Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #316
jm106
DIS Veteran

Will do- Palo now that we had a chance to see everything and eat in the MDR I would like to try it.
- more pool time
-Eat more TS breakfast. I always felt we were running off to do something so we did buffet breakfast and lunch and I really dont like buffets. The breakfast at tritons was substantially nicer then the buffet.
- one of the shows- we skipped them, too much else to do and we wanted to relax more this trip. Dinner took long enough and kids wanted to either swim at night or do activities in the clubs
-Watch sunrise again, and watch it set more then once.

Wont do- Rainforest pass. It was fine but not amazing. The tile loungers were sort of uncomfortable on my sciatica. DH fell asleep so he didnt care. One steam room was just too hot the other was nice but really it was lovely sunshine outside with a pool and cocktails and I was inside. On a rainy day, It would be nice.

jm106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #317
Manders77
Mouseketeer

OK. Haven't been on Disney yet, but have cruised before. I already know the answer for my first DCL cruise, which won't be till 2015.

I WILL NOT try to do everything in 1 cruise.

I WILL book onboard so I can do different things the next time.
Manders77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #318
AKchristmasqueen
Earning My Ears

Great list! I would also add- pack less! They have washer/dryers on board which we took advantage of. I didn't wear half the clothes I packed for myself:-).
AKchristmasqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #319
ladyj0212
"Dream"ing of Disney Cruise

Will do again:

Palo. I LOVE that chocolate souflee. Plus I have not visited Palo on the new ships.

Aquaduck. Both at night and in the day. Nighttime is the best with the lights!

Board with bathing suits under your clothes. Once you board the ship, you can grab lunch then hit the pools!

The pools on embarkation day. I love the jams they play at the pool, and it really gets you in a vacation spirit.

FISH EXTENDERS!!! We did it for the first time on our last cruise and it was so much fun and you get to come home with tons of souvenirs!

The Midship Detective Agency My husband and I did this while our daughter was in the oceanears club, and it was so much fun running around the boat trying to solve the mystery.

Late night club buffets You can find a little buffet set up outside the clubs with offerings such as chocolate covered strawberries, coconut shrimp, ribs, and more!

Will do next time:

The Rainforest room. I have yet to do that. Seems like a real deal for a day of relaxation.

Order cookies and milk before bed. Something so simple that these boards rave about, and I always forget to do it while I'm there.

a couple's treatment at the spa.

Konk Kooker I am not a drinker, but I really want to try a virgin version of this drink...coconut and pineapple? YUMMY!

Match Your Mate I would love to be on this show, but if not, watching it seems entertaining in itself.

Pelican Plundge Missed it last time. Will do it next time.

Character dance party

Book next cruise on board.

Will not do:

Bingo: although Bingo is a blast, I would rather put my money toward something else on board.

Arrive 10-15 minutes before princess gathering.This line was already crazy long. I plan on going way earlier next time so we don't have to wait over an hour.

Stress about not getting to do everything. It's your vacation. Take it one step at a time. Plus if you don't get to do everything, that is one more excuse to come right back!

DCL Trips:
September 11th, 2011
"Dream" * March 4th, 2010"Wonder" * February 11th, 2006 "Magic" * February 17th, 2005 "Wonder"
Disney World Trips:
Too many to count
ladyj0212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #320
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

Will do again:

Go to adult pool/jacuzzi at 10:00 pm till midnight on first night spontaneously with DH. We had the whole place to ourselves.

Wear capris to Palo. I called them in advance to check. Brought a skirt for dinner, was so worried about "dressing to the nines", capris are accepted and felt so relaxed.

Be one of first ones out on CC, makes for fantastic pictures of freshly raked sand.

Get two choc. chip cookies at Cabanas, go over to hard scooped ice cream, put together to make ice cream sandwich. Outstanding dessert.

Definitely stay at Hyatt again! Was sooo worried about them losing our luggage and it was a seamless process.

Won't do again

When it pours in Nassau and I'm on board, I'll have a backup plan and not just sit in lounge chair with nothing to do.

Will do next cruise:

Verandah. I loved our huge porthole, but there were a few times I just missed the fresh air.

Will get more lotion from the Hyatt!! They're going to start selling it there this Summer. Got totally addicted to it and want more.

Enjoy the deck ice cream even more, LOVED IT.

Speak up to server on first night earlier, after not getting our drinks for 30 minutes. Otherwise they were terrific.

Book onboard. Almost as soon as I got home, I booked again for 2014. Lost the benefits.

Jillpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #321
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

I'm curious about the swimsuit idea - so board with your suits already on? The girls would have no problem hiding their suits but would dh and ds look ridiculous wearing their swim trunks and shirt to lunch?
2012 Windsor Hills 2011 Buena Vista Suites
2010 Doubletree DTD, then CSR
2008 Doubletree DTD 2006 Doubletree DTD
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2005 Doubletree DTD 2005 Swan 2001 Dolphin
2000 All Star Movies 1999 Carribean Beach
100AcreWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #322
NACFl
Mouseketeer

As for swim trunks at lunch, as long as the trunks are dry and they're wearing shirts and flip flops, that's totally acceptable summer attire here in Florida for a casual meal or running errands. It's all about what they're comfortable wearing. I wouldn't show up in a MDR in shorts and flip flops though...
NACFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #323
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACFl View Post
As for swim trunks at lunch, as long as the trunks are dry and they're wearing shirts and flip flops, that's totally acceptable summer attire here in Florida for a casual meal or running errands. It's all about what they're comfortable wearing. I wouldn't show up in a MDR in shorts and flip flops though...
Shorts are acceptable in all the dining venues for lunch. It's at dinner that DCL requests "no shorts, tank tops, or swim suits".

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #324
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Now that I have cruised with my first veranda, I would never book one at full price. I was hardly out there. Not because of smokers, cause I wanted to do stuff around the ship.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.

Last edited by aan1701; 05-21-2013 at 01:52 PM.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #325
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillpie View Post
Will do again:

Definitely stay at Hyatt again! Was sooo worried about them losing our luggage and it was a seamless process.

[
I'm staying at the MCO Hyatt in August the day before our cruise. Did you leave your luggage in your room?

I too, am concerned about them "forgetting" my luggage.

Id 'be interested in hearing more about your experience with them.

Thanks,

glad you had a great cruise.

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014

Last edited by baleeve; 05-21-2013 at 02:03 PM.
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #326
Fantasiesabound
Mouseketeer

WILL DO AGAIN:

1) Always do Fish Extender exchanges and DIS Meet threads!

And do some form of identification! The all time best cruise we had was when we all did Green DIS rubber bands for everyone and everyone wore them the whole cruise! It was so fun to walk around seeing people that you "knew" and could say hi to, or joke with everywhere on the ship!

(I really hope some people start joining the thread for my upcoming cruise soon! it would be such a bummer not to have this fun!)

2) Always go and play with your kids at the clubs during the open houses! You then get comfortable and familiar with what is there and you see how much fun they are having!

3) Take the time to do the Arts and Crafts family activities! This is always my kids' favorite memories from our cruises! My son has been wowing all his friends with his ability to draw Mickey for years! And he just won a best drawer at school because of it!

4) Always see the shows! No matter how many times we have seen them previously! And just once dress up for dinner and the shows. You won't believe how fun this actually can be!

5) Always find a time to be able to do an adult dinner: Palo & Remy have been my favorite memories of all time!

The private room at Palo:

6) Always dance and be silly with the kids at the parties prior to and after dinner! They will never forget it!

7) Always go right to the Mickey Pool (now going to be AquaLab) upon boarding with swimsuits on! Get a table, set up and then go get some food while the kids play! Then every day do the same for breakfast!

8) Always tell DCL about our special celebrations!

WON'T DO AGAIN

1) Agree to share a table with others.

2) Go to Parrot Cay or any of the dining rooms you are forced into upon Boarding - Just go up to the pools and get food as you feel like it. This always makes me feel like you are being forced to eat on a flippin cruise!! You will never ever ever be hungry or need to fight to get to food on a cruise!! Such a waste of time! And the food is like, meh a this buffet. And the kids are completely not at their best ever upon boarding!

3) Cruise anything other than a verandah cabin. We tried it once for a two day and the cabin actually ended up having a huge issue with it and we were moved.... BACK TO A VERANDAH! Thank Goodness!!!!

THERE YA GO!!!

Link to some of my scrapbooking pics from our 2006 Cruise:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=326
07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608

Last edited by Fantasiesabound; 05-22-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Fantasiesabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #327
scrapycruiser
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baleeve View Post
I'm staying at the MCO Hyatt in August the day before our cruise. Did you leave our luggage in your room?

Thanks,

We always stay at the Hyatt. My husband always runs back upstairs after breakfast ( Krispy Kreme Donuts) to make sure they picked them up !
Old 05-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #328
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baleeve View Post
I'm staying at the MCO Hyatt in August the day before our cruise. Did you leave your luggage in your room?

Thanks,

It could not have been easier. I was hemming and hawing with the check in rep. whether we should do it or not. We were spending over a week after the cruise at DW and I would have died if that luggage didn't come with us, not to mention get on the ship! She totally reassured me. She then gave me a form to fill out, as to how many pieces of luggage we have, (you give this to the DCL bus check in rep. the next morning, be sure to remind yourself to do this and keep this form with your important documents), she then put us into the computer and we were on our way. That night, we put our DCL luggage tags on our luggage (just like ME tags, but these have your cabin number on them with the DCL logo, another important thing to store with important documents). It would be easy to forget to put these tags on your luggage, a helpful hint is if you have an iphone, give yourself a reminder the night before on the calendar to do this. The next morning, we grabbed breakfast downstairs, coffee at Starbucks, had that in the room and then we left. Then we just had to trust the system. And it worked flawlessly! Our luggage showed up in our cabin, just as promised. We'll do it again next time, no doubt about it.

Last edited by Jillpie; 05-21-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Jillpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #329
Fantasiesabound
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillpie View Post
It could not have been easier. I was hemming and hawing with the check in rep. whether we should do it or not. We were spending over a week after the cruise at DW and I would have died if that luggage didn't come with us, not to mention get on the ship! She totally reassured me. She then gave me a form to fill out, as to how many pieces of luggage we have, (you give this to the DCL bus check in rep. the next morning, be sure to remind yourself to do this and keep this form with your important documents), she then put us into the computer and we were on our way. That night, we put our DCL luggage tags on our luggage (just like ME tags, but these have your cabin number on them with the DCL logo, another important thing to store with important documents). It would be easy to forget to put these tags on your luggage, a helpful hint is if you have an iphone, give yourself a reminder the night before on the calendar to do this. The next morning, we grabbed breakfast downstairs, coffee at Starbucks, had that in the room and then we left. Then we just had to trust the system. And it worked flawlessly! Our luggage showed up in our cabin, just as promised. We'll do it again next time, no doubt about it.
Good advice! We did it too one trip and it worked great - no issues at all!

Link to some of my scrapbooking pics from our 2006 Cruise:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=326
07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608
Fantasiesabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #330
Ptwolfman
Mouseketeer from CA

At MCO Hyatt, do they still take your bags from your room & transport them to the port for you? Is there a fee?
Ptwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: