Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
baseballchris
Earning My Ears

Question Has anyone ever had a rainout?

I don't mean to put a damper on anyone's plans, but I have to ask the question. Has anyone ever had rain for their entire 7 day cruise? We are new to cruising (have only been on the Dream once) and the entire family had a great time, which is saying a lot because the kids are spread out in age (DS 16, DS 13, DS 9.). I was so happy that everyone was happy I want to do the Fantasy in late August, but am very concerned about weather and rough seas. This is the only time we can go that we can afford and the kids aren't in school.

Thoughts?
baseballchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Unless you get a hurricane, it'll probably be hot gorgeous weather. It's not impossible to get washed out, but it would have to be a pretty large system. If it's a depression or wave that's not massive, they can prob go around it (usually they try to.)

I would think Dec/Jan/Feb would have wetter winter weather (tropical systems notwithstanding.)

TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

our cruise last May 26 had a bunch of rain.

Costa Maya it downpoured all day ( people coming back from the Mayan ruins tours were covered in mud)
Cozumel -- rain on and off all day
Gr Cayman - cloudy overcast... rain that day too.
CC -- it looked like it would pour.. but it didnt.

our sea days were great though.
and it was still our best cruise yet!!

Sept / Oct can be hurricane season and we have cruised 3x during that time. no problems
Old 05-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

I think it's unlikely that each day on a 7 day would be a complete wash out .
Based on our experience, (five 7 day & five 4 day cruises since 2001) we've had excellent weather for a vast majority of the time. We've sailed during the months of January, April, May, June, September, October & December. On a 7 day last June, we had a MAJOR Down Pour when doing the Ruins tour on Costa Maya, it rained so hard it cancelled the tour. Funny thing it was sunny by the port & the beaches near by. In October 2011, while cruising on the Dream, the 1st morning, it was cold, rainy, WINDY & just plain miserable. Once we docked in Nassau, the weather did a complete 180, & got a lot better. Full disclosure, last October, while our cruise weather was very good, we just beat Hurricane Sandy back to port. It pretty much washed out a day & a half at WDW . It also pretty much stayed with us driving home to Tennessee.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
sambycat
DIS Veteran

i think we have had rain on every one of our 5 cruises thus far. it hasn’t been unrelenting rain and we have cruised from august to january, the weather we have experienced has been in line with what i expect from a tropical vacation and has been fabulous!!!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
modisneychick
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic3forme View Post
our cruise last May 26 had a bunch of rain.

Costa Maya it downpoured all day ( people coming back from the Mayan ruins tours were covered in mud)
Cozumel -- rain on and off all day
Gr Cayman - cloudy overcast... rain that day too.
CC -- it looked like it would pour.. but it didnt.

our sea days were great though.
and it was still our best cruise yet!!

Sept / Oct can be hurricane season and we have cruised 3x during that time. no problems
We were also on this cruise. It was the worst weather I have ever had on a cruise, and I have sailed during multiple hurricanes. We absolutely loved the Fantasy, but really missed the sun!
Recent Trips: October 2013 - Saratoga Springs & Disney Fantasy; July 2013 - Vero Beach; May 2013 - Disney Wonder Alaska; March 2013 - Old Key West & Vero Beach Teen Trip; January 2013 (Dh & DD only) Disney Wonder; Nov/Dec 2012 Beach Club Villas & Disney Dream; May/June 2012 - Beach Club Villas, Disney Fantasy, & Vero Beach; December 2011 - Beach Club Villas & Disney Dream; May/June 2011 - Vero Beach, Disney Dream, & Beach Club Villas; and February 2011 - Saratoga Springs Teen Trip
Upcoming Trips: April 2014 - Disney's Vero Beach Resort; July 2014 Disneyland Paris & Disney Magic 12-Night Med; October 2014 Disney Magic Southern Caribbean; October 2014 Repo Cruise from San Juan to Port Canaveral; June 2015 - Disney Magic 11 night Norway/Iceland
Twitter: modisneychick
Disney Travels on Facebook: Disney Dreaming
modisneychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

We cruised twice out of California in January and worried both times about the weather, but we had PERFECT days of sun before during and after. We were super excited to try a new port and did Galveston to W.Carrib last January. The three pre-cruise days were awful, cold windy and wet. The sea days were chilly, and we couldn't port in Costa Maya b/c of the wind. Grand Cayman was the only sunny day. The weather was so bad dh said he will NEVER cruise out of Galveston again, no matter how cheap the tickets, lol. Oh we got fogged in the last day and didn't port until 3pm- not that I would usually complain about MORE time onboard, but out flights out of Houston were at 5pm, there were 8 of us and 3500pp all trying to reschedule flights out. Some people had to wait several days to fly home and some paid a TON of money to change. What we learned thru this is GET TRIP INSURANCE!
ps- the weather may have sucked but the cruise was still amazing!
TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
alaskanabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
anniemck
DIS Veteran

Hurricane season is June 1-November 30, anything can happen at anytime. I have been on cruises where it has rained everyday, and was happy that the adult pool/hot tub area had a cover on it, I had a great time. I usually do my own thing in ports, so if it rains, I will just stay on the ship and enjoy the hot tub/pool some more.
The height of season, and busiest day traditionally for Hurricane season is Sept 10.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: