Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
special ed teacher
all kids can learn

diabetes

I have taken my son who is now a teen to Disney many times in the last 10 years. We would go during cooler weather times due to his diabetes. Now that he is a teen, and school won't allow him days off, we are going during the summer. He has a lot of trouble with blood sugars changing in temps that change from hot to cold etc. This can lead from highs and lows that take time to adjust prior to riding many rides. Here's my question. When we are in line, and his sugars change, and he needs to step over or out to adjust his sugars, how do we keep our place in line? Sometimes it takes a few minutes to help it, but other times it might take 15 minutes. People 10 minutes behind in line will probably not appreciate us stepping back into line when he is capable again to ride etc. He is a teen and also very private. He wants to be like other people, and follow the rules of the others. I am just a bit worried on what we will do.
special ed teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special ed teacher View Post
I have taken my son who is now a teen to Disney many times in the last 10 years. We would go during cooler weather times due to his diabetes. Now that he is a teen, and school won't allow him days off, we are going during the summer. He has a lot of trouble with blood sugars changing in temps that change from hot to cold etc. This can lead from highs and lows that take time to adjust prior to riding many rides. Here's my question. When we are in line, and his sugars change, and he needs to step over or out to adjust his sugars, how do we keep our place in line? Sometimes it takes a few minutes to help it, but other times it might take 15 minutes. People 10 minutes behind in line will probably not appreciate us stepping back into line when he is capable again to ride etc. He is a teen and also very private. He wants to be like other people, and follow the rules of the others. I am just a bit worried on what we will do.
Why get out of line? Honestly, we use the slow time waiting in line to deal with it. It's a perfect amount of down time to treat and deal with lows with no activity happening. We've had a few instances where we get to the boarding part of the line and BGs have been too low to feel like we could safely get on the ride, so we simply tell the CM what's happening and they have given us a return FP slip thing. Otherwise, most rides are so short that there would really be no reason to stay off the ride even with a marginally low BG. Plus, your son is a teen, he can safely be allowed to carry his own glucose tabs and munch on them during the ride.

I wouldn't sweat this one at all. Don't over think it.
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2013, 03:51 AM   #3
Sophiesmom
Earning My Ears

Agree with previous poster - unless you are dealing with a sudden, severe low-- treat while in line. You could always make a point of having him check his blood sugar prior to getting in a super long line and see where he is at. I have had Type 1 diabetes for 31 years and my 14 y/o daughter was diagnosed 2 years ago. We have successfully navigated many trips (including a mother / daughter solo trip last Fall) - just always make a point to have plenty of whatever you use to treat a low with you at all times. Hope you have a great time!
Sophiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:55 AM   #4
Sophiesmom
Earning My Ears

Another thought - I do not tolerate the heat very well, so we make a point to avoid the hottest part of the afternoon in the parks. We have a tendency to go in the evening, and always make use of evening EMH. But, mornings work well too!
Sophiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You could always make a point of having him check his blood sugar prior to getting in a super long line and see where he is at.
This is what I do whenever possible, too.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
DumboDash2006
Mouseketeer

I agree. Treat in line. Obviously a severe problem you have to step out but I agree about telling a cast member.

My dd (13) checks and treats wherever she happens to be. One time several years ago, she shocked me by pulling out her meter and setting it on the checkout lane at home depot and checked right there. She said she felt low (she was) and didn't want to wait lol. She's also checked in the aisles of Walmart/Target etc. Once when she felt pretty woozy she sat right down in the paper goods aisle to wait it out. I just stood there and compared paper towel prices as she scarfed Skittles.

Seriously it will be fine, just check and treat wherever you are.

Offsite 1982
Offsite 1986
Contemporary Resort 1987
Offsite 1996
Caribbean Beach Resort 2006
Windsor Hills June 2014
DumboDash2006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: