Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
dskib
DIS Veteran

Orlando Sentinel story about "inappropriate fondling" on the Dream

Ugh. I hope this turns out to be untrue. We just got back and I was so pleased with the Dream that I told everyone! I never let my son stay someplace where I don't know the people and felt really confident in Disney.

Quote:
By Hal Boedeker, Staff writer
3:13 pm, May 20, 2013
On the 11 p.m. Monday news, WKMG-Channel 6 will deliver a shocking report about a Disney Cruise Line employee fondling an 11-year-old girl and the strange events that followed.

The segment was not planned for the May ratings period. Tony Pipitone just got the story last week and worked quickly to turn it around, WKMG news director Steve Hyvonen said Monday afternoon.

"Last week we did a report on cruise crime that showed crimes on cruise ships often are not prosecuted by federal authorities," Pipitone said. "As a result of that investigation, it kind of shook the tree. This is one of the things that fell out of that tree."

WKMG has video of a Disney Cruise Line employee groping an 11-year-old girl in August 2012 before the Disney Dream departed Port Canaveral. Disney knew what happened, but didn't report the crime until the next day, after the ship was on its way to the Bahamas.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
wcw57
DIS Veteran

really really not good!

i mean really

to the core
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
RGLakatos
Mouseketeer

Good Evening!!

Although the story might be true please understand this....

The Orlando Sentinel is a newspaper I would NEVER base any type of truth on; I live in Orlando and this is the worst newspaper we have around here....although there are very few newspapers here in Orlando this is, by far, the largest and worst for writing correct information and not leaving out information. I know MANY high school students who write for the Orlando Sentinel so don't be amazed if they do not tell the entire story.

Second, Channel 6 is by far the worst news channel there is in Orlando. Tony Pipitone has been at numerous channels in Orlando and other markets....there is a reason why he gets tossed around like garbage....he, frankly, is a garbage commentator, writer and investigator.

There might me some truth to this but as well all know things like this do happen from time to time.....just try not believing the newspapers or television stations here in Orlando....they are the worst sources of information that we have in Orlando.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
KashasMom
DIS Veteran

??? If the story IS true, does it really matter who reports it?
1972 Home Lines Homeric (Bahamas), 1977 Cunard Princess (Bermuda), 1986 Carnival Holiday (Eastern Caribbean), 1987 Carnival Jubilee (Eastern Caribbean), 1988 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Oceanic (Bahamas), 1991 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Atlantic (Bahamas), 1991 Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean), 1993 Carnival Fantasy (Southern Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Western Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Grandeur of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Disney Magic Inaugural Celebration (Bahamas), 2000 Carnival Destiny (Canada), 2001 Celebrity Infinity (Alaska - Inside Passage), 2003 Royal Princess (South America), 2008 RCI Serenade of the Seas (repo -SF to Vancouver via Alaska - Inside Passage), 2010 Caribbean Princess (Southern Caribbean), 2010 Caribbean Princess (b-b Southern Caribbean), 2012 Disney Magic (NY-Bahamas), 2012 Brand-New Carnival Breeze (Eastern Carib), 2012 NCL Epic (Eastern Carib), 2013 Brand-Spanking-New NCL Breakaway *Family Reunion Cruise* (Bermuda), 2013 Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean)

------

Upcoming Cruise: Disney Fantasy - February 2015
Upcoming Cruise: Disney Magic - Norwegian Fjords and Iceland - June 2015
Old 05-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Edited because I do wonder why something that happened in August 2012 is now getting reported. Could be true, could be conjecture for ratings. Don't know.

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas
Old 05-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
dizzyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGLakatos View Post
Good Evening!!

Although the story might be true please understand this....

The Orlando Sentinel is a newspaper I would NEVER base any type of truth on; I live in Orlando and this is the worst newspaper we have around here....although there are very few newspapers here in Orlando this is, by far, the largest and worst for writing correct information and not leaving out information. I know MANY high school students who write for the Orlando Sentinel so don't be amazed if they do not tell the entire story.

Second, Channel 6 is by far the worst news channel there is in Orlando. Tony Pipitone has been at numerous channels in Orlando and other markets....there is a reason why he gets tossed around like garbage....he, frankly, is a garbage commentator, writer and investigator.

There might me some truth to this but as well all know things like this do happen from time to time.....just try not believing the newspapers or television stations here in Orlando....they are the worst sources of information that we have in Orlando.
My first experience with the Orlando Sentinel was when the little guy Chase almost drowned and I was searching the internet for updates that may be more accurate than I was reading on the Dis. I came across a couple of articles from the Sentinel and thought great it must be accurate - imagine my surprise to see direct quotes from the Dis in the article. Turns out they were searching on the internet for info as well! LOL
Old 05-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
dizzyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KashasMom View Post
??? If the story IS true, does it really matter who reports it?
I think the PP point may have been if it's reported by those two sources only then the story may not be accurate. Basically the "know your source" idea.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Even if the story is untrue, it doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Even on a Disney cruise ship; you should be telling your child/ren what to watch out for. Sad, but true. Let's hope this article is false.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, Port Canaveral/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
Old 05-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
SnowWhite2
DIS Veteran

I find it odd that it is from August and just coming out to be reported. Plus if I had video of my 11 yo being molested by a DCL cast member, I would have hired a lawyer before I got back to the states and had him arrested as soon as we got back to PC. (If my DH didn't take him out first )

From my dealings with DCL and my teen, DCL doesn't easily take responsibility for their staff's inappropriate behavior. I'm sure there is more to this story and it will come out shortly.

December 28, 2014 NYE Magic
November 10, 2014 Dream double-dip
June 9, 2014 Alaska Wonder
December 28, 2013 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2012 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2011 NYE Dream
December 26, 2009 NYE Magic
December 20, 2008 Christmas Magic
February 2, 2008 Eastern Magic
February 3, 2007 Eastern Magic
April 15, 2006 Western Magic
February 2003 Eastern Magic
Old 05-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
carpenta
DIS Veteran

......."just the facts ma'm".........Joe Friday.........good advice to live (and post) by.......
Old 05-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
pyramid2000
Member of the DD Geek invasion of CC
How exacty do you iron on a T-****?

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/tags/children/

The publisher of this site seems to be interested in following this story to see what actually happened. "Jim Walker is a maritime lawyer who has attended seven Congressional hearing on issues of cruise ship crime, passenger disappearances..."

1988- 1st trip to WDW/senior class trip : 1990- Carnival cruise from Puerto Rico : 5/00- 3 night CB/4 night Magic : 9/05- 4 night PO/3 night Wonder : 1/06 - 7 night Western Magic: 7/06- 5 night RCCL Explorer (Bermuda):12/09/06- 7 night Magic-DD Geek Party: 8/17/08- 15 night EBPC Magic : 11/01/09- 4 night Wonder:: 2/20/11- 4 night Dream : 11/10/11 - 3 night Dream : 10/13/12 - 7 night Western Fantasy : 04/04/13 - 4 night Miami Wonder : 01/13/14 - 4 night Magic :
Old 05-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

A video clip of a preview of the news story that will appear on TV tonight.

I understand from reading the article why this is just now hitting the news....because it said that during an investigation for a story on cruise ship crime, this particular story showed up, and it had apparently previously been either "hushed" or just not noticed. I'm always surprised at how many people just won't believe that anything like this could happen on a Disney ship or in the Disney Parks.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/vid...i/-/index.html
Old 05-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #13
flyinglizard
DIS Veteran

Wow! Just saw the report and the video and documents on the channel 6 report. The incident was immediately reported to Disney but they delayed calling local authorities till the ship sailed. Once the ship reached the Bahamas, the perv was put on a plane back to India. Seems like everything was just swept under the rug till they were out of U.S. jurisdiction. Not very magical for that little girl or her family...
Old 05-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #14
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

DISGUSTING. Especially because Disney is supposed to be all about family...and they covered it up and helped a criminal escape. Disgusting.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/dis...z/-/index.html
Old 05-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #15
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

I'm not defending Disney AT ALL. I have a daughter and I would not want her touched.

However. Did some digging. Family didn't want to press charges. She's a Brazilian gal; not sure about family. Story seems witch-hunt like - where is the source/why bring up now if it happened in Aug.? When the crew member (Head Server) was identified at 4:48pm, the ship is already pulling away. That is when the positive ID was made by the dining room manager.

Disney is not a buncha idiots. Lawyers vet every single move they make, every action they take. I imagine their internal security did their investigation first, which would happen at WDW as well (yes, I realize that DCL is flagged in the Bahamas).

There's something off about this investigation.... And yes, I'd say that regardless if what cruise line it was reported on!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: