Originally Posted by Rileygirl
The double dipping of FP and FP+ will be outstanding for those who know about it, and know how to do it. Wish I had a trip planned in the next month or so. Dont know how long this transitional gravy will last though.
I know the mouse plans to quickly recoup their loss regarding the additional CM's - I guess my speculation is, the sooner they can get this thing up and running in full gear, the sooner they can cut back the staffing - so I think that they will try and make the 'trial' as short as possible to be cost effective.
Regarding the Disabled Guide News Release: (note here that perhaps I have watched too much West Wing on TV)
Disney is a giant media mogul. Their PR department must be huge, additionally, some of the best in the business working for them. Perhaps they were thinking about spinning the news cycle for them this way:
1. This terrible abuse (not debating here, my opinion that it is, yours may vary and thats ok) creates interest in Disney and shows a 'fault' of the system currently in place. Its distasteful (and debatable because there are 2 sides to this story) enough for not only the internet hounds of the disboards to hotly debate and comment on (how many threads are online right now, how many are locked, ect) but has stimulated lots of interest in the general public. Its even shown up in Yahoo Canada little news feed.
2. How can we fix this terrible abuse? Well, miracle of miracles, there is a NEW system just coming online that can not only fix this, but make it so much better. (How easy would it be to schedule the Make a Wish Kids 7 or 8 fast pass slots plus shows, parades and fireworks all before hand with this new system? How easy would it be to identify and block these disabled guides from doing what they are doing?) This system, when its fully in place can do exactly that.
3.Who owns the media that released the story? Are they affiliated with Disney? Why did it get picked up Nationwide, even internationally? Does Disney have an 'oar' in this? I think so.
4. How fortutous that this 'big' story was released when the news cycle has slowed down, Boston Marathon and Ohio Kidnapping stories are pretty much off the front page. I would bet good money this story would not break when it was going to get the backpage.
5. Timing is perfect for Disney, to announce their super new idea and way of doing things, and what a nice news story how they can really make a kids make a wish foundation dream really come true. (no sarcasm here- I think the GAC people who really need this will come up on top and that is great)
6. This article was written to inflame people. The title itself is enough to get the ball rolling. Using the word Rich' and then how the system is abused by 'rich' people. Yet some of the story is so questionable. I really think that rich people would be hiring the disney guides or private guides, its someone who is looking to save a few bucks and cheat the system that is hiring these disabled guides. I have heard quite a few interesting stories on how some of the movers and shakers do things at Disney. They are not generally looking for a bargain. The small world example also does not compute. The comments of the 'mom' are meant to set the 99% off - the tone the writer uses 'black market', posed, sniffed. Its so obvious, that the person in charge of the 'spinning' should get smacked in the back of the head.
I do believe this is an acutal business. I do believe that people actually use it. I also believe that Disney knew about this for a long time, and chose to use it to spin the news cycle at the most convienient time. I find it very hard to believe this is coincidental.
Edited to add: I just noticed that the disabled guide is such a hot topic in the dis, Cyrano has made a sticky about it in the theme park forums. I am sure its causing slightly less, but significant furour with the general public. Maybe the PR person should have his hand shaken by Iger.......