Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #16
GOOFY4DONALD
DH finished his plate at 50's Prime Time. They were so proud they made it a Hidden Mickey!

Thank you all for such great replies. I wanted to add to my post our tentative plans. We are planning on arriving in Orlando on a Thurs, renting a car, and spending 3 days at Universal (never been to USO). Then returning the car and spending 6 nights at WDW. I really wanted to stay at BC but touring the Swan found it was pretty impressive. We would also get a teacher's discount so we would end up saving over 200.00 per night (over BC). That being said we have always used ME and the dining plan. I'm not saying that it would be a bad thing not to have them, just different.
WDW 2012 FW Cabins

GOOFY4DONALD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #17
patty57
DIS Veteran

We always used DME, but never the dining plan. For the S/D we use a town car. Only you can decide which you would rather do...stay at BC or save some money. Best of luck making your decision. You will have a great trip either way.
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #18
Minckemom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
I forgot to mention the views from the rooms, speaking of immersion.

Love the views! This was our room last time (apologize for poor pic quality, taken with an old iPhone a couple of years ago). Different views from different area of the hotels. See ToT in middle pic in the background. Beautiful at night, too.

Which type of room did you have?

Minckemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #19
chasgoose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionMouse View Post
Your nightly rate does not include the mandatory daily resort fee, plus if you are going to park your car they charge a daily fee too. I am not sure if this matters, but I will note the Dolphin is a convention hotel, so you would most likely encounter large business functions in the lobby area, bars and other main floor activity areas. For me, when I am on vacation I do not want to think of work so see others working and gossiping. I just didn't get the Disney feeling until I left the resort. Overall, we have stayed at most of the deluxe resorts and based upon our experiences would stay at a Disney Deluxe prior to the Swan or Dolphin and a non-convention resort before a convention resort. If financials are a driving factor the savings is something to consider.
Unless there is some crazy sale at the YC/BC, the S&D are almost always going to be cheaper, even after you factor in the extra costs. It's certainly more immersive and easier to stay on Disney property, but you pay for that convenience and experience. Personally, I find it worth it to pay for the Disney hotel, but if I couldn't afford a Deluxe, I would probably stay at the S&D before I dropped down to a moderate.
chasgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #20
msmileyface
Mouseketeer

I've stayed at the Swan before and I'm headed back in June. You really cannot beat the location, and the rooms are fantastic. The bed alone is a major selling point. I don't think you'll be disappointed at ALL! It feels like a luxury place!
msmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #21
DanInMN
Mouseketeer

We stayed at the Swan a few years back, and it was very nice. The theme is pure Corporate America, so if that's what you like you will feel right at home. Personally I prefer to get as far away from Corporate life as possible while on vacation. But the pricing and location are certainly tempting!
DanInMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #22
msmileyface
Mouseketeer

I am thinking about going to the Character dinner at the restaurant at the Swan.. anyone know how that is?
msmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #23
MissionMouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasgoose View Post
Unless there is some crazy sale at the YC/BC, the S&D are almost always going to be cheaper, even after you factor in the extra costs. It's certainly more immersive and easier to stay on Disney property, but you pay for that convenience and experience. Personally, I find it worth it to pay for the Disney hotel, but if I couldn't afford a Deluxe, I would probably stay at the S&D before I dropped down to a moderate.
I agree. Its a case you get what you pay for and I might consider S&D if we were unable to stay at a Deluxe. Stressing might.

Disney World - Magic Kingdom Entrance - Walk Around The World Brick Owner
Boardwalk Inn Photos
Typhoon Lagoon Photos
Wishes-Fireworks from PR & MK Photo Album - 30 Photos
Sea World and Marriott Rennaissance SW - Photo Album - 40+ Photos
Disney World Park and Deluxe Resort Photographs
MissionMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #24
clapton
Mouseketeer

If I couldn't stay at BC I would definitely stay at S&D. Stayed there for the first time in April, was surprised how nice it was. Would stay again.
clapton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #25
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Of you want a full disney experience go with BC. We stayed at the dolphin last year and it was nice dont get me wrong but you don't get the whole disney experience. The swan and dolphin are not owned by disney but are allowed to have the disney name. We love the BC and would much rather stay there any time. Dolphin and swan are convention hotels and disney had a company build them and run them because they wanted more convention traffic. Trust me on that they get a ton of convention traffic and a lot of the time they rent out the pool areas at the swan and dolphin so that can be selective. When we were their, there was a huge convention that pretty much made up the entire hotel. Go with BC you'll fall in love with it instantly.

disney lover at heart

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #26
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I love the Dolphin..that's my resort of choice between the two of them. We have had a few not so wonderful experiences at the Swan. Nothing huge but somewhat off-putting. So now I choose the Dolphin if I'm not at a Disney owned resort.
I seldom use the ddp, so that's not a big deal for me. And if you're going to save $200 a night staying at the S/D? You can then take a car service to/from the resort. You won't even miss DME!!!
I really don't understand the whole 'immersed in Disney' issue. There is a Disney gift shop. No, there are no Disney things all over the room, but seriously? After about 15 mins in my WDW resort room, I no longer notice the Disney stuff. And I love the S/D toiletries!!! Sooooo nice.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: