Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

Question;Disney Cruise to Private Island/Black Pearl

I have never been on a Disney cruise, could you tell me about this. Do all of the Disney cruises go to their private island that has the Black Pearl, or maybe now its the Flying Dutchman, the ship from the Pirates of the C movies. Can you actually get on that ship? Or is is just a static prop in the lagoon, just to look at?

Is the disney private island just one of several islands disney cruises go to or do they just go to this single private island? Do you stay at the island during the day then just go back to the ship at night? I take it is just kind of like a nice private beach out in the middle of the caribbean?
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

Castaway Cay is Disney's private island. Most itineraries make a stop there arriving around 9 (give or take) and leaving around 4-5. There is a lot or nothing to do on the island depending on what you like to do. This is not the only port stop Disney ships make. The Bahama cruises usually stop at Nassua and the Caribbean cruises make stops depending on whether you are going Eastern or Western Caribbean (and Southern in OCT2014).

The Flying Dutchman was anchored there a while back but it has been almost two years or so since they demolished it. It was a movie prop. You could not access the ship. It did, however, lend for some great pictures especially with Jack Sparrow on the beach. Unfortunately the salt water took it's toll and the ship was deteriorating quickly and was demolished.
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAviator View Post
I have never been on a Disney cruise, could you tell me about this. Do all of the Disney cruises go to their private island that has the Black Pearl, or maybe now its the Flying Dutchman, the ship from the Pirates of the C movies. Can you actually get on that ship? Or is is just a static prop in the lagoon, just to look at?

Is the disney private island just one of several islands disney cruises go to or do they just go to this single private island? Do you stay at the island during the day then just go back to the ship at night? I take it is just kind of like a nice private beach out in the middle of the caribbean?
The Flying Dutchman used to be at Castaway Cay. It was just a movie set/prop. The salt and weather eventually made it unsafe. It was dismantled in Oct 2010. Here's a picture taken at the beginning of Oct 2010 before it was taken down.

AFAIK, all cruises out of PC go to CC. And there are probably some others, but not all do.

Castaway Cay is located on an island belonging to the Bahamas. It's a private resort-style beach for DCL guests only. There are activities available (bikes, snorkeling, youth activities, water slides, etc) and Cookies (I and II) for food.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

OK thanks, that is disappointing, the Flying Dutchman looked very cool. I believe it was first the Black Pearl that was converted to the Flying Dutchman, or maybe it was the Queen Anns Revenge for the 4th one, but I am not positive about that. Expensive prop.
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: