Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #571
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
Now that would be awful. I love this thing.
Yeah, but you still have to remember to put it there
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #572
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Yeah, but you still have to remember to put it there
True, but it's either in the safe, packed in my bag waiting by the door, or we're on vacation. I always unpack & have everything washed & put away by the end of the next day before I return to work.
Register to remove

Old 05-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #573
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
True, but it's either in the safe, packed in my bag waiting by the door, or we're on vacation. I always unpack & have everything washed & put away by the end of the next day before I return to work.
I wonder if they lost it when they used it to do online check in. I have had to haul mine out several times to book things for this trip That is always when I am afraid I won't put it up. Never happened, but....
Old 05-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #574
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I wonder if they lost it when they used it to do online check in. I have had to haul mine out several times to book things for this trip That is always when I am afraid I won't put it up. Never happened, but....
Yes, packing is a stressful time. It's easy to say to yourself you're going to do something then get distracted & forget you never did what you thought you did. When my kids were younger, I'd have dh take them to a movie, lunch & visit my inlaws so I'd have enough quiet to hear myself think.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:31 AM   #575
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Car sickness --- nausea ---

OK guys. Last minute change of plans. So someone in my group is secretly pregnant. (Not me, haha). It will be a surprise announcement to the rest of my family members on the cruise. She's going to be 8 weeks during our cruise and it already pukey.

For Naples, we still want to go to Pompeii. She's asked me to look into whether going to Positano or Sorrento is less intense as to car sickness. We have a private tour booked so we can change our itinerary.

Any suggestions on the least amount of driving/switchbacks/throwing up?

She'll have dramamine and sea bands, but obviously would prefer not to take any meds this early in the pregnancy and/or to throw up all over people.

Super happy for her, and kinda concerned about her puking. I remember those early days ugh...puke puke puke.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #576
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post

For Naples, we still want to go to Pompeii. She's asked me to look into whether going to Positano or Sorrento is less intense as to car sickness. We have a private tour booked so we can change our itinerary.

Depends on the driver of the tour. The roads are very narrow and windy. Sorrento and Positano. I actually took dramamine and it still made me queasy. So, I made them stop at all beautiful major attractions along the way and it was much better.

However, we had a tour guide who was new to the tour company (private tour - TourofItaly), and he got so carsick that he almost started vomiting in the shuttle.

We did not get to hear any type of history on the way back from Sorrento.

So, my advice is that if it is a small private tour, have them stop as much as they can so that your friend gets enough fresh air and a soda.

If it's a large tour bus, have her sit in front and make sure that she looks out to the horizon / front of the bus. She will need to speak with her OB to see what type of medication is available during her pregnancy.

Bring plastic bags just in case and smelly salt.

I hope things go well! Good luck and have fun!
Quote:
She'll have dramamine and sea bands, but obviously would prefer not to take any meds this early in the pregnancy and/or to throw up all over people.

Super happy for her, and kinda concerned about her puking. I remember those early days ugh...puke puke puke.
abayaflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #577
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:

OK guys. Last minute change of plans. So someone in my group is secretly pregnant. (Not me, haha). It will be a surprise announcement to the rest of my family members on the cruise. She's going to be 8 weeks during our cruise and it already pukey.

Pompeii is less intense drive wise then Sorrento, but I am not sure if you asking which to do "with" Pompeii or what?

This is a very hilly part of Italy with winding roads and "Italian Drivers" Not always the best combination unfortunately.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #578
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Oh no, switchbacks & hilly!? I will just have to keep my eyes closed & pray.
Someone please tell me it's not as bad as Rt. 49 in Cali. near Yosemite. Hairpin turns & no guard rail whatsoever. Not even a curb. I was ready to abandon the rental car & luggage and just walk.

At least it's after our day in Rome, not before.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #579
mom3bellasorella
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Oh no, switchbacks & hilly!? I will just have to keep my eyes closed & pray.
Someone please tell me it's not as bad as Rt. 49 in Cali. near Yosemite. Hairpin turns & no guard rail whatsoever. Not even a curb. I was ready to abandon the rental car & luggage and just walk.

At least it's after our day in Rome, not before.
It is that bad... Our tour driver got sick the last time we went as well.
mom3bellasorella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #580
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Does this apply to all phones on your plan or just one? Can you get it for just one month then cancel after the trip?
I think it's per phone. You can cancel the plan when you get back. The last time I did it, Verizon asked me what day I would be back and said the plan would be cancelled at midnight that day. I called the next day to check and it had been cancelled.

If you have Verizon, they have an international number you can call if you have problems making calls while overseas. I've had to call it a couple of times because the dialing and texting instructions I was given didn't work. The operators are very nice and the call is always free.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #581
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Pompeii is less intense drive wise then Sorrento, but I am not sure if you asking which to do "with" Pompeii or what?

This is a very hilly part of Italy with winding roads and "Italian Drivers" Not always the best combination unfortunately.
We're going to Pompeii regardless, but I wanted to know if it was less nauseating to go to Positano without Sorrento, or perhaps skip Positano and straight to Sorrento?

I guess Positano is closer right, so shorter drive on hilly roads?

If it's that bad and a pregnant lady can't handle it, we might just all split up after Pompeii But I'd hate for her to change her plans completely without knowing how bad it REALLY is. Now it's sounding like my kids probably can't handle it. I was driving up the 405 from OC to LA a month ago and my DD puked in the car from the traffic being so bad (stop and go for 2.5 hours).
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #582
whiteside61
Earning My Ears

Arrival time/departure...Florence on your Own Tour

Can anyone tell me what time the bus arrives and departs Florence for the DCL "Florence on Your Own" excursion? I am assisting my mother and sister in planning their trip and wanted to prebook tickets to the Uffizi and Accademia. Both museums require a prebooked entry time. I am hoping they will have time to visit both museums, enjoy a cafe lunch and do some general sightseeing in the alloted time.

They are on the Aug 31 7 night med cruise.
whiteside61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #583
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Someone please tell me it's not as bad as Rt. 49 in Cali. near Yosemite.
Yes, it's pretty much like that. Don't close your eyes... keep them open. If you can crack the window open, this will help.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #584
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We're going to Pompeii regardless, but I wanted to know if it was less nauseating to go to Positano without Sorrento, or perhaps skip Positano and straight to Sorrento?

I guess Positano is closer right, so shorter drive on hilly roads?

If it's that bad and a pregnant lady can't handle it, we might just all split up after Pompeii But I'd hate for her to change her plans completely without knowing how bad it REALLY is. Now it's sounding like my kids probably can't handle it. I was driving up the 405 from OC to LA a month ago and my DD puked in the car from the traffic being so bad (stop and go for 2.5 hours).
It's just windy roads. Small, narrow, and like the previous disboarder mentioned, the drivers, switchbacks, etc.

So, I live off a very windy road near Highway 17 in the Santa Cruz Mountains in California. It's really windy. The windy part gets most everyone who is not accustomed to driving the windy roads in the mountains.

Again, we were okay until we were in the windy part of the roads going to Sorrento. We planned to go to Positano, but again our driver got really back car/motion sickness.

It's not stop & go traffic like OC to LA (I graduated from UC-Irvine) and commuted through LA traffic.

The kids can handle it.

They had so much fun!

Just make sure that your friend adjusts to the uncertainty of the road and have fun

We made the best of it and that's why we had a private tour guide and driver.

Just need to accommodate the unexpected exciting situations.

Have fun!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #585
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteside61 View Post
Can anyone tell me what time the bus arrives and departs Florence for the DCL "Florence on Your Own" excursion? I am assisting my mother and sister in planning their trip and wanted to prebook tickets to the Uffizi and Accademia. Both museums require a prebooked entry time. I am hoping they will have time to visit both museums, enjoy a cafe lunch and do some general sightseeing in the alloted time.

They are on the Aug 31 7 night med cruise.
I looked and can't find anything, but if you kind of work backwards that might help. We are suppose to depart from the port at 7:30 and they say this is a 10 plus hour excursion. So figure they want you back on board at say 6 and work backwards. 2.5 hours from Florence to port is 3:30 And if they leave around around 8 then that's 10:30 or so into Florence.

Accidemia is smaller and won't take as long. Uffizi could take forever, they will have to pick and choose!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: