Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #991
disneydentist
Mouseketeer
 
disneydentist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: NE PA
Posts: 346

[QUOTE=gotomu212;48079251]This was my favorite cruise!

Skagway- we actually booked privately with Chillokot tours. Started with the white pass railroad to the Canadian border (same train as DCL just a different car). Then you get off the train and a small shuttle picked us up for a great drive through the Yukon and back to the ship. Cannot say enough how great this was.

QUOTE]

Which one of their tours did you book? We're having a hard time choosing. TIA
__________________
Contemporary: 1972, 1996, 1997, 1998.
Off-site: 1974, 1986, 1989, 1992, 2005 (Band trip).
Polynesian: 1993, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2003.
POR: 2002 (x2); POFQ: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.
Wilderness Lodge: 2000, 2001 (Flag Family 12/3).
All-Star Music: 2009 (Band trip).
Disneyland: 1980, 2007, 2009, 2011.
Disney Magic: New England and Canada 2012. Disney Wonder: Alaska 2013.

WDW Honorary Citizens:11/23/1996.

WWTBAM? Play It! Hot Seat 12/3/02. Got the 1,000,000 point question wrong.
disneydentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #992
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse
 
OrcaPotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Winter Springs (Orlando), FL
Posts: 1,039

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydentist View Post
Which one of their tours did you book? We're having a hard time choosing. TIA
It sounds just like this one, which is what I booked for myself for this June: http://www.chilkootcharters.com/yukonraildog.htm

We're doing train up, bus down, with the dog kart ride added.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #993
meajuly5
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 719

Chilkoot charter to yukon

Has anyone done this with a 10 and 7 y old! Too long of a day? I booked the whitepass one but wooly led rally like to see more. Worried about whether the kids will be bored.
meajuly5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #994
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread
 
jilljill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!
Posts: 18,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by meajuly5 View Post
Has anyone done this with a 10 and 7 y old! Too long of a day? I booked the whitepass one but wooly led rally like to see more. Worried about whether the kids will be bored.
Lots of info in this thread that I merged with your thread/question.
__________________
Disneynutinlondon hit me
jilljill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #995
gerryspeirs
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 95

This is what I've booked so far for excursions- any opinions are appreciated

Historical City Tour and Salmon Bake- Skagway

Enchanted Taku Glacier Lodge Flight & 5-Glacier Seaplane Discovery- Juneau

Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast- Ketchikan

Thanks!

Gerry
gerryspeirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #996
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran
 
AZMermaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryspeirs View Post

Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast- Ketchikan
We are booked on this one, I found a lot of good reviews on Trip Advisor, but not too many reviews here. When do you sail? I would be interested to hear how it goes- we sail July 15.
__________________


AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #997
meajuly5
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPotter View Post

It sounds just like this one, which is what I booked for myself for this June: http://www.chilkootcharters.com/yukonraildog.htm

We're doing train up, bus down, with the dog kart ride added.
Please let us know what you think when you get back! I had booked the shorter one but the views of emerald lake are selling me on the longer one!
meajuly5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #998
RedSox68
DIS Veteran
 
RedSox68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,472

We only booked one excursion through the ship (HAL) -- the whale watching in Juneau -- which was excellent (included lunch at a lodge). We saw dozens of humpback whales, harbor seals, otters, eagles and puffins. The lunch was great and they gave us a little time to explore the beach.

In Skagway we booked through Chilkoot Tours --which was the best decision we made. Saved about $60 off what the ship was charging for the exact same tour and we had the most awesome tour guide (from Texas). Their shuttles are small -- only 20 people, so it is very personal and they stop wherever you want to take pictures. We did the train up and he was waiting for us and we went to Caribou Crossing, Emerald Lake, and lunch was included also.

In Ketchikan we just walked off the ship and booked one of the tour companies on the dock. We got a great savings and got a great 3-hour tour. We got back into town with enough time to eat lunch at Annabelle's and explore the town.
__________________

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama
Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Panama Canal
Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder -- 10 night Southern Caribbean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Transatlantic
Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal
Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West
May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #999
meajuly5
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68 View Post
We only booked one excursion through the ship (HAL) -- the whale watching in Juneau -- which was excellent (included lunch at a lodge). We saw dozens of humpback whales, harbor seals, otters, eagles and puffins. The lunch was great and they gave us a little time to explore the beach.

In Skagway we booked through Chilkoot Tours --which was the best decision we made. Saved about $60 off what the ship was charging for the exact same tour and we had the most awesome tour guide (from Texas). Their shuttles are small -- only 20 people, so it is very personal and they stop wherever you want to take pictures. We did the train up and he was waiting for us and we went to Caribou Crossing, Emerald Lake, and lunch was included also.

In Ketchikan we just walked off the ship and booked one of the tour companies on the dock. We got a great savings and got a great 3-hour tour. We got back into town with enough time to eat lunch at Annabelle's and explore the town.
Do you recall how much time you were at emerald lake? Did you take many scenic stops or photos? I booked the same trip with the same company. Any kids on your tour?
meajuly5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #1000
RedSox68
DIS Veteran
 
RedSox68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,472

Quote:
Originally Posted by meajuly5 View Post
Do you recall how much time you were at emerald lake? Did you take many scenic stops or photos? I booked the same trip with the same company. Any kids on your tour?
There were no kids on our tour, but we did see children at the various stops that were on other shuttles. The place where we had lunch had a petting zoo, husky puppies and an ice cream shop and gift shops. It was in the middle of nowhere and the sites were beautiful.

We spent enough time at Emerald Lake to get out and take pictures and enjoy the view. He stopped on the way up and on the way back so that we got different views. We went to quite a few photo stops. This excursion was one of our favorites and I would do it again. We went in May and there was about 12 feet of snow up there from a storm in April. It was amazing.
__________________

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama
Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Panama Canal
Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder -- 10 night Southern Caribbean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Transatlantic
Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal
Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West
May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #1001
meajuly5
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68 View Post

There were no kids on our tour, but we did see children at the various stops that were on other shuttles. The place where we had lunch had a petting zoo, husky puppies and an ice cream shop and gift shops. It was in the middle of nowhere and the sites were beautiful.

We spent enough time at Emerald Lake to get out and take pictures and enjoy the view. He stopped on the way up and on the way back so that we got different views. We went to quite a few photo stops. This excursion was one of our favorites and I would do it again. We went in May and there was about 12 feet of snow up there from a storm in April. It was amazing.
Thanks so much. I had booked the shorter one but couldn't resist the additionAl sites. Too close to not see it for myself. Did you do the train combo? I appreciate the info!
meajuly5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #1002
RedSox68
DIS Veteran
 
RedSox68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,472

Quote:
Originally Posted by meajuly5 View Post
Thanks so much. I had booked the shorter one but couldn't resist the additionAl sites. Too close to not see it for myself. Did you do the train combo? I appreciate the info!
Yes -- the combo that included lunch. We did the longest tour that included everything that the ship's excursion included. We had a gorgeous day, the train was amazing (I think it was a 3-hour ride). You go up along mountain passes and you will see gorges, etc. My husband spent a lot of time out on the platforms. The train cars are all wood and look like original cars. There is a bathroom in each one and a water station. I know there is the reverse tour also that starts on the bus and ends with the train ride down, but I had read that the train ride up was better.

We, unfortunately, had a woman on our excursion who was very high maintenance and caused us some problems with constant stops and complaining, but our tour guide had a tremendous amount of patience. We did manage to see everything and I didn't feel slighted. They then drop you off into town to shop on your own. I just loved how easy it was to walk back to the ship. We also did the Red Onion tour once we got back in town. It was like $5.00/pp.
__________________

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama
Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Panama Canal
Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder -- 10 night Southern Caribbean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Transatlantic
Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal
Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West
May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #1003
meajuly5
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68 View Post

Yes -- the combo that included lunch. We did the longest tour that included everything that the ship's excursion included. We had a gorgeous day, the train was amazing (I think it was a 3-hour ride). You go up along mountain passes and you will see gorges, etc. My husband spent a lot of time out on the platforms. The train cars are all wood and look like original cars. There is a bathroom in each one and a water station. I know there is the reverse tour also that starts on the bus and ends with the train ride down, but I had read that the train ride up was better.

We, unfortunately, had a woman on our excursion who was very high maintenance and caused us some problems with constant stops and complaining, but our tour guide had a tremendous amount of patience. We did manage to see everything and I didn't feel slighted. They then drop you off into town to shop on your own. I just loved how easy it was to walk back to the ship. We also did the Red Onion tour once we got back in town. It was like $5.00/pp.
Oh boy! Hopefully we won't be those people! Looking forward to it
meajuly5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #1004
RedSox68
DIS Veteran
 
RedSox68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,472

Quote:
Originally Posted by meajuly5 View Post
Oh boy! Hopefully we won't be those people! Looking forward to it
No no -- we were all under the consensus that she should not have been on that excursion alone. She was very high strung about time and not making it to certain spots by a certain time. There were other unfortunate issues with her also that are left better unsaid

But like I said, our tour guide as AMAZING and took very good care of all of us and we have nothing but good memories all around.
__________________

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama
Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Panama Canal
Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder -- 10 night Southern Caribbean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Transatlantic
Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal
Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West
May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #1005
Donna3271
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,233

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie08 View Post
If I remember correctly they do.
Thats great! I was figuring out if I should book separately, or through Disney. The price difference was $30... but if the Disney prices include tax, then it is virtually the same.
Donna3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: