Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
ses1230
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhouseofmouse View Post
I know this is going to come off like I’m being a jerk…but really just trying to help…

I'm sorry I should have addressed the.... yeah if you can't get a ressie for 5: try and waste time with going to 6. Seeing how most tables are set up in even numbers right?? So If you can not get a 5 top table, you are not going to get a 6 top right??? Am I wrong, there are not a lot of 5 top tables out there! the system is looking for 6 top tables to put 5 people.

Also I'm pretty sure you don't always need a chair spot to put a highchair, there are spots in all restaurants you can put a highchair at a table of 4, right??. However the ressie system does not recognize these spots, so you cannot reserve them.)

All I’m saying is if you can't get it for 5 try 4....Disney is NOT going to turn you away for not counting a highchair!!. (yeah you might have to wait longer, but not turn you away and you can still enjoy the restaurants of your choice without upsetting the balance of the universe) Again the restaurants are more flexible then the ressie system.

Sorry, not trying to give bad advise, just trying to be more helpful and giving another option. (one that will work more often then trying to reserve parties of 6 when searches of 5 didn't work)

Whatever you do, I hope it works and I hope you have a great trip.
It's not really about where to put an extra chair, I think the issue is occupancy.

While I agree that it is very unlikely that the OP will be turned away, she may have to wait longer than if the reservation was correct, and that's not fun with little ones.

Luckily the OP asked if she should count the baby, not that she booked for 4 and needs 5, so now she has the correct information.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
camgenemmysmom
Earning My Ears

Thank you everyone for your input! I had already booked all my ADR for 5 people but I was trying to get some better times for a few of the restaurants. I noticed when I accidentally entered 4 the search came up with so many more time options so it made me wonder if I really needed to count the highchair. I am going to keep checking for better times but I will keep it at 5. My children will be 6, 3 1/2, and 1 1/2 so waiting longer or being turned away at meal time is not something I want stress about!
camgenemmysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #18
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm sorry I should have addressed the.... yeah if you can't get a ressie for 5: try and waste time with going to 6. Seeing how most tables are set up in even numbers right?? So If you can not get a 5 top table, you are not going to get a 6 top right??? Am I wrong, there are not a lot of 5 top tables out there! the system is looking for 6 top tables to put 5 people.
Actually, it's a well known current quirk in the system that it does NOT always look for a 6-top. So if you search for 5 you won't get a thing, but search for 6 and you get options. Same for us; searches for 3 did nothing. I put in 4, and voila, tables. Right now I have an ADR for 4. I'll be calling to cancel one off the reservation at some point here.

It's a very valid option with the current system's foibles. The OP doesn't need it, it turns out, but for others reading, it's definitely something to try if you aren't getting a table with an odd number of diners.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:55 AM   #19
purple figment
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know this is going to come off like I’m being a jerk…but really just trying to help…

I'm sorry I should have addressed the.... yeah if you can't get a ressie for 5: try and waste time with going to 6. Seeing how most tables are set up in even numbers right?? So If you can not get a 5 top table, you are not going to get a 6 top right??? Am I wrong, there are not a lot of 5 top tables out there! the system is looking for 6 top tables to put 5 people. [COLOR="Red"]The Disney reservation system has a quirk in it that makes it harder for odd number parties to find a table. While it's true that usually a party of 5 will be at a 6 top, the system wants to fill every seat at the table so it will "tell" a party of 5 there's no availability. If the person then inputs 6, suddenly there's a table because every seat will be filled. So your theory that there's no reason to try for 6 if 5 didn't work is incorrect. This quirk is most noticeable when trying to book a table for 1 because there are no solo tables, but put in party of 2 and voila!

Also I'm pretty sure you don't always need a chair spot to put a highchair, there are spots in all restaurants you can put a highchair at a table of 4, right??. However the ressie system does not recognize these spots, so you cannot reserve them.) At many Disney restaurants the tables are so close together you can't squeeze a high chair in. The more serious reason, however, is adhering to fire and safety code requirements.

All I’m saying is if you can't get it for 5 try 4....Disney is NOT going to turn you away for not counting a highchair!!. (yeah you might have to wait longer, but not turn you away and you can still enjoy the restaurants of your choice without upsetting the balance of the universe) Again the restaurants are more flexible then the ressie system. Actually we have seen people turned away for having more people than their reservation. The restaurant was running behind schedule so they were turning away walk ups, people who showed up late, and if a party had more people than their reservation they had to decide who among themselves who would go elsewhere.

Sorry, not trying to give bad advise, just trying to be more helpful and giving another option. (one that will work more often then trying to reserve parties of 6 when searches of 5 didn't work) While turning away extra people seldom happens it can happen so I would not be comfortable telling people to input fewer people than their actual party size. Also, it's easier to show up with fewer people, than to show up with too many.

Whatever you do, I hope it works and I hope you have a great trip.
Just my thoughts on why it's better to bump up the number of people for the res.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: