Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #31
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
or It settled down once rational people realized it was a "done deal". Disney made their decision. It doesn't mean folks who don't agree with the policy changed their minds.

The fee is nothing more then a money grab designed to grab money from guests who forget about the fee or are the victim of unanticipated circumstances.

I also completely disagree with this. I can't speak for Disneyland, but at WDW there was a definite problem that they needed to address, and this policy did just that. The ADR hoarding and subsequent no-shows were completely out of hand. It is now much, much better since the policy was instituted.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #32
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

Update!

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/priorityseating.htm

Quote:
DELAYED!!!
(Update 05/06/13)

The implementation of the new policy has been delayed indefinitely.

New Cancellation Policy

Beginning May 9th for reservations after June 24th, guests will be required to provide a credit card to make a reservation at all Disney owned and operated restaurants in the Disneyland Resort.

Guests must cancel within 24 hours or face a $10 per person charge for failing to show up for the reservation.

This new policy also applies to Bibbidi Boddidi Boutique, Studio Disney 365 and cabanas.
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #33
jennynoel
Mouseketeer

While, in general, I agree with a cancellation fee since it keeps more reservations available. I had a situation just over a year ago where a $10 cancellation fee would have been adding insult to injury. We arrived 4 MINUTES late for a reservation at DLR and were not accommodated.

I am relieved that they are delaying this new rule.

The full story:

I made a reservation for 7:30pm at Storyteller's Cafe. I am an AP holder and lived about 90 minutes from Disneyland at the time.

As can often happen in Southern California, we hit a bit of traffic on the way and arrived at the Restaurant later than expected - at about 7:34pm.

The place was unexpectedly swamped due to some special event that I didn't know about. There was a line of about 15 people at the hostess stand outside the restaurant.

I went inside and told the cast member at the inside host station that I had a 7:30pm reservation. They directed me to the line outside.

When we finally made it to the front of the line it was 7:48pm by my iPhone and 7:50pm by the digital clock on the host station. We were TURNED AWAY. The hostess said that since it was so busy they were not accepting people more than 15 minutes late. I explained that we had been in line for 15 minutes but she said there was nothing she could do! I was shocked.

We left and had a perfectly lovely dinner at Naples in Downtown Disney.

As it was my feathers were ruffled, but if I had also been charged a fee I would have been very angry.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #34
TheShea's
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennynoel View Post
While, in general, I agree with a cancellation fee since it keeps more reservations available. I had a situation just over a year ago where a $10 cancellation fee would have been adding insult to injury. We arrived 4 MINUTES late for a reservation at DLR and were not accommodated.

I am relieved that they are delaying this new rule.

The full story:

I made a reservation for 7:30pm at Storyteller's Cafe. I am an AP holder and lived about 90 minutes from Disneyland at the time.

As can often happen in Southern California, we hit a bit of traffic on the way and arrived at the Restaurant later than expected - at about 7:34pm.

The place was unexpectedly swamped due to some special event that I didn't know about. There was a line of about 15 people at the hostess stand outside the restaurant.

I went inside and told the cast member at the inside host station that I had a 7:30pm reservation. They directed me to the line outside.

When we finally made it to the front of the line it was 7:48pm by my iPhone and 7:50pm by the digital clock on the host station. We were TURNED AWAY. The hostess said that since it was so busy they were not accepting people more than 15 minutes late. I explained that we had been in line for 15 minutes but she said there was nothing she could do! I was shocked.

We left and had a perfectly lovely dinner at Naples in Downtown Disney.

As it was my feathers were ruffled, but if I had also been charged a fee I would have been very angry.
Why not ask to speak with the restaurant manager if only 4 minutes late? Certainly they would have seen that the hostess was being unreasonable.
TheShea's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #35
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

I'm pleased that this has been delayed at Disneyland for the time being. WDW and Disneyland are very different. WDW is more of a vacation destination where people often travel interstate or from around the world to visit. Disneyland however has most of their visitors as locals so it's impossible for them to be able to book so far in advance and then have to pay the $10 fee if something came up.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #36
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

I am afraid I disagree, it doesn't really matter if your booking 6 months or a week early, all the rule asks is you cancel before 24 hours, not a hard thing to do.

Not to mention at WDW the reports are they have been very reasonable about folks being late and not a all the folks showing up.

If anything, I would think you would be happy with this rule as it has shown it opens up more reservations, making it easier for locals to get a table.

JMHO

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #37
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Dining Reservations at amusement parks geared towards not just children...but the youngest of children are counter-intuitive and will be till this space rock we all live on goes supernova....

That's just the way it is. Disney had a good system with priority seating...but they decided to go in a different direction to lower overheads and squeeze more juice outta the oranges.

This move is another example of it.

I am not disputing the business value of this or necessarily disagreeing with the merits of it...but it is a soulless move.

Anyone remember the kiosks at the front of epcot when it opened? Where you walked up and could plan your day - including what you wanted to eat...right there. Where it was fresh and you had some freedom.

At the time the thought of "booking windows" for every detail (i mean...fireworks viewing fastpasses?) probably seemed ridiculous because everyone was on VACATION!!! I doubt the Disney Board of Directors would have seen any real appropriateness to doing that.

Now its being implemented across the board with a hammer...like this is Tianamen Square or something...

They were right then.
Let it breathe
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #38
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Anyone remember the kiosks at the front of epcot when it opened? Where you walked up and could plan your day - including what you wanted to eat...right there. Where it was fresh and you had some freedom.

At the time the thought of "booking windows" for every detail (i mean...fireworks viewing fastpasses?) probably seemed ridiculous because everyone was on VACATION!!! I doubt the Disney Board of Directors would have seen any real appropriateness to doing that.

Now its being implemented across the board with a hammer...like this is Tianamen Square or something...
IMO, it's a sign of the times.

People have shown an increasing desire to pre-plan Disney vacations in order to get their money's worth. Guidebooks like Passporter and the Unofficial Guide...websites like TouringPlans which will map out your entire day...websites like this where guests share tips and tricks.

My wife and I spent most of our honeymoon at WDW about 15 years ago and we were completely lost. Didn't see a fraction of what was available. I believe we ate exactly one Table Service meal at a Disney restaurant the entire week.

A few years later we started making regular trips with our kids. For the first half-dozen stays I would plan out every detail: where to spend each day, restaurant visits and even the order for visiting attractions. When you're spending $3-4k for a trip, you want to get your money's worth.

Now for the typical visit I'll schedule a couple ADRs and map out some recommended days to visit each park based upon operating hours, nighttime shows (often to avoid), etc. But all of that is flexible.

Still, I think that approach probably leaves me in the minority. Many guests are ready, willing and able to plan 6 months in advance. Those who choose to wait risk suffering the consequences.

Does an ADR no-show policy benefit Disney? Sure. But it's also the only way to police abuse of the system. Without some financial penalty, folks will continue to book unneeded duplicate reservations just as they have in the past.

I can't see many folks being nostalgic for queuing up at a computer terminal to try and get dinner reservations day-of.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #39
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Dining Reservations at amusement parks geared towards not just children...but the youngest of children are counter-intuitive and will be till this space rock we all live on goes supernova....

That's just the way it is. Disney had a good system with priority seating...but they decided to go in a different direction to lower overheads and squeeze more juice outta the oranges.

This move is another example of it.

I am not disputing the business value of this or necessarily disagreeing with the merits of it...but it is a soulless move.

They were right then.
Let it breathe

I remember those days and you are indeed right..........a much better way!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #40
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
IMO, it's a sign of the times.

People have shown an increasing desire to pre-plan Disney vacations in order to get their money's worth. Guidebooks like Passporter and the Unofficial Guide...websites like TouringPlans which will map out your entire day...websites like this where guests share tips and tricks.

My wife and I spent most of our honeymoon at WDW about 15 years ago and we were completely lost. Didn't see a fraction of what was available. I believe we ate exactly one Table Service meal at a Disney restaurant the entire week.

A few years later we started making regular trips with our kids. For the first half-dozen stays I would plan out every detail: where to spend each day, restaurant visits and even the order for visiting attractions. When you're spending $3-4k for a trip, you want to get your money's worth.

Now for the typical visit I'll schedule a couple ADRs and map out some recommended days to visit each park based upon operating hours, nighttime shows (often to avoid), etc. But all of that is flexible.

Still, I think that approach probably leaves me in the minority. Many guests are ready, willing and able to plan 6 months in advance. Those who choose to wait risk suffering the consequences.

Does an ADR no-show policy benefit Disney? Sure. But it's also the only way to police abuse of the system. Without some financial penalty, folks will continue to book unneeded duplicate reservations just as they have in the past.

I can't see many folks being nostalgic for queuing up at a computer terminal to try and get dinner reservations day-of.
LOL...i love it when people say they "can't find the sitdowns"...

It's not that hard...what's wrong with you, man?

put as far as policing duplicates...i have always been in favor of that...

But from my own personal experience last week...it may be counter productive to put in policies to do so. My kids don't have a refined sense of clock management...so i juggled/cancelled/rebooked ressies in real time (thankfully the crowds were delightfully light and i could do that)...but if this policy were in place - i would have been subject to dozens of "cancellation fees". I didn't double book or be discourteous and not cancel reservations...but its a vacation, dammit, so ease off me!

out last trip back in august...we decided that we weren't going to brown derby on a particular night (we had gone for lunch the day before instead)...but it was within 24 hours...so i had to "move" it to two days later. Which i promptly hung up...called back in 5 minutes and cancelled that reservation 48 hours out.

Stop wasting my time with these shenanigans...you greedy basta...oh nevermind

but i also hate how the DDP/reservation system has all but eliminated walkups in all but the least crowded times. That's just employee laziness at the restaurants. there are no shows every meal period...but management has allowed or even encouraged turning people away. Not right...like you have to beg them to take $120 dollars for $50 worth of food.

here endeth the rant.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #41
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post

If they still had those today...the stampede to get to them first would probably make the running of the bulls for Toy Story look tame.

Last edited by mcd2745; 05-17-2013 at 09:23 AM.
mcd2745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #42
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic

They were right then.
Let it breathe
You know..... 250-2,500 people DIED at Tiananmen Square. Comparing Disney's dining reservation changes to people dying for their rights maybe a TAD melodramatic?

Stacy
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)

Last edited by Srbright; 05-17-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #43
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Duplicate post

Stacy
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: