Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
buzzntink2
Earning My Ears

St. Maarten

Hi all. We have some concerns about the beach in St. Maarten and the topless/nude sun worshipers. Of course everyone here on our beaches at home in our state are all wearing bathing suits. We're worried about our tweens/teens and the over exposure. I know this might not bother some, but for us, it's not common in our lives. Any family friendly beaches that anyone knows of? Or are all of the beaches topless and/or bathing suit optional? Thanks.
buzzntink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzntink2
Hi all. We have some concerns about the beach in St. Maarten and the topless/nude sun worshipers. Of course everyone here on our beaches at home in our state are all wearing bathing suits. We're worried about our tweens/teens and the over exposure. I know this might not bother some, but for us, it's not common in our lives. Any family friendly beaches that anyone knows of? Or are all of the beaches topless and/or bathing suit optional? Thanks.
The public beach close to port (enuf to walk), we were there in the afternoon. No volleyball?! Lame! Anyway we did joke about the thong one chick was wearing but we did not see any topless there. Although it was like Newport Beach or something, over crowded etc. I wouldn't have been happy to spend my while day there but we did the coastal scenic hike first that morn and then waded thru a gorgeous natural beach called Guana. So the public beach was like the remainder of the day so anything after that was a bonus. I didn't really care to get in the water there with all the bodies (altho not dirty or trash floating or anything) so I just hung out at the restaurant across the street under an umbrella...
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
sdjen
DIS Veteran

I would suggest Le Galion Beach. Close to Orient but a lot more family friendly. There is a nice beach cafe and you can rent chairs and umbrellas also.

Have fun!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
calmpets
DIS Veteran

If memory serves, I thought the dutch side required swimsuits and the french side was mostly topless.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
caribbeandreaming
Mouseketeer

We were just there last week... we did a tour w/ Bernard's which stopped at both Orient and Maho Beach. One part of Orient is the nude beach but we didn't get dropped off nor see that part. There was no nudity at Maho - it's a small beach but it is the one right by the airport and you can watch planes takeoff and land all day. I think you will be fine at most any beach if you just make sure your taxi driver knows you don't want to encounter any nudity.
caribbeandreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #6
owensjro
DIS Veteran

Any beach on the French side will be "European Style" which means females can be topless. The one section of Orient Beach is also clothing optional and yes, some do like to wander down further than they are supposed to. From what I found the Dutch side is not, but I have also seen many reports indicating this is not enforced.

With the changes to the Dutch side in 2010 I am not sure how that affected any of this type of enforcement. I did some quick searches and didn't find anything to indicate topless enforcement was more or less strict than before.

When we went with our daughter we simply didn't make a big deal of it. She wasn't quite a tween at that point though.

Jim
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 1/17/09
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 12/19/09
Disney Wonder B2B 5N KeyWest/5N DoubleDip - 6/8/10, 6/13/10
Disney Magic 14N TransAtlantic - 5/14/11
Disney Fantasy B2B 7N Eastern/Western - 6/29/13, 7/6/13
Disney Magic 12N Northern Europe - 7/22/15
owensjro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #7
scrapycruiser
DIS Veteran

I'd vote for Maho Beach. Pretty white sand, chairs & umbrellas, open air casual restaurant on the beach. Planes fly over, pretty low. But it's actually cool to see them. No topless at Maho.
Beware....even if you go to a section of the beach at Orient that's not topless, you'll still see topless and sometimes bottomless men and women walking the beach !!!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

We stopped at Orient Beach a couple of years ago and didn't find it to be an issue. Most of the nude sunbathers stayed far enough away from the dividing line and when they did venture over for a walk they covered themselves. We had 3 kids under 10 with us and they didn't notice a thing.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
ranidayz
DIS Veteran is a....... Caribbean Amphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzntink2 View Post
I wouldn't worry about your teens seeing anything they find attractive. The 'European' beach is all the way at the end AND it will probably traumatized them from ever visiting a beach like that again.
ranidayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
Tami0220
Chip & Dale Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad
We stopped at Orient Beach a couple of years ago and didn't find it to be an issue. Most of the nude sunbathers stayed far enough away from the dividing line and when they did venture over for a walk they covered themselves. We had 3 kids under 10 with us and they didn't notice a thing.
I did a check on the bar that is on Maho beach. And while I don't think it is rampant they do have signs and pics of their policy that topless girls drink free at the bar. That is the actual bar and not the tables. So be aware that there can be nudity at Maho too

Tami & Mike
Tami0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tami0220 View Post
I did a check on the bar that is on Maho beach. And while I don't think it is rampant they do have signs and pics of their policy that topless girls drink free at the bar. That is the actual bar and not the tables. So be aware that there can be nudity at Maho too

We never saw any nudity at Maho beach at all.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
owensjro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
We never saw any nudity at Maho beach at all.
I think the point is that you could potentially see european style at any beach on either side of the island. I'm sure some beaches are less likely than others but it is still possible.

Jim
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 1/17/09
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 12/19/09
Disney Wonder B2B 5N KeyWest/5N DoubleDip - 6/8/10, 6/13/10
Disney Magic 14N TransAtlantic - 5/14/11
Disney Fantasy B2B 7N Eastern/Western - 6/29/13, 7/6/13
Disney Magic 12N Northern Europe - 7/22/15
owensjro is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: