Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #331
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Unless the insurance company decides the car is totalled, or you have one of those policies that will replace a car less than a year old, I don't think you will have much luck. The insurance company doesn't have to give you the value of the car if it isn't totaled, just the value of the repairs.

You best bet might be to get the car repaired and trade it, knowing that the dealership will give you less for it because they will be able to tell it has been wrecked.

It's a crappy system, but there isn't much you can do.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #332
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
They will replace it or fix it. They won't give it back to you still bent
Replacing a frame pretty much IS a new car.

No, they'll TRY to fix it. But even it they get it straightened out the metal will have been heated and twisted back into shape. The heating of that metal compromises the integrity of the metal and makes it brittle - easier to break again.

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (18); Bear (7); Cosmo (7? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #333
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDumbo View Post
I want to be made whole. A car with a repaired frame is not whole. I want a safe car like I had before.
Exactly. I would not accept a vehicle that had the frame bent. It is not safe. They should total the vehicle and give you the amount of money the vehicle is worth. Of course it would cost less to repair it, so they will push for the repair. Tell them no, no, no.

Good luck! I'm sorry this is ongoing for you. What a thing to have to go through while pregnant! I hope you are doing well otherwise.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #334
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Of course the first thing when I got back to my floor was everyone wanting to know what happened at the meeting. I just said I am not supposed to discuss it. People seemed to understand. I was also 2 hours behind on my work so I was pretty busy for the rest of the day.
I'm very glad everything is working out, and that the meeting was better than you'd anticipated.

Not to open another can of worms, but are you allowed to discuss it here any more? My thought being ... is anyone else from your office post here or is anyone else from work likely to read this?

You've given lots of info on the accident, what transpired, etc. It wouldnt' be too hard for someone who knows you to recognize the situation. And since you've posted the outcome here (which is the part you're not supposed to discuss at work), does that break any sort of line?

I mean, I'm sure you're not posting it all on FB or anything, but this is a public forum.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #335
FlyingDumbo
DIS Veteran

My husband thinks they will total it since they know they will get the money back from her insurance company. If we did not know who did it or my insurance company was totally on the hook, he thinks we would be getting a repaired frame back. But fortunately she was at fault, she has insurance, and my husband thinks they are just going through the motions and we will get a new car in the end. I miss my car! It is pretty clear that we won't have it back in time for the baby to arrive. We had to pay the deductible, but we WILL get that back after our insurance goes after hers.
FlyingDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #336
BeachGirlFLA
DIS Veteran

She should be fired and arrested for both the hit and run and the harassment of following you out to the car to pressure you not to have her fired. I haven't read any other responses but this was my first reaction when I read your post.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #337
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeydokey View Post
Because a vehicle that has been extensively damaged cannot always be repaired back to what it was, and may not be as safe to drive.
I remember some years ago if a car had frame damage it was automatically totaled for insurance purposes.

Maybe the equipment used to straighten a frame has gotten better, but I would put up a fight for the car to be totaled.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #338
FlyingDumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
I'm very glad everything is working out, and that the meeting was better than you'd anticipated.

Not to open another can of worms, but are you allowed to discuss it here any more? My thought being ... is anyone else from your office post here or is anyone else from work likely to read this?

You've given lots of info on the accident, what transpired, etc. It wouldnt' be too hard for someone who knows you to recognize the situation. And since you've posted the outcome here (which is the part you're not supposed to discuss at work), does that break any sort of line?

I mean, I'm sure you're not posting it all on FB or anything, but this is a public forum.

They told me not to discuss it at work. I haven't . I don't work for the disboards. If it were up to me I'd post her name, credentials, and address for everyone to see. My employer is just afraid of her suing them. If she wants to sue me, go for it. I haven't said anything that is false. Or anything that identifies her here.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #339
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They told me not to discuss it at work. I haven't . I don't work for the disboards. If it were up to me I'd post her name, credentials, and address for everyone to see. My employer is just afraid of her suing them. If she wants to sue me, go for it. I haven't said anything that is false. Or anything that identifies her here.
I had some busybodies decide to track me on here a few days ago. Some people have nothing else better to do with their time. Sad, right?

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #340
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

One thing to keep in mind. A coworker had her car totaled. When they decided to total it, she only had a couple of days from when she got the check to turn in the rental car. So she had to look for a new car fast. With your baby coming soon, you may want to start looking. I would not accept a repaired car, sue her if you have to.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #341
dansamy
DIS Veteran

I would throw a fit to have a NEW frame. She wrecked yours. It's a safety issue. You bought a new vehicle for your growing family. It didn't have a bent, repaired frame. It had a solid, new one.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #342
FlyingDumbo
DIS Veteran

Just the thought of getting a new car right now is so overwhelming! I think we will get the same that we had which was a Ford Escape. But the new ones look different. I just wish I parked somewhere else that day! "Ain't nobody got time for this!"
Old 05-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #343
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGirlFLA View Post
She should be fired and arrested for both the hit and run and the harassment of following you out to the car to pressure you not to have her fired. I haven't read any other responses but this was my first reaction when I read your post.
This was discussed. State laws vary. In some states your only recourse would be a civil suit, because the vehicle code only applies on the public road, not private property.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #344
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Just the thought of getting a new car right now is so overwhelming! I think we will get the same that we had which was a Ford Escape. But the new ones look different. I just wish I parked somewhere else that day! "Ain't nobody got time for this!"
I was wondering what kind of SUV you had since few have frames anymore. An Escape does not have a frame, it's a unibody. So you don't have frame damage, it's damage to the unibody. Not sure that's any better, or any worse. They have a rack that they put them on to pull them back to where they are supposed to be. We have an Escape at work that got rear ended, it's been in the body shop for 3 months now. We were amazed that the insurance company was willing to fix it. It's a 2008 Hybrid with 100,000+ miles on it. The impact caused the roof over all the doors to bow out. Estimate came in at $6,500. Part of the delay was the person who hit it was driving a car owned by a local government. I think our insurance is stepping in to pay the bill because settling an accident claim with a government agency can take 6 months to a year. Also, they keep sending the wrong parts.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #345
BeachGirlFLA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmentChick View Post
OP, I am so sorry!! And I know pregnancy doesn't help matters. However, just as a note (I read through the thread and didn't see anyone mention it):

You will not be responsible for your deductible. The doctor is the one who has to pay it (well, her insurance company). What may happen is that your insurance company will pay it and then go after her....that's what happened in my last accident (I seem to be a magnet for them).

I hope your mental and emotional recovery is ok. Also, if you are worried about being accosted by her again, ask security to walk you to your car. You have every right to request this service.
Here's what we found out after being in two accidents (neither one our fault...in one traffic was stopped, an 18 wheeler was behind us, traffic started to move again, we were getting ready to start moving and the 18 wheeler driver FORGOT we were there and in the other a woman in a parking lot backed into our car) is that even though we didn't have to pay the deductible, our insurance rates went up because of these two. If nothing else, I would take her to court for that reason (although that may not happen in your case, since no one was in the car when the accident happened.)

Last edited by BeachGirlFLA; 05-19-2013 at 01:05 PM.
BeachGirlFLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: