Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #31
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairylives View Post
Whats the point of having a superiority complex if you don't have anyone to condescend to?
Is that what you were referring to, Tonkas Skipper?
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
Old 05-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #32
dairylives
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
pardon?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #33
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yeap..that too!

AKK
Old 05-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #34
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are back to perspective again. There are no exemplars of quality to judge Disney, so everyone uses their own metric. When people try to set up a system that evaluates Disney based on some type of standard, Disney doesn't look as good. And then people see that as bashing. This is what I appreciate about you and peterpirate2, and others...an attempt at providing a standard or fair assessment.

It is like the high level of customer service. If you compare Disney hotels to excellent hotels, the service amenities and value are nowhere near high quality. Using that standard, Disney resorts are mediocre. That should be very clear and it is easy to defend. But that comment is labeled as negative.

Perspective... again....I never never had anything but great service at Disney, nor have I felt them lacking.......but the big bull in the room is your paying for the fact your in Disney with all the extra amenities the entire property provides.

Location, location and the extra amenities found throughout the on site all figure in the calculation.

You never pay the prices Four seasons or the Waldorf charge if they wasn't in the local of big cities or areas that the wealthy go.

So your standard in incomplete and therefore does hold up.

Yes its negative...........but no you just presented your opinion and the facts your had to support it, you weren't shouting snarky statements or names!
Old 05-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #35
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
[/COLOR]

Perspective... again....I never never had anything but great service at Disney, nor have I felt them lacking.......but the big bull in the room is your paying for the fact your in Disney with all the extra amenities the entire property provides.

Location, location and the extra amenities found throughout the on site all figure in the calculation.

You never pay the prices Four seasons or the Waldorf charge if they wasn't in the local of big cities or areas that the wealthy go.

So your standard in incomplete and therefore does hold up.

Yes its negative...........but no you just presented your opinion and the facts your had to support it, you weren't shouting snarky statements or names!
See this is exactly the trap that PeterPirate2 refers to with this thread. If I explain this further I will be labeled as negative.

High quality service is high quality. There isn't a sliding bar. The employees at wdw are not paid well, they are not trained at a high level (a lot of them are interns), there are strict rules that the CMs must follow and they are not allowed the freedom to improvise to handle unique customer needs. It is simply not high quality based established criteria.

But, I agree the service is very good based on the conditions at play.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
Old 05-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #36
mrsR123
Mad about the mouse
Teacher, teacher, can you teach me?

Quote:
See this is exactly the trap that PeterPirate2 refers to with this thread. If I explain this further I will be labeled as negative.

High quality service is high quality. There isn't a sliding bar. The employees at wdw are not paid well, they are not trained at a high level (a lot of them are interns), there are strict rules that the CMs must follow and they are not allowed the freedom to improvise to handle unique customer needs. It is simply not high quality based established criteria.

This.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #37
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:

There was no trap...but if you don't want to explain yourself that is your right. If your having some fun at my expense by talking in riddles, that's ok to, that doesn't bother me.

Your statement was negative, its certainty wasn't positive, but that doesn't make they negative opinion bad!

As to the siding scale....I disagree and explained why, I feel the service is great, The overall package is what makes the Disney resorts high quality.

AKK
Old 05-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #38
swebb0310
Mouseketeer

I will admit that I haven't read this thread all the way through, but I think that at the heart of the debate is deep rooted personal philosophy. I don't think either side will ever come to a middle ground. That being said, i don't think it's s bad to point out that it is not necessary to belittle someone for having a different belief. I have been disappointed by the direction that comments have gone.
I'm new to the board, but I am new to any board I don't think it should matter how long I've been commenting here as to how valid my experience and opinion are.
I recognize that behind the magic and pixie dust is a corporation that is responsible to stand up to its share holders wishes. At the same time, I drink the kool-aid, and have never had a less than pixie dust filled experience.

My biggest concern with the negativity is that I feel like I read the most belittling posts from the perspective that Disney has lost it's magic at the hands of the greedy corporation. I respect your opinions, and am interested in learning both sides of the arguments. However, I can't see past the comments that drop with name calling and belittling statements.
Finally, if someone truly believes that the things that make Disney wonderful are being destroyed, this is not the place to make the change you want to see happen.
Honestly, the people here are either already on your side, or feel defensive of the thing try love and only see magic and pixie dust when they look at it.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #39
Disneyandphilliesfan
Mouseketeer

Here is my take on this.Disney World has alot more to offer then just the parks.The resorts are always a good time but pricey yes.I would rather go stay at one of the Resorts and pay big bucks to enjoy the pools and dine at some fun resturants with decent food.Have a magical day.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #40
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
What's going on on the DIS? It appears that all Disney naysayers are being targeted for extinction.

Just look at all recent threads where any negative Disney comment is made and you will see numerous rebuttals of the ferocious variety that are simply Rah, Rah, Disney is MY park sentiment by posters who generally have very few previous posts. I smell a Mickey Rat.

Come on Pete Werner, if you want all dissention gone just tell us.

I don't expect Pete to comment but I'm sure the apologists will arrive shortly.
I totally agree with what you said here.

disney lover at heart

Old 05-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #41
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

I must have missed something....

I doubt Pete is doing anything, or will do anything - I don't think he has anything to do with the day-to-day operations of the boards.

Unfortunately these boards are full of passionate people. And they can be passionate on both sides of the coin. I don't know what has really changed or why, but I've been noticing an uptick in people posting "Hey I've heard X and it came from Y and therefore it is absolutely positively happening...", followed by the mandatory "Your source isn't reliable...", and people getting all upset...

I think yes, there perhaps have been more personal attacks. But at the same time, I've seen people complaining about being attacked where there really didn't seem to be any, but rather corrections or attempts to set expectations. So it seems that there has been a similar uptick in the number of people who feel attacked just because their posts are questioned.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 05-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #42
boreas154
DisDads #728

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairylives View Post
This. There are more than a couple posters on this board that are constantly condescending and rude. My friends are shocked when i tell them that a Disney World message board is one of the nastiest message boards I've ever been on.
I'd recommend staying away from cruise critic boards. Half dozen posts and you feel like you've gone 10 rounds with Holyfield.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #43
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

I don't mind negative posts. However, I do find it annoying when someone seems to be negative just for the sake of being negative and refuses to acknowledge anything positive.

I also don't like it when they post a negative comment and then end the post with "I'm sure the Disney apologists will now tell me I'm wrong". They are automatically labeling anyone with an opposing view as an "apologist" and trying to discredit anything they say before they even say it.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #44
Figment632
DIS Veteran

I'm back muha hah
Old 05-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #45
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

There are some Disney "apologists" (maybe not the right term) who like to lecture on economics. I think at least some of those posters are just quoting slogans, others may be knowledgeable.
Their points can be summarized:
1) Disney is a for profit, publicly traded, company and has such has to maximize (short term) profits.
2) Disney has spend a lot of money on market research and analyzing their customers. We can't possibly know more then Disney. We should not be so presumptuous as to think our experience and articles we've read is close to good enough to even comment on Disney, let alone second guess.
3) Disney current results (or historical results when Disney was down) proves point 1 and 2.

Those points have some validity. Accept all 3 points and there really isn't any basis for discussion. We're left with people lecturing other on economics and not about Disney.

There are companies like Four Seasons, Nordstroms, COSTCO (to some extent) and Apple which exceed in customer service. The do far more then the minimum required by law in order to keep their customers and attract new customers.

There are companies like Spirit which has no interest in doing anything for customer service. Spirit believes their customers only book if the price is right and every dollar spent on customer service, other then whats required by law, is money which is wasted.

I've read Disney discovered they could charge room rates at the GF for close to 5* (4 Seasons) prices without having to spend the money on staffing, and amenities, required to offer a 5* experience.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: