Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 01:19 AM   #151
bentopher
Mouseketeer

Got to POP at 1230. Was out and about the resort. Got to MK at 5, left at 830. I haven't seen any flys or love bugs... Yet!

May 2013 Pop Century: Star Wars Weekend. The boys 2nd trip. And first trip with Grandma (who hadn't been in 15ish years).
May 2012 All Star Sports: The boys first Disney Vacation, and my first time back in 15 years!
Several offsite trips as a child, a disney cruise in 1994, and ASMu in 1997 for Disney 25th Anniversary!
bentopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #152
EpcotKilterFan
The first to extend her Fish

Just a little Off Kilter

They were flies! I sure wish I took a photo of them! We were sitting at the Off Kilter stage for a week and they were so annoying. No food anywhere near by. Even the band on stage was having an issue with them.

We had lovebugs as well, but I think that the flies were even annoying them! There were less lovebugs and more flies after a while.

Debbie
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #153
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Are they flies (big filthy critters that stand around on your food rubbing their hands together evilly) or gnats (clouds of tiny critters that fly up your nose)? Do they bite? Do they follow you around, or mostly ignore you? Are they attracted to garbage?

Small flies that bite are blackflies and midges, but you'd know if you had them. They don't hang out in large groups. They act more like homing missiles and their bites will leave you bleeding.

If they're gnats, then the massive clouds of them are just them having sexy parties. They're random, and not interested in you (although they can seem to follow you around sometimes if you get your head stuck in the middle of a sex cloud) or your food. It was probably an unusually wet or warm spring, and a ton of them hatched all at once. Gnats are annoying, but harmless. When they're in breeding mode, they don't even eat.

From everything I've been reading, these sound more like gnats than flies.
This is both the most disturbing and all at the same time most hilarious thing I have read on the Dis!

I never want my head caught in a "cloud" of that nature.

Now to go wipe off the iPad I just spit all over.....

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #154
dsnycrzy
W/4 kids who has time for anything else but planning our next WDW trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwblonde View Post
I am freaking out because our trip is at the beginning of June and my 4 year old DD is terrified of flying insects. I already told her that Disney does a greaf job of keeping the insect population under control. It sounds like this isn't just a WDW problem but this may ruin our trip. Of course I have been calmly reminding her they can't hurt her, letting bugs crawl on me, getting bug books at the library- anything to help get her over this fear. But these swarms of flies may send her over the edge. I hope if is under control soon! I know it isn't just a WDW problem.
Our trip isn't until August but my DD10 is petrified of flies she has been for years! I means dipping & dodging, fanning & screaming! This is making me want to cancel this year and wait this issue out because this wont be a pleasant trip for her especially AT ALL.
97-99-HOJO MGE ***00-POR/CRUISE***01-05-HOJO MGE ***06-NICK &HOJO MGE***07-POP/NICK/HOJO MGE *** 08-SUITES @OLD TOWN***09-POP/CBR ***10- NO TRIP &11-No Trip- BABY ON THE WAY 12- CBR/PORFQ/POP/SUITES @OLD TOWN***13-RPR/CBR &VACATION HOME***14-CBB/ASMu/AoA

dsnycrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #155
hsmamainva
DIS Veteran

We've been here since Saturday. They are regular ordinary flies...like the kind you would find in your kitchen on a hot summer day when you leave a door or window open.

The only time we've really noticed them are when we sit down. If you sit down on a bench, they will be all over you. As long as you keep walking, you're good.

Really bad at Epcot & MK -- hardly saw any at HS. Off to AK today and we'll see how they are there!

And they're gone completely when the sun starts to go down btw.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

2/11 - 3/12 - 5/13 - 5/14 - 8/14 - Planning: 1/15 - 5/15 - 8/15

hsmamainva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #156
dsnycrzy
W/4 kids who has time for anything else but planning our next WDW trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwang123 View Post
we are here now and while eating my frankfurter in germany a group of flies snatched half of it and took off when i wasn't looking. when i chased after them a few of their friends flew off with my beer. i complained and disney gave me free captain eo fast passes.
KILL ME NOW!!!! Hil-FREAKIN-larious :lmao :
97-99-HOJO MGE ***00-POR/CRUISE***01-05-HOJO MGE ***06-NICK &HOJO MGE***07-POP/NICK/HOJO MGE *** 08-SUITES @OLD TOWN***09-POP/CBR ***10- NO TRIP &11-No Trip- BABY ON THE WAY 12- CBR/PORFQ/POP/SUITES @OLD TOWN***13-RPR/CBR &VACATION HOME***14-CBB/ASMu/AoA

dsnycrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #157
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUCKY View Post
Uhhhh...just what are they supposed to do? Build domes over all of the parks? Stretch netting all over?

it's nature.
Hey we live in Orlando and are used to having bugs. We do not expect them to cast a spell and block them out. The volumes at the world right now are insane and its an issue in that area because we do not have the intense amounts where we live. Our comments were based on observation and the fact that the amount of bugs were more than usual which is what people are expressing on this thread. No need to get sarcastic.

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #158
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
they can seem to follow you around sometimes if you get your head stuck in the middle of a sex cloud
Can't say that I've ever had this unpleasantness happen.

Quote:
From everything I've been reading, these sound more like gnats than flies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
I think maybe people are actually seeing love bugs, not flies. This is around the time if year we went when we were inundated with gazillions of love bugs
For the love of God, people .... Myself, and everyone else at WDW know the difference between a fly, gnat, and a love bug. I doubt there is a single adult on the planet that can't tell the difference. The only thing the three have in common is that they are black and they fly.

Why do people keep suggesting stupid stuff like this?!?!?

These are FLIES! FLIES! FLIES!

Quit insulting peoples' intelligence please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtreegirl View Post
They are FLIES! Not love bugs. I live here, I know the difference between a fly and love bug, they don't even look alike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkhopping View Post
They are definitely regular black houseflies. Not gnats or lovebugs or anything else. They don't bite, either, and they are interested in food.
Are you sure they're not geckos, rats, or snakes you are seeing?
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #159
MarieA
DIS Veteran

My DH and I just returned on 5/14. During the time we were there we kept commenting about the flies. We travel to WDW every year during the same week and have never had a problem with flies.

5/2010 HHI, BLT, 5/2011 - BCV, 5/2012 - BCV, 11/2012 - BCV, 5/2013 - BCV, 5/2014 - BCV, 11/2014 - BCV

MarieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #160
rccllap
Who is this kid and why is he calling me Mom?

Well, I checked with Mom again, she's at the Studios today (on the backlot tour as I type this) and she has seen exactly zero flies. She says maybe she's in a lucky bubble but that it has been no issue whatsoever.

Whoohooooo
rccllap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #161
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
Can't say that I've ever had this unpleasantness happen.

For the love of God, people .... Myself, and everyone else at WDW know the difference between a fly, gnat, and a love bug. I doubt there is a single adult on the planet that can't tell the difference. The only thing the three have in common is that they are black and they fly.

Why do people keep suggesting stupid stuff like this?!?!?

These are FLIES! FLIES! FLIES!

Quit insulting peoples' intelligence please!

Are you sure they're not geckos, rats, or snakes you are seeing?
You'll notice I posted later, agreeing that they sounded like houseflies, once some of my specific questions were answered.

The generic word "flies" can mean many different things. When people were talking about "clouds" of them flying around, their description did indeed sound like what we call gnats around here.

You want to know why are people "insisting" they're not flies? They're not. They're just trying to define exactly what is meant by "fly" and going off some pretty vague descriptions by previous posters.

In other words, don't get mad. It's your own fault for not posting a picture like this:

So we can all agree on what a "fly" is.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #162
Enjoying Life
Mouseketeer

Disney, your fly is open!
Enjoying Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #163
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:

In other words, don't get mad. It's your own fault for not posting a picture like this:

So we can all agree on what a "fly" is.
If they were this cute, I think having them at WDW would be a positive. We would have all photos of them.

A fly is a fly. I'm not mad, just frustrated that people keep suggesting that they are love bugs. One person even suggested cicadas. Geez....

The fact that these are, in fact, flies has been clarified many times over the duration of this thread.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #164
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
If they were this cute, I think having them at WDW would be a positive. We would have all photos of them.

A fly is a fly. I'm not mad, just frustrated that people keep suggesting that they are love bugs. One person even suggested cicadas. Geez....

The fact that these are, in fact, flies has been clarified many times over the duration of this thread.
Actually from my observations at the MK this morning, they are neither flies nor love bugs...

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #165
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Actually from my observations at the MK this morning, they are neither flies nor love bugs...

I knew I recognized that adorable little fellow!

http://www.burdr.com/2010/07/rufous-...ida-to-alaska/

I sure wouldn't mind if he decided to swing by Orlando, from Tallahassee! Though it'd be more likely to be a great grandchild of his, given their lifespan is only 3 - 5 years, and this was taken in 2010.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: