Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #2836
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
LOVE LOVE LOVE the facade of the Michael D Eisner building. Those dwarves holding up the roof are just great!

I really appreciate your pictures of the various buildings. It's nice to see the outside and gauge how the layout is.

Completely OT - Those water towers. This is something quite American. Is there a historic reason behind why there are water towers marking most towns or campuses?
The facade of the Michael D. Eisner Building is so amazing and it was nice to see it from tha tangle but later on during the tour, we got to go up closer which is even more amazing.

Thank you PiO. It is a big maze of so many buildings and streets at the WDS. Luckily there were maps around the studio to tell everyone where they are and where each different building, etc. around.

The WD Tower is so neat to look at. It is not operational anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwigirls View Post
Great photos! Love the ones of the fireworks and Main Street at night! Just gorgeous. Love the Studio tour too.
Thank you Kiwigirls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
Love the building with the dwarves. Did they happen to mention what is currently shooting in the Fantasia stage? Xander loves all the Disney shows. It would be cool if I could say that is where one of his shows is made. I am going to join D23 for sure. I think it is $75 for the magazine subscription membership or $35 without it. Do you get the magazine? Is it worth $10 an issue? If it is, I will probably do that one. Since you are the one who is finally getting me to join, I can list you as my referral if you pm me your last name. It needs the city you live in too, but I think you live in Sacramento, right?
Thank you Kim. The Michael D. Eisner Building is very nice to look at especially the seven dwarfs. When someone in our group asked Kim if something was happening at the Fantasia Stage, she told us that it was no being used during our tour. But she did say that they are planning on using the Fantasia Stage for an ABC television show. I'm glad that you are going to join D23. I have been a member since it started in 2009. Even though I haven't attended a lot of D23 events, it is a nice Disney magazine to read.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #2837
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

I'm really enjoying your studio tour pics and the little known facts you're sharing with us.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2013, 02:02 AM   #2838
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
Love the building with the dwarves. Did they happen to mention what is currently shooting in the Fantasia stage? Xander loves all the Disney shows. It would be cool if I could say that is where one of his shows is made. I am going to join D23 for sure. I think it is $75 for the magazine subscription membership or $35 without it. Do you get the magazine? Is it worth $10 an issue? If it is, I will probably do that one. Since you are the one who is finally getting me to join, I can list you as my referral if you pm me your last name. It needs the city you live in too, but I think you live in Sacramento, right?
The membership which includes the magazine is totally worth it. Fran and I both have memberships and we have one with the magazine and one without. In the beginning they didn't let members buy tickets for partners and we sweated it out for being whatever was the membership below sorcerers was at the last expo. We are sorcerers for this expo so I'm glad that we won't miss out on anything. You definitely want to be in on D23, but you should plan some weekends to come to Burbank and take advantage of the offerings at the studio.

I'm not sure if you read my report of the studio tour we did, it was awesome!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:06 AM   #2839
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
I'm really enjoying your studio tour pics and the little known facts you're sharing with us.
Thank you Angela. I am glad that you are enjoying the WDS tour pics. There was a lot of information that Kelly told everyone during the tour and it is hard to remember everything she had said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
The membership which includes the magazine is totally worth it. Fran and I both have memberships and we have one with the magazine and one without. In the beginning they didn't let members buy tickets for partners and we sweated it out for being whatever was the membership below sorcerers was at the last expo. We are sorcerers for this expo so I'm glad that we won't miss out on anything. You definitely want to be in on D23, but you should plan some weekends to come to Burbank and take advantage of the offerings at the studio.

I'm not sure if you read my report of the studio tour we did, it was awesome!
I agree with Alison that the membership with the magazines is well worth it even though it is a lot for 4 magazines a year and you have the opportunity to enjoy all the different Disney events around the country. The tour was well worth the $60 per person for 2 and half hours of going on the WDS and seeing and hearing all the great history of the WD company. I can't believe it took me 3 years to finally do the WDS tour.

The next post will be up shortly.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #2840
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 – May 4, 2013 – Part 3

On our last update, my DA and I were at the Walt Disney Studios during the D23 Day at the Walt Disney Studios and Archives. We just walked through the Shorts Building and passed by the Camera and Cutting Building. We also got to see the outside of Stage 1 Building or mostly known as the “Fantasia Stage”. This has been an exciting first part of the day at the WDS and learning about the history.

We just passed by Stage 1 and now heading on over to Stage 2 Building. Stage 2 is known as “The Julie Andrews Stage” where it was the stage that was used for the films “Mary Poppins” and “The Princess Diaries” which took place inside the soundstage. Stage 2 is the second oldest soundstage on the WDS lot. Kelly told everyone that Stage 2 was used for first productions of the Mickey Mouse Club.

Julie Andrews Stage 2 Plaque

Stage 2 Plaque during the 50th Anniversary of the WDS.

After we looked at Stage 2, we head on down on Third Ave right in between Stage 1 and Stage 2.

Now we were on Donald Avenue right next to Stage 3 and by the Sign/Paint Shop and the Lumber Building. Stage 3 was designed for the film 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

We didn’t go towards Stage 3 just yet, instead we were right next to the Walt Disney Production Building or the Digital Studio Center. It was just recently opened last year.

Down the road, we can see the ABC Studios Building right across the street.

Just after we were at the Walt Disney Studios Production Building, we walked down on Donald Ave to see the other buildings around the avenue.

While we were walking down on Donald Ave, We saw Stage 3 on the left hand side while on the right hand side were the Sign shop, Lumber Building as well as the Mill.

On the right hand side was the Zorro Parking Structure where we parked our car when we got to the WDS. We were originally suppose to park in the Buena Vista Parking Lot for the tour but we parked in the Zorro Parking Structure during the screening at the Theater.

Stage 3 door was open when we were walking down on Donald Ave. While we were walking down, mostly everyone in our group walked on over to Stage 3 and see what was going on. I didn’t get a picture of it while we were walking but I did get to see what was going on inside. Kelly told us that there wasn’t anything going on in Stage 3 and she was right since it was empty.

Stage 3 Plaque

Now heading on over towards the Mill

While we were right by the Mill Building, Kelly talked about the history of the Water Tower at WDS lot. The Water Tower does not carry water and she told us that it is barely shorter than the Matterhorn mountain at DL.

We were all right by the Mill while she was talking about the Water Tower.

Right across the street is the vending machines as well as more offices at the WDS lot.

Now we started to walk down and we passed by Building 95 which also has a map of the WDS

An actual map of the WDS lot

We walked down on Donald Ave and heading on over towards more different buildings which were not that interesting as the Stage buildings.

We passed by Building 74 which is the Technical Services and Facility Operations at the WDS

Now we were on right on Business Street where there Stage buildings set up on that street and she talked about that they used these scenes for different shows. She told us that they can be adjusted for the shows that needs these props.

After we left that area, we head on over to our next building which is one of the buildings that I am looking forward to seeing during the tour. But that will be another time since the pictures is at the maximum. So stay tune for the next update of what building we are about to go in next.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #2841
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Really loving this walking tour of WDS. Thanks for sharing.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #2842
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Bret -

I thought of you the other day because there was an updated version of that "Disneyland: Behind the Magic" (or whatever it's called) show on TV. It used to run on the Travel Channel in the old days, and then I think it was updated a wee bit a couple of years ago to include a little segment about some newer things.

However, the recent version that aired last week -- which was on Destination America instead of the Travel Channel -- was majorly revised to include a whole big chunk about the different lands in DCA and all the new stuff. I recorded it and will have to go back and watch it thoroughly, but it seemed like at least half of the show was devoted to DCA (all sorts of footage from Cars Land and Buena Vista Street) whereas in the original version there was hardly any DCA stuff.

That's what was happening when you were at DLR, and wondering what was being filmed! Back when you were mentioning the filming, I had a suspicion that it had something to do with one of those former Travel Channel shows being updated to include new footage, and that appears to be the case. In fact, there was a lot of filming going on when I did the first CL preview slot on June 9th (a CM asked me to move out of the way because I was blocking a camera guy's clear shot of Luigi's) and I think they incorporated some of that footage too, from what I can tell.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #2843
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Really loving this walking tour of WDS. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you PiO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Bret -

I thought of you the other day because there was an updated version of that "Disneyland: Behind the Magic" (or whatever it's called) show on TV. It used to run on the Travel Channel in the old days, and then I think it was updated a wee bit a couple of years ago to include a little segment about some newer things.

However, the recent version that aired last week -- which was on Destination America instead of the Travel Channel -- was majorly revised to include a whole big chunk about the different lands in DCA and all the new stuff. I recorded it and will have to go back and watch it thoroughly, but it seemed like at least half of the show was devoted to DCA (all sorts of footage from Cars Land and Buena Vista Street) whereas in the original version there was hardly any DCA stuff.

That's what was happening when you were at DLR, and wondering what was being filmed! Back when you were mentioning the filming, I had a suspicion that it had something to do with one of those former Travel Channel shows being updated to include new footage, and that appears to be the case. In fact, there was a lot of filming going on when I did the first CL preview slot on June 9th (a CM asked me to move out of the way because I was blocking a camera guy's clear shot of Luigi's) and I think they incorporated some of that footage too, from what I can tell.
So that what was shooting on the day during the AP preview last year. I still can't remember what they were filming that day and for what show. Now it is likely the Disneyland: Behind the Magic. I always thought it was the Disney company filming to promote the new lands at DCA. That would have been neat to watch Disneyland: Behind the Magic and see the updated show of the DLR. Thank you for informing me about the filming on that day and I will try to look for the video and watch it.

Thank you Sherry
Old 05-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #2844
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 – May 4, 2013 – Part 4

Day 2 – May 4, 2013 – Part 4

On our last update, we were walking around the WDS to see all the different buildings and stages. We got to see Stage 1, 2, & 3 where they have filmed classic shows and movies. Got to see the Water Tower up close where it was amazing. Now let's get back to the report.

We just left around Building 74 and now heading on over to the next building. On the way, we were seeing the Michael D. Eisner building and thought that this was the next building that we were going too.

The group didn't head on over to the Michael D. Eisner building. The building we were going to next was on our right hand side when we were walking down. It was the Frank G. Wells building. The Frank G. Wells building is home to the Walt Disney Archives, WD Television, Disney University, management offices, HR department and the multi-plane camera. We were right at the entrance while Kelly was talking about the life of Frank G. Wells as the former president of the WD Company.

While the group head on in the building, I had to get the front entrance before I went in.

The FGW sign had a speech from "Lincoln: Man of the People" by Edwin Markham. Also on the bottom of the sign "Humility is the Final Achievement" is a very interesting story that Kelly told us. She said that those words were from a fortune cookie that FGW carried with him in his wallet. So they put those words on the sign to dedicate the building to him.

We entered the FGW building and there was another group in the Disney Archives room. So we all waited in the lobby at the FGW building until it was time to head on in. While we were in the building, I went around to take as many pictures as possible.

The FGW building has a Starbucks in the building which is neat. I remember from Alison (franandaj) that she said that there was a Starbucks in the FGW building.

A couple of pictures right by the entrance to Starbucks

Now I looked at the display cases to see a lot of different models from past movies and shows. The Magic of Models and Miniatures

That's it for this post and I will have more from the Frank G Wells Building.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #2845
PrincessInOz
in

That's a lot of wonderful models in the foyer there. Looks like we could be in for a nice round of archival material next.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 05-18-2013, 01:14 AM   #2846
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 – May 4, 2013 – Part 5

Day 2 – May 4, 2013 – Part 5

On our last update, we were at the WDS in Burbank going through the Frank G Wells building. It was almost our time to go into the Disney Archives room and see all the historic artifacts of the Walt Disney Company. But first, we were out in the lobby looking at all the different display cases that had models and miniatures from different rides and shows.

After looking through the Magic of Models and Miniatures, I looked at the WD Archives case with Snow White toys, pictures, dolls, etc.

Down the hallway, I looked at the multi-plane camera that was used to for the movie Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

The Multiplane Camera plaque

Disney’s Multiplane Camera pictures right across from the actual multiplane camera

Everyone in the group is waiting to head in the Disney Archives room while another tour group is already in the room.

A look at the Disney Archives door where we will be going in shortly

Just about 10 minutes in the lobby, the other group that was in the Archives room came out and we were on our way to go inside the room.

But that will be told on the next update. So stay tune to see what is inside the Walt Disney Archives.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #2847
PrincessInOz
in

I love the picture sketch of the various Mickey 'looks' through the ages. It's interesting to see the changes.

Looking forward to the next update.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:13 AM   #2848
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Nice updates, it's cool to see what's in the archives.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #2849
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I love the picture sketch of the various Mickey 'looks' through the ages. It's interesting to see the changes.

Looking forward to the next update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Nice updates, it's cool to see what's in the archives.
Thank you PiO and Angela.

The next post will be up shortly.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #2850
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 – May 4, 2013 – Part 6

Day 2 – May 4, 2013 – Part 6

On our last update, our group was now in the Frank G Wells building and waiting to go into the Disney Archives room to see all the historic artifacts of the Walt Disney Company. While we were waiting, we were all wondering around the lobby seeing all the different pictures, toys models from the movie Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. We also got to see the multiplane camera that they used for the movie. Now it is our time to head on in towards the Disney Archives room and see the interesting things.

We just entered the Disney Archives room and it was so neat to go inside the room. When we entered the room, Dave Smith, Founder of the Walt Disney Archives was there for the tours that day and everyone was so excited to see him that day. He talked about the Archives and how it was started.

While he was talking, I took a few pictures of the room. I did get close up pictures later on while we were in the Disney Archives.

Dave Smith brought out the first item to show us that day and this was a very interesting item that he showed us. It is the Marriage Certificate of Elias and Flora Disney. This was a very interesting story that Dave told us that they have found this Marriage Certificate of Elias and Flora.

After Dave Smith talked about the Marriage Certificate, he showed us the Baptism Certificate of Walt Disney. The one’s that was in the Walt Disney Family Museum was a replica of the original on that Dave Smith showed us that day during the tour.

Next he showed us the first Disneyland guide book which was produced in 1955 and it had an interesting story. I believed Dave said that the book at that time cost about $0.50 back in 1955. He said that Walt made the guide book cheap back than was so the people could tell their family & friends about Disneyland. This was a great way to do free advertising of DL back then.

The next one was the Picture Souvenir Book of Disneyland in Natural Color which is the original back in 1955.

He showed us a ticket book from the Magic Kingdom in Florida which was neat

A Walt Disney World ticket book that had all the original rides back at the MK in 1971.

Next was the first ticket to EPCOT Center that he showed.

And lastly he brought an Oscar award so the people can hold it and take pictures with it. I didn’t take a picture of holding it since we have limited time to look around the Disney Archives.

After he was done talking, he was now starting to sign autographs of his book “Disney Trivia from the Vault Secrets Revealed and Questions Answered”. I forgot to say when we got to the WDS that I did purchase the book before the tour since I can get an autograph of Dave Smith that day.

The book shelves had a lot of Disney books as well as models and miniatures on top.

I looked at all the different items that Dave Smith showed us during his talk. There were a few of them that I didn’t take a picture of at the beginning since I was looking around the room. Here are some items that he had showed us and I got a close up picture of.

Marriage Certificate of Elias and Flora Disney

Certificate of Baptism of Walt Disney

An Invitational Press Preview Pass from opening day at DL and a post card to Flora Disney

A Parking Pass sticker for the premier of DL on July 17, 1955. There are a few of these stickers left today since most of them were stick on the windows of the cars and there are not too many of them today.

The Picture Souvenir Book of Disneyland in Natural Color

Disneyland Guide book

That is it for this post and I will have more from the Disney Archives during the D23 event.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: