Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Resort Community Threads & Photo-Video
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #16
johnnyblz20
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoof View Post
We have been really lucky. The only time we didn't get upgraded was at we, our first trip. While cl is a wonderful upgrade, we have always been very happy with our view upgrades as well.
Are you asking for upgrades when you check in or are they just giving them to you?!?
2011 - Swan
2012 - Beach Club, Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 - Wilderness Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk Inn, 7 night WC FANTASY CRUISE
2014 - Caribbean Beach, Bonnet Creek, Port Orleans Riverside & FQ
johnnyblz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #17
johnnyblz20
Mouseketeer

I just stayed at the GF and was upgraded from a garden view and was given a room with a water view and a view of the Magic Kingdom Castle.
2011 - Swan
2012 - Beach Club, Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 - Wilderness Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk Inn, 7 night WC FANTASY CRUISE
2014 - Caribbean Beach, Bonnet Creek, Port Orleans Riverside & FQ
johnnyblz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyblz20 View Post
Are you asking for upgrades when you check in or are they just giving them to you?!?
I have never asked for an upgrade. I don't know if it matters or not, but when we check in i always say good morning and have a smile., one I forgot to mention..we stayed at Dtd Hilton due to dh travel points. Our first room we were not to happy with at all...so dh asked for a different room and we got a rather large suite. So that was a nice treat.

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
shyjade
DIS Veteran

Yes, to a DIRTY room!!

When checking in at AKL, I asked if a Pool View room had become available that I could PAY the difference for (only Standard & Savannah were available when I had booked the trip, and Savannah was out of the question, so I'd booked Standard). I never once insinuated or expected to be upgraded for free, I was very up front about that from the start.

Got to our Pool View room (ground floor, blocked by vegetation, couldn't even see the pool) and it was FILTHY. Dead flies all over the nightstand, a thick layer of dust on everything, including the towel animal. I mean, it was seriously dusty/dirty.

Went to the front desk and explained the situation. I was assured the room would be cleaned within the hour. Went to Epcot, came back to find the room untouched. Called Housekeeping, who said they would take care of it right away.

Went to dinner, came back to a still-untouched room. At this point, I was in tears after an exhausting day of travel and completely dissappointed in our first onsite stay. I was a very big deal for me to splurge on that resort. I asked to speak to the manager, but was given Housekeeping again.

(Yes, my fault, I should've demanded to talk to the manager. I'll never make that mistake again)

The Housekeeping manager moved us to a far-off Savannah room overlooking the people pen. They didn't charge me for the upgrade, but I would much rather have had a room that wasn't soooo far away from everything (I was traveling alone with a small child) and the lovebugs were so bad we couldn't go onto the balcony.

I learned that the dirty room had been sitting empty for nearly a month and was supposed to be cleaned before being used again. It wasn't the dirty room that bothered me as much as the lack of follow-through by the staff.

Needless to say, although I love the feel of the resort, we've never returned and probably never will.

So be careful what you wish for!

shyjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyjade View Post
Yes, to a DIRTY room!!

When checking in at AKL, I asked if a Pool View room had become available that I could PAY the difference for (only Standard & Savannah were available when I had booked the trip, and Savannah was out of the question, so I'd booked Standard). I never once insinuated or expected to be upgraded for free, I was very up front about that from the start.

Got to our Pool View room (ground floor, blocked by vegetation, couldn't even see the pool) and it was FILTHY. Dead flies all over the nightstand, a thick layer of dust on everything, including the towel animal. I mean, it was seriously dusty/dirty.

Went to the front desk and explained the situation. I was assured the room would be cleaned within the hour. Went to Epcot, came back to find the room untouched. Called Housekeeping, who said they would take care of it right away.

Went to dinner, came back to a still-untouched room. At this point, I was in tears after an exhausting day of travel and completely dissappointed in our first onsite stay. I was a very big deal for me to splurge on that resort. I asked to speak to the manager, but was given Housekeeping again.

(Yes, my fault, I should've demanded to talk to the manager. I'll never make that mistake again)

The Housekeeping manager moved us to a far-off Savannah room overlooking the people pen. They didn't charge me for the upgrade, but I would much rather have had a room that wasn't soooo far away from everything (I was traveling alone with a small child) and the lovebugs were so bad we couldn't go onto the balcony.

I learned that the dirty room had been sitting empty for nearly a month and was supposed to be cleaned before being used again. It wasn't the dirty room that bothered me as much as the lack of follow-through by the staff.

Needless to say, although I love the feel of the resort, we've never returned and probably never will.

So be careful what you wish for!

This was our experience at BC altho it wasn't an upgrade but a filthy room wayyyyyyy down the hall, and we were Club Level so we will never go back to BC which is sad b/c I liked the resort although it certainly needs some refurbishments..Carpet down the hall faded and stained, furniture in room chipped and needing painting halls smelled musty and again this was CL!
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #21
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

the best pixie dust story I have was the first Disney trip for my mom after my dad passed away.
We booked a garden room at CR and when I checked in, I asked if there was anything available in the tower. As the CM was checking I got choked up telling her it was my mom's first time at Disney since my dad passed (6 months before). The CM was very sweet and told me she was sorry about my dad. She said there was a room available in the tower..that made me cry more..so we get our stuff and head to the room. I was expecting a Bay view but I had 11th floor MK view. I immediately went down to the front desk and thanked them for the pixie dust.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #22
NightAngelX
Would rather be at WDW

I am not sure if we exactly had an upgrade or not.

Last August it was my first trip to Disney. I was very excited and smiling ear to ear (when I wasn't crying from happiness). I know it was noted on our reservation but our CM at check in didn't speak English very well and he just told us our room number and we were on our way to find our room. We paid for a standard view with a special offer that made it possible for us to even stay at AKL vs other resorts. When we got to the room I went to check out the balcony and noticed we had a view! It wasn't the main savannah, but it wasn't a parking lot either. It was a small pond that had these huge vulture birds and impalas. I just looked at a map and it says it is just noted as Impala. Not sure what that's considered but I was expecting no view at all so I was very happy with our animal view. I took many pictures and one day when it was pouring down rain we sat on our balcony and watched the rain and animals. DH and I were like little kids with all the animals.

DH is BELOW GOAL!! I have 6 lbs to go!!!!
NightAngelX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #23
disneydreamer1970
Loves planning surprise Disney trips!

Major Pixie Dust for us

Back in 2010 we were upgraded from POR to GF! We checked in during Pop Warner and and the wonderful CM told us that they did not have room for us for the next 10 nights and asked if we would mind a complimentary upgrade to GF. I started crying right there.

The CM called a van to take us over to the GF and when were were walking to our room Wishes started. We stood there and watched and I was crying again.

It was a very magical trip for us!

Trish

disneydreamer1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #24
wdwmike59
Endlessly planning, just in case....

In 2007 we splurged and booked a Poly GV room for our 25th anniversary. When we checked in, the CM took out the map and showed me where our room was, I nearly choked. It was in the Hawaii building. My wife and kids were wrangling the luggage and my wife saw the look on my face and I waved her over frantically. I told her to stop worrying about the luggage, someone else would look after it for us as were going to be in the Hawaii building. She had no idea what that meant until I explained to her that we were upgraded to club level. That was our one and only surprise upgrade, but what a beauty!
Aug 2004 AllStar Music Xmas 2004 Pop Century
July 2005 Wilderness Lodge/Pop Century Aug 2007 Poly (upgraded to Concierge!)
July 2009 Wilderness Lodge CL July 2011 POFQ
Aug 2012 POFQ Aug 2013 AllStar Music switch to POFQ
wdwmike59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #25
Princess Katherine
The Yeti's Girlfriend

Last trip in August we were staying Poly club and we were updated to a theme park view. Best ever! We could see the fireworks from our room!

Katie
Princess Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #26
White Rose
Mouseketeer

During out last stay, we booked poly MKV and got CL MKV! It was our 5th anniversary and we were on the platinum plan.

It was awesome.
10/6-10/13 Poly, Platinum Plan, 10th Anniversary
10/13 -10/17 Disney Dream
2008: Poly, Platinum Plan 5th anniversary
2003: AKL. Platinum Plan Honeymoon (Grand Marshals: HS Stars and Cars Parade)
1999: POFQ
1992: Swan
1986: CR
1980: Golf Resort / Disney Inn (Now Shades of Green)
White Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #27
dispooka
Earning My Ears

Have been upgraded two times on check-in.

The first was sometime in the 80s from a standard room at the Contemporary to (i think it was called) the Michael Jackson Suite.

The second time was in 2010 from a standard room at the Grand Floridian to a water view Club Level in the main building.
dispooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #28
momminnie
DIS Veteran

I am dreaming of some pixie dust some day!
My Disney trips: 1st trip 1986-off site, DS1 1st trip 1993-off site,1996-off site, 2001 DH & DS2 1st trip ASMU, 2002 PORS, 2007 WL family trip, 2009 PORS trip with friends, 2010 CBR, 2012 POL POFQ 2014, AOA 2014 Mom and son MNSSHP
momminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #29
momtobrynncess
DIS Veteran

Several years ago, we booked CR with a Bay Lake view. Upon check in, I decided that I had changed my mind, and really wanted to splurge for the TPV. I asked the person who was checking us in if they had any rooms available with TPV, and said I am happy to pay the difference if they had one available. She checked, then went into the back for a minute. When she came back out, she said that they did not have any in that category, but instead offered us the Tower Club Level at no cost. I was totally floored, and overjoyed. I could not believe it. It was fabulous, and amazing! We felt very blessed!
5/97 CR Tower-8/98 CR-10/99 GF-9/2000 CR-9/01 CR (got engaged!-9/02 CR/Married at Wedding Pavilion-9/03 CR-9/04 GF/CR-9/05 WL-1/06 CR-9/06 OKW-2/07 CR (got upgraded to Concierge!)-9/07 CR-9/08 Poly-11/2009 Poly-9/2010 Poly-8/11 Poly-8/2012 CSR-8/13 Poly
Me dh dd ddog

momtobrynncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #30
germ539
Goofy is my favorite

Por

This past May, we booked Standard view and when we checked in at POR, they upgraded us to Garden View (both reservations)
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
germ539 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: