Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #1261
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post

PHX!

Welcome aboard! It's good to see you back in the Superthread (although it was a different Superthread the last time you joined in, I think).

Someone else just said in another thread that she hadn't yet received her Backstage Pass calendar/booklet either and she is a new AP holder. I wonder if there is any rhyme or reason to who gets the BP and in which order?

I must say that I was stunned to see that Disney had announced the Halloween season start date, the MHP start date and the holiday season start date in the same magazine! All at the same time! That is unprecedented! We all know how they take their sweet time in releasing info, and they never, ever, ever give holiday dates at the same time as Halloween dates. They usually don't even announce the Halloween season start date until after the MHP dates have been released! Is there someone new in charge of these things over there at Team Disney Anaheim, I wonder?

If Disney pays any attention to social media -- and some of their departments do exactly that -- then they would have learned by now that people want details and info early in the year!

Is your goal to try to be there on Mon., 9/30 when the MHP starts, or just be at DLR for the Halloween season, sans party? Either way, I hope you get to go!!
I GOT MY AP BOOKLET! At first when I got the mail I though I hadn't because I was looking for something magazine-sized. But when I sorted at home -- hard to miss Dumbo!!

I will probably try to do Disneyland on a weekday in the last two weeks of September, pending band dates that are slow in coming this spring -- tied into the school board and the budget. I don't plan on going to the MHP, so going during the slower time benefits. I'll fly over (airline miles) and stay with my parents. I'll see if I can talk my mother and her AP into going with me for a day.

I haven't been on this superthread the last couple years because it was too painful (and time-consuming) to read about everyone's awesome Halloween adventures. But now I get to dive back in!

... and I am also stunned that they announced so much early. Maybe they read this thread

PHXscuba
Old 05-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #1262
dnamertz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The party starts on September 30, as stated in the title of this thread and in the Backstage Pass magazine.
So, is Sep 30 officially the first Halloween party? If they were more popular last year, why aren't they starting them on the last Friday of Sep like they've done the last two years...or earlier? We will miss it if it's on Sep 30.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #1263
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
I GOT MY AP BOOKLET! At first when I got the mail I though I hadn't because I was looking for something magazine-sized. But when I sorted at home -- hard to miss Dumbo!!

I will probably try to do Disneyland on a weekday in the last two weeks of September, pending band dates that are slow in coming this spring -- tied into the school board and the budget. I don't plan on going to the MHP, so going during the slower time benefits. I'll fly over (airline miles) and stay with my parents. I'll see if I can talk my mother and her AP into going with me for a day.

I haven't been on this superthread the last couple years because it was too painful (and time-consuming) to read about everyone's awesome Halloween adventures. But now I get to dive back in!

... and I am also stunned that they announced so much early. Maybe they read this thread

PHXscuba
PHX -

Your mom looked like she had a great time with you all on your recent trip so I'm guessing she'd be up for a short Halloween visit.

You know, I don't know if anyone involved in DLR planning looks at this board -- although I tend to think they might from time to time because I have seen DISboards mentioned in surveys sent to me by DLR in relation to sites that could be used for planning -- but the Parks Blog folks are definitely aware of at least some activity on this board. That much I know. A couple of times they've even done blogs on things that seemed almost too conveniently timed in that the subject was just being discussed on the DIS a week or two prior (or one of the DIS Unplugged team had just done a blog on it) and it was something very specific! I felt like someone was reading a thread or blog on this board and getting ideas on what we were talking about and what types of things interested us, and voila! Up popped a Disney Parks Blog about that specific thing!

And, frankly, social media (I'm including forums like this one in that category) plays such a big role in people being able to voice their opinions about anything these days that DLR would be foolish to not have someone monitoring various sites from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnamertz View Post
So, is Sep 30 officially the first Halloween party? If they were more popular last year, why aren't they starting them on the last Friday of Sep like they've done the last two years...or earlier? We will miss it if it's on Sep 30.
dnamertz --

Yep. September 30 is the date printed in the Backstage Pass calendar/magazine as being the first night of the Halloween Party. And you know Disney would not reveal that info if they didn't know the dates for sure, because they are very secretive about releasing dates and things. I almost thought it was a mistake when I first read it!

To be honest, the actual date does not shock me -- I don't know if anyone recalls but the Halloween parties of a few years ago used to start in early October. It's the day of the week on which the party begins that is new and different. It's not like they haven't had parties on Mondays before -- they have had them on Mondays -- but to start a party on a Monday is unusual.

I don't know why they aren't starting the party earlier. I don't think Disney is looking at it like, "The party is really popular so let's start it even earlier in the month." If anything they could add more nights to the line-up, but the party always starts 2 weeks after the season start date. This time it's 2 weeks and 3 days after the season start date! There must be a method to their madness that only they understand!

You know, on 9/13 Disney is doing that Villains thing for the Limited Time Magic event. There is a dance party involved. I wonder if they decided to skip a 9/27 Halloween Party in favor of doing the Villains dance party on 9/13?? Maybe the Halloween budget would only allow for so much celebration!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 05-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #1264
dnamertz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
PHX -
There must be a method to their madness that only they understand!
Which is what bothers me the most about them not revealing schedules and ride closure info farther in advance. Many guests need to plan their vacations way in advance, so we have to go by what they do in previous years and hope they do things the same way this year.

Well, at least this means Fantasmic should be on for Sept 27.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:24 AM   #1265
JeffryK
Earning My Ears

So this automatically means that in the week before the 13th Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion will be closed right? And it will very likely be pretty crowded the 13th.
TDL:'09
Old 05-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #1266
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seobaina View Post
I was meaning for MNSSHP but thank you for all the info. I'm hoping it starts friday 27th sept cause otherwise we'll miss it. I assumed it started earlier, like wdw

Argh, that would suck if so cause we fly back on oct 1st from San Fran Hoping for a week earlier. x
seobaina -

Unfortunately, MHP at DLR never starts as early as MNNSHP at WDW. I think the holiday season dates for DLR differ from WDW too.

It looks like MNNSHP at WDW is starting on 9/10 this year, and ending on 11/1. A few years back we did have a "late" end to the Halloween Time season at DLR in that Halloween Time ended in early November (I can't recall which year it was without looking at some of my old maps but it was sometime in the last 5 or 6 years). I can't recall if Mickey's Halloween Party (or whichever name it had at that time) extended beyond 10/31. In any case, ever since then the season has had a hard end on 10/31, and the party's last night has been 10/31.

Well, right now it's not looking good for you that you'll be able to go to the MHP, but you never know. Unless Disney has 9/27 reserved for a private event or something like that, they could always decide to open that night up for a party.

Quote:
Which is what bothers me the most about them not revealing schedules and ride closure info farther in advance. Many guests need to plan their vacations way in advance, so we have to go by what they do in previous years and hope they do things the same way this year.

Well, at least this means Fantasmic should be on for Sept 27.
dnamertz -

Exactly. That's usually the only sort of 'map' we have to determine what could happen for the current seasons -- looking at the previous years. As I mentioned to PHXscuba above, I am actually stunned that Disney released the Halloween Time start date, the Halloween Party start date and the holiday season start date all at the same time. That is a full 6 months in advance of when the holiday season begins, which is unprecedented! Disney never lets us know the holiday dates this early on, even though you'd have to have the Backstage Pass magazine to see the dates as they weren't exactly announced in splashy fashion on the DLR website two days ago. (This also gets me thinking that DLR might have something new/different in the works for the holidays, hence the early date release, but I'll ponder that over in the Christmas thread.)

With any luck maybe DLR will add 9/27 into the party mix after all. I can't help but think that the 9/13 Villains "dance party" has something to do with the lack of a party on 9/27.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffryK View Post
So this automatically means that in the week before the 13th Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion will be closed right? And it will very likely be pretty crowded the 13th.
JeffryK -

As much as I would like to tell you no, it won't be crowded on 9/13, I think that -- at least in the afternoon and at night -- it will be crowded. Since this Villains/13th hour/dance party thing is taking place that day, and since it's a Friday, I think there will be a lot of people going to the parks to see it.

Haunted Mansion will close right around Labor Day -- the last couple of years it has closed before Labor Day -- for its Haunted Mansion Holiday makeover. It could possibly soft open a day early -- like maybe 9/12 -- but there's no guarantee of that.

I'm not sure when Space Mountain closes for the Ghost Galaxy overlay, but it probably will be closed for the better part of that week leading up to 9/13.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 05-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #1267
Cheshirecatty
DIS Veteran

Hi Sherry, I'm waiting with bated breath for more of your updates!

Thanks for the info!
Old 05-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #1268
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Here is a little "treat" for your Saturday afternoon viewing and listening enjoyment...

Because spooky snacks, ghoulish grub and monstrous munchies are such a popular part of the Halloween Time season, let's take a peek at 3 different blogs from 2012, which cover -- in devilish detail -- the various edible delights offered at Disneyland Resort in September and October...
and possibly in the afterlife as well.

"Halloween Time Treats at Disneyland: No Tricks Required!" -- by Nancy Johnson, Correspondent, DIS Unplugged, October 2, 2012

"Wicked Good Halloween Treats at Disneyland Resort" -- by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer, Disney Parks Blog, October 17, 2012

"Halloween Goodies at Disney Parks — What Are Your Favorites?" -- by AJ, The Disney Food Blog, October 15, 2012

And...listen in as I join the the DIS Unplugged Team in a podcast/call-in show from 2012 , where we dissect the Halloween season at DLR in general, covering everything from goodies and souvenirs to Mickey's Halloween Party, fireworks, decorations, etc., etc.

Halloween Time Podcast & Call-In Show (featuring the DIS Unplugged team - and me!!!) – 9/27/12

Old 05-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #1269
seobaina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
seobaina -

Unfortunately, MHP at DLR never starts as early as MNNSHP at WDW. I think the holiday season dates for DLR differ from WDW too.

It looks like MNNSHP at WDW is starting on 9/10 this year, and ending on 11/1. A few years back we did have a "late" end to the Halloween Time season at DLR in that Halloween Time ended in early November (I can't recall which year it was without looking at some of my old maps but it was sometime in the last 5 or 6 years). I can't recall if Mickey's Halloween Party (or whichever name it had at that time) extended beyond 10/31. In any case, ever since then the season has had a hard end on 10/31, and the party's last night has been 10/31.

Well, right now it's not looking good for you that you'll be able to go to the MHP, but you never know. Unless Disney has 9/27 reserved for a private event or something like that, they could always decide to open that night up for a party.
I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed for 27th Shame but I suppose if it's not on the park might be quieter? I can hope :D THanks for the info.

x
The views & opinions expressed on this post are mine & don't necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company!

WDW Offsite April 1992, WDW Offsite April 1995, DLC Offsite December 1996, DLC Offsite 26th March 2000, DLC Offsite 4th October 2002, WDW Pop Century April/May 2006, DLC Offsite 6-9th September 2007, DLRP Cheyenne 14-17th October 2007, WDW POFQ/AKL/CBR April/May 2008, DLC Sept 2009, WDW Pop Century April/May 2010, WDW Villa/POR/BCV April/May 2011, WDW Pop Century 7-9th October 2012, DLRP New York 29-31st January 2013, DLC Offsite 24-28th September 2013

Ariel
Old 05-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #1270
dnamertz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed for 27th Shame but I suppose if it's not on the park might be quieter? I can hope :D THanks for the info.

x
I was assuming the opposite. I was thinking one of the benefits during the party might be that the crowd would be smaller than a typical Friday night. From what people say, the lines for rides during the party are pretty light...the crowds are waiting in line to see characters and trick-or-treating.

During our last trip mid November, we were there Tues - Fri and the only really crowded time was the 2nd half of Friday (I assume because the local AP holders came in for Friday evening).
Old 05-19-2013, 02:28 AM   #1271
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshirecatty View Post
Hi Sherry, I'm waiting with bated breath for more of your updates!

Thanks for the info!
Hi, Cheshirecatty!

Welcome aboard! It's good to see you in this thread too (I know you have already popped in to the Christmas Superthread here and there).

Pinup Mommy was the first one to get here and break the news of the Halloween Time start date and Mickey's Halloween Party's start date. I can't take credit for the update. She and I are both in Los Angeles, and it sounds as though we received our Backstage Pass magazines on the same day. I was literally thumbing through mine and planning to head to this thread with the Halloween info within a half hour when I saw her post come through! For some reason I looked at the holiday season date in the BP magazine first, and then backtracked to September.

But I will certainly update if I hear anything before anyone else does. Otherwise, just as long as we get info rolling in, and party dates and prices and things like that, it doesn't matter who breaks the news in this thread -- just as long as we hear about it!

Quote:

x
seobaina -

True. If Disney decides not to have a party on 9/27 (and in the back of my mind I keep thinking that the 9/30 date in the magazine must be a misprint!), at least you won't have to deal with any of those overlap crowds, when the party guests and non-party guests are in the park at the same time for 3 hours before the party begins. That's a very busy time!

Quote:
I was assuming the opposite. I was thinking one of the benefits during the party might be that the crowd would be smaller than a typical Friday night. From what people say, the lines for rides during the party are pretty light...the crowds are waiting in line to see characters and trick-or-treating.

During our last trip mid November, we were there Tues - Fri and the only really crowded time was the 2nd half of Friday (I assume because the local AP holders came in for Friday evening).
dnamertz -

Correct -- the character lines can get crazy. There are also a lot of people waiting for the Cavalcade and for the fireworks. The treat station lines generally move pretty quickly and efficiently, even if they look long and ominous. Overall, the party is definitely more crowded than I would expect an exclusive hard ticket event to be, but it is manageable. There shouldn't be as many people in the park for the party as there would be on a non-party day because of the number of tickets sold.

Those 3 hours of overlap time before the party begins are very busy!

Old 05-19-2013, 03:11 AM   #1272
KatrinfromGermany
Earning My Ears

Villains dance party

Hi to all!

What is the villains event on 09/13? Does anybody know if you have to buy extra tickets for it?

We will be in Anaheim from 09/09 to 09/15, but will visit the parcs only on Tuesday, 10th, Wednesday, 11th, and on Friday, 13th. Will they close certain areas to prepare for Halloween and will it be totally crowded?

We will come all the way from Germany and will be a lit disappointed if anything is closed. On the other hand - Halloween in Disneyland sounds quite amazing (we don't celebrate it in Germany in such a big way).

Any tips and recommendations for me?
Thanks a lot!
Old 05-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #1273
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrinfromGermany View Post
Hi to all!

What is the villains event on 09/13? Does anybody know if you have to buy extra tickets for it?

We will be in Anaheim from 09/09 to 09/15, but will visit the parcs only on Tuesday, 10th, Wednesday, 11th, and on Friday, 13th. Will they close certain areas to prepare for Halloween and will it be totally crowded?

We will come all the way from Germany and will be a lit disappointed if anything is closed. On the other hand - Halloween in Disneyland sounds quite amazing (we don't celebrate it in Germany in such a big way).

Any tips and recommendations for me?
Thanks a lot!
Welcome, KatrinfromGermany! I'm glad you joined us!

I don't think we know too much about exactly what's happening on 9/13 just yet. The Villains event is part of the "Limited Time Magic" promo that's going on all year at Disneyland Resort. So far, as part of LTM, there were Valentine's Day events; there was a Lunar New Year celebration; there was a Mardi Gras celebration; there will be 4th of July/Independence Day events, etc. There's even an an upcoming Greece-influenced celebration! There have been quite a few other events popping up this year that have been interesting.

Unless I have missed something somewhere, I think that all we know so far about 9/13 is that Disneyland will be open until 1:00 a.m. (they're calling it the "13th hour" in celebration of Friday the 13th), and the Villains will host a "dance party."

I'm not sure what's going on in the daytime on 9/13 but I don't think there would be any kind of separate ticket needed for that. Only the dance party is in question as far as tickets.

Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain will be closed on your first couple of park days, up until 9/13, when they reopen in their Halloween versions (Haunted Mansion Holiday and Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy, respectively)!

I don't think the parks will be too crowded in the days leading up to 9/13 because a lot of people will go back to school after Labor Day is over. I think there will be an increase in crowds on 9/13 due to the Villains/13th Hour thing, but especially at night for the dance party.

California Adventure may or may not be in the Halloween spirit at all. For the last few years it has been almost totally stripped of Halloween fun, while the majority of the festivities are in Disneyland. Last year there were some "Frankenweenie" things in DCA, but I think that was just happening because the film opened in 2012. I am hoping things will change this year and we will see more Halloween fun in DCA too!

As for tips/recommendations -- if you look my post above on this page with the links to blogs about Halloween treats, you will find that I also included a link to a podcast/call-in show we did last year (the DIS Unplugged team and I) and in that show we give a lot of tips and recommendations that would be helpful for new Halloween Time visitors.

Otherwise, if you kind of skim through this thread (starting with the first page, which has a lot of info -- some of which needs to be updated but it still mostly applicable to Halloween Time in general), you'll get a lot of ideas about Halloween seasons past and what to expect. Always feel free to just jump in anytime you have a question and someone will answer it here!

Old 05-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #1274
L1l1y2
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post

PHXscuba
I am so sad to hear this. DH and I have been a AP holders now for a year...never not once have we gotten info in the mail! I didn't know I was supposed to too. I live in CO...maybe they think I am to far to recieve a booklet!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #1275
abent
Mouseketeer

I am wanting to visit the parks the week of Oct 14-17 and want to attend the party. Would I dare ASSUME that there will be one that week? I am hoping there is one early due to UEA starting later that week. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Closed Thread

Tags
decorations, halloween, halloween party, halloween time, haunted mansion holiday, mhp, mickey's halloween party, october, september, treats

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: