Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #391
llouque
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
Ok, next sets of reflections and thoughts, this time on food and souvenirs. But mostly food.

I wanted to eat a Disneyland corn dog and try out Ghiradelli, but we ran out of time! They will go onto the "AP bucket list."

Thoughts on souvenirs and food from your trips? Am I being too harsh on any of these places?

PHXscuba
DH decided all he wanted was corndogs. We had the, for lunch and dinner for 2 days straight. While they were awesome, I had to finally say no more!!

They are fresh, hand-battered and delicious......but I had my fill.
llouque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #392
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

White Water Snacks is always a must do for us. Especially my daughter Kody, she loves the nachos. I think that it is a quiet place to sit and relax. When my best friend and I went we ate breakfast there and it was good. I like the breakfast at the Riverbelle Terrace, the potatoes are great. We had the corn dogs at the Red Cart. I found that I like them much better if I wrap them in napkins a few times before I eat them to get rid of the excess grease from them.

Souvenirs are such a subjective thing. I always love the antennae toppers and the pressed pennies. My mother always has to get pins and pens. My DH and kids always need hats. I really have enjoyed your trip and look forward to the future trips.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #393
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llouque View Post
DH decided all he wanted was corndogs. We had the, for lunch and dinner for 2 days straight. While they were awesome, I had to finally say no more!!

They are fresh, hand-battered and delicious......but I had my fill.
Ooooo ... too much corndog! I think I would be in a different line if he wanted that many! I really thought we'd end up at Corn Dog Castle or the Red Wagon cart, but just weren't in those areas at mealtimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
White Water Snacks is always a must do for us. Especially my daughter Kody, she loves the nachos. I think that it is a quiet place to sit and relax. When my best friend and I went we ate breakfast there and it was good. I like the breakfast at the Riverbelle Terrace, the potatoes are great. We had the corn dogs at the Red Cart. I found that I like them much better if I wrap them in napkins a few times before I eat them to get rid of the excess grease from them.

Souvenirs are such a subjective thing. I always love the antennae toppers and the pressed pennies. My mother always has to get pins and pens. My DH and kids always need hats. I really have enjoyed your trip and look forward to the future trips.
Good tip on de-greasing the corn dogs! I love crispy fried foods but hate the grease that can accompany them!

My older DS has collected pressed pennies for years. Best cheap souvenir ever, and available everywhere. True story: I saw a pressed penny machine in a night street market in Beijing a couple years ago!

The three younger kids and I took lanyards with pins to trade but DD10 and I were the only ones who really got into it this trip.

I am not sure how much trip report material will come from future one-day trips, but I may just add them on to this thread.

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #394
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Reflections on apps, FP enforcement

So I am boring and stuck home on a Friday night. Of course I was barely home all day! Both daughters are out with friends, DS16 is home sick from work and DS8 is around here somewhere. DH is asleep watching the news.

Apps:

I was a Touring Plans subscriber for our WDW trip and found the website useful, and used the app while in the parks. I think more people use it there so it has better data. I signed up for the DLR version of Touring Plans because I was OCD enough to want everything I could get. It was semi-useful in planning, although I had a general plan laid out only to have it foiled a few weeks ahead of time by FP enforcement. By that time it wasn't worth crunching more numbers.

In the park, the app was basically useless. For example, an hour after opening it said Toy Story Mania should have a 10 minute line. When in history has that ever happened? The line was obviously easily 45 minutes long. They also only have 2 pre-made plans for DCA and a few more for DL, and nothing if you want to parkhop. While the subscription was cheap, I didn't get much out of it. Thumbs down.

What I did use: the official Mobile Magic app. It was nice to check wait times and FP return times from across the park before hiking all over. Also, I have the MouseTrivia app on my phone, and the kids killed time with it in line together a couple times.

FP enforcement:

Yes, I know "late FP return" was always an unwritten perk that could be dropped at any time. Yes, I know using them late screws up the system. Hi; my name is PHXscuba and I am a recovering FP hoarding addict.

I think it was partly that FP enforcement happened so close to our trip that I hadn't really thought through how it would affect our touring. While we used every last FP we collected, it was sometimes only by crossing the entire park (i'm looking at you, Splash and Space). We definitely crossed the park more times than I ever have to make it back for a FP return time.

I don't think it would be so bad at a slower time, where you could enter an area, pull a FP, and then kill an hour riding the smaller rides or eating. But the FP times were usually about 2-3 hours out -- too much time to spend in Tomorrowland, but not enough time to be back near there by the return time.

It drove my time-OCD DS crazy when we would be into a return time and we weren't heading back to the ride yet. It was definitely more stressful: eat quicker at Carnation Cafe or miss riding Indiana Jones again?

I guess this policy puts me back with the masses trying to figure out and use FP; I just miss having that advantage. Thumbs (pouting) down.

PHXscuba
Old 05-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #395
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Whitewater Snacks is one of my family's favorites. We ate their nachos 3x on our last 5 days trip.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #396
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Whitewater Snacks is one of my family's favorites. We ate their nachos 3x on our last 5 days trip.
There are definitely Disney foods that seem to beg to be eaten multiple times! I think my "to eat" list might be longer than my "to ride" list.

PHXscuba
Old 05-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #397
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
Ooooo ... too much corndog! I think I would be in a different line if he wanted that many! I really thought we'd end up at Corn Dog Castle or the Red Wagon cart, but just weren't in those areas at mealtimes.

Good tip on de-greasing the corn dogs! I love crispy fried foods but hate the grease that can accompany them!

My older DS has collected pressed pennies for years. Best cheap souvenir ever, and available everywhere. True story: I saw a pressed penny machine in a night street market in Beijing a couple years ago!

The three younger kids and I took lanyards with pins to trade but DD10 and I were the only ones who really got into it this trip.

I am not sure how much trip report material will come from future one-day trips, but I may just add them on to this thread.

PHXscuba
Yes! You should add them to this trip report. You have 250 pages, you should use them all up.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #398
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Tomorrow, in the Land

Tomorrow, in the Land (looking ahead)

Now that I have an AP burning a hole in my pocket, I am trying to figure out how to get back to use it!

The goals:

1. One visit the latter half of September, as a birthday gift to myself! Will probably fly over using frequent flier miles and stay with my parents (solves hotel and car issues/price). Would probably get my mother (who has her AP) to spend a day with me at DLR.

2. One visit sometime during Christmas season. Going the first weekend in November is looking less likely -- I finally tracked down a copy of the football schedule and it will most likely be Homecoming weekend plus one of the big band competitions. Even if DH goes for a continuing ed course in Irvine, it would be a hard weekend for me to leave town. But later in November or into December is much more probable, just don't know if it would be a solo trip or if I can talk anyone into going with me. I'm OK with being solo at DL, it's more the drive over.

3. One visit after the first of the year with my best friend. She is planning to get family APs sometime in December and we have already agreed to go once while both our APs are in effect.

There is a lot going on this fall and I have one more weekend business trip out of town the first week of October, so I am trying to narrow down the variables on when I can go. But if it all works, I should be able to see the parks decorated for Halloween and Christmas as well as do a lot during some less busy times -- weekdays or after the first of the year.

Next up: The Bucket List you've all been waiting for!

PHXscuba
Old 05-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #399
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

MY AP BUCKET LIST

It seems impossible that I would come back from 4 days at Disneyland having missed doing/seeing/eating so much, but it was busy and I was sometimes deferring to the large part of the family who wanted just one more ride on Space Mountain or the like. We managed to do quite a few things that were new or new to us, but every time you go back there is more that is new! Great problem to have ...

Obviuously some of this is season-dependent, but here's what I'm hoping to do before my AP runs out next March. If I plan it right, I should have 2 or 3 trips to do it. I probably won't buy tickets to the Halloween party or the (probable) Christmas party, so I may miss some seasonal entertainment.

Attractions I want to do:
Big Thunder Mountain (when it reopens)
Grizzly River Run (when it's warm)
take an Animation drawing class
Ride RSR in the dark
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
Ride the monorail in front
Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy
Haunted Mansion Holiday
It's a Small World Holiday

Things I hope to see:
Soundsational (the whole thing this time)
Mickey and the Magical Map (just opened)
Walk around Princess Fantasy Faire and see a show
Instant Concert with Goofy
Mad T party (on a weekend)
See the Carsland lighting
See the DLH renovated lobby and map
Find the Eeyore sign in Indy queue

Things/place I want to eat:
Flo’s V-8 Café (another try)
Hungry Bear café fried green tomato sandwich
Corn dog
Churro (can't believe I missed this)
Trolley Treats
Ghirardelli

Barring any of this being closed or ending before I go back, I think it's a very possible checklist. Anything I should add to it?

PHXscuba

p.s. Next person to post makes this thread have an even 400 posts!
Old 05-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #400
Lynne G
DIS Veteran

Ok, I will try to do some of your list when I go. Hoping it will be really hot. We love getting wet on the Grizzy ride.

Why try Flo's again? Hmm, was thinking of trying it for dinner one night. Going to try CC, as I hope my kids will appreciate it. They are good eaters though.

Ever ate at the Plaza for breakfast? Thinking of doing it, but DD is not a great morning eater. I thought I heard can do a 10:30 and that may work. Need to investigate.

Thanks for the list, and have a great week-end!

Lynne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #401
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

I don't know that my "AP Bucket List" is a definitive list of things that should be done at Disneyland -- there are a lot of things I love that aren't on that list, but I got to do them in March already. I'm sure I will still ride Star Tours, eat a Tigger Tail, see the fireworks, etc. The list is more focused on things I didn't get to last trip, or have never done, or could only justify doing if I were there solo or at least with just grown-ups.

If you remember in my TR, I ate at Flo's when I wasn't feeling too well and just had a kids meal. The food did look really good and I'd like to try a real meal on a future trip!

The Plaza for breakfast is a character meal and I am trying to get away from them given the price -- and my family are not big breakfast eaters either. I have heard that the Minnie and Friends Breakfast has a ton of characters!

PHXscuba

p.s. Thanks to Lynne for my 400th TR post!! Although I think I made about half of the posts, it's still an accomplishment for my first ever TR!
Old 05-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #402
kaoden39
Hugs

I am not fond of the character breakfasts either. To me the cost isn't really worth it. If I want to eat breakfast in the park I am more apt to want to eat at the Carnation Cafe or the Riverbelle Terrace. They both have great breakfasts at a much cheaper price.

I think that having a bucket or a wish list is fun. It is a great way to build excitement towards a trip.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #403
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I am not fond of the character breakfasts either. To me the cost isn't really worth it. If I want to eat breakfast in the park I am more apt to want to eat at the Carnation Cafe or the Riverbelle Terrace. They both have great breakfasts at a much cheaper price.

I think that having a bucket or a wish list is fun. It is a great way to build excitement towards a trip.
... and I am definitely the list-maker type. If I don't have a few things mapped out they don't happen. I let myself get distracted during the last trip and missed the day that the Voices of Liberty were out. I loved them at WDW and now they have gone back and I won't get to see them at DLR. Some things only happen at certain times or on certain days, especially during the off season or at holiday times.

I might add a couple characters to my list. My family isn't big on waiting in a lot of lines for them, but I might if it's just me, just for fun!

PHXscuba
Old 05-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #404
kaoden39
Hugs

Characters are so much fun! I know what you mean about having lists so you don't forget things. The last time we were there the lists stayed in the bottom of my purse. There were so many things that we didn't do. One thing we did do was the Lily Belle and I am so glad we did.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #405
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Ooo! I am going to put the Lily Belle on my list. It might not happen, but I won't think to look for it or ask unless I write it down.

Maybe I will try to meet some villains if I go at Halloween time. They are always so much fun. I'd love to chat with Cruella de Ville!

PHXscuba

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: