Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #61
LLOC33
Earning My Ears

Love your PTR - I guess you could say I'm a planner too because my cruise doesn't even leave for Alaska until 2014 Can't wait to read your TR - did you do a TR last time you were in Alaska (would love to read it).

LLOC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #62
egesicki
Mouseketeer

Does it make me seriously ill if I am already planning for Aug 2017?? I so hope DCL will still be doing Alaska then because our budget and our kids ages (6 1/2 and 1 1/2 right now) have us thinking 2017 is the year. And it will be our 20th anniversary, and DH and DS6 both have birthdays the last week of August. So anyway thanks for the info, can't wait to read more!

Dream 4nt Bahamas February 2011 9138, Wonder 4nt Bahamas March 2013 8084, WDW Mar 2015?

egesicki is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #63
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLOC33 View Post
Love your PTR - I guess you could say I'm a planner too because my cruise doesn't even leave for Alaska until 2014 Can't wait to read your TR - did you do a TR last time you were in Alaska (would love to read it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by egesicki View Post
Does it make me seriously ill if I am already planning for Aug 2017?? I so hope DCL will still be doing Alaska then because our budget and our kids ages (6 1/2 and 1 1/2 right now) have us thinking 2017 is the year. And it will be our 20th anniversary, and DH and DS6 both have birthdays the last week of August. So anyway thanks for the info, can't wait to read more!
zweihund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #64
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

So, was anyone able to determine if the hand warmers have a shelf life or not?

We have a brand new Gander Mountain opening up near my office, and I wonder if they would carry something like that.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #65
COASTIEandMATE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedd4DW View Post
Loving your pre-trip report! We are on the cruise after you. Also taking grandparents and another family. Also flying into Vancouver (my family and parents) while the other family flies into Seattle and takes the train. We are also gold and traveling with all noobs. Slightly different ages for kids though - this is a high school graduation trip for my oldest son. (Who am I kidding? It is what I wanted to do. But all I had to say was Disney Cruise and he was ready to go!) I am a compulsive over-packer, so I am going to have to study the RS packing pages and use some of your recommendations. And I have been obsessed with planning since I booked this in March of 2012.
I love your trip report too!! We also were on the Inaugural May 2011 Alaska cruise and we never thought we could do it again, but guess what? We are going on the May 27 Alaska cruise this year!! Thank you soo much for sharing your plans with all of us, and we are doing some of the excursions differently this time around too. Can't wait for your next installment... Aloha, Karen and Ron
Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #66
Ellester
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
So, was anyone able to determine if the hand warmers have a shelf life or not?

We have a brand new Gander Mountain opening up near my office, and I wonder if they would carry something like that.
I have used similar ones YEARS after they were purchased, and they worked just fine. They are activated once they are exposed to air, so as long as the package is intact they should have a pretty much infinite shelf life. The price on Amazon is pretty good, I ended up buying some at Sports Authority last month for an unseasonably cold baseball game and they were much more expensive. (Our Walmart sometimes has them for hunting season, but they were all sold out. It's supposed to be warm in Georgia in March!)

Enjoying the PTR! I just today booked our airfare for our Alaska cruise in September. I'm looking forward to reading the reports from the earlier sailings!
Ellester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #67
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Just discovered your PTR and am loving it. You have pretty much picked the excursions we did last year. Looking forward to reading everyones Alaska TRs this year as I so want to go back.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #68
scrapycruiser
DIS Veteran

Love your TR ! We're not going until July 28,2014. We have 6 staterooms. Thanks for all the info. Looking forward to the rest of the story :-)
Old 05-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #69
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.

I'm still alive, I promise. It's been a busy few weeks.

Still haven't booked airfare I know, I know....but we'll be doing that this weekend. Also taking a mini-vacation to NYC this weekend with Izzy - girls' weekend!

As our cruise thread pointed out - we sail NEXT MONTH. Holy moly. It's going to be here before we know it! Good thing I'm too busy to panic
Old 05-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #70
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by zweihund View Post
I'm still alive, I promise. It's been a busy few weeks.

Still haven't booked airfare I know, I know....but we'll be doing that this weekend. Also taking a mini-vacation to NYC this weekend with Izzy - girls' weekend!

As our cruise thread pointed out - we sail NEXT MONTH. Holy moly. It's going to be here before we know it! Good thing I'm too busy to panic
Wow, still no airfare? - I booked ours 11 months out !
I keep thinking the cruise is ages away and then I try and fit in weekend stuff and realise there are too many of them left!
Be sure to post when you have booked your flights - my nerves can't take it
Linda67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #71
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Wow, still no airfare? - I booked ours 11 months out !
I keep thinking the cruise is ages away and then I try and fit in weekend stuff and realise there are too many of them left!
Be sure to post when you have booked your flights - my nerves can't take it
Linda, you'll be thrilled to know we have BOOKED OUR FLIGHTS!!!

Funnily enough, I was starting to stress over the weekend as the prices were quickly rising....but Izzy and I were away on a girls' weekend in NYC with one of my best buddies so I wasn't able to book until we returned. Celebrity sightings: Rod Stewart, Ben Stiller (who incidentally are both about my height) and the Naked Singing Cowboy. I don't know if the latter actually counts as a celebrity, but he rounds out the trio nicely.
I digress.

My dad wanted us to all book our flights at the same time, so he wrote me a check on Sunday. At this point, the flights were up to $750 (from $670)....total bummer. But when I tried to put his check in the ATM Monday morning, the ATM said "we cannot accept deposits at this time."

Lionel rushed out later that afternoon to deposit the check directly at the bank (I had an afternoon appointment) and success! My parents stopped by so we could book the flights.
And, my computer would not let me log in to any travel sites OR the bank.

Talked to my stepmom this morning (now Tuesday) and she had planned to stop by this evening after work so we could look at flights together and mourn the extra hundreds of dollars this trip was now costing us. Who knows what the airfare would be up to by then. Reluctantly, peering through my fingers, I logged on to hotwire.

$650.
Each.
Booyah!!!

I totally did the happy dance right there in the living room. With the curtains open. I don't care who saw me. I texted everyone I knew, and some people I didn't.
"Guess who just saved $500 on airfare?"
"Uhhh, who is this?"

So now I am breathing a sigh of relief. I also solemnly swear NOT to look at airfare between now and travel day, because if it drops any more it's going to stress me out. lol.

Plans for tonight?
  • read more trip reports
  • check out Vancouver and Alaska weather
  • complete online check-in
  • review packing list
  • not sleep
Old 05-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #72
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Great news on the flights.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #73
mommamonster
Mouseketeer

I just found your trip report. You had my attention with the mention of diagrams, and those photos from RS are awesome! I will be able to use the packing tips for my upcoming DLR trip I am a serious obsessive planner and as soon as my DH said he wants to take an alaskan cruise I am all over the cruise side of the DISboards. So far I'm digging your PTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by egesicki View Post
If you are, then I am too We already have vacations planned for 2013, 2014, and 2015 so we decided to do our first cruise for our 15th anniversary in August of 2017. It gives me loads of time to research (being cruise noobs, I have no idea where to start) and save up enough to do the excursions and spa treatments, not to mention the expense of alcohol on board

DLR - May/June 2012, October 2013
mommamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #74
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Great news on the flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamonster View Post
I just found your trip report. You had my attention with the mention of diagrams, and those photos from RS are awesome! I will be able to use the packing tips for my upcoming DLR trip I am a serious obsessive planner and as soon as my DH said he wants to take an alaskan cruise I am all over the cruise side of the DISboards. So far I'm digging your PTR

If you are, then I am too We already have vacations planned for 2013, 2014, and 2015 so we decided to do our first cruise for our 15th anniversary in August of 2017. It gives me loads of time to research (being cruise noobs, I have no idea where to start) and save up enough to do the excursions and spa treatments, not to mention the expense of alcohol on board
That's what I'm saying! lol

We realized yesterday, over a few bottles of wine (with the other couple who is joining us) that there are only THREE MORE WEEKENDS between now and when we leave for Vancouver (or, in their case, Seattle). I'm still not panicking, but it does mean I need to get the last few things we need for the vacation PRONTO. Still need:
  • a pop-up hamper (or some other option)
  • scotch guard for our shoes
  • the rechargeable battery back for Isabelle's leap pad
  • one more travel laundry soap pouch...because you just never know

I had planned to get some new "exciting" things for Isabelle to enjoy on the plane, but I never ended up opening anything I had bought for our NYC vacation so that's covered! I still have a mini "My Little Pony", two mini puzzles and a new leappad game. Wrapped in purple tissue, no less. I'll probably get a few takeoff and landing treats, but otherwise I think we are pretty solid. Though I may also spring for another new game for the leappad: Minnie's Bow-Tique. Because, you know. Minnie rules. And also, it increases the liklihood of me actually getting to use my iPad on the plane...

I just totally high-fived myself.

Last night, Stefanie (Paige's mom) expressed sadness that it was, in her words, "too soon to start packing." To which I shouted "BLASPHEMY!!!!"

The best part about only having three weekends left, it that they are almost all spoken for...meaning they will pass quickly! As my sister-in-law says, our dance card is almost always full this week a dear friend from London arrives in town with her daugher. She'll be at Disney for TWO WEEKS! And I know we will be out there multiple times for Disney play days and catch up time. That leaves only one weekend, during which I am working an extra shift.

Bring on this vacation!
Old 05-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #75
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Love that you had a girls weekend with DD in NY

I just can't believe how close this trip is now

I always seem to do this, I think "ah it's ages away" and then I try and work out when I can do various errands and visit friends etc and it's like ... Oh I have three free weekends!!!

I am so happy you got a great price on your flights

Tomorrow I am gonna have to follow your lead and work on my packing lists
Linda67 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: