Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

Doesn't the Dolphin also charge a "resort" fee?? I thought I remember that
DisneyDmbNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #17
disneymore2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post
Doesn't the Dolphin also charge a "resort" fee?? I thought I remember that
Yes 17- plus 15 for parking
disneymore2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #18
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

that is why they aren't worth it to me..plus, I can't use my KTTW card for charging
DisneyDmbNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #19
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at both Dolphin and AKL, and actually did a split stay between the two a couple years ago. As much as I love Epcot, and location/transportation is really important to our family, I'd definitely go with AKL. I was thrilled to move over to AKL on our transfer day!

The atmosphere, the lobby, the Disney feeling, the two AMAZING pools, the theming, the great dining options (love Sanaa and Jiko) at AKL . . . the list goes on. But OP already knows all of that!

I think Dolphin is a great budget option compared with mods, and the location is wonderful, but I agree that the overall feel and condition just aren't the same as the Disney-owned resorts. And little things made the Dolphin different - the underwear on the path that stayed there for over 24 hours (we laughed every time we saw it - and so did other guests!) And there was more of a pool party atmosphere (employee selling $5 shots from a backpack around the pool.) It definitely had more of a convention feel. Again, great budget option compared with mods, but I'd choose AKL over it any day.
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/BWI!)
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #20
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Stay at AKL we stayed at the dolphin last year and didnt have the greatest experience. It's a great hotel and the service was fine, but the pools were dirty and you have to pay a fee every day for two bottles of water and wifi use and they make you pay that. Plus the Dolphin is not owned by disney but its on disney property so you don't get some of the disney luxuries. The location is great and its not that expensive but I would much rather stay at an official disney hotel than the dolphin.

disney lover at heart

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #21
chasgoose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post
that is why they aren't worth it to me..plus, I can't use my KTTW card for charging
Yeah, but they are typically priced closer to disney moderates. Given that they offer a more deluxe experience I see those fees as things Disney builds in to the prices of their deluxes anyways (and the swan and dolphin are almost always cheaper than a Disney deluxe, even when you factor in parking/lack of ME and the resort fees).
chasgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #22
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
Stay at AKL we stayed at the dolphin last year and didnt have the greatest experience. It's a great hotel and the service was fine, but the pools were dirty and you have to pay a fee every day for two bottles of water and wifi use and they make you pay that. Plus the Dolphin is not owned by disney but its on disney property so you don't get some of the disney luxuries. The location is great and its not that expensive but I would much rather stay at an official disney hotel than the dolphin.

disney lover at heart
Just to clarify for folks reading along -

The only "Disney luxuries" that S&D don't participate in are are DME and room charging privileges at the parks. Oh and you can't get a dining plan - but we use tables in wonderland instead so that doesn't affect us and you can get a nice AAA discount at the Swan and Dolphin restaurants.

They do get the extra magic hours, Disney park transportation (shared with BW, YC & BC) Complimentary package delivery to the resort gift shop and free parking at the parks. There is a Disney concierge at both resorts for ticket purchases and dining reservations as well as a Disney gift shop at both hotels.

I would also have a hard time choosing between AKL and the Dolphin if the prices were similar. Since we visit Epcot and the Studios the most I would probably choose the Dolphin. I also think there are more restaurant choices in the Boardwalk area if that is of interest to you. We really like Big River Grille - esp if its nice enough for the outside dining.

Either way you can't go wrong

TJ
tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #23
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

hmmm..... Based on the little experience I have with both I like the Dolphin better b/c of location...AKL is so nice, but it is SO far away from everything.....
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #24
cjnix29
DIS Veteran

Because it is only two nights, I would choose the AKL. The parking fee and the resort fee are two things that drive me crazy, and really take away the discount on the room. We love the Epcot area, but AKL is worth it for a short stay. Have you checked into renting DVC points at BWV or BC?
2005 OKW, first trip with DS
2006 WL
2007 POLYNESIAN 2008 All Star Music
2009 Surprise birthday trip for DS offsite
2009 Holidays at the World , POFQ
2010 New countertops, or Disney?....,we chose the Contemporary, Club Level MK view and the Yacht Club!
Trip Report from the most awesome trip ever! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2565514
2012 BLT
8/25/12 First Cruise on the Fantasy to celebrate over 130 pounds lost!
cjnix29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #25
disneymore2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjnix29 View Post
Because it is only two nights, I would choose the AKL. The parking fee and the resort fee are two things that drive me crazy, and really take away the discount on the room. We love the Epcot area, but AKL is worth it for a short stay. Have you checked into renting DVC points at BWV or BC?
Yes I added all the fees together to compare apples to apples... I'm staying on june9-10 would that be too late to renting points?? Not sure how to do?? Would need to be at 200 a night.
disneymore2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: