Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
AndreaA
Mouseketeer

How much zoom? Superzoom necessary?

Hi all.

I have a Canon 7D, a Canon s95 and an iPhone5. I went to Disney last year with my husband and boys (see sig) and we're going again this September. I am considering a new camera to avoid the need for hauling my 7D all the time, but I'm not sure if I should be leaning towards something like the Panasonic lx7 with it's limited zoom or the Panasonic fz200 with it's fabulous zoom, 2.8 across the zoom length but probably not as good noise control.

I am sure I will still bring my 7D to the park every day, tucked into the stroller, but it would be nice to not have to have it out all the time, and instead have something small and light to take on rides and grab quick moments.

Which would you choose? Which do you think is more useful? Do I even need anything at all, or should my s95 be sufficient? I wasn't thrilled with its performance last year in the various "modes".

I should add that that is one of my considerations. I would like a camera I don't have to "think" too much about. Just set and go, no fiddling with settings necessary, but POSSIBLE if I really want to. That's where I felt the s95 let me down.

Wilderness Lodge - Oct.2012
Villas @ WL - Sept.2013

AndreaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
havoc315
DIS Veteran

The s95 is a very good enthusiast compact. There may be other compacts with much more zoom. But unless you're spending big $$$$, you won't see an improvement in image quality. In fact, most super zooms will give you worse image quality than the Canon s95.
To get the most out of any camera, you can't rely fully on automatic settings. Not in all situations. So to the extent you were disappointed in the s95, you'd probably be similarly disappointed in any other compact.
Outside of more zoom, what do you think some other compact would give you that you don't get from the s95?
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
AndreaA
Mouseketeer

Blah. That's what I was afraid of.

I'm a family and newborn photographer so I know my 7D like the back of my hand and can shoot in all conditions, but I simply can't change settings on the s95 fast enough to catch quick moments, which is why I was hoping that one of the auto modes would work well enough. Apparently I need to practice with it more so that it becomes second nature.

With that said, I was hoping, besides better zoom, to get a better movie mode. I'm not fond of the 24fps that the Canons are currently limited to. I know some people love them. The Panasonics (both lx7 and fz200) seem to have an awesome movie mode.

I wish that the Canon s110 had a better movie mode, because the touchscreen seems like it would make changing settings easier, and it does have just a bit more reach than the s95.

But maybe I'm being too picky about movie mode?

Villas @ WL - Sept.2013

Old 05-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Honestly, you aren't going to be able so catch moments with your 7D either if it is in the basket of your stroller.

Maybe you could choose one lens, get a comfy strap and wear the 7D?
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
hakepb
DIS Veteran

FYI, (and to confuse you further) Panasonic has announced a LF1, same sensor as the LX7 with a bit more zoom and an EFV ( but its not a constant f/2.8 like the FZ200)

http://m.dpreview.com/products/panas...nasonic_dmclf1
Old 05-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
AndreaA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb View Post
FYI, (and to confuse you further) Panasonic has announced a LF1, same sensor as the LX7 with a bit more zoom and an EFV ( but its not a constant f/2.8 like the FZ200)

http://m.dpreview.com/products/panas...nasonic_dmclf1
Ooh, that does look interesting.

I wish that I could just carry my 7D all day, but with my bad back (as well as two kids who still require frequent lifting) it just doesn't work out. I tried it last year with a really good strap and was in agony long before the day was over. So now I plan to use it for character interactions (mostly during meals) and the iconic "in front of the castle", "in front of the Tree of Life" type shots and at the resort.

Villas @ WL - Sept.2013

Old 05-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

How much zoom is a fairly easy question to me. Is the range of your 7D lenses adequate for your needs? If so then find a p&s with a comparable 35mm equivalent range.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
W8n4night
Earning My Ears

Options everywhere

You could go this way ... A great bridge camera. Bought one not quite a year ago. Tons of flexibility, lots of zoom, not bad to carry at all. Price to value, very good.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-35438068.html
Old 05-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
AndreaA
Mouseketeer

I bit the bullet and bought the Panasonic DMC FZ200. So far it is amazing. I am really shocked at how good it is, particularly compared to my Canon S95, which I assumed would have better IQ.

Not only is the IQ great (and I'm talking in the AUTO setting, haven't even seen what I'll be able to get in manual) it is also FAST. There is virtually no shutter lag. Even fully zoomed in the quality is good! The video is also fantastic, which will be a lot of fun.

I think this will be a great Disney camera.

Villas @ WL - Sept.2013

Old 05-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8n4night View Post
You could go this way ... A great bridge camera. Bought one not quite a year ago. Tons of flexibility, lots of zoom, not bad to carry at all. Price to value, very good.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-35438068.html
I have this camera and have to say the zoom is amazing. It's my favorite feature. I feel like I could take a clear close up from an airplane.

Since all my other cameras got grainy with zoom, I am super impressed. I love taking pictures of things so far away just because I can.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: