Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #16
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
I'm not defending Disney AT ALL. I have a daughter and I would not want her touched.

However. Did some digging. Family didn't want to press charges. She's a Brazilian gal; not sure about family. Story seems witch-hunt like - where is the source/why bring up now if it happened in Aug.? When the crew member (Head Server) was identified at 4:48pm, the ship is already pulling away. That is when the positive ID was made by the dining room manager.

Disney is not a buncha idiots. Lawyers vet every single move they make, every action they take. I imagine their internal security did their investigation first, which would happen at WDW as well (yes, I realize that DCL is flagged in the Bahamas).

There's something off about this investigation.... And yes, I'd say that regardless if what cruise line it was reported on!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Where did you find the information that the family didn't want to press charges? I searched for info and didn't find that.

If I read the article about the news broadcast correctly, it stated that they were doing an investigation of crime on cruise ships when they found this one, and they brought it to light now because it never was in the news before, and because of the "cover up".
Just because it might be "old news" doesn't make it any less tragic, and it's the kind of thing that every parent or guardian should read about, no matter how long ago it happened. Vigilance is the only way to keep these things from happening. Too many people trust Disney and let their kids wander alone. Not to say that I haven't seen kids alone on other cruise lines, because I have, and I hate seeing that, because I KNOW these things happen. It just seems that more people let their guard down because it's Disney.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #17
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

very sad for that child.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #18
pyramid2000
Member of the DD Geek invasion of CC
How exacty do you iron on a T-****?

Seems to me that DCL didn't want to delay departure. Sorry, but an accusation such as this should have held the ship in port so that DCL themselves could remove the man in question so the police could investigate. The ship was still in port when it was initially reported , investigated through security video, and the man identified (according to DCL's own report according to the source). Heck, they were still in US waters even after departure. What happened to the above and beyond that DCL provides? Letting the man loose on the ship for another two to three hours after he was identified? If the guests were not US citizens it makes it even more suspicious because it would be much easier for DCL to do what they did since they wouldn't be in the US to press the issue. (Yeah, I know, they decided on day 3 that they didn't want to press charges, but that happened in the Bahamas.)

From what I have read, this reporter was investigating cruise ship crimes in general when he came across this story. Why wasn't it reported earlier? Well, it is hard to find a criminal story that didn't at least generate a police report.

I hope if it were my DDs they would have kicked him where it hurts and screamed fire as I have taught them! Maybe there should be an alarm button on the wave phones?

1988- 1st trip to WDW/senior class trip : 1990- Carnival cruise from Puerto Rico : 5/00- 3 night CB/4 night Magic : 9/05- 4 night PO/3 night Wonder : 1/06 - 7 night Western Magic: 7/06- 5 night RCCL Explorer (Bermuda):12/09/06- 7 night Magic-DD Geek Party: 8/17/08- 15 night EBPC Magic : 11/01/09- 4 night Wonder:: 2/20/11- 4 night Dream : 11/10/11 - 3 night Dream : 10/13/12 - 7 night Western Fantasy : 04/04/13 - 4 night Miami Wonder : 01/13/14 - 4 night Magic :
Old 05-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #19
pyramid2000
Member of the DD Geek invasion of CC
How exacty do you iron on a T-****?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
Where did you find the information that the family didn't want to press charges? I searched for info and didn't find that.
It was right in the report that you posted a link to.

1988- 1st trip to WDW/senior class trip : 1990- Carnival cruise from Puerto Rico : 5/00- 3 night CB/4 night Magic : 9/05- 4 night PO/3 night Wonder : 1/06 - 7 night Western Magic: 7/06- 5 night RCCL Explorer (Bermuda):12/09/06- 7 night Magic-DD Geek Party: 8/17/08- 15 night EBPC Magic : 11/01/09- 4 night Wonder:: 2/20/11- 4 night Dream : 11/10/11 - 3 night Dream : 10/13/12 - 7 night Western Fantasy : 04/04/13 - 4 night Miami Wonder : 01/13/14 - 4 night Magic :
Old 05-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #20
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid2000 View Post
It was right in the report that you posted a link to.

Oops...thanks....I spent a long exhausting weekend at Disneyland and I don't think my brain is functioning!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:14 AM   #21
Tinknalli
DIS Veteran

Terrible situation for the child and not the best response on DCL part, however, if I had to venture to guess I would think that the delay in reporting was less about a cover up and more about the incident happening so close to sail away and the ship following it's set schedule as the investigation happened behind the scenes. In watching the video I cannot tell what is happening unless someone tells me and even then I cannot say that is definitely what I am seeing. In DCL defense we have a little girl telling a story and making an accusation, but a skeptic might say, just because a child says so does not always make it true (think Salem witch trials and other children who have made false allegations). People fabricate stories to try to make a buck off Disney all the time. In the end there was a confession so all of the story and evidence indicates the incident did take place.

Of course DCL benefits that the vacations of many continued, oblivious to what had gone on. I am sure DCL compensated the family in some way. The employee no longer works on DCL ships. The family chose not to press charges. Would the ending have been different if the report had been made in Port Canaveral? Only if the family decided to pursue it here in the USA and as reports indicate they were not US citizens it is unlikely that would have happened.

A head waiter would have worked for the company for quite some time. I am surprised that other incidences haven't been reported. I don't think someone just does something like this out of the blue.

The bottom line is there are creeps everywhere, including Disney ships, so watch your kids and don't be lulled into false sense of security because it is Disney or any other line.
2/98 All Star Music, 5/00 Port Orleans, 01/05 All Star Movies, 04/07 Pop Century, 10/08 Port Orleans Riverside, 04/10 Port Orleans French Quarter, 04/12 Disney Fantasy and Port Orleans Riverside, 04/14 Pop Century and Disney Fantasy

Old 05-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #22
RGLakatos
Mouseketeer

KashasMom;

Actually yes, it does matter. Do you want a reputable news source that gives you details and correct information or do you want a news source who leaves key elements out of their report and does not necessarily give you the whole story and instead gives you inaccurate information.

It certainly matters where the information is coming from.....don't be a follower....be a free thinker!

The point I was trying to make before is that it is important to not only receive information from a variety of sources before determining whether or not the information is accurate but also that those two news sources, Orlando Sentinel and Channel 6, are very inaccurate in the majority of their news stories. They have been known to leave out key elements of the story and really flip the reality of the story into something worse than what it is.....both sources do this for ratings as both sources have almost when into bankruptcy and closed their doors many times.

Be free thinkers not followers!!!

Last edited by RGLakatos; 05-21-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #23
KashasMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGLakatos View Post
KashasMom;

Actually yes, it does matter. Do you want a reputable news source that gives you details and correct information or do you want a news source who leaves key elements out of their report and does not necessarily give you the whole story and instead gives you inaccurate information.

It certainly matters where the information is coming from.....don't be a follower....be a free thinker!

The point I was trying to make before is that it is important to not only receive information from a variety of sources before determining whether or not the information is accurate but also that those two news sources, Orlando Sentinel and Channel 6, are very inaccurate in the majority of their news stories. They have been known to leave out key elements of the story and really flip the reality of the story into something worse than what it is.....both sources do this for ratings as both sources have almost when into bankruptcy and closed their doors many times.

Be free thinkers not followers!!!
EVERY news source - including CNN - does the same thing. For that reason, it doesn't matter to me what the source - because I don't trust any of them. And in this particular case, it seems the story IS true.....so does it really matter what the source was?
1972 Home Lines Homeric (Bahamas), 1977 Cunard Princess (Bermuda), 1986 Carnival Holiday (Eastern Caribbean), 1987 Carnival Jubilee (Eastern Caribbean), 1988 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Oceanic (Bahamas), 1991 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Atlantic (Bahamas), 1991 Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean), 1993 Carnival Fantasy (Southern Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Western Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Grandeur of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Disney Magic Inaugural Celebration (Bahamas), 2000 Carnival Destiny (Canada), 2001 Celebrity Infinity (Alaska - Inside Passage), 2003 Royal Princess (South America), 2008 RCI Serenade of the Seas (repo -SF to Vancouver via Alaska - Inside Passage), 2010 Caribbean Princess (Southern Caribbean), 2010 Caribbean Princess (b-b Southern Caribbean), 2012 Disney Magic (NY-Bahamas), 2012 Brand-New Carnival Breeze (Eastern Carib), 2012 NCL Epic (Eastern Carib), 2013 Brand-Spanking-New NCL Breakaway *Family Reunion Cruise* (Bermuda), 2013 Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean)

------

Upcoming Cruise: Disney Fantasy - February 2015
Upcoming Cruise: Disney Magic - Norwegian Fjords and Iceland - June 2015
Old 05-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #24
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

Edited/deleted

Last edited by baleeve; 05-21-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #25
cph706
Mouseketeer

What's especially upsetting to me is that the alleged perpetrator is a server we really enjoyed on our last 2 trips on the Dream. Our daughter was 15 the first time we met him, thank god she wasn't ever by herself (with her brother or us) and that she is a first degree black belt.

Honestly, he seemed like a nice guy
Old 05-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #26
wcw57
DIS Veteran

here is the strangest thing about this story:

I haven't seen it picked up by ANY other news source...

I can understand ABC not following....

but no reports on the wires or any one of the million cable news channels....not even radio! at least not that I have seen and I just passed through the morning news cycle....
Old 05-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #27
anna08
DIS Veteran

Wow. I felt sick to my stomach watching the video of him walking into the elevator with the girl. I think it is horrid that Disney did not return him to US soil for prosecution - there did not need to be charges by the family with child sex abuse evidence. The video was quite clear who the perp was. Instead, they send him home to India to be free to molest girls there - makes me ill.
Please everyone, educate your girls on this kind of scenario - instill in them the confidence to scream loudly, bite, kick, especially in a busy place like a cruise ship.

Disney, shame on you. The girls in the future who meet this creep thank you too.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #28
RGLakatos
Mouseketeer

It certainly matters what the source is....if you can't understand that there is a difference between CNN and the Orlando Sentinel I'm not sure what to tell you...all sources take their own spin and provide certain details.

It is much believable if the story comes from multiple news sources not just 2 sources that are almost bankrupt here in Orlando. If you cannot understand that IT DOES MATTER WHAT NEWS SOURCE is reporting the information I'm not sure what to tell you...the Orlando Sentinel has always taken a negative look at Disney and I would not put it past them to leave out crucial information to make Disney seem worse that what really happened.

It certainly matters what news sources is reporting....I'm not going to get into a "battle" here with anyone over whether the news sources matters.....I'm a bit more intelligent than that.

Also, I have to say this as well......for the poster who said "my daughters a second degree black belt"....to perfectly honest that is a joke too. I know plenty of individuals who have beat people who are "blackbelts" Martial Arts is nothing more than a way for a child or adult to get a different type of exercise.....it's a freaking joke in this day and age. Perhaps if they lived in the 1800's martial arts would be beneficial to protecting yourself but it's not anymore. I was in the military and there have been many times in combat situations where I have taken down someone bigger than me, with more advanced training, or was a black belt......it's really not a way to protect yourself anymore in this day and age...especially with weapons ever present.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #29
cph706
Mouseketeer

I absolutely agree with your comments about martial arts training not being an absolute defense against these incidents. I would not expect her to "take down" a grown man. However, I am glad that in her 8 years of training she had the exposure to the many sessions where they reviewed stranger awareness & listening to your perceptions about danger. At least she had the exposure of sparring and hitting boys larger than herself. I have never struck anyone in self defense in my life and at least she has done that and potentially could get out of a situation.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #30
DCL Repeaters
DCL addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KashasMom View Post
EVERY news source - including CNN - does the same thing. For that reason, it doesn't matter to me what the source - because I don't trust any of them. And in this particular case, it seems the story IS true.....so does it really matter what the source was?
It doesn't matter the news source here when the video speaks for itself. And to the news source who was able to obtain the video, job well done. Shame on Disney Cruise Line for sweeping this under the rug and shame on the grandmother who refused to press charges.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: