Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
PinkMagnolia
Mouseketeer

Help me find prepaid Virgin phone cards at WDW

I live in Canada, and don't want to turn on my Smartphone in the US because of roaming charge surprises. In March 2012 DH and I bought cheap ($10 each!) Virgin flip phones from Wal Mart with prepaid phone cards. They totally met our needs as far as DH and I being able to locate each other in the parks.

For our upcoming trip to WDW I need new prepaid cards -- Can I find them anywhere at WDW? Maybe at Downown Disney? Also, does anyone know if these phones expire in any way? Like I said, the last time I used them was in March 2012.

We will be flying out of Buffalo, so it would be possible to get there a bit earlier to head to a US Wal Mart there to sort it out, but if I knew that there were cards at WDW, it would save me a lot of hassle.

Thanks -- I tried calling Virgin abut got nowhere and the phones will power up, but I can't use them (even to add $$ on them) from Canada.
PinkMagnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
archrd
Mouseketeer

I am also from Canada and had thought about going this route as well. We used out phones on wifi with a google phone app while we were there the last time and it worked not too bad. I wonder if you could get phone cards at the Hess has station by downtown Disney. I know in Canada I have seen phone cards at gas stations.
archrd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Best Aunt
"That's the best-est present ever!"

different question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkMagnolia View Post
We will be flying out of Buffalo
Maybe your question should be, "Do any of the stores in the Buffalo airport sell pre-paid cards for Virgin cell phones?"

Perhaps someone flying out of Buffalo in the near future could check it out for you.

Best Aunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

X

Last edited by kaytieeldr; 05-20-2013 at 07:05 PM.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
PinkMagnolia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Aunt View Post
Maybe your question should be, "Do any of the stores in the Buffalo airport sell pre-paid cards for Virgin cell phones?"

Perhaps someone flying out of Buffalo in the near future could check it out for you.
That's what I thought at first too, but I asked this question on the Canadian Trip Board a while back, and nobody had ever seen them there
Old 05-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
PinkMagnolia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
You can (at least I can, in the United States) order Virgin Mobile Top-Up cards at Walmart.com and have your purchase (redeemable code) delivered via e-mail.
This might work - thanks - I'll investigate
Old 05-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Can you just go onto Virgin's website and top up? I think you need your phone number or phone serial number.

Target.com also has Virgin cards last time I looked.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
aVASTGrl
DIS Veteran

You should be able to reload online, right? I have a UK Virgin Mobile phone, and that's how I top up when I'm over there.

[*]~Spring 2014 - WL"Flowers And Gardens And Bees" Solo Trip[*]~Summer 2013 - AKL "Family Reunion Recovery" Trip[*]~Halloween 2012 - YC Solo Extravaganza!![*]~Christmas 2011 - POFQ "Is That What Snow Looks Like?" Celebration[*]~Summer 2010 - Off-site[*]~Summer 2009 - CSR "Stop That Bus" Fun[*]~Summer 2008 - Off-site "Never Eating Salmon Again" Disaster[*]~Graduation 2007 - AKL "My Ankle Just Separated!!" Special Sister Vacay[*]~Late Summer 1998 - POFQ "Runaway Cart" Episode[*]~Early Summer 1998 - Disneyland Paris nee Eurodisney "Whinnie Le Pooh" Ooh La La[*]~March 1998 - Off-site Singing Competition "The Band Kids Stole Our Bus!!" Trip[*]~1985 - My One And Only Disneyland Trip That I Don't Remember[*]~1983-1996 - Every Other Summer WDW Pilgrimage aka the beginnings of my Disney Obsession Thank You Mom & Dad

aVASTGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
bookbabe_disneynut
self-confessed Disney addict...and proud of it!

Virgin's website won't let you use a Canadian credit card to do top-ups, or at least that's been our experience.

There is a section on their website where you can put in a zip code and locate stores that sell the cards...just use the zip code for the Buffalo airport and it will tell you the closest place to get them.
bookbabe_disneynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
aVASTGrl
DIS Veteran

ahh ok that sucks. If there's a Best Buy around where you'll be, they definitely have them. Targets should as well, but I really don't know if there are any of either near WDW.

[*]~Spring 2014 - WL"Flowers And Gardens And Bees" Solo Trip[*]~Summer 2013 - AKL "Family Reunion Recovery" Trip[*]~Halloween 2012 - YC Solo Extravaganza!![*]~Christmas 2011 - POFQ "Is That What Snow Looks Like?" Celebration[*]~Summer 2010 - Off-site[*]~Summer 2009 - CSR "Stop That Bus" Fun[*]~Summer 2008 - Off-site "Never Eating Salmon Again" Disaster[*]~Graduation 2007 - AKL "My Ankle Just Separated!!" Special Sister Vacay[*]~Late Summer 1998 - POFQ "Runaway Cart" Episode[*]~Early Summer 1998 - Disneyland Paris nee Eurodisney "Whinnie Le Pooh" Ooh La La[*]~March 1998 - Off-site Singing Competition "The Band Kids Stole Our Bus!!" Trip[*]~1985 - My One And Only Disneyland Trip That I Don't Remember[*]~1983-1996 - Every Other Summer WDW Pilgrimage aka the beginnings of my Disney Obsession Thank You Mom & Dad

aVASTGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #11
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

X

Last edited by kaytieeldr; 05-20-2013 at 07:06 PM.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
PinkMagnolia
Mouseketeer

So, I used the feature on the Virgin website and they only list "offsite" places such as Target, etc.. in Orlando or Buffalo.

I sent a quick e-mail to both airports to see if they might have them (we'll see if the get back to me with useful information)

We are using ME, so won't have a car in Orlando - which is why this is such a hassle. We also have a 6-hour drive to the Airport (for a 3:00 pm flight) so things might be tight when we arrive in Buffalo (in case of traffic, accidents, construction etc..) which is why I wanted to sort this out before.

I will try to get to the Target in Buffalo before the flight, but if that doesn't work out for whatever reason, I suppose I'll need to taxi it to the Target/Walmart in Orlando.

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 05-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #13
PinkMagnolia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
There are Target stores near WDW, bit truly, I don't think Walmart bans purchases based on the location of one's bank. I've purchased iTunes 'cards' from the website and gotten the code via e-mail.
This does seem like the simplest solution, and I truly appreciate it, but using a CDN credit card at iTunes, payphones, mobile phone websites sets off alarms at Credit Card security offices, which I want to avoid on vacation and out-of-country! I really wish I could do this, but don't want to risk the headache
Old 05-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #14
Rosemc2011
Earning My Ears

My mom used to have a prepaid virgin and she could get minutes by the phone itself with her credit card.. I guess if you can't find a card you can buy a prepaid credit card and call in.. I think they sell the phone cards at cvs and Walgreens though..
Rosemc2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

I'd contact Hess.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: