Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #286
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoOverDreams View Post
My personal opinion on My Disney Experience is pretty low right now, but I'll reserve final judgement until the app is fully rolled out.

I've been able to login no problem, link with DH's profile, add all my reservations (DVC and dining) and I'm able to view everything on Mac, iPad, and iPhone while I'm home.

The problem starts when in the park. Most of the time we were in WDW this past weekend we could not login to the system to view anything. When we couldn't remember a specific dining time, we thought no problem, we'll just login to My Disney Experience and double check the time. Wrong! The app on the iPhone was unavailable and there is no 'offline' version, you can only view your info while you are logged in.

We tried both the Disney wifi and our carrier, neither could connect to the app. Thankfully I use Tripit so I had all the info there.

Here's a screen capture of the error:

Untitled by tsciolla, on Flickr

So right now I'm not feeling the love for Disney IT :-)

Coming from a couple that are both IT geeks for a living.
That bold sentence really worries me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Well, in all fairness.

It's only an issue if you want to do rides in the parks.

Oh, well what's there to worry about then!
Old 05-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #287
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckGA View Post
Let's take a relatively recent example.
The problem: Disney buses were dedicated to a park/resort(s) loop. This resulted in many times where a bus would be running almost empty because there just wasn't anyone at those resorts at that time who wanted to go to that park but there would be some waiting for another park.
The solution: Put Disney buses on an open schedule so they would be redirected before each dropoff where they were to head next.
The intended result: People would be waiting less, buses would run fuller, and they wouldn't need as many buses.

Why this fails: The function they are optimizing just tries to minimize the total amount of wait time across all people. So if 99 people wait 1 minute less and 1 person waits 89 minutes longer, they have saved 10 wait-minutes. Sounds great unless you are that one person..
What you describe is the wrong way to do things.

If there are no people waiting to go to a particular park then bus trips to that park can be omitted. But as soon as even one person arrives at the platform to go to that park then a bus for that destination should be dispatched to arrive within 20 minutes or whatever the normal non-rush hour interval is.

The system still saves bus runs, here instead of having a bus every 20 minutes, there will be some longer intervals without bus runs when nobody shows up. And it still looks to the guest as if buses ran every 20 minutes.

Now let's say that running the bus for the one person cut his wait from 89 minutes to 20 minutes (saving him 69 minutes) but at the same time 70 people going to the peak load park had to wait for another bus 10 minutes later (costing them cumulatively 700 minutes). That would still be fair and proper.

Last edited by seashoreCM; 05-15-2013 at 06:18 PM.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #288
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzCMlightyear View Post
Like I stated in the original post, we are currently in Phase 1 of the roll out.

I'll list what I have been told the phases will be. This is only what I have been told, will probably change as it happens, so bear with me.

Phase 1: 100 FP+ Guests throughtout all four parks, resort guests only.
Phase 2: Increase number of Resort only guests, no estimate at this time.
Phase 3: Increase Resort guest number again, start allowing some AP.
Phase 4: All resort guests, all AP.
Phase 5: All guests.

No estimated dates for any of the phases as of this time. Probably depends how phase 1 and 2 work out.
were these 100 people in Animal Kingdom only? We are here now and all of the FP+ readers were covered in MK, HS and Epcot. Animal Kingdom, i noticed Expedition Everest was not.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #289
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Maybe these guys should comment after this has been in place for a while ....

I don't get some of the posts here. One person said that part of the plan was to make standby lines shorter and also make it less likely that people will go to other parks. One person even said that standby lines could disappear! If people spend less time in lines won't that actually give them more time to go to other parks? Also, how could standby disappear? Measuring ride capacity versus attendance pretty much guarantees that that will never happen.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #290
iheartjuppy
Mouseketeer

I should clarify that my issues were only while ON Disney property as well (resort - AKL, and all four parks). The app works fine from home both before and after the trip. The error screen capped is one of several I experienced.
iheartjuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #291
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl
Maybe these guys should comment after this has been in place for a while ....

I don't get some of the posts here. One person said that part of the plan was to make standby lines shorter and also make it less likely that people will go to other parks. One person even said that standby lines could disappear! If people spend less time in lines won't that actually give them more time to go to other parks? Also, how could standby disappear? Measuring ride capacity versus attendance pretty much guarantees that that will never happen.
arent they building a new bus loop at MK that is supposed to accomodate better park to park transportation? seems like that means they arent trying to keep people in one park.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #292
mesaboy2
Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwang123 View Post

arent they building a new bus loop at MK that is supposed to accomodate better park to park transportation? seems like that means they arent trying to keep people in one park.
Yes--that is one of the presumed reasons.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #293
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Well, I'm going to get a lot of popcorn and just watch this all unfold like a Hollywood motion picture. I think the climax could be coming soon except with this it's going to be much longer than 10 minutes until the resolution!

Walt Disney World Resort

March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop, AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort
October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)
Disneyland Resort
August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)
Upcoming
Walt Disney World June 2014 (GF for 5 Nights/5 Days)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #294
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwang123 View Post
Actually, I believe the loop was to better accommodate the new articulated buses they will be using for POP (and presumably AoA), and as an added plus they will move the park to park buses from TTC to the bus loops as well (either to new stalls or the vacated ones).
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #295
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by casperthegm View Post
I've seen a couple of posts in this thread that seemed to reference FP+ will eventually replace fast passes completely. My initial understanding was that regular fp's would stay and FP+ would just supplement them since it's only for 3 attractions per day. Was I wrong about this? Is it going to be just FP+ in the future, with only the ability to reserve for a few rides per day? Sorry if I missed the answer in any of the previous posts in the thread.
We haven't been informed by anyone official as to how this will work exactly yet. All we know so far is that we will be able to book three in advance. Beyond that is pretty much speculation right now, but there is indication that the FP+ system will also work like the existing FP system, although there might be some added restrictions (perhaps only one per attraction, etc.)

The old FP system will also stay until everyone is RFID enabled and the system is fully operational. What I'm not sure about right now is how guests with MagicBands will utilize the old system, unless they've already enabled it for them to get additional FP+s via the MagicBand somehow.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #296
preemiemama
Mouseketeer

Has anyone noticed a change in the DME site? I am 59 days out from my trip and now have an option to create a "wish list" of attractions that I can "bookmark them to add to my itinerary when booking windows become available". The list includes character meet and greets, restaurants, rides, and shows.
preemiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #297
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by preemiemama View Post
Has anyone noticed a change in the DME site? I am 59 days out from my trip and now have an option to create a "wish list" of attractions that I can "bookmark them to add to my itinerary when booking windows become available". The list includes character meet and greets, restaurants, rides, and shows.
I actually wonder if having/using the app can boost your chances of being
"selected", as long as you are at the correct resort. It might make it easier if they pick people already familiar with the app and perhaps already have some favorites picked out.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #298
preemiemama
Mouseketeer

I was wondering about that as well. I had not seen anyone else post about it and thought that was odd!
preemiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #299
lillykat
DIS Veteran

Or you can be like me and stump the cast members at both the park guest services and the resort by being the only person in the reservation to be listed in the computer as having a band but they aren't doing it at our hotel, so much fun having an invisible band, so I couldn't get into the parks without help, couldn't get fastpasses and pin never works. Oh and somehow had 2 sets of tickets on my pass. Can't be good when the resort manager said um, I have only seen this once before...
May 2013 POR Princess Trip! May 2010 POLY DD#2's 1st birthdaySept 2008 POLY - DD#1's 1st tripApril 2004 - AKL honeymoonJanuary 2002 at AKL
lillykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #300
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillykat View Post
Or you can be like me and stump the cast members at both the park guest services and the resort by being the only person in the reservation to be listed in the computer as having a band but they aren't doing it at our hotel, so much fun having an invisible band, so I couldn't get into the parks without help, couldn't get fastpasses and pin never works. Oh and somehow had 2 sets of tickets on my pass. Can't be good when the resort manager said um, I have only seen this once before...
Ah...must have been the "Didn't anyone check to see if we had the MagicBands first?" test.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: