Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
Mr X
Earning My Ears

Petition about Marvel Super Hero Island

Since Disney acquires Marvel in 2009.

Disney Parks should bring all Marvel Superheroes to the Park.

The Only Problem is: Marvel Super Hero Island at Universal's Islands of Adventure.

With this area at Universal, There will be no Marvel Superheroes at Walt Disney World. This will upset Disney fans at Florida.

But with major refurbishment of The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man opened, this upsets more to the Disney fans at Florida.

It's okay that Monorail is decorated with Marvel Movies such as Avengers and Iron Man 3, but don't pass through Epcot.

I Started the petition to Talk to Universal Orlando Resort to get rid of Marvel Super Hero Island. sign here:

http://www.***********/es-LA/peticion...er-hero-island
Mr X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

The contract between Marvel and Universal predates Disney purchasing Marvel and since the contract in perpetuity, there is little or no chance Universal gives up Marvel. Good luck with your petition.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Sorry, but even if you get any traction with the petition, Universal won't give it a second thought. Right now those characters are probably a (distant) second to Harry Potter in terms of draw for the park. It would be expensive to retheme an area that doesn't really need it. And the terms of the contract were set long before the big explosion of popularity, so likely the licensing fee is cheap. To give it up to give the advantage to their primary competitor wouldn't make any business sense.

I also doubt that a great many "Disney fans at Florida" care all that much.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Your petition is backwards. You should be petitioning Disney to buy out Universal rights. At a minimum Disney would have to pay the cost to re-theme the area. Probably also whatever additional costs would be incurred in licensing other characters. Probably also money to cover reduction in business.

You think Universal should release their rights and incur expenses without any compensation?

edited to add: Disney could have made their acquisition of Marvel contingent on Marvel buying out Universal first. I suspect character theme park rights wasn't really an issue.

Disney might even like having a competitor promoting Disney movies.

Last edited by Lewisc; 05-19-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
Mr X
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
You think Universal should release their rights and incur expenses without any compensation?
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS!!!

You are ruining everything!
Mr X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS!!!

You are ruining everything!
Universal would probably want something close to a billion dollars to cancel the contract.

And then Disney would have to further invest in actually building new attractions at WDW.

OR they can just collect checks on a regular basis from Universal.

Petitions aren't going to work. You're going to need to somehow come into a majority of the stock either at Disney (because very few stockholders, looking at the above scenarios, is going to choose the one that costs more than a billiion dollars for very little relative return) or at the Universal Theme Parks and Resorts parent company (so you can force them to take a much lower figure in terms of buyout).

Because, otherwise, chances are slim and none that this happens.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
Universal would probably want something close to a billion dollars to cancel the contract.

And then Disney would have to further invest in actually building new attractions at WDW.

Petitions aren't going to work. You're going to need to somehow come into a majority of the stock either at Disney (because very few stockholders, looking at the above scenarios, is going to choose the one that costs more than a billiion dollars for very little relative return) or at the Universal Theme Parks and Resorts parent company (so you can force them to take a much lower figure in terms of buyout).

agree about a billion to do it and i dont see disney spending a billion just to get marvel at WDW when they can invest in marvel at the other 7 parks across the world
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

there is no point to doing anything to acquire marvel rights...exactly 0 upside.

As it stands now...the competition is operating monuments to disney product across town and footing the bill. And disney gets royalties for nothing.

And what if they did go after or receive the rights back? Then they could throw hundreds of millions of dollars into building new things based off them...perhaps inferior things?
For what? To sell more action figures in marginal qualities when they already sell them in two different places?

People really need to switch the brain on with this one.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
And the terms of the contract were set long before the big explosion of popularity, so likely the licensing fee is cheap.
I don't think the popularity had a lot to do with it. They have always been popular. Although the recent movies have given them A LOT more exposure. The licensing fee was cheap because Marvel was trying to emerge from bankruptcy and was grabbing any cash they could.
Reddog1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
I don't think the popularity had a lot to do with it. They have always been popular. Although the recent movies have given them A LOT more exposure. The licensing fee was cheap because Marvel was trying to emerge from bankruptcy and was grabbing any cash they could.
True, but I meant "cheap" in relation to what it would likely have cost now. The movie exposure has greatly increased the popularity and value of the properties. USF is probably quite, quite happy that they have all the major properties locked up already for what is likely pennies on the dollar.

I believe Marvel Super Hero Island actually predates all the recent generation of live action movies - I believe the first was "X-Men" in 2000.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 05-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I believe Marvel Super Hero Island actually predates all the recent generation of live action movies - I believe the first was "X-Men" in 2000.
Blade was first in 1998, but X-Men was the earliest film that is actually relevant.
Reddog1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #12
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Blade was first in 1998, but X-Men was the earliest film that is actually relevant.
Ah yes, I forgot Blade was a Marvel property, but as you said it isn't relevant to the contract.

Then again, it means it is free for Disney to use

Old 05-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Old 05-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #14
dairylives
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post

People really need to switch the brain on with this one.
Well that was necessary.
dairylives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post

Definitly agree with this. Given the 1 billion number, which I think is very possible, I don't see why any Disney fan would want this to happen since that would be 1 billion less that they get to send on actually building an attraction. Even if they took a quarter of that and invested it in an attraction based on another IP, we could get a great E-ticket ride out of it.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marvel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: