Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #196
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccllap View Post
Disney sprays chemicals to control the mosquitoes on an almost nightly basis. It wouldn't be too much harder to find a way to repell or kill the flies, too.
Yes I was thinking that sometimes the answer is to introduce a natural predator of the thing that plagues you. So I thought natural predator of the fly? Hmmm....spiders? Bats?....how about Toads!!

and that made me think of "We thought....you was....a TOOOOAD!?"

Yeah yeah, I know...

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #197
JDUCKY
Local Yocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Yes I was thinking that sometimes the answer is to introduce a natural predator of the thing that plagues you. So I thought natural predator of the fly? Hmmm....spiders? Bats?....how about Toads!!

and that made me think of "We thought....you was....a TOOOOAD!?"

Yeah yeah, I know...

Loved that scene!

Disneyworld? Not so much anymore. FP- has ruined the experience for locals
Disneyland Paris - First trip (part of Honeymoon) - March 2012
Disneyland - 1st wedding anniversary - Dec 2012; Road Trip July 2013
JDUCKY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #198
g8torphan
Mouseketeer

UPDATE 2: At Rays now, minimal problem at worst. Haven't had mass landings on the stroller as others reported, and haven't encountered any specific areas that seemed excessive.

Biggest issue was ETWB going down after being in line for over 30 minutes tonight.

Otherwise a great time:-)

Magic Kingdom 2.2.13 Magic Kingdom 5.17.13 Epcot 5.18.13 Animal Kingdom 5.19.13
Magic Kingdom 2.25.12 Hollywood Studios 5.17.12Magic Kingdom 5.18.12 Animal Kingdom 5.19.12

DIS Dad's Club Member # 698
g8torphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #199
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

Just saw this.... I am local. In March we started noticing the flies were awful, not just at Disney but everywhere around here. It seems worse in the parks though. Someone said it was because we had a warm winter. The flies died down just in time for love bugs.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #200
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I was there with friends in June 2009 and my friend had an RV at Ft Wilderness. They had a cookout one night and I got all bit up from flies. The marks stayed on my legs for a long time.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #201
mickeyoverload
Mouseketeer

Debbie- I was there in 2010 in May and was eaten alive by a type of fly... It doesn't sound like same kind of fly though... The ones that bit me looked like a horsefly but it wasn't!

The kind folks here on the boards set me straight! lol.

They were much smaller. The bites didn't even bother me until days later we had gotten home. And I had the marks literally for month!

We are heading back the second week of June and I'm praying this fly thing under control... But I'm sure we'll be fine either way!!!
Old 05-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #202
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Um... I don't know about where you live, but around here houseflies don't bite. Neither do gnats, though midges sometimes will and blackflies always do. And horseflies will happily take a chunk out of you.

Houseflies barf on your food and lay their eggs in feces and can spread disease, but they do not bite. It'd be pretty hard, considering their mouth parts look like a sponge on a stick! (Which is why they spit enzymes onto things they want to eat, in order to break it down into a liquid they can soak up.)
In the fall when I sat outside the flies would bite, they also bite the horses to the point of open wounds (which we of course took care of). they are called biting flies/stable flies for a reason. They are not horseflies. I lived in CT at the time and have been bothered by them here and there in FL.
They look like houseflies and frankly who looks at the fly to identify it when it is biting you?

Look up biting flies. This is what I found for them:http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig081

Stable Fly

The stable fly (Figure 3), also known as the dog fly, is a blood-sucking pest that closely resembles the house fly. It is similar to the house fly in size and color, but is easily recognized by its large, piercing mouthparts, which project forward from the head. Unlike many blood-feeding insects, such as mosquitoes, both sexes of the stable fly feed on blood.

The stable fly is a common pest of man and animals throughout the world. Stable flies are strong fliers that can travel up to two miles in search of a blood meal. Because they are persistent and easily interrupted during feeding, they often attack more than one host, increasing the potential for disease transmission. Although stable flies may be mechanical vectors of several animal diseases, they are not known to play a significant role in spreading human pathogens.

In Florida, cattle persistently attacked by stable flies feed less efficiently, resulting in reduced weight gain and milk production. In addition, losses to the Florida tourism industry have occurred when large stable fly populations appear on the Gulf Coast, driving away beach-goers.

After acquiring several blood meals over the course of three to five days, females will mate and develop a batch of eggs. At this time, the female stable fly will seek out areas such as soiled animal bedding, spilled animal feeds, compost piles, and even seaweed deposits along beaches to deposit her eggs. Once an area is located, the female will crawl into the loose material, laying eggs sporadically as she moves. Each female will live for 20 to 30 days as an adult, laying between 500 to 600 eggs during her lifetime. The eggs hatch in 24 to 48 hours, and the larvae develop for a period of 14 to 26 days. The average stable fly life cycle is 28 days and can vary from 22 to 58 days, depending on weather conditions.

Also this: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/insect/05582.html
Stable Fly, "Biting House Fly"

The stable fly (Stomoxys calcitrans) is a blood-feeding pest known to attack almost any kind of warm-blooded animal. It is a major pest of confined livestock throughout the world, including Colorado. It looks like the common house fly except that its mouthparts are adapted for biting and sucking blood. The stable fly feeds by inserting its proboscis (beak) through the skin and then sucking blood from its host. Females can live up to a month and may require several blood meals during this period in order to continue laying eggs. It is a daytime feeder, with peak biting occurring during the early morning and late afternoon. Stable flies prefer to attack people around the ankles. It does not appear to be an important vector of any human diseases.

The immature stable fly (maggot) can be found breeding in many kinds of moist, decaying organic matter, including animal bedding, lawn clippings, and compost. The variety of breeding sites, and the fact that the adults fly several miles to feed but spend little time on the host, make it difficult to manage stable flies. Little can be done except to use repellents and protective clothing. Specific techniques have been developed for managing stable flies in confined livestock operations. These are especially important if the livestock operation is serving as a source of stable flies for nearby residential areas.

Last edited by gmeh1; 05-18-2013 at 11:21 AM.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #203
BlueStarryHat

Just picture everyone sitting at the computer in their underwear

There are flies with green heads that bite like crazy too, I know from summers spent at the Jersey shore town of Wildwood where they were everywhere. Thankfully, the ones at Disney just seem to be the small, pesky variety. Hope they're gone by December.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #204
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
Most of what you say is true. There is an exception most people do not know about, however. House flies will bite just before a rain. It is however unusual, but it is one way of predicting the weather or rain, just like when the leaves on a tree show the underside it means rain. It is almost rare, however. I have only been bitten by a housefly once. And no, it was not a deer fly or horse fly.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled thread. I didn't mean to go off topic.
Thank you Pampam.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #205
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarryHat View Post
There are flies with green heads that bite like crazy too, I know from summers spent at the Jersey shore town of Wildwood where they were everywhere. Thankfully, the ones at Disney just seem to be the small, pesky variety. Hope they're gone by December.
Those are one nasty insect. They are considered NJ's least favorite mascot.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #206
eeyoresnr
DIS Veteran

I live in NW Florida and this is what we have here as far as biting flies..

Deer flies (also known as yellow flies, or stouts in Atlantic Canada) are flies in the genus Chrysops of the family Tabanidae that can be pests to cattle, horses, and humans. A distinguishing characteristic of a deer fly is patterned gold or green eyes.[1]
Deer flies are a genus that belongs to the family commonly called horse-flies (Tabanidae). They are smaller than wasps, and they have coloured eyes and dark bands across their wings. While female deer flies feed on blood, males instead collect pollen. When feeding, females use knife-like mandibles and maxillae to make a cross-shaped incision and then lap up the blood. Their bite can be extremely painful, and allergic reaction from the saliva of the fly can result in further discomfort and health concerns. Pain and itch are the most common symptoms, but more significant allergic reactions can develop.[2]
They are often found in damp environments, such as wetlands or forests. They lay clusters of shiny black eggs on the leaves of small plants by water. The aquatic larvae feed on small insects and pupate in the mud at the edge of the water.[1][3] Adults are potential vectors of tularemia, anthrax and loa loa filariasis.
Predators of the deer fly (and other Tabanidae) include nest-building wasps and hornets, dragonflies, and some birds including the killdee
1963-1999 Disneyland... Too many to list /Feb 2003 WDW All Star Sports- (Honeymoon- 1st WDW trip) / Jan 2004 WDW CSR (1st Anniversary)/ Aug 2004 Disneyland (Home-Sweet-Home) / Aug 2005 WDW CSR & POR / Dec 2005 CBR (MVMCP)/March 2006 WDW CSR (Braves / Dodgers) / April 2006 POR (Daughters 21st Birthday)Dec 2007 WDW ASMusic & Villas @WL (My Birthday & Our 5th Anniversary & 2 MVMCP)
Feb 2008 Pop Century / April 2008 ASMovies / Dec 2008 ASMusic, CR & OKW & AKL-(CL) MVMCP/Steam Train & Keys to the Kingdom Tours...
May 2009 CSR / Dec 2009 CSR & AKV Kidani SV / Bay Lake Towers / Boardwalk Villas (Backstage Magic Tour) / April 2010 AKV Kidani SV & FW Cabins / May 2010 CBR / Sept 2010 OKW / Dec 2010 CSR (My 50th Birthday)
April 2011 A.S. Sports/Bonnet Creek / May 2011 Bonnet Creek / Dec 2013 Bonnet Creek / March-April 2014 Bonnet Creek
Working on my ROAR! Jaxon's First trip to meet Mickey Mouse... Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2988090
eeyoresnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #207
jess20k
DIS Veteran

YES!!!! Holy flies!!!!! We got back just about one week ago. The love bugs were a pain too, but the flies were worse I thought! Especially by the pool areas, they were all over the place! I never saw it like that before

jess20k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #208
Bete
DIS Veteran

You would have thought Disney would have tested this new mulch in a few confined areas before spreading it everywhere.

I hope the head of landscaping gets fired on this one.

Flies bring disease. It's more than annoying to me.

Now, let's add injury to injury and Disney will be using harmful insecticide to get rid of the insects.

What a mess!
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #209
maarch
Mouseketeer

Concidering when they become " flies " they will live around a week or two. Then die after making larva. The cylcle go on and on.

But since Disney is aware of the problem, my guess is they spreaded pesticide all over the place at night, killing the larva. They just had to wait for the flies to die by themself.

In 2 weeks top I think all of this will be history.
maarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #210
TJBerry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete View Post
You would have thought Disney would have tested this new mulch in a few confined areas before spreading it everywhere.

I hope the head of landscaping gets fired on this one.

Flies bring disease. It's more than annoying to me.

Now, let's add injury to injury and Disney will be using harmful insecticide to get rid of the insects.

What a mess!

The fly problem is not just at Disney.

Disney has been using "harmful insecticide" for a long, long time to get rid of insects.
TJBerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: