DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
sheilan
Earning My Ears
 
sheilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Central IL
Posts: 37

? about vb as home but staying at wdw...

We are considering buying 450 resale vb points at a great price. While I know we would not be able to book as early as other home members elsewhere, what are the opinions, etc of us being able to book at blt or akv in October or November for 7 days successfully?
__________________
Sheila
DH Shane
DS (12), DD (9), DD (6 1/2)

NEXT TRIP December 2015 DCL (first cruise!) & WDW (Boardwalk hopefully)
9/2014 - AofA (Cars)
5/2013 - POR
9/2012 - POR
11/2008 - POP
4/2002 - Vacation Home
7/2001 - Vacation Home
6/2000 - HONEYMOON! 1st visit! Vacation Home

sheilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
KPetty725
DIS Veteran
 
KPetty725's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boerne, Texas
Posts: 522

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilan View Post
We are considering buying 450 resale vb points at a great price. While I know we would not be able to book as early as other home members elsewhere, what are the opinions, etc of us being able to book at blt or akv in October or November for 7 days successfully?
That would depend on the type of room. Every time I've tried to book BLT, the only thing that's been available has been 2-bedrooms and/or 1- & 2-bedrooms with theme park view (highest point values). I've had a bit more success with AKV but October/November tends to be really busy for DVC. That doesn't necessarily mean don't take the deal, just know that you may not get your first couple of resort choices.
__________________
- Katie



KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilan View Post
We are considering buying 450 resale vb points at a great price. While I know we would not be able to book as early as other home members elsewhere, what are the opinions, etc of us being able to book at blt or akv in October or November for 7 days successfully?
Your chances of getting something would be pretty good for those resorts during those times outside the holiday weekend. Just realize the maint fees at VB are high enough to eat up ALL the savings in just a few years of buying just because the up front cost is cheap. If you want to use them at VB a large % of the time it may be worth it.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
z28wiz
WDW ROCKS
With all the clapping going on, the TF hopes that z28wiz doesn't have "clapper" lamps in his house!!!!!
 
z28wiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 738

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Your chances of getting something would be pretty good for those resorts during those times outside the holiday weekend. Just realize the maint fees at VB are high enough to eat up ALL the savings in just a few years of buying just because the up front cost is cheap. If you want to use them at VB a large % of the time it may be worth it.
It's could be ten years before you start to go in the red compared to other resorts I have an offer on a contract for 34 per point and seller paying 2013 dues. My break even on the 150 point contract is roughly 10 years compared to a comparable 150 point contract at okw. But like Dean stated if you plan to stay at vero beach with those points it's worth it. That was my reason to offer on a vero beach contract.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
CBR-7/02, POR-5/03,DCL WONDER 5/6/04-5/9/04, CBR 5/9/04-5/16/04, CORONADO SPRINGS 4/4/05-4/9/05 (HONEYMOON), WL- 4/9/05-4/16/05(HONEYMOON), CBR-12/2/05-12/10/05, WL-3/30/06-4/6/06, DL PARADISE PIER-6/13/08-6/17/08
HHI 4/29/10-5/1/10, AKLV 05/01/10-05/08/10 (Boys first trip), SSR 12/4/10-12/10/10, WLV 4/22-4/28/11 & DCL DREAM 4/28/11-5/1/11, HHI 8/22-8/28/11
ART OF ANIMATION 1/21-1/22 DCL DREAM 1/22-1/26/12 & BLT 1/26-1/29/12.DCL MAGIC 6/15/12-6/17 DCL DREAM 8/5/12-8/10/12, BCV 10/3/12-10/9/12 DCL FANTASY 01/19/13-01/26/13, WLV 8/2-8/8/13, DCL DREAM 8/8-8/11/13 BWV 10/2013 VGF 2/9-2/10/14 DISNEY MAGIC 2/10-2/14/14 DISNEY MAGIC 2/14-2/17/14, VERO BEACH 7/2-7/7/14, SSR 7/7-7/11/14 BWV 10/8-10/12/14, VGF 2/10-2/13/15 DISNEY DREAM 2/13-2/16/15



z28wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran
 
lovin'fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,870

October and the first part of November are also Food and Wine. It will be tough to get BLT during that time (as well as Thanksgiving week). But AKV is a large resort and it and SSR have availability on short notice for most times. Just to give an example, we just booked (a week more than 5 months out) for Oct 15-18. We had to book a studio at SSR, that was ALL that was available (and I think AKV, not sure view because we didn't want AKV since we'll be there in Dec). We wailisted BLT and BWV and just got our wailitst at BLT (lake view studio). Even OKW was booked.
__________________
DVC since 2006
Next trip(s): Nov 3-6 at VWL
Aug 8-14 at BWV and AKV
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28wiz View Post
It's could be ten years before you start to go in the red compared to other resorts I have an offer on a contract for 34 per point and seller paying 2013 dues. My break even on the 150 point contract is roughly 10 years compared to a comparable 150 point contract at okw. But like Dean stated if you plan to stay at vero beach with those points it's worth it. That was my reason to offer on a vero beach contract.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
10 years is best case scenario I believe but it does depend on price and assumptions. If you assume a $20 spread and the current VB & SSR dues with having the difference invested with an 8% return after taxes, along with inflation of each at 3%, I get just under 10 years. 7 years with no assumed earnings on the up front difference. You're also giving up the option of an 11 month window at WDW for any stays.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
AJA
DIS Veteran
 
AJA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East TN
Posts: 1,078

This may not be in line with your question but will you be using your points at VB some of the time? Or are you only buying VB because of the cheaper purchase price wanting to use your points at Disney?

I would be very cautious if you are buying to only stay at Disney. If you are going at non peak times you'd probably be able to get OKW or SSR (AKV is also a big resort, IMO BLT is more popular and iffy).

Some things to remember:
In the future if you decide 450 points are too much the VB contract will be a harder resale than a contract for one of the Disney area resorts. Everything changes, unless you are comfortable renting out the points, the yearly dues are a big expense.
And as others have said you will be paying a TON more in yearly fee's at VB vs say BLT. In just a few years you'll eat up any savings and then be paying way MORE to own somewhere you don't want to visit each year? -if you really want to visit VB this may not apply?

What about buying less points at a WDW area resort? With borrowing points you could make a smaller contract work for a couple of years, get a feel for DVC, and add on an additional contract then if you need too.

With 450 points at VB you'll be paying over $3000 a year in dues are you sure the savings are worth the purchase price plus expensive fee's?
AJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
twins4disney
Mouseketeer
 
twins4disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 448

Vero is our home resort and we have only stayed there one time in 11 years. It is beautiful but we always stay at WDW. Whenever I call at seven months I have always had several options to book, not just OKW, SSR or AK. For instance this coming August we are booked in a LV studio at BLT. Called at sevens months and booked the dates we wanted. We normally go Sumner time, but have also gotten my choice in the Spring and Fall.
twins4disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,826

One more thing to consider. Should VB get a bad hurricane, DVC could decide not to make repairs and sell the resort. The beach already is a problem there and frequently has to be rebuilt. Those costs may be included in the annual maintenance fees, but it might be too costly. You might have to pay an assessment to bring the resort up to standards. You might cease to be a member of DVC. Things like these could happen at any of the DVC resorts, but VB just has more hazards with hurricanes.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
One more thing to consider. Should VB get a bad hurricane, DVC could decide not to make repairs and sell the resort. The beach already is a problem there and frequently has to be rebuilt. Those costs may be included in the annual maintenance fees, but it might be too costly. You might have to pay an assessment to bring the resort up to standards. You might cease to be a member of DVC. Things like these could happen at any of the DVC resorts, but VB just has more hazards with hurricanes.
It's unlikely such an event would have this result. DVC doesn't own the resort at present, only the management contract. They'd still be responsible for the repairs to be done. Or they could simply close the resort and distribute any proceeds on a prorated basis and those members would be out of the DVC system on those points.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
lchute1158
Mouseketeer
 
lchute1158's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: California
Posts: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4disney View Post
Vero is our home resort and we have only stayed there one time in 11 years. It is beautiful but we always stay at WDW. Whenever I call at seven months I have always had several options to book, not just OKW, SSR or AK. For instance this coming August we are booked in a LV studio at BLT. Called at sevens months and booked the dates we wanted. We normally go Sumner time, but have also gotten my choice in the Spring and Fall.
Good to know! Thanks...I have a vb in rofr right with the Idea ill use the points elsewhere and once in a while vb for a cruise.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________


Disney Fantasy January 25, 2014 (45th birthday cruise!), Disney Wonder May 17, 2014 (Weekend Getaway), Disney Dream Feb 24, 2013
Hong Kong Disneyland 2011, WDW x4, DLR CA x100 plus (Annual Pass Holder)(frequent visitor since 1969)
DVC Owner - AUL, VGC, HHI



lchute1158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
Dasha Hermosilla
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 266

Certainly not a DVC lifer here, but FWIW, I'd look at some of the posts about wait lists and potential for them to come through. It will give you an idea of 7 month availability as well. The other thing to also consider is are you diligent enough to always be online at that 7 month point? It seems those people that find success book 1st thing always at the 7 month point. Lastly, do you plan on staying a week? It seems (from all the posts I read), people have better luck with wait listing shorter stays. Also, are you OK with split stays and are you comfortable working the system to get your reservation? My overall point is, it does happen, but it's not "easy" and you should assess how comfortable you are doing and keeping track of all this. Lastly, do you live in driving distance? Are you comfortable booking plane tickets potentially w/o having the lodging all straight? Just a lot more to consider. We were advised (appropriately), that we should always be happy to stay in our home resort as anything else is luck and timing.
Dasha Hermosilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #13
dion1159
Earning My Ears
 
dion1159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 7

Buy where you most want to stay - home resort advantage

buy where you really want to stay or you will be staying somewhere else like SSR or AKV. not that they are bad, but its not where you want to stay 80% of the time.....Home resort advantage is key with the 11 month out reservation advantage.
__________________
dion1159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
sheilan
Earning My Ears
 
sheilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Central IL
Posts: 37

Thank you all for your replies. It has given me alot to consider. We would definitely stay at VB at times, as we love the beach. We would almost ALWAYS be booking late September through mid-December, but never over holidays. We like those "dead" days at the parks. I think we will keep our eyes open for other deals for now. We would like to be able to stay a week or so at AKV or BLT, and next year at the THV at SS at the request of our son. We did do some tours of some resorts last week...love AKV, sort of liked WL, not incredibly impressed with SS, love BLT. SO much to consider, though. We almost always drive but that doesn't mean we won't fly one of these days.

Thanks again for the input, everyone!
__________________
Sheila
DH Shane
DS (12), DD (9), DD (6 1/2)

NEXT TRIP December 2015 DCL (first cruise!) & WDW (Boardwalk hopefully)
9/2014 - AofA (Cars)
5/2013 - POR
9/2012 - POR
11/2008 - POP
4/2002 - Vacation Home
7/2001 - Vacation Home
6/2000 - HONEYMOON! 1st visit! Vacation Home

sheilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilan View Post
Thank you all for your replies. It has given me alot to consider. We would definitely stay at VB at times, as we love the beach. We would almost ALWAYS be booking late September through mid-December, but never over holidays. We like those "dead" days at the parks. I think we will keep our eyes open for other deals for now. We would like to be able to stay a week or so at AKV or BLT, and next year at the THV at SS at the request of our son. We did do some tours of some resorts last week...love AKV, sort of liked WL, not incredibly impressed with SS, love BLT. SO much to consider, though. We almost always drive but that doesn't mean we won't fly one of these days.

Thanks again for the input, everyone!
For WDW you'll come out ahead financially in the long run AND have more booking options with SSR or similar. The other factor might be if you would routinely book a beach house at VB.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.