Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #46
justmestace



Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean
 
justmestace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 26,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by donalduck View Post
I see your point. I have no idea what it's like. I am sorry that you had to go through something like that. No one should ever have to go through anything like that. If I was that girl's father he would have went swimming.
Thank you....and I didn't take offense, I just get so angry that people would question the reaction of the parents (or grandmother in this case) and defend ANYONE who helped a criminal escape prosecution.
I don't necessarily mean to call YOU out...I just mean the whole situation just makes me ache all over again.
justmestace is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #47
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!
 
Silverfox97's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)
Posts: 6,121

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWescotts View Post
Why do people keep saying he was a head waiter???
I can tell by his uniform in the video. Definitely head waiter.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
Emily Scott Isabelle Tiger Bogey Zoe Singer Brutus
PLATINUM DCL Cruisers~ WDW Annual passholders since September 2007!

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #48
justmestace



Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean
 
justmestace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 26,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWescotts View Post
Why do people keep saying he was a head waiter??? It says At 4:48 p.m., the video was shown to a dining manager, who identified the suspect by name and position, a dining room server from India.

Also, people seem to not be thinking of these events in real time. The guest services investigator can't make the call to hold up the cast off, or to report it. He reports to his superiors, who reports to his, who reports to...it finally gets to the captain who either makes the call, or contacts a DCL Exec. It depends on their policies and management structure.

It is very possible that the person who makes the decision had enough information to make it before the ship sailed. Also, they know they can detain the guy on board...where is he gonna go?

We also don't know what conversations were had between DCL and the Grandmother. Did she say they would not cooperate with any investigation? Were they satisfied with the decision to send him back to India, and thought that justice enough? Did DCL bribe them with free cruises for 10 year? We just don't know.

I don't believe this for a second. In the real world, the minute a call is made that there's been a rape, molestation, whatever, the police are called and THEN the investigation starts.
Think about the times when the suspect is unknown......do the cops wait to take a report until they FIND the suspect?? NO.

There is NO EXCUSE for DCL not calling the Florida police the second the little girl came to them. Especially when they have video. NO EXCUSE.
justmestace is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #49
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,034

It's easy to blame "Disney" but it was not Disney failed to act, it was the people, Disney employees - the head of security and the Captain should both be fired.

When the Costa Cordia sank and killed all those people the tendancey was to blame "Carnival" but it was the Captain who caused the disaster.

Disney will end up paying this child millions in an undisclosed settlement.
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #50
justmestace



Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean
 
justmestace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 26,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
I can tell by his uniform in the video. Definitely head waiter.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
But the report (the written DCL one) and the article and also people who had this person as a server are saying he was a SERVER, not a head waiter. Not sure why he had on the uniform that he did, I'm not familiar with what they wear when they aren't serving.

And actually, it makes no difference at all what his position was. I think the only reason anyone is asking is because the article said "Server" but some people have said on here that he was a Head Server, and they're only wanting clarification....or if they've stated that he was a Head Server, they didn't read the article fully or listen to the newscast, because regardless of what uniform he's wearing in the video, it was stated that he was a Server.
justmestace is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #51
justmestace



Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean
 
justmestace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 26,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
It's easy to blame "Disney" but it was not Disney failed to act, it was the people, Disney employees - the head of security and the Captain should both be fired.

When the Costa Cordia sank and killed all those people the tendancey was to blame "Carnival" but it was the Captain who caused the disaster.

Disney will end up paying this child millions in an undisclosed settlement.

You are absolutely right. I did say "Disney" as a generalization.....meaning the people who were in charge at the time, who are Disney employees.
I'm sorry. It's just easier to type the single "Disney" than to type out the positions held by each person who dropped the ball.

But, like I said about the Parks, it's Disney policy to not declare a death inside the Parks.....so somewhere there are probably a long list of rules about how to place "Disney" in the best possible light, no matter how dire the situation.
justmestace is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #52
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay
 
NoSoup4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 381

They ID'd the head server 14 min BEFORE the ship left the dock. So at that moment, Disney could have had him arrested. But they didnt! Instead, they waited. For what? Who knows! its all very strange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
I'm not defending Disney AT ALL. I have a daughter and I would not want her touched.

However. Did some digging. Family didn't want to press charges. She's a Brazilian gal; not sure about family. Story seems witch-hunt like - where is the source/why bring up now if it happened in Aug.? When the crew member (Head Server) was identified at 4:48pm, the ship is already pulling away. That is when the positive ID was made by the dining room manager.

Disney is not a buncha idiots. Lawyers vet every single move they make, every action they take. I imagine their internal security did their investigation first, which would happen at WDW as well (yes, I realize that DCL is flagged in the Bahamas).

There's something off about this investigation.... And yes, I'd say that regardless if what cruise line it was reported on!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

The info was in the first or second link that was posted. its a video link. In that video they said the 11 yr olds grandma decided not to press charges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
Where did you find the information that the family didn't want to press charges? I searched for info and didn't find that.

Yes, VERY disgusting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
DISGUSTING. Especially because Disney is supposed to be all about family...and they covered it up and helped a criminal escape. Disgusting.
NoSoup4U is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #53
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!
 
Silverfox97's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)
Posts: 6,121

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post

But the report (the written DCL one) and the article and also people who had this person as a server are saying he was a SERVER, not a head waiter. Not sure why he had on the uniform that he did, I'm not familiar with what they wear when they aren't serving.

And actually, it makes no difference at all what his position was. I think the only reason anyone is asking is because the article said "Server" but some people have said on here that he was a Head Server, and they're only wanting clarification....or if they've stated that he was a Head Server, they didn't read the article fully or listen to the newscast, because regardless of what uniform he's wearing in the video, it was stated that he was a Server.
Yeah - I've never seen a regular server in a white officer-type jacket with gold stripes on the shoulder. In fact, at first, DH & I thought he was an officer (before they said what he did), until we noticed he had on black pants instead of officer whites.

You are right, it doesn't matter. He's scum regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
Emily Scott Isabelle Tiger Bogey Zoe Singer Brutus
PLATINUM DCL Cruisers~ WDW Annual passholders since September 2007!

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #54
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!
 
Silverfox97's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)
Posts: 6,121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
It's easy to blame "Disney" but it was not Disney failed to act, it was the people, Disney employees - the head of security and the Captain should both be fired.

When the Costa Cordia sank and killed all those people the tendancey was to blame "Carnival" but it was the Captain who caused the disaster.

Disney will end up paying this child millions in an undisclosed settlement.
Whoa - fire the captain? No way. Absolutely not. Come on. That's a little harsh. Completely does not compare to the Concordia incident.

A settlement and a they probably had that cruise for free, but millions? Really? Doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
Emily Scott Isabelle Tiger Bogey Zoe Singer Brutus
PLATINUM DCL Cruisers~ WDW Annual passholders since September 2007!

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #55
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWescotts View Post

We also don't know what conversations were had between DCL and the Grandmother. Did she say they would not cooperate with any investigation? Were they satisfied with the decision to send him back to India, and thought that justice enough? Did DCL bribe them with free cruises for 10 year? We just don't know.

Who made Disney, police, judge and jury?
ZoeBell is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #56
cgolf
Mouseketeer
 
cgolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 483

Read through most of this, and it definitely sounds like Disney dropped the ball on the timing of the reporting, post that firing of the employee and sending them off ship at the first stop was the proper steps. Heads should roll though for the not reporting the incident stateside.

The question I have is are the laws in the US different than the Bahamas for an incident like this. Would the perpetrator been automatically charged even if the family did not want to press charges here in the US? If the answer is yes, than DCL would have more to answer for, that is of course if they could prove that DCL's intent in not reporting it was to cover it up and protect their employee. Sorry if this has been asked and answered.

cgolf
__________________
Magic 1/08, 1/09, 1/10, 1/11, 11/13
Dream 1/12
Wonder Hawaii 4/12
Fantasy 1/13, 1/14
cgolf is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #57
littleaussie
I tell people my daughters are 75% American and 25% Australian
 
littleaussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 300

I guess I would question what his role was as a cast member because if he was a dining server, wouldn't he be in the dining room at 7:50 when he was questioned? The article is very vague on that part, mentioning the suspect 'roamed' the ship until 7:50 p.m. Do they mean that he was working his duties in the dining room or that he was wandering around?

It goes back to the accuracy of the news source. If he is a server, and was working the dining room, 'roaming the ship' is misleading or inaccurate. That lends to the suspicion of a credible news source.

I am not questioning the girl's story, just the accuracy of the news report.
__________________
September 2014 - Southern Caribbean Disney Magic Cruise
January 2014 - Windsor Palms TR
September 2012 - Disney, a wedding & DVC. . . Oh MY
January 2012 - Celebrating engagement with a Disney trip with a stay at WH
January 2011 - WH trip that will not be repeated!
December 2009 - Oak Plantation stay with Disney visit disaster
May 2008 - Traveling the WB Repo 2008 with an ex. . .
January 2006 - WDW at Oak Plantation+ Disney Cruise to the Bahamas
2003 and earlier - Numerous family trips too many to count!
littleaussie is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #58
Twinprincesses
DIS Veteran
 
Twinprincesses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brownsburg, IN
Posts: 2,032

He went up to that little girl with full intention of what he was going to do. How many other children did he do that too?? Disgusting. He followed her. Ugh it makes me sick knowing I have been on 3 ships. While there are pervs everywhere I guess we have let our guard down being on vacation especially on cruises.


No amount of money could pay me off to not have that ship turned around to have him taken to jail. That little girls vacation started out as a nightmare. Security should have held him until they got back to port and released him to Florida officials. He was just flown back home to victimize another child.
__________________
Chrissy
Married to Devon
Twin daughters 1-15-03Allison Zoe
Disney Dream October 2011
Vero Beach 7/2010
Disney Wonder 10/2009, Disney Magic 10/2008
Disneyland 10/2007 & 10/2006 , DisneyWorld 20+ trips

Twinprincesses is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #59
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
There is NO EXCUSE for DCL not calling the Florida police the second the little girl came to them. Especially when they have video. NO EXCUSE.
It's always easy to be an arm-chair captain and say what should have been done....but don't know all the facts and circumstances and timelines. That is the reason we have courts to flush out all the evidence. Some cases apprear cut and dry based on media reports but there is always more to the 'story' than gets reported. Let's let the judicial system work and not convict anyone based on what we think we know.
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #60
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
It's always easy to be an arm-chair captain and say what should have been done....but don't know all the facts and circumstances and timelines. That is the reason we have courts to flush out all the evidence. Some cases apprear cut and dry based on media reports but there is always more to the 'story' than gets reported. Let's let the judicial system work and not convict anyone based on what we think we know.
But thanks to Disney playing arm chair judge and jury the judicial system can't work.
ZoeBell is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.