Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #1246
Jessicalynne
Mouseketeer

Love the shout wipes idea!

Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jordy...25730070799917
Jordyn's blog: www.triumphingoverall.blogspot.com
Jessicalynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #1247
Dragontears
Mouseketeer

So many great ideas...so few vacations

How about what NOT to take (or is that a whole other thread)...never take NEW just about anything.

Everyone knows not to take new shoes...not until they are good and broken in; but there are other new things you might not expect to attack while on vacation.

I never take any "untried" product that goes on the skin. Lotion, sun screen, medications, soap, make up - even the temporary tattoos the kids love. Try them out on a sunny day well before the trip. Many more skin care products than you might expect make you more sensitive to the sun or can cause an allergic reaction.

And speaking of medications. Be sure to ask the pharmacist when filling any new prescriptions about sun sensitivity. Many meds will cause a burn in a very short amount of time. I can count the number of sun burns I have had in my life (and that's a long time ) on the fingers of one hand...and one of them was from just cutting roses for an arrangement while on antibiotics.

DD bought a new hat to keep the sun off, not realizing how hot it would make her head (no vents) or how uncomfortable the strap would be. (Not all straps are created equal.)

DH bought new "runners' socks" only to discover that they squished his toes worse than tight fitting shoes. (must have been runners with small feet )

I got the "back bag" because it was supposed to be easier on the back...it was, but it kept slipping around and dumping my sunglasses out of the top pocket.

Test any new "gadgets" before you go to make sure they work...and work for you. There are many great suggestions on the board for things that are absolutely great. But not necessarily of use to all of us. Even when I find something that wasn't particularly useful for me doesn't mean it isn't a great idea...just not what I would pack again. So now when I find a really neat (told you I was old) idea, I try it out before the big trip to see if it is worth the luggage space.

I'm sure you can all remember at least one such "error in judgment" ... so be sure to try it before you pack it...and have an "oops" free vacation.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO. what a ride!'

Last edited by Dragontears; 05-13-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Dragontears is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #1248
Dragontears
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by emlibs1mom View Post
Re: pills. We take several vitamins a day between us. Instead if taking each bottle I went to the craft section at Walmart and got a small bead organizer for a dollar. Each section holds more than enough for the 10 days we'll be gone.
Great idea...works great for DH....but I still need to get them down to breakfast (one needs to be taken with food). So this time I think I will get the little 2X2 inch ziplock bags (at any craft store in the beading section) and make up one bag for each morning. Then I can take it to breakfast and toss the bag in the trash instead of having to bundle them up in a Kleenex and hope it doesn't spill. lol
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO. what a ride!'

Old 05-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #1249
Dragontears
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up ooooh good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW in Pearls View Post
This might not be that weird, but I pack color coded trash bags for dirty clothes. That way when I get home, I can dump my whites, darks, etc right in the wash. More neurotic than weird I guess.
We are not neurotic, we are well organized and anyone who says differently is just jealous. lol

So,tell me tell me....where did you find colored trash bags other than black and white?

Old 05-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #1250
Jessicalynne
Mouseketeer

Crystal Lite little squeeze things to add to water to make it into a funner drink. Easy to carry, small, and lots of servings in one little thing.

Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jordy...25730070799917
Jordyn's blog: www.triumphingoverall.blogspot.com
Jessicalynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #1251
pammydw
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicalynne View Post
Crystal Lite little squeeze things to add to water to make it into a funner drink. Easy to carry, small, and lots of servings in one little thing.
I must say the most unusual thing to pike is pinkxav or bordeauxs butt paste. Chaffing is a huge issue with all the walking

Pam Chris: Lucy
Boardwalk Resort October 2012
Contemporary and Polynesian March 1983
pammydw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #1252
emlibs1mom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammydw View Post

I must say the most unusual thing to pike is pinkxav or bordeauxs butt paste. Chaffing is a huge issue with all the walking
There is a product called Body Glide available on Amazon I bought for us. It looks like a deodorant stick and goes on easily. I tested it this weekend and it worked wonders. Can't wait for the parks.

Last edited by emlibs1mom; 05-13-2013 at 09:23 PM.
emlibs1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #1253
lmbraun
Earning My Ears

I just bought the mini keurig coffee maker for our 8 day trip- I like my Newman's Own coffee and I like it first thing in the morning! We are staying @ BWV so we have a small kitchen, can't wait!
lmbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #1254
dayvewc
DIS Veteran

Haven't checked in a while

But Wal-Mart used to carry trash bags in all sorts of pastel colors - pink, blue, green, purple - that I remember. They were smaller bags, for like the bathroom trash can, not the large kitchen trash cans.

Don't know if they still do, but I remember having to stock them way back when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragontears View Post
We are not neurotic, we are well organized and anyone who says differently is just jealous. lol

So,tell me tell me....where did you find colored trash bags other than black and white?
July '09 and New Years Eve '09 offsite . Spring Break '11 Orange Lake , August '12 WorldGate , July '13 Orange Lake , Halloween '13 Saratoga Springs , Spring Break '14 Orange Lake , July '14 Silver Lake , Spring Break '15 DisneyLand Grand Californian

dayvewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #1255
AnnaNonamus
Mouseketeer

I know Dollar Tree carries them, but they are not sturdy. Pretty sure Walmart still carries some colors as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayvewc View Post
But Wal-Mart used to carry trash bags in all sorts of pastel colors - pink, blue, green, purple - that I remember. They were smaller bags, for like the bathroom trash can, not the large kitchen trash cans.

Don't know if they still do, but I remember having to stock them way back when.
CBR - 10/20/13-10/28/13 - Free Dining Girls Trip!
AnnaNonamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #1256
Nakkira
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh2001 View Post

We also bring a power bar with at least 8 outlets in it. We use the power bar to plug in our 4 cell phones, camera batteries, ipods, and anything else which needs charging. It helps when there are only 2 or 3 plus available to charge things at night.

What do you bring and use at WDW which are not normal items like a brush, clothes, extra sneakers ?
That is Brilliant! I always have issues finding enough outlets but for some reason it had Never occurred to me to pack my own power strip!
Adding it to the LIST!
Thanks!

Oct 2013 - 5 days (offsite hotel)
Feb 2009 -3 days (offsite hotel)
Oct 2004 - Week (Caribbean Beach Resort)
Feb 1998 - Week (offsite hotel)
Fall 1993 - Week (offsite hotel)
Nakkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #1257
Nakkira
DIS Veteran

Pennies

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvnative View Post

We also bring two mini M&M tubes. One green and one red. They're the perfect size. Green holds quarters and pennies for pressing. Red holds the pressed pennies.
I use a pill bottle for this!
Also, before my trip I find actual copper pennies and pre-clean them so that I get pretty/shiny pressed pennies.
Worth the effort.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #1258
Nakkira
DIS Veteran

Vino

Might be strange
I bring boxed wine.
I like to relax with a little vino sometimes after a day in the parks. To save money I packed boxed wine in my checked bag. Whatever we don't drink will get left behind but since it is cheaper than buying there I do not mind too much.

I also bring my own crackers and other snacks.

That space they took up in my bag on the way there can be used for the souvenirs I buy on the way home!

So I save money and reserve space for new acquisitions in the same go!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #1259
Nana2Callie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakkira View Post
I use a pill bottle for this!
Also, before my trip I find actual copper pennies and pre-clean them so that I get pretty/shiny pressed pennies.
Worth the effort.
Copper pennies - is this a certain year range?
Nana2Callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #1260
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana2Callie View Post
Copper pennies - is this a certain year range?
Pre-1982 pennies are best. Newest ones have a lot of zinc and when pressed will show through grey.

This is from parkpennies.com: Circulated copper, pre 1982 cents can be found in every day change. Rolls of cents purchased at the bank are a great place to find copper cents and they are only one cent each! Just sort out the pre 1982 cents and youre done. (With a little hinting, a family member might help you by sorting out coppers from their pocket change too.) If you want "shiny" pressed pennies, Id suggest that you clean the cents before you press them. (It will make for a nicer looking coin than if you clean the elongated coin after pressing.)

Last edited by LisaTC; 05-16-2013 at 12:16 PM.
LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: