Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #16
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

X

Last edited by kaytieeldr; 05-20-2013 at 06:05 PM.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
bookbabe_disneynut
self-confessed Disney addict...and proud of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkMagnolia View Post
So, I used the feature on the Virgin website and they only list "offsite" places such as Target, etc.. in Orlando or Buffalo.

I sent a quick e-mail to both airports to see if they might have them (we'll see if the get back to me with useful information)

We are using ME, so won't have a car in Orlando - which is why this is such a hassle. We also have a 6-hour drive to the Airport (for a 3:00 pm flight) so things might be tight when we arrive in Buffalo (in case of traffic, accidents, construction etc..) which is why I wanted to sort this out before.

I will try to get to the Target in Buffalo before the flight, but if that doesn't work out for whatever reason, I suppose I'll need to taxi it to the Target/Walmart in Orlando.

Thanks for the suggestions
There's a Tops about five minutes or so from the airport in Buffalo...was it on the list? Most gas stations also sell them, and we've bought our cards in Walgreens in the past. Not sure if the Hess station near DTD sells them, but if it's on the list it's only a two minute walk from the bus stop near Planet Hollywood. I don't remember seeing any cards in airports themselves at all...and we travel a lot, so I'm in a lot of airports. (Just looked at the Buffalo list...the third one, Fast Cash & Ride, is probably the closest...looks like it's less than five minutes away. If you've got time before your flight, that would likely be your best option.)

One thing that may help for future trips...buy multiple cards in smaller denominations, and then stockpile and just use as needed. Our top-up is $5/day for our myfi, so we buy $15 Virgin Mobile cards which each will cover one long-weekend trip. We try to keep at least one or two on hand at all times, so it's not essential that we find someplace that sells cards right at the start of the trip...as long as we restock before we leave the States, we're okay...

Last edited by bookbabe_disneynut; 05-20-2013 at 12:18 PM.
bookbabe_disneynut is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
bookbabe_disneynut
self-confessed Disney addict...and proud of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
But you're not using your card at any of those sites. You're using it at all-purpose, mega-retailer Walmart (well, Walmart.com) and there shouldn't be any flag on that. Instead of getting a physical piece of merchandise - card - either handed (B&M store) or shipped to you, you'll be getting the activation code via e-mail.
You have no idea how much of a PITA some Canadian credit card companies can be. We've had ours frozen more than once because I made multiple purchases from Amazon in the same day, and that was even through the Cdn version of them, not the US one. Add in the uncertainty of whether a US retailer will even accept a Cdn credit card via their website, and it's just not worth the hassle most times...
bookbabe_disneynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #19
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Make it easy. You're driving to BUF? 7-11 has top off cards. Looks like there are at least 3 locations near the airport.

Many (most?) drugstores (CVS, Walgreens) and supermarkets have racks of gift cards and cards for pre-paid cell, including Virgin. Sometimes they're all in one place and sometimes the cell cards are on a different rack then the gift cards.

My guess is the Virgin site lists locations which get the stuff direct from Virgin. I suspect there is a wholesaler/service which fills the racks with a large variety of cards in other stores.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #20
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookbabe_disneynut View Post
You have no idea how much of a PITA some Canadian credit card companies can be. We've had ours frozen more than once because I made multiple purchases from Amazon in the same day, and that was even through the Cdn version of them, not the US one. Add in the uncertainty of whether a US retailer will even accept a Cdn credit card via their website, and it's just not worth the hassle most times...
Giving up except to say that was probably done for your own protection, and that the WORST - the absolute worst - that could possibly happen is that Walmart.com wouldn't let you complete the purchase.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #21
Best Aunt
"That's the best-est present ever!"

a few more options

I suppose another option would be to call the Walgreen's closest to your hotel and ask if they sell them. If they do, take a cab there from your hotel, ask the cab to wait, run in and grab your cards, and then take the cab back to your hotel. You probably can get in and out of a Walgreen's faster than a Target or Wal-Mart.

Or rent a car for one day. You can do that from the Dolphin or one other place on site (I want to say the Car Care Center, but that could be wrong). While you've go the car, you can pick up snacks, groceries, eat at a restaurant which is cheaper than Disney, etc.

Or skip Magic Express and take a towncar from the airport. Some of the towncar services will throw in a grocery stop at no extra charge. First you would want to make calls to know who sells the cards. You can arrange for the towncar to stop at a drugstore rather than a grocery store.

I'm assuming you already thought to ask if the hotel gift shop sells them. (I don't think you mentioned where you're staying.)

Best Aunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:40 AM   #22
RHMH
When I retire, I want to get a real job and work for Disney

Location: Born In (Setagaya, Tokyo) Now Living In Fort Worth, Texas

Just A Thought

What do you think of this???

We always use Wego Shopping for our Grocery needs. Amy is very good to find out of the way items. Give Amy a call, I bet she can get what you need. A lot of Dis Board Posters have used her in the past. She has a very reputable business. She will deliver to the resorts. Cash - No debit or credit cards.

In addition to the top up card, order bottle water and other food items to save money and maybe personal hygiene items so your suit cases are not jam packed. Just a thought...

I know Walmart carries the top up cards for Virgin Mobile.

Amy Martin, Associate Owner - Website - wegoshop.com
We Go Shop Central Florida Region

I will P.M. you her phone number and email address

Link to RHMH - July 2014 Disneyland Trip Report Thread -- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3302724

DD 14 ME 56 Issac 24
WDW 2002, WDW 2003, Tokyo Disney 2003, WDW 2004, Paris Disney 2004, WDW 2005, WDW 2006, WDW 2007, WDW 2008, WDW 2009, WDW 2010, WDW 2011, WDW 2012, WDW 2013
DLR 2014

Last edited by RHMH; 05-22-2013 at 04:13 AM.
RHMH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: