Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 12:59 AM   #496
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training
Makes a mean Monte Cristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Don't you love when a plan comes together? I always figure if I hae a hotel reserved the rest will all work out.

Yes! That is so true. Once I have the hotel, then I can make plans. Still missing our two nights in Santa Barbara. DH wants to just add two days on at the GCH. But I argue that 1) I've always wanted to stay in and see Santa Barbara and 2)I need a break after SF and before tackling Disney!
Past Trips: WDW: Feb 1997 BWI, June 2008 *Honeymoon!*, May 2010 OKW & POR *2-year anniversary*, May 2011 OKW/BWV *3-year anniversary*, October 2011 VWL & POP DLR: 1994, Thanksgiving 2003 Portofino Suites, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2005, Nov. 2006 Carousel Inn, May 2007 Fairfield Inn, May 2009 DH Bday Trip Marriott Suites Anaheim, May 2009 *1-year anniversary*, GCH Suite, June 2009 Worldmark, Sept 2009 PPH, December 2009 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, April 2010 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, January 2011 Staybridge, September 2011 Red Lion, June 2012 Hilton Anaheim *4-year anniversary (celebrated late), Oct 2012 Ayres Anaheim, May 2013 GCH *5-year anniversary*, Sept 2013 Red Lion, Nov 2013 (1 Day Trip) Red Lion, Dec 2013 *Club 33* Castle Inn DCL:October 2013 - HalloWonder (Halloween) Cruise - Wonder 7 Night Bahamas from Galveston
hurleysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #497
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

My Online Shopping Addiction & San Francisco Plans

It has been a busy week here at our house. And my week is super busy this next week too. All I can say is thank goodness for online shopping!

I have two pairs of shoes, a jacket for SF, some summer tops and shorts, new suitcase, travel accessories, and a neck pillow all coming this week. And I'm not done yet. I'm actually terrible at buying stuff for myself so sometimes and I just obsess over deals and coupons so it is hard when I know I need something (jacket and tennis shoes were very needed) and I cannot find a deal.

I have great news - ALL our hotels are booked! For Santa Barbara we have decided on the Hyatt Santa Barbara which is located right across the street from the beach. The pool overlooks the beach too. I am very excited to stay here and relax. We don't plan on doing much in Santa Barbara. In fact, during the one full day that we'll be there, I plan on sleeping in and laying on the beach and that is about it. Okay, that probably isn't true. That night, there will be a lot of walking around downtown, checking out unique shops, perhaps a little wine tasting, and a walk out on the pier. And of course, food. Our vacations are all about the food.

In San Francisco, our plans are finally coming together. We'll spend Saturday at the Disney Family Museum, checking out the Presidio area and enjoying the free parking there and the free shuttle around the museum area too. We'll see Golden Gate Bridge and check out the adjoining park area as well as Chrissy Field. We plan to eat lunch in that area too. Then we'll head across Golden Gate Bridge and checkout the beautiful scenery at the Marin Higlands and then onto Muir Woods on the other side and perhaps eat dinner in Sausilito or head back to the hotel and grab dinner at a quaint nearby place. (And LOL, there is a Taco Bell right down the block. ). Sunday morning we'll wake up and head to Fisherman's Wharf and while it will be very cold, we are hoping to enjoy the morning there since we've been told that is the best time to go. I'm also hoping to visit the Ferry Marketplace before heading to the Giants game at AT&T park. This will be the farthest we travel by public transit, so I'm a bit nervous. But DH is so excited for the game and that makes me happy. Thanks to people DH knows, our tickets are free. I don't know him personally, and he won't read this, but I still want to give him a shout out because he is AWESOME! Sunday night I imagine we might be tired. But I want to try and get dinner at Brenda's soul food cafe. It is #1 on Yelp for $$ restaurants in the area and the food looks great for a very reasonable price. On Monday, we might get a pass for the downtown hop on-hop off bus tour and check out the sites that we have missed so far - Union Square, Ghirardelli Square, Little Italy, Nob Hill, Chinatown, the Ferry Marketplace if we missed it Sunday. I'd like to spend the day shopping and eating on Monday.

The only thing that I don't know about is...SF MOMA. I would love to go and visit here. I don't think DH would like it and for the price, we could have a nice lunch somewhere...oh decisions decisions. The other place I would like to see is the Academy of Art University. I'm a graphic designer and if I ever got my masters, they are a school I would consider. Also, DH works at a college here in the athletic dept. and they are in the same division so he knows people there that we could contact and maybe just walk around, see the grounds, etc. I'm not at all even thinking about going there, I'm just sure it is amazing.

Even with three days we won't make it to Twin Peaks, either of the aquariums, the exploitorium or Alcatraz. Granted, we are the only people I've talked to who have no desire to do Alcatraz. Everyone says get tickets before they sell out, and DH and I look at each other...we don't have any interest in paying to visit jail - no matter how famous or creepy or historical. Eh, to each his own! I'm hoping, so much, that we can find time to do a bay cruise because I love water - but I don't want to feel like we're squeezing things in just to say we did them. Then I'll have WDW flashbacks...

Okay, that is quite an update for now. I'm off to search for more deals online. Oh...and work. That too.
Past Trips: WDW: Feb 1997 BWI, June 2008 *Honeymoon!*, May 2010 OKW & POR *2-year anniversary*, May 2011 OKW/BWV *3-year anniversary*, October 2011 VWL & POP DLR: 1994, Thanksgiving 2003 Portofino Suites, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2005, Nov. 2006 Carousel Inn, May 2007 Fairfield Inn, May 2009 DH Bday Trip Marriott Suites Anaheim, May 2009 *1-year anniversary*, GCH Suite, June 2009 Worldmark, Sept 2009 PPH, December 2009 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, April 2010 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, January 2011 Staybridge, September 2011 Red Lion, June 2012 Hilton Anaheim *4-year anniversary (celebrated late), Oct 2012 Ayres Anaheim, May 2013 GCH *5-year anniversary*, Sept 2013 Red Lion, Nov 2013 (1 Day Trip) Red Lion, Dec 2013 *Club 33* Castle Inn DCL:October 2013 - HalloWonder (Halloween) Cruise - Wonder 7 Night Bahamas from Galveston

Last edited by hurleysweety; 05-14-2013 at 01:47 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #498
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Hi,
You make me want to tuck myself into your suitcase and go to SF with you. You've planned a really great trip with a mix of activities. Can't wait to hear how it all shakes out.

TK
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #499
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

Quote:
Hi,
You make me want to tuck myself into your suitcase and go to SF with you. You've planned a really great trip with a mix of activities. Can't wait to hear how it all shakes out.

TK

Thanks for the compliments on planning. I know myself well enough that it is really just a basis from where we should start and that our actual plans might turn out differently! Also I would love to tuck people into my suitcase and take them with me - because that would mean I had actually decided on a suitcase and bought one. Yup, might want to get on that considering we leave in ONE WEEK!
Old 05-16-2013, 01:20 AM   #500
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

Tonight, I just had to report...

I officially became a member of D23!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #501
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleysweety View Post
Tonight, I just had to report...

I officially became a member of D23!
I like my D23 membership. I think you'll enjoy it too. I just got a nice package yesterday as a matter of fact.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:22 AM   #502
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

Quote:
I like my D23 membership. I think you'll enjoy it too. I just got a nice package yesterday as a matter of fact.
I can't wait to get my card! It says I'll have to wait 3-4 weeks so that means I'll be waiting til after I get back. I purchased it now because I want the $5 discount at the Disney museum in SF. Maybe I'll just print off my confirmation with the member number and they can take that? Hopefully!!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #503
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can't wait to get my card! It says I'll have to wait 3-4 weeks so that means I'll be waiting til after I get back. I purchased it now because I want the $5 discount at the Disney museum in SF. Maybe I'll just print off my confirmation with the member number and they can take that? Hopefully!!
Hi,
I'm pretty sure they'd take that. We have had a lot of fun collecting the D23 exclusive pins too at the parks
Old 05-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #504
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

Ocean, Cottages, and Castles?! - Driving down the Pacific Coast Highway

More Plans!

On Tuesday, we plan to wake up and get out of SF as I'm sure we'll be ready for a more relaxing vacation experience. I will also be super eager because we will be driving down the Pacific Coast Highway! (A little Mamas and Papas, anyone?)

She been hummin', thumbin'
Hitchin' and wishin'
For a good day
On Pacific Coast Highway

First stop on the highway, Monterey! I just want to step out, see the ocean and take a few pictures. Then we'll stop a few miles south in Carmel and see the pretty cottages and cute little town.

Next we hope back in the car and down to San Simeon because we can't drive by without seeing the Hearst Castle. I don't think we'll go on the tour, which is the only way to see the castle and also we will want to continue on our way pretty quickly. But since I have a dream to visit Scotland and Ireland one day (because if you visit one, why not visit the other?!), I can't pass up the chance to see a castle in person, ya know, one that wasn't fabricated by Disney!

After that we'll drive by Cambria and then end up in Morro Bay. At this point we'll only be about 100 miles from Santa Barbara. Also, the Pacific coast highway goes inland at this point...boring!

(Why yes, that is a Volcano in the background there...)

Then we arrive in Santa Barbara, check-in to the Hyatt and then find a nice place to eat downtown, where I've been assured that parking is easy to find.

Our Hotel

Downtown Santa Barbara

Wednesday I plan to sleep in, lounge by the pool or beach, then in the afternoon take a stroll through the downtown area, walk out on the pier and grab a bite to eat at a casual spot before heading back to our room and trying hard to relax despite the fact that we'll be in Disney the next day!

The best part of staying in Santa Barbara, besides its natural beauty, is that it is 2 hours from Disney - yup, only 2 hours to get there on Thursday morning! Two hours to get to the Mickey and Friends parking garage, park our car, take the tram, and get out APs! Then back to parking garage and over to GCH where we pull up to the lobby and we get to say, "Hi, we're checking in for three nights" and I try really hard to hold back tears because this, this is going to be the best way to end the best vacation ever.

How can you drive up and not become emotional??!

And then I'll try hard to not be disappointed that we are stuck in some room way far away from where we requested, probably not with a king either. I'll ask if there are upgrades available, and maybe there will be? But it is a weekend, so alas, don't want to get my hopes up. But it is our anniversary and we couldn't be more excited to spend it in Disneyland and I'll just be happy to be there. It has become the main theme of all our conversations for the past week. I can't imagine what this next week will bring in anticipation - we leave in less than a week to start our adventure!!!!!

Oh and one more thing, on Friday, the 31st, our actual anniversary I have arranged for a special surprise for my DH with some great help. I will reveal those details in the trip report, as I don't want to ruin the surprise at all. In fact, I don't plan to tell anyone (not family, not friends, no one!) and it is absolute torture to keep it all a secret!

I don't know if I'm more excited for the food, the attractions, or the hotel at Disney. But it is a GREAT problem to have.

That's all for now!

Old 05-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #505
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

Quote:
Hi,
I'm pretty sure they'd take that. We have had a lot of fun collecting the D23 exclusive pins too at the parks
I can't wait to be eligible for special merchandise. Like I need more stuff to buy...
Old 05-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #506
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can't wait to be eligible for special merchandise. Like I need more stuff to buy...
Yes, but this is EXCLUSIVE so it's better stuff At least that's what I tell myself.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #507
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

WE LEAVE IN FIVE DAYS!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #508
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
WE LEAVE IN FIVE DAYS!
Wahoo!!!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #509
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

Tonight I went and got to see one of my students perform in Aladdin. She is was great! The story was actually Aladdin Jr. and is geared towards kids so the it featured five narrators and the girl I know was a narrator and did a lot of singing and dancing - such beautiful voice. I also knew another girl who was a part of the ensemble and danced too. Also the genie was actually a girl and she was hilarious. Her voice was great. Some people are just made for the stage. And I'm totally biased, but the student I know could totally work for Disney someday.

It was a wonderful way to spend a weekend before our trip!

Left to right: Me, my co-leader of the sophomore girls, our student in the play, another student and also the daughter of the third sophomore leader on the left.

(In case anyone is wondering, I'm not a teacher. DH and I volunteer in our church's high school group and I have been since I finished high school, 9 years ago. I call them "my kids" or "my girls" and some of them that have graduated high school still come and visit me when they're home from college. You might hear about them in future trip reports someday I hope! Its been a dream to take them to DLR with me! )

Last edited by hurleysweety; 05-19-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #510
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

I need your help, readers!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....0#post48454380

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: