2012 View Post
Isn't the last line the definition of selfish?

"Adjective
(of a person, action, or motive) Lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure."
Right, but the problem with those calling people holding multiple ADR's selfish is that they are doing so because they are chiefly concerned with how it affects their own ability to get ADR's.

By the definition above, saying "I can't get ADR's because someone else has them" is just as selfish as getting multiple ADR's. In doing so, they are expressing their concern about their own personal profit (if you can consider guaranteeing yourself the right to overpay a rich mega corporation for mediocre food profit) or pleasure.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #120
csmommy
DIS Veteran
Believes that every time you hear or see the word Disney a Tag Fairy gets their wings

FYI

You can book 2 reservations for any meal within the same time period (not 2 hours in between) under the same name, linked to the same room reservation if you book one using the online system & one using the app. I found this out by accident b/c DH wanted me to change one when we were talking about our upcoming trip in the car & the system did not ask me to cancel the existing reservation before booking the new dinner reservation which was 1/2 hour apart. When I viewed our upcoming dining reservations I saw both online & on the app.

2013 ~ 7/28-8/6 split BCV & VWL
2012 ~ 5/24 - 5/28 BWV DS 17th
2011 ~ 8/9-8/17 AKVJH & BLT
2010 ~ 8/7-14 WWOPP
2009 ~ 8/13-22 split AKVK & BCV
2007 ~ split OKW & BW
2005 ~ split AKLJH & Swan
2000 ~ POFQ
1992 ~ POFQ ~ no kids yet
1990 ~ off site
csmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread