Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Justplainmk
Earning My Ears

Walt Disney World Photography 101

Alright I have already asked like a million questions and it singly my first day but here is the big one. I am hoping to get as much advice as I can on photography at Disney World. This is my first time going in a few years and my first time going with my t3i, and I am very excited to get snapping!! I would love any and all advice on taking pictures at Walt Disney World. Good places, interesting angles, off the beaten paths, lens, settings, whatever you have to offer I am willing to learn!! Actual pictures especially would be awesome to see as well!!
Justplainmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

My first suggestion would be to find some shots on Flickr.com and decide what it is you like about the. (Many shots here on the DIS are posted from Flickr and when you click on the shot it will take you to that site). I like that site because in most cases you can see the EXIF information from the shot. It doesn't mean that in all cases those were the best choices, but after a while you'll start to see some trends as to what the best settings are. For example, many good fireworks shots are 5 seconds or longer (in some cases much longer) so I can tell they must have used a tripod.

Sometimes you see some blur (not on purpose) and if you can look at the shutter speed you know you'll want yours faster. If you see one with a nice artistic blur (like Dumbo moving) you can check the shutter speed to see what you want to replicate.

You can maybe see an artistically composed shot and tell that they got down low to the ground with something in the foreground but used an ultra wide angle lens.

In some cases, they did it with equipment you might not have available to you. But in many cases you can find a way to do something similar.

There's a lot to learn that way. And it's fun.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
klmall
DIS Veteran

First of all, congrats on going back to WDW! Your T3i should help you get some good photos even if you leave it set to "P"!

Second, think about some shots you definitely want to capture and how they will fit into your touring plans. I know for me that means I sometimes get up and go into the parks far earlier than my family and meet them for a meal etc. This frees me up to wander around and get extra pictures etc. without them being annoyed by my stops to shoot. It may also mean going back into the parks late in the evening to get those wonderful night shots if you can after little ones go to bed......

Third, keep your camera out and ready to catch those characters who pop out of side doors or suddenly turn in your direction. This may also mean switching out the standard Canon strap for a comfortable one that doesn't catch on your neck and doesn't make you want to throw your camera back into your bag after one hour. Many here on the DIS like the Crumpler Industry Disgrace strap and the Black Rapid straps but it is truly a personal preference kind of thing.

Always carry an extra battery and memory cards and a lens cleaning cloth. I somehow manage to smudge my lenses far more at DW than anywhere else I go. And make sure you like carrying that camera bag for a few hours each hot day as well! So often those neat "sling" style camera bags end up bothering your shoulder or that bag strap loosens or chafes your arm in a sleeveless shirt; so check it all out on a dry run trip if you haven't done so yet (e.g. zoo or hike).

As for picture spot ideas there are many threads here on the DIS where people have posted their pictures from each park. I always get some fantastic ideas from what other people post and I'm sure you will also!

And share some of your pictures after you come back!

(advice from a T4i and Powershot 12 owner)

~~~~~~~~~Bay Lake Tower, December 2014 !~~~~~~~~~
klmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
ThurlFan
Grim Ghost

Glad you have joined us here, kick off your shoes and set your bag down in the corner!

Have you visited the welcome thread (linky) pinned at the top of the photography board? Lots of great links there, such as this one: Disney Photography Tips

Feel free of course to ask any questions as you think of them, but you might find the welcome thread to be an efficient way to track down info.
ThurlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

My advice is don't get so tied up in making a great photograph that you miss out on your vacation. It's very easy to live life through the viewfinder. When you do you can easily miss the best parts.

And as said already get a comfy strap. You can't use the camera if it's in the bag. Keep it out and on you as much as possible. I'm one of the Crumpler Industry Disgrace fans. I love that strap.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Justplainmk
Earning My Ears

I was actually thinking about getting rid of the strap entirely because I am going to June and I think it would be to hot to carry it around my neck all day. Ad that way I can just stick it in my bag and it takes up a little less room.

And yes I have been checking out Flickr and Instagram and all those things, and I especially like the advice of going there early. I am there to have a good time and enjoy myself but I am also really looking forward to putting my photography skills to the test! Those most complex thing I've photographed is some theater production and some portraits, so I am looking forward to the challenge!
Justplainmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
My advice is don't get so tied up in making a great photograph that you miss out on your vacation. It's very easy to live life through the viewfinder. When you do you can easily miss the best parts.

And as said already get a comfy strap. You can't use the camera if it's in the bag. Keep it out and on you as much as possible. I'm one of the Crumpler Industry Disgrace fans. I love that strap.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justplainmk View Post
I was actually thinking about getting rid of the strap entirely because I am going to June and I think it would be to hot to carry it around my neck all day. Ad that way I can just stick it in my bag and it takes up a little less room.

And yes I have been checking out Flickr and Instagram and all those things, and I especially like the advice of going there early. I am there to have a good time and enjoy myself but I am also really looking forward to putting my photography skills to the test! Those most complex thing I've photographed is some theater production and some portraits, so I am looking forward to the challenge!
I'm in the always have a strap fan club. I've got to have something to have that thing anchored to my body. Either on my wrist or around my neck. I've seen too many things slip through sweaty sunscreen slicked hands.

One thing I love about my Crumpler strap is that it breathes very well. My neck never gets hot, itchy or sweaty with it.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
cjstarr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm in the always have a strap fan club. I've got to have something to have that thing anchored to my body. Either on my wrist or around my neck. I've seen too many things slip through sweaty sunscreen slicked hands.

One thing I love about my Crumpler strap is that it breathes very well. My neck never gets hot, itchy or sweaty with it.
I second that photo_chick, the Crumpler Convenient Disgrace is one of the best things I have purchased for my camera.
June 6, 2010 Movie Resort, MK, Epcot, HS, & AK
Our next trip to Walt Disney World ???

Think Outside the BOX!!!
My Camera is a Sony A57
cjstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Quote:

Well put! I ended up worrying less about photography on our last trip. I found that I wasn't spending enough time enjoying our girls so after the first 2 days I ended up mostly taking family photos and less scenic shots.

I use the OpTech neoprene strap and like it. It also breathes really well.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: