Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
spidet1964
Mouseketeer

nervous flier

Im a large woman 22-24. Flying Sputhwest. Will i fit in the seat.

]
spidet1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

I think this thread would be better suited to your question. http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2424021
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
ibcrazie4dizney
Mouseketeer

I think you will be ok. don't know how the plane is situated with seating, but just try not to get stuck between two people. maybe choose and aisle or window seat. I have never flown southwest, but my daughter who wears same size as you has and she said she was fine, even with her plus size friend next to her. and if the seatbelt wont fit, you can ask flight attendant for an extender. when they are coming around, you can just motion to them and they will know what you need, so it isn't too embarrassing. I am bigger than you, so I always worry and stress. I have found that I now always book AirTran and when I purchase my flight, I immediately upgrade to big front seats. they are perfect roomy and you aren't paying for all the perks that you don't need. I just booked our aug flight and for the big front seat, it was only $40 extra. I don't mind paying the extra to know I will be ok. I have also flown on us air, but for me and dh to Jamaica, it was an additional $1300! Yuck! but that did come with all the extras, even though I really just need the room. try not to stress, you'll be fine. maybe make sure you are there to board in the beginning.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidet1964 View Post
The seats on Southwest are 17 inches wide. Can you fit in this space? Remember, you have to fit with the arm rests down.

http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...index-pol.html
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
queenofmykingdom
Earning My Ears

I just flew JetBlue a week ago. I'm a size 24 pants. Had no issues with the seatbelt or putting the armrests down. I don't imagine the seat is THAT much wider than southwest. I always get nervous about that...
ME
DH
DS1 DS2 DS3
queenofmykingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
PrincessSarah314
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidet1964 View Post
You should fit fine. Southwest did recently change their policy however and if you ask at the gate for an extra seat due to your size, it will be provided free of charge.

My BF and I love it! I get the aisle, he gets the window, and no one is in between us! Plus I can lift the armrests and scoot over and snuggle onto his shoulder to sleep lol

We fly Southwest all the time and I am a size 26/28. I have only been made to purchase an extra seat once, last June. It was very embarrassing, and the staff member was very rude. She told me that if I wanted to see a copy of the Customer of Size policy she wouldn't let me onto my flight! Needless to say we purchased the seat, and when we landed we called the 1-800-I-FLY-SWA line and filed a complaint. They comped me an extra seat on the flight home (at the time you still had to pay for them), refunded the cost of the extra seat on the flight there, and gave us $150 in credit that we are using towards our flight in 3 weeks.

I am VERY GLAD that they changed their policy, and look forward to my FREE extra seat this time around!!
Old 05-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSarah314 View Post
You should fit fine. Southwest did recently change their policy however and if you ask at the gate for an extra seat due to your size, it will be provided free of charge.

My BF and I love it! I get the aisle, he gets the window, and no one is in between us! Plus I can lift the armrests and scoot over and snuggle onto his shoulder to sleep lol

We fly Southwest all the time and I am a size 26/28. I have only been made to purchase an extra seat once, last June. It was very embarrassing, and the staff member was very rude. She told me that if I wanted to see a copy of the Customer of Size policy she wouldn't let me onto my flight! Needless to say we purchased the seat, and when we landed we called the 1-800-I-FLY-SWA line and filed a complaint. They comped me an extra seat on the flight home (at the time you still had to pay for them), refunded the cost of the extra seat on the flight there, and gave us $150 in credit that we are using towards our flight in 3 weeks.

I am VERY GLAD that they changed their policy, and look forward to my FREE extra seat this time around!!

But what if the flight is sold out?
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
EMAW_KSU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSarah314 View Post
Who gets bumped first on a full flight?
EMAW_KSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
SteveMouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAW_KSU View Post

Southwest outlines their policy on their website. As I recall, there is a way of making a reservation for the second seat and then receiving a full refund.
SteveMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAW_KSU View Post
Nobody gets bumped. If you haven't purchased a 2nd seat and the plane is full and if you cannot fit into a standard seat then YOU do not fly. No one gets bumped.

If you need the extra room then purchase the 2nd seat.
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: