Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #16
Jeanieblue114
DIS Veteran

Wilderness lodge is fabulous and convenient to Mk and is fabulous.
They won't remember what they wanted once they walk in.
You do have the option of going over to AoA and looking around.
The cars area is super fun to take pics with all the cars.
You can have lunch or dinner at the food court there. it's pretty dead at lunch time so you can take a bus over from the park, look around have lunch have a break and head back.
the kids will have lots of chances in life to go to disney i bed (more than most people may realize).
Go with where you are comfy.
I've never ever heard a kid not enjoy going to wilderness lodge!!
2003 Disney's Hilton Head Resort
2004 Disneyworld Good Neighbor Hotel
2004 Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel
2005-2008 Disneyworld Good Neighbor Hotel Annually
July 2009 3 Nights Disney Good Neighbor
Sept-Oct 2009 5 Nights Disney's Old Key West
Feb-March 2010 Disney's Hilton Head Resort +1 month off-property
July Weekend off-property
September 2010 Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas-Jambo
December 2010 Disney's Old Key West Villas
Jeanieblue114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #17
disd55
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite626 View Post

Ok this could be the clincher. DH likes to be comfortable as he usually spends more time at the resort than the parks. And like some said, it's a break from all the Disney craziness. Looking at the pics of AoA, I'm afraid all the colors 24/7 would give me a migraine. WL for me. Maybe send the DD and kids to AoA and really relax. Hahaha!
If you or anyone in your family is spending more time at the resort, WL is the way to go. It is a beautiful resort, and if you've stayed there you'd know. You can even get a woods view which can have a view of Wishes at MK. Plus there is the Electric Magic Pageant, which is every night at 8 (in August. ) on Bay Lake, exclusively shown for BLT, CR and WL guests (possibly also FWC). There is absolutely nothing to do at Value resorts, especially for your DH. Deluxe resorts have so many more amenities, and WL is on the cheaper side of Deluxe, so it's a great deal. Values, IMHO, are more for people who spend more time at the parks, not to say you personally won't be out more, but if your DH won't be out a lot go with WL. You're paying, not the kids.

Last edited by disd55; 05-20-2013 at 04:29 PM.
disd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Babeck View Post
Do you think it would be a mistake to spend 5 nights @ Poly before staying 4 nights in an AoA suite (instead of doing it the other way around)? We're currently booked in the suite for our entire stay & thinking about splitting as this will be our 1st visit. There are 4 of us-the kids are 9 & 11.
I haven't stayed at These two, but seeing that Poly is a Delux and seems to have alot more to do on Resort ( ammenities, wishes from beach, Dining etc..) I would assume you might be spending more time at the Resort. Or at least WANT to spend more time at the Resort.

Also assuming most People, such as myself seem to go park crazy when the vacation starts..NOT spending so much time at Resort. Also this is your first trip so I would think the Parks would a focal Point.

Here I would definatley suggest do the AOA first, by the end of this part you may be a bit tired and Need to relax more. Here the pOly would be a welcom Change, plus you have 4 days of parks behind you.
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #19
amomma23
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefan73 View Post
I haven't stayed at These two, but seeing that Poly is a Delux and seems to have alot more to do on Resort ( ammenities, wishes from beach, Dining etc..) I would assume you might be spending more time at the Resort. Or at least WANT to spend more time at the Resort.

Also assuming most People, such as myself seem to go park crazy when the vacation starts..NOT spending so much time at Resort. Also this is your first trip so I would think the Parks would a focal Point.

Here I would definatley suggest do the AOA first, by the end of this part you may be a bit tired and Need to relax more. Here the pOly would be a welcom Change, plus you have 4 days of parks behind you.
I think this is good advice.

amomma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #20
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut

oh..you are like me! Also, the WL has a LOVELY hot tub ( a deal breaker for me) I like to soak at night even in the winter!
Not me!! DD is a CM and a CM she dated was responsible for the hot tubs at the resort she was previously working at! Since they are NOT adult only and they allow children in them, I will NOT use them!! Kids pee & poop in them! It's gross! And what's worse is that the water temp is even hotter than a pool & smaller (more concentrated) and then because there's so much water movement it gets churned around faster! Not a fan of public pools either for this reason. Personally, I would like to see them go to adult only hot tubs. Then I would consider bumping up to a moderate. But until then, I'm not going to pay for ammenities I won't use. And I don't like any of the onsite restaurants at the mods. So that's another meaningless ammenity at a mod for me as is a slide at a pool I won't use. The hot tub would be the upgrade....
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #21
RapunzelsGoodMom
Mouseketeer

That. Is. So. Hilarious.

I think I may have done the same thing to little Rapunzel. She now requests to "go to a hotel" as a treat. Oops!

I really wanted to do value for a one night trip soon....but just couldn't. I like the space, theming, and amenities of the deluxe too much. And mommy is paying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post
Rooms are smaller at value too..I may have spoiled my DD with all our deluxe stays because when we did a one nighter last year at ASSp, she said "this is the Walmart of Disney hotels!!!"
RapunzelsGoodMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #22
Mouthpiece
Earning My Ears

We're staying at the AoA resort in October this year in a little mermaid room. I just got around to seeing a diagram of the resort today.....and WOW it looks like a long walk from the LM rooms to the buses, lobby, bigger pool and playgrounds. If I had seen the diagram sooner it might have even swayed me against it and stayed at another hotel,but also my kids just insisted they wanted to stay there. I wonder if I won't be kicking myself when my wife and I are having to carry 2 passed out 6 year olds to our room after a day at the parks....
Mouthpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #23
brertoad
DIS Veteran

My experience with value resorts (POP Century specifically), is that they are crowded, noisy, walls are thin, lots and lots of kids, busses are crowded (had to wait for a 2nd bus before), outside corridors, smaller room, and parking is a sometimes hard to find. Doesn't feel as nice as the deluxe rooms. Our room was really plain and blah. This may be different with AoA suites - but the prices for an AoA suite is not the typical value cost room, so I would expect them to step up the accomodations for the price.

My experience with deluxe resorts (stayed at almost all of them), is that they are quieter, the walls are not AS thin, the busses are not as crowded, there are usually table service places to eat in the hotel, the overall theming is usually great, many of them have inside corridors, overall they really feel like a step above "just a room" to me.

I love WL, that was the first place we ever stayed at WDW, it's lovely.

I'm not really sure how AoA compares to a Deluxe. But it sure seems to appeal to kids.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #24
Mouthpiece
Earning My Ears

As for good things about AoA, I've heard people say the walls aren't as thin, and sound hasn't been a problem. Also as of right now the resort has its own buses, so no sharing with other value resorts, and if you miss a bus you can take, I think it's pop century's bus and walk across the bridge to AoA. For the kids they play movies outside on a big screen in the evenings.
Mouthpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:39 AM   #25
dpswift
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at AoA. For a value it is by far the nicest. The food court was not as crowded as POP and we went at a busy time. The walk to little mermaid rooms is very long. But with a suite you would be fine.

However given the choice I would stay at WL and I think my kids would agree. Maybe you could take them over for lunch and a walk around so that they can see AoA.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #26
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post

Well, me personally, I would consider ASSp the Walmart of Disney too. But I don't put the All Stars on the same caliber as POP and AoA. I have stayed at Both All Stars and POP and IMO there is NO comparison. The room sizes are the same, but the ambiance and service is NOT!!!! (and I'd say Disney must agree with me a little bit...otherwise why would POP & AoA LM be priced higher than the All Stars?? )
The Pop and AoA are newer so they are higher priced. It is not because they are the Walmart of Disney. I had some of the best service from CMs at the Sports and Music resorts. Don't know why you feel the need to put another resort down in such a fashion in order make the one you prefer seem so much better.

Going by your theory the Wilderness Lodge would be the Walmart of the deluxe resorts. See how that comparison doesn't work so well?

OP--I would stay at the Wilderness Lodge. The location close to MK, the pool area, are 2 very good reasons why.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #27
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post
Rooms are smaller at value too..I may have spoiled my DD with all our deluxe stays because when we did a one nighter last year at ASSp, she said "this is the Walmart of Disney hotels!!!"
That's funny.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote