Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #2851
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Got here safely and it was a nice day yesterday. Just about to leave to Burbank for the tour this morning but here is a quick update from yesterday. My DA and I got to Anaheim around 4pm and we ate at the ESPN Zone as our favorite restaurant at the DLR. We watched a lot of NBA Playoff games yesterday. Even though it was hot during the afternoon, the nighttime was so great in the mid 60s. I went to the park last night and it was quite busy in early May. I was able to watch Magical fireworks last night and it was a little disappointment where Tink or Dumbo flew last night. It was not that windy and I was kind of surprised that they didn't fly during Magical. But it didn't stop me of having a great time watching Magical. I also got to have a Dole Float where I don't get that.

Here are some pics from yesterday with the new lens that I bought the Nikkor 18-105mm lens.

I will update you later today from the WDSaA.
Bret,
How could I not be subscribed to your report?? I missed so much. I saw that Sherry had posted about your trip report in the Christmas thread so I did a little investigating. Better late to the party than never arrive I guess.

I love the pictures here with your new camera lens. Did you enjoy the tour of the WDS? I looks nice and informative.

Anything else I've missed from you? Other trip reports? Hope all is well. Sounds like you've been very busy at work.

TK
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #2852
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Another great update. I loved looking at all those 1st day passes. Wonder how much one of those would sell for on eBay?

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2013, 03:01 AM   #2853
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Bret,
How could I not be subscribed to your report?? I missed so much. I saw that Sherry had posted about your trip report in the Christmas thread so I did a little investigating. Better late to the party than never arrive I guess.

I love the pictures here with your new camera lens. Did you enjoy the tour of the WDS? I looks nice and informative.

Anything else I've missed from you? Other trip reports? Hope all is well. Sounds like you've been very busy at work.

TK
Hi TK,

It's nice to see you back on the thread with the latest update. It has been awhile since you have posted on this thread.

The Nikkor 18-105mm lens is a nice addition to my DSLR and the quality is very nice. There were a few times that the pictures were not that good but it is still a learning experience. My DA and I enjoyed the tour a lot that we will consider doing it again in the near future. Maybe not next year unless I go with someone else where I will go again. The best part of the WDSaA tour is just beginning with yesterday update. So stay tune for more updates later on. It is something that any Disney fan would want to do and I can't believe it took me 4 years to do this tour when D23 was formed in 2009.

I had my annual Holiday trip in November of last year and the January trip with my aunt (not my DA that goes with me to the Disney parks a lot) with her BF and DD2 now DD3 which was her first time to Disneyland and she had a great time. You can go back on my links and read about it which was a nice experience where I haven't done some rides, shows and dining experience for quite some time.

I haven't been lately on the threads since I got a new job. It is nice to work again but it not the same when I am not on the threads talking to you and the other DISers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Another great update. I loved looking at all those 1st day passes. Wonder how much one of those would sell for on eBay?
Thank you PiO. Seeing all these interesting items that Dave Smith showed us was so neat. It was nice to show all those different passes of the Disney parks. I would say those tickets would be worth a lot of money to any hardcore Disney fan. I wonder what Alison would pay for those tickets?
mvf-m11c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #2854
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 – May 4, 2013 – Part 7

Day 2 – May 4, 2013 – Part 7

On our last update, our group in the Disney Archives room at the Frank G Wells building and we were seeing all the cool items that Dave Smith the founder of the Disney Archives showed us during the tour. He showed us a lot of great items during the tour and now we are free to look around the Archives room.

When I looked at all the items that Dave Smith showed us, I went around the room to look at and take as many pictures as I can.

Animation Cels

The case that I had got pictures from earlier which really interested me the most. A model of the company plane.

From the Carolwood Pacific which was Walt’s backyard railroad at his house. It was very neat to see personal items from the Carolwood Pacific Railroad at the Archives.

[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7428/8716196120_a1c48bd775_b.jpg/img]

Some of Walt earlier works and drawings

A picture of WD when he was 10 months old and Walt in the Red Cross. His passport and order paper during his days in the Red Cross.

Walt’s personal 16mm camera and projector that he used for some of the live footage of Saludos Amigos

Different awards that Walt won over the years

We looked at the next case which had different props and items used in the movies. The one that I thought was the neatest in the case was the snow globe that was used in the movie Mary Poppins.

The next case right next to it had Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs toys and books.

That’s it for this post and I will have more from the WDSaA tour.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #2855
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

The tour looks fascinating!! I love the history behind the WDS. Did you have enought time to see everthing you wanted to??
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:51 AM   #2856
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Very interesting! Some of the cases were exactly the same as when I was there in August. (prince of Persia capsule, sorcerer's apprentice ring, that case) All the other cases were completely different as were the artwork that was around the room.

He showed us the same guide books, and told us the story about how Walt produced them cheap so that everyone would take one home and show them off to their friends and neighbors, and tell them about Disneyland. We didn't see the marriage certificate or baptism, but some of the same ticket books.

I couldn't resist taking my picture with the Oscar, I mean when will I ever get to hold one again!

Great updates! I hope you enjoyed your studio tour, even the part waiting in the Frank G Wells building was cool. That was all different from when I was there too. I think maybe when we see another one of those come up on the D23 site, we should do it again. Fran wasn't feeling well that day, I think she would enjoy a do-over.
Alison ~~~~ Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Our Disney Dream Home| Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #2857
PrincessInOz
in

Love the showcases. lots and lots of detail there.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 05-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #2858
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
The tour looks fascinating!! I love the history behind the WDS. Did you have enought time to see everthing you wanted to??
The D23 tour was so great and it was worth every penny. There was a lot of great history of the WDS and the mysteries surrounding the Disney Company. For only 2 1/2 hours which went by so quickly that it didn't felt like 2 1/2 hours. It felt like 1 hour during the tour and we didn't get a lot of time at the Disney Archives and the Disney Legends Plaza which I will tell you about later on during the posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Very interesting! Some of the cases were exactly the same as when I was there in August. (prince of Persia capsule, sorcerer's apprentice ring, that case) All the other cases were completely different as were the artwork that was around the room.

He showed us the same guide books, and told us the story about how Walt produced them cheap so that everyone would take one home and show them off to their friends and neighbors, and tell them about Disneyland. We didn't see the marriage certificate or baptism, but some of the same ticket books.

I couldn't resist taking my picture with the Oscar, I mean when will I ever get to hold one again!

Great updates! I hope you enjoyed your studio tour, even the part waiting in the Frank G Wells building was cool. That was all different from when I was there too. I think maybe when we see another one of those come up on the D23 site, we should do it again. Fran wasn't feeling well that day, I think she would enjoy a do-over.
I remember during your trip report last year that the cases were a little different during your visit. It was neat to see something different instead of the items during your trip report.

I remember Dave Smith saying thing you have said during your trip report of selling the guide books so cheap so that everyone could take home and show them off to their friends and family. That was a genius idea from Walt to advertise Disneyland during the early days.

I thought about holding the Oscar but I wanted to get more pictures of the cases and all the different things to look at in the Archives room.

Thank you Alison. My DA and I enjoyed the tour a lot and wish that it lasted longer than 2 1/2 hours. The Frank G Wells building was the highlight of the tour especially going through the Disney Archives and meeting Dave Smith. It was nice to see different stuff after reading and seeing all your great pictures when you at the Disney Archives. There is an upcoming D23 Day at The Walt Disney Studios and Archives on June 1st and the last one on the event schedule is November 2nd. You and Fran could possibly go to the November tour. I would say the same thing that Fran would enjoy a do-over at the WDS.

Quote:
Love the showcases. lots and lots of detail there.
Thank you PiO.

The next post will be up shortly.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:40 AM   #2859
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 – May 4, 2013 – Part 8

Day 2 – May 4, 2013 – Part 8

On our last update, our group in the Disney Archives room at the Frank G Wells building and we were seeing all the cool items that Dave Smith the founder of the Disney Archives showed us during the tour. I was looking at all the different cases that had a lot of different items that were used in past movies. We got to see a lot of different toys from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

After looking at the case with the Snow White and Seven Dwarfs toys, books, etc. now I was looking at the case on the left hand side which had a lot of different Disney character toys, watches, buttons, etc. which were neat. There were a lot of different things in the case during the early days.

Donald Duck and Pluto toys, cups during the early days

Pinocchio and Dumbo toys

A lot of Disney watches

Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse toys, clocks, etc.

Kelly told us that we only had a few more minutes to go in the Archives until the next group turn to come in and see the Archives.

Annette Funicello costumes during her days during the Mickey Mouse Club

I head on over to Dave Smith table and asked him to sign my book. I asked my DA to get a picture of us together and this was the best picture that she took while I was getting my book signed.

Now we were asked to leave the Archives so the next group can come in and I had to get some last second pictures of the Archives before we left.

We have now exited the Archives while the next tour group which was the 10:30am group behind us is now about to head on in the Archives while we left the building.

While we were outside, she told us about the Frank G Wells building where the outside is painted with movie film which is very neat to see an outside of the building.

There were a lot of people walking down, I would have guess that it was the guests during the screening at the theater.

Now we were heading into the next best part after the Archives is the Disney Legends Plaza. It is the central hub for the Disney Legends awards and pays homage to the recipients. It was so neat to see the Disney Legends Plaza with all the different plaques of all the great people that contributed to the Disney Company.

Before we entered the Disney Legends Plaza, we got to see Walt Disney Heroes Award plaque

Kelly talked about the Disney Legends Plaza of how it was started and showing all the different plaques with recipients name, reason for getting the award and their hand print and signature. There were others that didn’t have hand prints or signatures since they didn’t received the award when they were alive. This was so amazing to see all the different plaques of all the recipients for the Disney Legends Award.

After she finished talking, we were now free to go around the Disney Legends Plaza to see all the different plaques and some statues that we have seen at Disney Parks around the US. Seeing the Michael D. Eisner Building in the background is so neat and amazing to see at the Disney Legends Plaza.

That’s it for this post and I will have more pictures from the Disney Legends Plaza and all the different plaques. That is a lot of picture taking of all the different plaques.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #2860
PrincessInOz
in

Nice!

Love that you got Dave Smith to sign your book.

I was really interested to see all of the archive merchandise in the cases. A work colleague was showing me a picture of something he's got in his collection....it's a Mickey themed bug spray can. The old fashion kind where you put the liquid in the barrel and there is a piston that you pump. He's been trying to find out where it originated from as no one seems to know.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #2861
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Nice!

Love that you got Dave Smith to sign your book.

I was really interested to see all of the archive merchandise in the cases. A work colleague was showing me a picture of something he's got in his collection....it's a Mickey themed bug spray can. The old fashion kind where you put the liquid in the barrel and there is a piston that you pump. He's been trying to find out where it originated from as no one seems to know.
Dave Smith is a very nice gentleman and it was nice of him to sign my book during the tour.

Looking through all the cases with the merchandise is very nice to see and see.

The next update will be up shortly.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:30 AM   #2862
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 – May 4, 2013 – Part 9

Day 2 – May 4, 2013 – Part 9

On our last update, we just finished going through the Disney Archives and now are at the Disney Legends Plaza to see all the different plaques of all the people that contributed to the Disney Company. It was something that I really wanted to see and we got to see the Disney Legends Plaza.

After Kelly let us go around the Disney Legends Plaza, I took on the task of going around the whole Legends Plaza and get pictures of all the different plaques.

The first one was Lucien Ades for Music, Angel Angelopoulos for Publishing, Poul Brahe Pederson for Publishing and Roberto De Leonardis for Film and all four of them were inducted on April 11, 1997.

The next one had some hand prints along with their signature. Orlando Ferrante for Imagineering, Buzz Price for Imagineering, Leonard Goldenson for Television, & Tim Conway for Film

I remember this one back in 2009 when Betty White and Bea Arthur were inducted at the first ever D23 Expo back in September 2009. It was neat to see both their plaques at the Disney Legends Plaza

Rue McClanahan and Estelle Getty were also inducted in 2009 during the D23 Expo.

Floyd Gottfredson for Publishing and Al Taliaferro for Publishing

Lillian Disney and Edna Disney plaques

Neil Gallagher Imagineering and Don Iwerks for Film Productions

Oliver Wallace for Music and Dorothea Redmond for Imagineering

Everyone was spread around the Disney Legends Plaza to see and take pictures of the plaques

Phil Collins for Music and Maurice Chevalier for Film & Music

Sir Tim Rice for Music and Sir John Mills for Film

Wally Boag and Fulton Burley for Attractions

Betty Taylor and Edwar Meck for Attractions

I Just kept looking down at all the plaques at the Disney Legends Plaza and it was going to take awhile to get all the pictures of the plaques during our limited time at Legends Plaza. I was determine to get every plaque during the tour.

Frank Wells for Administration and Jack Lindquist for Attractions

Russi Taylor for Voice and Wayne Allwine for Voice

Burny Mattinson and Walt Peregoy for Animation

Right across from the Disney Legends Plaza was the Animation Building

Alan Menken and Howard Ashman for Music

George Bruns and Frank Churchill for Music

Harriet Burns for Imagineering and Joyce Carlson for Animation & Imagineering

Retta Scott for Animation and Bob Broughton for Animation & Film

Dave Smith which we met a while ago and get to see his Disney Legends plaque along with Lucille Martin for Administration.

Tom Murphy for Administration and Roone Arledge for Television

That’s it for this post and I will have more pictures from the Disney Legends Plaza during the D23 Day at the Walt Disney Studios and Archives.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #2863
PrincessInOz
in

I love the handprints. They are just fantastic.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #2864
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 – May 4, 2013 – Part 10

Day 2 – May 4, 2013 – Part 10

On our last update, we were at the Disney Legends Plaza seeing all the different Disney Legends plaques. It was neat to see all the different plaques of all the different people. Seeing the hand prints of some of the them were neat to see and I had to get a lot of pictures of them. This was a lot of picture taking that afternoon and it was fun.

Now back with more pictures of the plaques at the Disney Legends Plaza. There were a lot of people who have contributed to the WD Company that I have known for my experience with Disney and some I have never heard until I went back and looked at their names.

Ron Dominguez and Cliff Edwards

There was Tim Allen plaque and Dick Jones which is the voice of Pinocchio back in 1940 WD film.

Kevin Corcoran and Tim Considine

Tommy Kirk and David Stollery

Joe Grant and Jack Hannah

Ken O’Connor and Peter Ellenshaw

Donn Tatum and Card Walker

Irving Ludwig and Harper Goff

Tommy Kirk and David Stollery

Ron Dominguez and Cliff Edwards

Claude Coats and Bill Evans plaques. I remember Claude Coats name a lot since he has done a lot of different attractions at Disneyland which his best works were Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion.

Sir Elton John and Joe Ranft

Peter Jennings and Jimmy Johnson

Mary Costa and Norman Ferguson

William Garity and Hmilton Luske

The famous Sherman Brothers (Richard and Robert) plaques which are known for their different music of the rides at Disneyland.

Now I got to another plaque that I have been looking forward to see was the Julie Andrews plaque. This is one of the few plaques that I have been looking forward to see at Disney Legends Plaza.

Julie Andrews plaque which she was dedicated on October 22, 1991.

There are two familiar names that I know so well at Disneyland. Art Linkletter and Steve Martin. Art Linkletter was the broadcaster for Disneyland opening in 1955. Steve Martin worked at Disneyland as his first job. I remember Steve Martin being played in the lobby of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln lobby before you enter the show.

It was neat to see Jack Wagner plaque. I know Jack Wagner name from the Walt Disney World Monorail famous Monorail message. He has done a lot of various announcements at Disneyland and WDW.

Kathryn Beaumont and Kurt Russell

Vladimir Tytla and Wilfred Jackson

Eric Larson and John Lounsbery

Wolfgang Eitherman and another one that I looked forward to was the Herb Ryman plaque. Herbert Ryman is a well known artist and did the first art design of Disneyland. Wolfgang Eithermanis one of the Disney’s Nine Old Men which were the core animators at the Walt Disney Company.

Mary Jones and Mary Anne Mang

That’s it for this post and I will have more pictures from the Disney Legends Plaza during the D23 Day at the Walt Disney Studios and Archives.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #2865
PrincessInOz
in

Thanks Bret. Really appreciate seeing the names, hands and autographs.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: