Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #91
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
What I find disgusting is how quick people are to assume the worst. Read rhe whole thread. Disney did not make a decision to leave, a person did, the captain of the ship and/or port athorities. Did the captain know about the incident and investigation? We dont know. Did he decide to leave in attmpt to protect Disney? i seriouly doubt it. And speculating that he did is pure conjecture. What is disgusting is the assualt. There is no evidence that DCL did anything wrong. You can opine about what you think should have happened but you don't see all the cards....only an inconclusive video and what a reporter said. This happened over 2 hrs...the busiest 2 hrs of the cruise....just before departure during a safety dill and all the last minute logistics.

I understand people's knee jerk reaction as I had the sme reaction. But this is why we don't use lynch mobs to administer criminal justice and law enforcement.
That's why authorities needed to be call in. Not Disney's law. This man should have come back to Florida to be arrested. Whether that be right then and there or a day later or a week later. But letting him off and shipping him back to his country(i.e. sweeping it under the rug) was the wrong decision.

What this man did or didn't do is besides the point. It's what Disney did when they had the evidence or supposed evidence in front of them. And yes this is on DISNEY. Everyone from the room steward to the captain to the toilet cleaner is a representative of Disney.
ZoeBell is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #92
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,031

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBell View Post
That's why authorities needed to be call in. Not Disney's law. This man should have come back to Florida to be arrested. Whether that be right then and there or a day later or a week later. But letting him off and shipping him back to his country(i.e. sweeping it under the rug) was the wrong decision.

What this man did or didn't do is besides the point. It's what Disney did when they had the evidence or supposed evidence in front of them. And yes this is on DISNEY. Everyone from the room steward to the captain to the toilet cleaner is a representative of Disney.
I disagree totally. I am not a lawyer but this whole thread is based on a lot of assumptions and conjecture. I personally don't believe anyone would intentionally cover up a child molestation to protect a corporation but that is what you et al are saying.
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #93
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,031

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
But....it wasn't Costa or Carnival who crashed that ship, either. It was the stupid Captain, yet posts everywhere... not just here....were crucifying Carnival. What's the difference?
Are you saying payback is harsh? 2 wrongs make a right?

In this case, we don't even know if the security officer told the captain prior to departure. They may have been at sea before the captain was notified and then maritime law dictates. And you do not go back to port, you turn the suspect over to authorities at the next port.
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #94
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
I disagree totally. I am not a lawyer but this whole thread is based on a lot of assumptions and conjecture. I personally don't believe anyone would intentionally cover up a child molestation to protect a corporation but that is what you et al are saying.
I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying Disney had no authority to take it upon themselves to settle this manner they way they did. This supposed crime occurred in the US. Therefore Disney had the obligation to call the authorities and let them do their job.

Does the US gov't even know about this? Did the guy turn right around and go back to the US? Is he working for another cruise line?

What if this CM was accused of murder? Should Disney still have done what they did? People have been prosecuted for cruise crimes.
ZoeBell is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #95
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it
 
honeymo78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ridley Park, PA
Posts: 4,133

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBell View Post

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying Disney had no authority to take it upon themselves to settle this manner they way they did. This supposed crime occurred in the US. Therefore Disney had the obligation to call the authorities and let them do their job.

Does the US gov't even know about this? Did the guy turn right around and go back to the US? Is he working for another cruise line?

What if this CM was accused of murder? Should Disney still have done what they did? People have been prosecuted for cruise crimes.
Florida police were notified the day after the incident. It does not appear that they launched their own investigation.
__________________
-Stephanie-
Me stitch eva nala
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

honeymo78 is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #96
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,031

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBell View Post
I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying Disney had no authority to take it upon themselves to settle this manner they way they did. This supposed crime occurred in the US. Therefore Disney had the obligation to call the authorities and let them do their job.

Does the US gov't even know about this? Did the guy turn right around and go back to the US? Is he working for another cruise line?

What if this CM was accused of murder? Should Disney still have done what they did? People have been prosecuted for cruise crimes.
Your premise is wrong.

NM. You've already made up your mind. I don't know when they concluded an assault had occurred and if the captain knew this before they left but apparently you do.
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #97
cgolf
Mouseketeer
 
cgolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 478

Watching the report what amazed me was that the scumbag did this with the door open in a public area. In fact in the video you can see someone come down the steps as he is in the act.

Unfortunately for this girl no one decided to use the elevators so he could have been stopped. I am sickened by the brazenness this guy showed. Too bad they didn't bring him back.

Cgolf
__________________
Magic 1/08, 1/09, 1/10, 1/11, 11/13
Dream 1/12
Wonder Hawaii 4/12
Fantasy 1/13, 1/14
cgolf is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #98
rhorsley
Mouseketeer
 
rhorsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeymo78 View Post

Florida police were notified the day after the incident. It does not appear that they launched their own investigation.
The Bahamian police were notified the day after. The FL authorities were never given an opportunity to investigate since he was returned to India.
__________________
rhorsley is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #99
rhorsley
Mouseketeer
 
rhorsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 169

Also, there are Cameras in the elevator. They were likely not released in order to protect the victim who is also a minor.
__________________
rhorsley is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #100
Wadekind
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBell View Post
I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying Disney had no authority to take it upon themselves to settle this manner they way they did. This supposed crime occurred in the US. Therefore Disney had the obligation to call the authorities and let them do their job.

Does the US gov't even know about this? Did the guy turn right around and go back to the US? Is he working for another cruise line?

What if this CM was accused of murder? Should Disney still have done what they did? People have been prosecuted for cruise crimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
Your premise is wrong.

NM. You've already made up your mind. I don't know when they concluded an assault had occurred and if the captain knew this before they left but apparently you do.
The first person it was reported to should have called the local authorities as well as their own chain of command.
If DCL has a policy or a work culture in place that prevents this from happening it is for one reason only and that is to keep it in house until they have had time to do damage control.
If someone came to me to say their daughter had been molested my very first call would have been to the local police not my supervisor or in house security.
Crimes and accusations are reported to the police. PERIOD. Unless you are the police and the local prosecutor you have no authority to decide if an accusation has merit.
DCL screwed this one up. There is never an excuse to delay reporting something like this.
Wadekind is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #101
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekind View Post
The first person it was reported to should have called the local authorities as well as their own chain of command. Wrong. It was reported to GS. It anyone 'should' called the cops, the grandparents shoud have. Don't put this on GS. They did what they should have on, called security.
If DCL has a policy or a work culture in place that prevents this from happening it is for one reason only and that is to keep it in house until they have had time to do damage control. Baseless conjecture.
If someone came to me to say their daughter had been molested my very first call would have been to the local police not my supervisor or in house security.
Crimes and accusations are reported to the police. PERIOD. Unless you are the police and the local prosecutor you have no authority to decide if an accusation has merit. I doubt it was reported as a molestation. An 11 yo Brazilian girl told her grandparents a guy touched me. The presumably Brailian, Portuguese speaking grandparents relayed this to GS.
DCL screwed this one up. There is never an excuse to delay reporting something like this.
Nothing is ever as clear cut as our first assumptions.
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #102
linkandclover
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
I saw the video. Unfortunately it's not exactly conclusive evidence of anything.

Now they should have done something and they screwed up by the numbers.

(However, I admit that the police department's "indignation" is one of those "of course we would have done something" As someone who has reported child abuse, I am skeptical! It's a lot easier to "claim we would have acted" but unfortunately I have seen "we will get there when we get there" unless you wind up with a life threatening issue! I got action by saying "if you are not here in half an hour I am calling the Chief and the local news media" That worked but.... )
Glad you said what i have been thinking. I am not sure how many people here have dealt with the police or child protective services before but there is a harsh reality here that has nothing to do with Disney. This was not, in any way the emergency people perceive it was as I have been told many times by CPS "if the child is out of danger they will get to it" (this is called triage). The same holds true for the police department ( A 4 car pile up takes first priority over a child- now safe- who was touched and kissed by a male on a boat). Now don't attack me for this as I work with survivors of sexual assault and incest on a regular basis and I know what they go through and I would never minimize the trauma for what it is.

Should Disney have called the police immediately, sure, but this was not rape or murder and so you are left with something vague and less clear cut (he kissed you, he touched you- many people can get confused by this because it is less severe and dramatic and therefore respond less dramatically). (How many of you have seen a parent spank a child in public and not called the police yet by your own statements this is abuse and wrong.) Corporations tend to review these events internally first so if you don't want them involved call the police first. There are numerous cases all over the media where this has occurred and been ignored and for much more horrific crimes. If the crew involved decided to watch the video, the one online is very unclear and the predators behavior is odd because he left the door open. This may have created some confusion and caused delay.

For those who think that the American legal system would have done a better job than Bahama or possibly India ( I have not seen any reports about what transpired other than him returning to his native country) remember that OJ Simpson was acquitted for murder despite DNA evidence because a glove did not fit, and I have worked with several individuals who have been sexually abused by relatives or raped and these crimes continue to go unpunished despite multiple police reports and CPS investigations because the allegations came out after the fact and there was not enough proof to go forward.

Last edited by linkandclover; 05-21-2013 at 08:55 PM.
linkandclover is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #103
hrhdhd
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
But, like I said about the Parks, it's Disney policy to not declare a death inside the Parks.....so somewhere there are probably a long list of rules about how to place "Disney" in the best possible light, no matter how dire the situation.
Not to change the subject, but the Snopes article about this issue is worth a read:

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/declare.asp
__________________
hrhdhd

Cruise Booked:
Princess Ruby 11/14 Western Caribbean, RCCL Brilliance 05/15 Transatlantic

Cruises Taken:
HAL Zuiderdam 08/05 Western Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/05 Eastern Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/06 Western Caribbean, Princess Dawn 05/07 Alaska, HAL Westerdam 12/07 Eastern Caribbean, Princess Island 12/08 Panama Canal, HAL Ryndam 11/09 Western Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 01/10 Southern Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/10 Southern Caribbean, Disney Magic 05/11 Transatlantic, Princess Emerald 12/11 Southern Caribbean, Azamara Quest 10/12 Sicily / Malta, Princess Emerald 11/12 Eastern Caribbean, HAL Eurodam 03/13 Eastern Caribbean, Azamara Quest 08/13 Northern Europe, HAL Eurodam 11/13 Western Caribbean
hrhdhd is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #104
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,031

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhdhd View Post
Not to change the subject, but the Snopes article about this issue is worth a read:

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/declare.asp
Pretty funny.

No doubt at all that Disney is very protective of he Disney brand but I don't buy the implications that they covered up a molestation to protect the brand.
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #105
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeymo78 View Post

Florida police were notified the day after the incident. It does not appear that they launched their own investigation.
Florida authorities planned to meet the ship back in port to conduct an investigation. Instead of following through and corporating with Florida police Disney reported it to Bahamas authorities who basically looked the other way and let Disney do what they pleased.
ZoeBell is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.