Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #106
Jarvis3
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBell View Post
Florida authorities planned to meet the ship back in port to conduct an investigation. Instead of following through and corporating with Florida police Disney reported it to Bahamas authorities who basically looked the other way and let Disney do what they pleased.
Query, please - what authority does a cruise line have to "hold" someone against their will to be collected by a police agency two or three ports later? If not surrendered to the Bahamian authorities (and please remember that these ships are flagged Bahamian), this person could have just left, as Disney had no legal right to restrain him. They are not a law enforcement body....
Old 05-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #107
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis3 View Post

Query, please - what authority does a cruise line have to "hold" someone against their will to be collected by a police agency two or three ports later? If not surrendered to the Bahamian authorities (and please remember that these ships are flagged Bahamian), this person could have just left, as Disney had no legal right to restrain him. They are not a law enforcement body....
The person in question was person of interest In crime committed in the US. Not only did Disney have the authority, IMO they had an obligation.

This little girl deserved to have accusation investigation. Thanks to Disney And a little wink wink from the Bahamas that won't happen.

It's not a coincidence theses ships are are registered someplace other then the stricter US.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #108
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The person in question was person of interest In crime committed in the US. Not only did Disney have the authority, IMO they had an obligation.

This little girl deserved to have accusation investigation. Thanks to Disney And a little wink wink from the Bahamas that won't happen.

It's not a coincidence theses ships are are registered someplace other then the stricter US.
Person of interest? Watching too much CSI? He was not a person of interest nor was he a suspect in th US because no offense had been claimed or levied against him in th US. Also, a crime alleged by an 11 yo needs corroboration....in this case he confessed but only AFTER being turned over to the Bahamians.

The fact that they are are flagged in the Bahmas is a week attempt at slander and totally irrevelent.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Old 05-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #109
rhorsley
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Florida authorities planned to meet the ship back in port to conduct an investigation. Instead of following through and corporating with Florida police Disney reported it to Bahamas authorities who basically looked the other way and let Disney do what they pleased.
Yes, I'm sorry...that's what I was trying to say...my understanding is that unless reported on our shores, a molestation of a Brazilian girl by an Indian man on a ship registered in the Bahamas cannot be persued by FL police. However, if the police had been called when docked, regardless of what the grandmother ultimately decided, law states that the FL officers were required to investigate. Since, it wasn't reported at that time, the little floating piece of the Bahamas went to the real Bahamas, where the law requires the victim (or guardian) to officially file a complaint.

I don't think it is beyond the realm of possibility, that between the time the ship left port & arrived in Nassau someone(s) aboard convinced the family to let it go. They fire the employee, ship him home, make the gesture a Vegas dealer makes when they are "out" and hoped the report wouldn't be turned up. Which it has.

I adore Disney, as many of us do, but the best thing they can do now is come out and say they made a terrible mistake and are doing x, y & z to ensure something like this never happens again. My degree is in PR, and for a business steeped in the care & entertainment of children this is their best option now.

Staying silent or advising they "only knew a girl was made to feel uncomfortable" won't appease their consumers or investors. They want to know their children are safe in their hands regardless of any other facts in this event. Disney needs to come out ahead of this and strongly emphasize what they are doing now to stop these kinds of incidents.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #110
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
where did this come from? i don't remember reading it anywhere. i could have missed it but as there is so much 'unknown' that people are surmising on, i'm just wondering.
lots of miss information.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #111
rhorsley
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
Person of interest? Watching too much CSI? He was not a person of interest nor was he a suspect in th US because no offense had been claimed or levied against him in th US. Also, a crime alleged by an 11 yo needs corroboration....in this case he confessed but only AFTER being turned over to the Bahamians.

The fact that they are are flagged in the Bahmas is a week attempt at slander and totally irrevelent.
I believe the video, which was reviewed prior to departure (& remember there are cameras in the elevator) was quite sufficient corroboration for the girl.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #112
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
I saw the video. Unfortunately it's not exactly conclusive evidence of anything.
OCC, where is everyone seeing this video at? The one link didn't work for me.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
Old 05-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #113
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhorsley View Post
Yes, I'm sorry...that's what I was trying to say...my understanding is that unless reported on our shores, a molestation of a Brazilian girl by an Indian man on a ship registered in the Bahamas cannot be persued by FL police. However, if the police had been called when docked, regardless of what the grandmother ultimately decided, law states that the FL officers were required to investigate. Since, it wasn't reported at that time, the little floating piece of the Bahamas went to the real Bahamas, where the law requires the victim (or guardian) to officially file a complaint.

I don't think it is beyond the realm of possibility, that between the time the ship left port & arrived in Nassau someone(s) aboard convinced the family to let it go. They fire the employee, ship him home, make the gesture a Vegas dealer makes when they are "out" and hoped the report wouldn't be turned up. Which it has.

I adore Disney, as many of us do, but the best thing they can do now is come out and say they made a terrible mistake and are doing x, y & z to ensure something like this never happens again. My degree is in PR, and for a business steeped in the care & entertainment of children this is their best option now.

Staying silent or advising they "only knew a girl was made to feel uncomfortable" won't appease their consumers or investors. They want to know their children are safe in their hands regardless of any other facts in this event. Disney needs to come out ahead of this and strongly emphasize what they are doing now to stop these kinds of incidents.

Good to hear from a PR professional. My thought is, this is NOT national news. Only shown on Orlando news If they believe nothing wash handled wrong, why even addresses it? It it goes national, yes get in front of it but for now, it is local sensationalization.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Old 05-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #114
rhorsley
Mouseketeer

It is local now...but this is Disney and an offense involving a child. It will get out, so they need to get ahead of it.

BTW, if you read this entire article it will explain the nuances and may make it more plausible that they would wait until they were "at sea" so they would be the law enforcement in charge.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/26/tr...anted=all&_r=0
Old 05-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #115
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post
OCC, where is everyone seeing this video at? The one link didn't work for me.
Try this link.

I would have been furious if this happened to my daughter.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/dis...z/-/index.html
Old 05-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #116
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
Good to hear from a PR professional. My thought is, this is NOT national news. Only shown on Orlando news If they believe nothing wash handled wrong, why even addresses it? It it goes national, yes get in front of it but for now, it is local sensationalization.
agreed! i did a search on CNN and nothing came up. last thing they have is the wealthy hiring disabled. so far the only place its big news is on the DIS.
don't get me wrong, child molestation is the worst crime ever but when did we become a lynch mob? get all the facts first, don't surmise, and lets make sure they are correct facts. not just what we think happened.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #117
rhorsley
Mouseketeer

Also, as a PR professional...once it goes national you can no longer get ahead of it. When bad news goes national, you play catch-up and it looks like you are on the defensive and not the offensive side. Regardless of what has or might happen with this particular case, Disney as a Corp needs to come out with all the facts on this now and tell the public how they have corrected policy to avoid in the future. Everyone makes mistakes, but the public is far less forgiving if they feel you are only admitting the mistake because you got caught & had to.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #118
PatriciaH
I want to be an Imagineer!

Looks like it has started to go national and international.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-elevator.html

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/05...se+Law+News%29

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/n...z/-/index.html

http://www.etravelblackboardasia.com...-year-old-girl
78 Off Site, 89 Off Site, 93 Caribbean Beach, 94 Wilderness Lodge, 94 Caribbean Beach, 96 Dixie Landings, 99 Port Orleans, 00 Disneyland Hotel, 01 Coronado Springs, 02 Coronado Springs, 02 Port Orleans FQ, 03 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 03 Marriott DT Disney/Wilderness Lodge, 04 Animal Kingdom Lodge/Disney Wonder, October 04 Living in Celebration and loving it! 05 Paradise Pier/Grand Californian, 07 Disney Wonder, 07 Grand Floridian, 08 Yacht Club, 08 Adventures By Disney Viva Italia/Knights and Lights/DL Paris, 09 Grand Floridian, 09 Candy Cane Inn/1st D23 Expo, 09 Polynesian, 10 Summer Nightastic, 10 F&W's 15th, 11 Candy Cane Inn/DL/DCA, 11 D23 Scavenger Hunt, 11 Wilderness Lodge/F&W/MNSS/HHN/MVMCP/15th Anniversary Trip, 11 Xmas Trip, 12 WD Family Museum/DL Hotel, 12 F&G, 12 Sept Trip, 12 Wilderness Cabins/F&W/HHN/Fall Trip, 13 January WDW Trip, 13 Paradise Pier/DL/DCA/Cars Land, 13 Sea World/Universal/WDW, 13 Disney Dream/F&W, 14 HHN/F&W
224+ out of 224:
Old 05-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #119
DMMarla07860
DIS Veteran

So is there more then one side of this story out? Before I start blaming DCL, I would like to know. Sorry this happened to the girl, but the grandmother didn't do more it seems? I didn't fully ready this thread, just bits and pieces. Why is this just coming out now? Did they not tell someone once off the ship after the cruise? I need all the facts before I start taking sides. Though I am sorry for the girl, but not going to judge because don't have all the facts
July 14th-18th, 2002- 3 Night Resort and 4 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, April 23rd-30th, 2005- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, August 19th-26th, 2006- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Double Dip Cruise, September 6th-9th, 2007- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, July 13th- 20th, 2008- Mexican Riviera Disney Magic Cruise, February 21st-28th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 28th-March 7th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Eastern Cruise, August 27th-30th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, December 10th-13th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, March 6th-13th, 2010- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 17th-20th, 2011- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, February 20th-24th, 2011- 4 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 27th-May 3rd, 2011- 6 Night LA to Vancouver Disney Wonder Cruise
February 16th-19th, 2012- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 21st-28th, 2012- 7 Night Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise(first one),
June 15th-17th, 2012- 2 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC), August 17th- 25th, 2012- 8 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC)March 16th-23rd, 2013-7 Night Disney Fantasy Western March 23rd-30th, 2013-Disney Fantasy EasternUpcoming Cruises: November 20th-24th, 2013- Disney Magic
Old 05-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #120
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Thank you Bluestar.

That was awful to watch. That poor girl. In just seconds. He's even looking around!!! This is disgusting! There was no reason for him to look around and enter the elevator. That lil girl probably thought he was an elevator operator, an employee. Good lord.

DMMarla, I agree, we don't need to take sides. The video is just disturbing in itself.

The security report said he "grabbed her breast, gropped her and then kissed her, mouth to mouth". How is an 11 year old going to make that up?
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 05-21-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: