Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #31
kimiquin
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much everyone! We are heading DLR in July with our just 1 yr old. He does not eat eggs and dairy due to an intolerance. We were thinking we were going to have to bring all of his food into the parks each day. It is nice to know there are so many options (loving the fact Dole Whips are vegan)
kimiquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #32
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
I just checked out Sensitive Sweets online and OMG they look good. Unfortunately the breads and pizza crust don't work for DD15 (stupid yeast allergy) but a whole bunch of other stuff looks safe and yummy. I see what you mean about the push pops being good for the parks. I can see spending a lot in there.
She might be able to do Yeast free but I'm not sure. I know that if you need something specially made (different ingredients, other allergies, etc) she might be able to do it with advanced notice.

But this was sometime last year so I don't know if she still does but if you are interested in calling to ask about something, the owners name is Melanie and she is very nice.

Also, I just PMd you with some more info. Hope that helps!
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #33
spellhex
Mouseketeer

This isn't Disney, but Veggie Grill is a vegan restaurant chain found all over LA that's really, really good - and I say this as someone who is not a vegetarian or vegan. On their website, they promise "no meat, dairy, eggs, cholesterol, animal fat or trans fat" in any of their food.
If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game. Not tonight.
Tonight, we skate with them. Tonight, we stay with them. And we shut them down because we can!
Tonight, WE are the greatest hockey team in the world.
spellhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #34
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellhex View Post
Veggie Grill is a vegan restaurant chain.
I know there is one in the Irvine Spectrum, not too far from Disneyland.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 AM   #35
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychrista View Post
I know there is one in the Irvine Spectrum, not too far from Disneyland.
There is also one in UTC (university town center) right across from UC Irvine. The sweet potato fries are amazing! I miss being able to eat there...
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #36
jennameowse
Mouseketeer

I didn't see it posted here but Ghirardelli now has a couple of vegan options. I believe they're called Lemon Sorbet Sundae and Lemon Fizz. They sound perfect for summer.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:46 AM   #37
dreeger
Mouseketeer

My brother is vegan and loved the lemon sorbet with pineapple sundae at Ghiradelis (sp?). He was also able to request no cheese and no dairy on vegetarian menu options and was accommodated. .

Past DL Trips:
June 2010 Homewood Suites, June 2012 Homewood Suites, February 2013 Marriott & Marriott Suites, May 2013 Residence Inn (Garden Grove), July 2013 Doubletree Orange, November 2013 Ayers Orange & Disneyland Hotel, March 2014 Doubletree Orange
dreeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #38
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
Something to be aware of: The Fried Green Tomato sandwich at Hungry Bear is not Vegetarian, let alone vegan, due to the sauce used (contains fish) and last time I asked, the sauce could not be left off, as it was already on one of the components.
No way!?! Aww man. I won't even tell my husband. He is the vegetarian in our house and we always get this. I didn't even think to ask, we usually only ask when we suspect that it might have an animal product in it. I'll have to break it to him before our next trip

Countdown over Can't wait to get another trip on the calendar!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:29 AM   #39
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY4ever View Post

No way!?! Aww man. I won't even tell my husband. He is the vegetarian in our house and we always get this. I didn't even think to ask, we usually only ask when we suspect that it might have an animal product in it. I'll have to break it to him before our next trip
I am pretty sure Disney released a blurb on their blog that said the Fried Green Tomato Sandwich was vegetarian now. They took out the anchovies. Not sure of its vegan status, but I am pretty sure it is vegetarian now. You can always ask to be sure.
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:04 AM   #40
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchOwl View Post
I am pretty sure Disney released a blurb on their blog that said the Fried Green Tomato Sandwich was vegetarian now.
Yep, I read that quite awhile ago. Or rather I read that others had read it.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #41
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchOwl View Post
I am pretty sure Disney released a blurb on their blog that said the Fried Green Tomato Sandwich was vegetarian now. They took out the anchovies. Not sure of its vegan status, but I am pretty sure it is vegetarian now. You can always ask to be sure.
Phew, thank goodness for the DIS I am sure by the time we go again my husband will probably ask about everything. He has learned that you have to do that now even when you'd think something would be obviously vegetarian.

Countdown over Can't wait to get another trip on the calendar!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #42
Eclectic Goddess
My Ears are a Pair of Devil Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY4ever View Post
Phew, thank goodness for the DIS I am sure by the time we go again my husband will probably ask about everything. He has learned that you have to do that now even when you'd think something would be obviously vegetarian.
Beware the cupcakes! Quite a few places in DL and DTD use gelatin in the frosting. I'm not even a strict vegetarian, but I find gelatin too gross to consider. I was pretty bummed. Worse, when I've asked, they often haven't known if their frosting has gelatin or not.

Disneyland Trips
Fall 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 ~ Gay Days Anaheim
Winter 2013 ~ Off Season Magic
*Fall 2014 ~ DF's Birthday Extravaganza!*
*January 2015 ~ Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend*
*Spring 2015 ~ Star Wars Celebration*

Orlando Trips
Fall 2010 ~ Harry Potter Emersion Therapy / Visit to the ‘World
Spring 2012 ~ Taking the HLP on Holiday!
Spring 2014 ~ Princess Half Marathon Weekend / Wizarding World
Eclectic Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #43
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclectic Goddess View Post
Beware the cupcakes! Quite a few places in DL and DTD use gelatin in the frosting. I'm not even a strict vegetarian, but I find gelatin too gross to consider. I was pretty bummed. Worse, when I've asked, they often haven't known if their frosting has gelatin or not.
Yep. It was while checking for corn syrup based ingredients in the Hungry Bear cupcake* that I saw the gelatin in it, and even though I wasn't the biggest fan of Disney cupcakes, it was highly disappointing that a LONGtime vegetarian like me never even though to check a stinkin' cupcake. I check mousse, I check key lime pie, etc, but cupcakes?

Anyway, Hungry Bear has the ingredient book right there, it's how I checked the ingredients in the cupcake, so if anyone is nervous, just ask to look at it for the sandwich.

*gelatin was in two spots: the frosting and, if memory serves, the lemon mousse.... It seems silly to mention in a *vegan* thread that I checked for the honey lemon cupcake, but really, at Disney are they REALLY using honey in anything? Honey flavoring seems far more likely. But anyway, the gelatin blasts it out of the water for vegan or vegetarian.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #44
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

You know what's funny...while doing some heavy googling, the fried green tomato sandwich has been touted as vegetarian from the first moment of the "new" menu. I'm only seeing one person replying saying that they were *told* that the remoulade contained anchovy. They don't say they read it in the binder, but that they were told.

It's odd. I wonder if it ever was actually made with anchovy?
Old 05-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #45
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
You know what's funny...while doing some heavy googling, the fried green tomato sandwich has been touted as vegetarian from the first moment of the "new" menu. I'm only seeing one person replying saying that they were *told* that the remoulade contained anchovy. They don't say they read it in the binder, but that they were told.

It's odd. I wonder if it ever was actually made with anchovy?
Interesting. I feel bad because one of my veggie friends was with me on a trip a few years ago and I totally thought the Fried Green Tomato Sandwich was vegetarian. The CM there said it was too. Then later I heard it wasn't vegetarian.

Then later on Disney said it was vegetarian! But was it always vegetarian? Maybe we will never know...

Reminds me of the tamale truck I ordered from recently. They had a "vegan" tamale: sweet corn with honey sauce. I told them honey wasn't vegan and they looked at me like I was nuts. Later on, I saw someone cross out "vegan" on the menu and put "vegetarian". Maybe they googled it!
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: