Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Victoria & Alberts vs. Monseiur Paul vs. Bull & Bear

We are considering adding one more fine dining night to our upcoming trip. We already have reservations at some of our favorite places (including Jiko & The Brown Derby). This will be a long trip for us & we'd like to try something new & upscale.

Based on reviews I've heard & our preferences, we are between Victoria & Alberts, Monseiur Paul, and Bull & Bear.

They all sound great, so its hard to pick one. My concerns about each are as follows:

V&A: will it be too stuffy and too expensive? We don't mind paying good money for an occasional big- ticket meal, but we also tend to lean towards casual but elegant places.

MP: again, too stuffy and pricey? I feel like if we're going to spend a good chunk of change on a meal I'd rather just go all out with V&A.

B&B: I've heard great reviews, but we frequently travel to places know their steakhouses, and I'm wondering if B&B would just feel like another nice dinner at a place like Morton's, Flemings, Ruth's Chris, that we could really get on any of our trips to major US cities.

Advice is appreciated. It'll just be two adults dining.
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
disnmooner2013
Mouseketeer

Victoria & Albert's is the most unique and memorable restaurant of the three (make that of any restaurant in Disney World). I would chose V&A. I have never been to Bull & Bear but was at the old Bistro de Paris and while good not even close to the same class as V&A. While V&A is more expensive than the other two; I think it is more "bang for your buck" than either of them.

OUR 2013 DISNEYMOON TRIP REPORT
disnmooner2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

I would put V&A in a class by itself. It may sound stuffy, but it definitely is not. The wait staff are able to put the Guests at ease.

I would put B&B more in line with a Morton's, and better than Flemings or Ruths.

And for MP, you have real French waiters putting up with riff-raff in Park clothing. They do tolerate us, but they are not really sure of us.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Pygoplites
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
I would put V&A in a class by itself. It may sound stuffy, but it definitely is not. The wait staff are able to put the Guests at ease.

I would put B&B more in line with a Morton's, and better than Flemings or Ruths.

And for MP, you have real French waiters putting up with riff-raff in Park clothing. They do tolerate us, but they are not really sure of us.
You wrote almost exactly what I was going to do! The only thing I find a bit stuffy with V&A is the decor...but it fits the theme perfectly.

As far as B&B, I might rank it a bit higher than Morton's (although as a Chicagoan, I'm a big fan of Morton's). The non-steak dishes at B&B are a bit more "chef-driven" and creative. It's still a step below the truly great steak restaurants like Wolfgang Puck's CUT, David Burke's PrimeHouse, Jean Georges Steakhouse, etc., but VERY good. I'll be dining at B&B in 2 weeks, but I'll also be eating at V&A twice!

A full-course meal at B&B will likely be almost as expensive as the main dining room menu at V&A (minus the optional luxury supplements), so I think V&A wins the bang for the buck contest.
Pygoplites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
baler31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygoplites View Post
You wrote almost exactly what I was going to do! The only thing I find a bit stuffy with V&A is the decor...but it fits the theme perfectly.

As far as B&B, I might rank it a bit higher than Morton's (although as a Chicagoan, I'm a big fan of Morton's). The non-steak dishes at B&B are a bit more "chef-driven" and creative. It's still a step below the truly great steak restaurants like Wolfgang Puck's CUT, David Burke's PrimeHouse, Jean Georges Steakhouse, etc., but VERY good. I'll be dining at B&B in 2 weeks, but I'll also be eating at V&A twice!

A full-course meal at B&B will likely be almost as expensive as the main dining room menu at V&A (minus the optional luxury supplements), so I think V&A wins the bang for the buck contest.
+1. We love B&B.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

V&A's hands down, no doubts what so ever.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit116 View Post
MP: again, too stuffy and pricey? I feel like if we're going to spend a good chunk of change on a meal I'd rather just go all out with V&A.
Of the three you mentioned, I've only eaten at MP and it's not high on the list of places to go back to. It was very stuffy; not in an elegant upper class establishment feel, but rather an uncomfortable, unfriendly feel. The food was good, but very expensive and I'm not quite sure the prices were justified. As Cheshire Figment noted, you'll see a mixture of attire and ages. When I went, there were no families with young children...it was mostly couples on dates or groups of older adults.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

Go to V&A. You will not be sorry.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
Hunnypaw
Encinitas, CA

V and A.... Bull and Bear.... want to eat at either of these soooo badly! Interested to hear what others think.

DIS Dad Club Member #623
Me , DW , DD
________
Nikon D200 | Nikkor 80-200 | Sigma 15mm f-eye
Hunnypaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
VrBchJ
DIS Veteran

I would definitely choose Victoria and Albert's. While it's quite formal it's also very welcoming. I don't like getting dressed up, I'm happiest in my shorts and t-shirt, but I'll dress for V&A. It's on our restaurant rotation and I wouldn't miss it. I think you'll really enjoy it.
VrBchJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
auntfrannie
DIS Veteran

I dined at MP and V&A a few weeks ago. V&A was truly an experience. I dined solo and was not made to feel uncomfortable at all. Food and service were both excellent.

I thought MP was very good as well but much more laid back because you are in a theme park. So while I wore casual clothes, it was nicer casual. I did have a difficult time understanding what the servers were saying at times because they are French and have an accent that I'm not used to. But I thought they were very friendly and I didn't feel uncomfortable at all.
auntfrannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

I enjoyed MP, did not find it to be stuffy at all and found the wait staff to be very pleasant! I enjoyed the change from the Old Bistro which I loved! V&A, doesn't attract me at this point, I can't commit to it! BB, just another steak house, we have Shula's, Morton's, Ruth Chris', yada, yada! Have you considered Todd English's Blue Zoo? The menu is diverse, the appetizers and entrees creatively prepared, nice ambiance! It's become my favorite obsession in the last 2 years!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
Mom21
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntfrannie View Post
I dined at MP and V&A a few weeks ago. V&A was truly an experience. I dined solo and was not made to feel uncomfortable at all. Food and service were both excellent.

I thought MP was very good as well but much more laid back because you are in a theme park. So while I wore casual clothes, it was nicer casual. I did have a difficult time understanding what the servers were saying at times because they are French and have an accent that I'm not used to. But I thought they were very friendly and I didn't feel uncomfortable at all.
I'm glad you said you ate there alone. I hace never been to a restaurant or even on a trip by myself. I'm seriously thinking of coming for a day or 2 of Food and wine festival by myself. I might feel a bit guilty though as my daughter, a foodie, would probably enjoy it more than I will. I just don't want to pay the price for her at this time.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #14
CarolynFH
Sometimes my daughter posts as me
TFs think that they need to do a "Freaky Friday"

For exquisite food in an upscale environment, V&A. It is truly very special.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
jesswindsor
DIS Veteran

Victoria and Alberts is hands down the one to go with.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: