Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 01:55 AM   #1
MermaidMommy
DIS Veteran

Need help finding meals big enough to share

This trip, it's just DD13 and me. DD can be a big pain at restaurants -- she's picky, eats like a bird, but tends to order way more than she can eat. So, I'm going over the WDW menus with her to figure out food she'd like, and I'm also trying to find items to share when we can. I'd welcome some input on whether or not the following restaurants' items would be big enough for a tiny teen eater and a mom with an average appetite to share. Thanks!

1. Le Cellier -- Fillet Mignon -- I know we'd be better off eating one of the bigger steaks, but this is the one we'd both prefer. Would it be enough to split if we also had an appetizer and/or a side?

2. Via Napoli -- Individual Pizza -- As a frame of reference, DD normally only eats two regular-sized pizza slices at most. We'd get an app to share here, as well.

3. Chefs de France -- Soup and A la flamme Alsacienne -- DD wants to eat here but we don't want to eat some of the heavier items as it's in the middle of the day (in August.) We'd each get a soup to go along with the Alsacienne. I just can't get a feel for how big the Alsacienne is.

4. Be Our Guest -- Is there anything here large enough for splitting besides the steak?
Old 05-19-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
ashley0139
DIS Veteran

The only one of those I've had is the filet at Le Cellier, but I am not a big eater at all and I finished the entire filet and risotto. I definitely don't think I could have split it with even another small eater and been close to full. I still had room for the maple creme brulee for dessert!

Pre-Trip Report 2009: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2293006

Pop Century October 19-26, 2011

Pre-Trip Report 2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2796928
Trip Report 2011:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867080
ashley0139 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidMommy View Post
This trip, it's just DD13 and me. DD can be a big pain at restaurants -- she's picky, eats like a bird, but tends to order way more than she can eat. So, I'm going over the WDW menus with her to figure out food she'd like, and I'm also trying to find items to share when we can. I'd welcome some input on whether or not the following restaurants' items would be big enough for a tiny teen eater and a mom with an average appetite to share. Thanks!

1. Le Cellier -- Fillet Mignon -- I know we'd be better off eating one of the bigger steaks, but this is the one we'd both prefer. Would it be enough to split if we also had an appetizer and/or a side?

2. Via Napoli -- Individual Pizza -- As a frame of reference, DD normally only eats two regular-sized pizza slices at most. We'd get an app to share here, as well.

3. Chefs de France -- Soup and A la flamme Alsacienne -- DD wants to eat here but we don't want to eat some of the heavier items as it's in the middle of the day (in August.) We'd each get a soup to go along with the Alsacienne. I just can't get a feel for how big the Alsacienne is.

4. Be Our Guest -- Is there anything here large enough for splitting besides the steak?
1. Le Cellier- Unless they have seriously changed the amount of steak on this one I couldn't share it even with a ap and a dessert- you should plan on each ordering your own or as you said getting a bigger steak.

2. Via Napoli- DH and I shared the fried vegies ap, an individual pizza, and dessert and didn't feel hungry afterwards. We were able to eat some snacks a bit later in the afternoon so I don't know if it completely filled us up.

3. no idea- I have had the soups and I wouldn't share mine b ut if you only wan a taste that would be okay- if the soup is one you would really enjoy then you will probably want our own- I have never had or at least don't recognize the entree you mentioned from here- we normally have other things.

4. Be Our Guest- I suposse it depends on what else you are eating for the day and which meal you are talking about. The dinners that we had would not be easily shared but DH's steak sandwich at lunch if we both had had soup and our own desserts as well would have worked for us. This is one place where I find the desserts to small to share.

Again a lot depends on how many meals you will be eating in a day and how much you will eat at the other meals. Overall other than the pizza you mentioned the places you are looking at don't really have shareable meal sizes. Disney has been cutting down on the amount of food on plates as part of there healthy eating campaign from what I have seen. The one place DH and I share and even have a bot leftover is the combo platter from Morocco counter service and we love it.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

I'd just let your DD order what she wants & let the leftovers fall where they may. Maybe you could order a salad or appetizer & then possibly pick over what ever she leaves .
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
carly chloe
DIS Veteran

Me and my 20 year old daughter shared an individual pizza at Via Napoli no problem. It's as big as a frozen pizza if not a little bigger. We actually shared alot of meals. CS service we actually ordered kids meals as they were big too.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
cammie810
Mouseketeer

My family often shares as we are not big eaters and don't always feel like carrying around leftovers! Just recently we have shared at Sanaa and 50's PTC and had more than enough food.
What is the worst that could happen? If you are still hungry you can always get a snack 2 feet down the road. It is not like you are going to starve to death in Disney!
cammie810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
purple figment
DIS Veteran

LeCellier: The filet is 8 oz. When the restaurant wasn't a sig at lunch the filet was smaller, but now that it's a sig all day we noticed the filet is 8 oz at either meal.

Via Napoli: The individual sized pizza is approx 11"-12" in diameter. It is thin crust and the toppings are not put on with a heavy hand. This is one place with an excellent app menu - the arancini is a favorite. And I always leave room for dessert - the Coppa di Brutti Ma Buoni (Ugly but Good Sundae) is one of my favorite DW desserts.

Ultimately I would suggest ordering what you want. If it turns out you're still hungry, you'll have a chance to try the many great snacks throughout the parks. In fact, sometimes I think we missed out on great snacks because we were too full from TS meals.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #8
Kimbysmom
Mouseketeer

My DD(9) and I shared a ton of meals on our trip last month, and that girl can eat, lol. We just found that a lot of Disney's portion sizes were rather large.

We both easily shared an app and individual pizza (no dessert) at Via Napoli.

I don't, however, see how the meals at Be Our Guest could be shared though. l ordered the shrimp and scallops in puff pastry, and although I couldn't finish it all, there wasn't enough for both of us to split.

I agree with an earlier poster though, if you share a meal and are still hungry afterwards, there are always tons of snacks to enjoy later

Kimbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:11 AM   #9
MermaidMommy
DIS Veteran

I had a feeling that fillet at Le Cellier was going to be too small to share! Glad to know that the individual pizza at Via Napoli sounds big enough for us, though.

I've told DD that she doesn't need to do her usual "I must order enough food to last through an Arctic expedition" since you can hardly go 50 feet at WDW without finding some kind of food to eat. Since we're not on the DDP this trip, I just wanted to economize when possible, so thanks for the help!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:48 AM   #10
Lehuaann
Lehu hu Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidMommy View Post
I had a feeling that fillet at Le Cellier was going to be too small to share!

Just a thought since you said DD eats like a bird - LC gives you three types of bread. So with bread, butter, and a hearty bowl of cheddar cheese soup this can make a filling appetizer between the both of you (we like to dip the bread ). By the time the filet/risotto gets to the table, she may want very little...
Old 05-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
Three cats
DIS Veteran

Of all that you have listed, I've only been to Le Cellier and I would say that the filet would be too small to split.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Three cats is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: