DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
DVCJones
DIS Veteran

What is the current price...

per point through Disney?

Thinking of adding on 50-75 points. Probably going to go the resale route, but with the restrictions, stripped contracts, waiting for desired use year, I'm thinking maybe direct...
Thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCJones View Post

Thinking of adding on 50-75 points. Probably going to go the resale route, but with the restrictions, stripped contracts, waiting for desired use year, I'm thinking maybe direct...
Thanks
http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc...g-a-promotions
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Anna114
Pluto Rocks!

Unless you are in a rush to buy, I would bide my time. The price difference can be quite large, so unless you have an important reason for direct I would wait.
5/1988 POLY (Honeymoon) 2/1998 Offsite 5/2002 Caribbean Beach 5/2006 Wilderness Lodge 12/2007 POP 8/2009 Port Orleans Riverside 5/2010 POLY CL (Anniversary) 10/2010 SSR 1/2011 OKW 8/2011 FW Cabins & VWL 12/2011 SSR 5/2012 VWL 9/2012 VWL 8/2013 VWL 25th Ann. w/my boys 5/2014 AKV 12/2014 VWL 5/2009 DVC Owners Villas at Wilderness lodge!

Anna114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
DVCJones
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
Yikes!!! I'm in no hurry, so I will just wait and give it some time. It is hard to think about buying at those prices when I purchased direct (just 8 years ago) $84 after incentives.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yikes!!! I'm in no hurry, so I will just wait and give it some time. It is hard to think about buying at those prices when I purchased direct (just 8 years ago) $84 after incentives.
I wouldn't expect the direct prices to go down later on. I think PP was suggesting you explore the resale route (which can take more time than a direct purchase).
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
csharpwv
DIS Veteran

OK, so here's the issue - no promotional pricing on 'classic' resorts.

What you see, is what you pay.

With resales, it can take forever - you can get ROFR'd - you can wait and wait and wait and never really get what you want etc etc

Smaller contracts demand a higher price on the resale market, so what you ultimately have to weigh is this...

Pay more per point and let Disney do all the work via a waitlist process...

OR

You watch the resale market and make an offer on every single contract that hits the market that fits your needs. (# of points, UY, status of the contract etc)

Is the worth more to you to own the points sooner... or worth the savings at the expense of time.

Another factor with resales is the loss of value via trade options, BUT if that isn't important to you - then it removes one more consideration from your process.
-Bay Lake Tower
-Saratoga Springs
-Hilton Head Island
csharpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by csharpwv View Post
OK, so here's the issue - no promotional pricing on 'classic' resorts.

What you see, is what you pay.

With resales, it can take forever - you can get ROFR'd - you can wait and wait and wait and never really get what you want etc etc

Smaller contracts demand a higher price on the resale market, so what you ultimately have to weigh is this...

Pay more per point and let Disney do all the work via a waitlist process...

OR

You watch the resale market and make an offer on every single contract that hits the market that fits your needs. (# of points, UY, status of the contract etc)

Is the worth more to you to own the points sooner... or worth the savings at the expense of time.

Another factor with resales is the loss of value via trade options, BUT if that isn't important to you - then it removes one more consideration from your process.
IMO, DVC lost it's one big "pro" on the pro/con list of buying direct over resale: the speed of the transaction. Unless you're buying Aulani or AKV, you'll end up on a wait list that could end up lasting as long (or longer) than a resale purchase.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
nalajms
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Probably going to go the resale route, but with the restrictions, stripped contracts, waiting for desired use year, I'm thinking maybe direct...
Thanks
What kind of points do you get when adding on Direct? Let's way I go on a waiting list today and my UY is Sept. If they contact me Aug, would I still get 2012 points or only 2013 going forward? What if my turn isn't until Oct?
Old 05-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
DVCJones
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post

I wouldn't expect the direct prices to go down later on. I think PP was suggesting you explore the resale route (which can take more time than a direct purchase).
Right! I know this. I just wanted to know what the going direct rate was. I want SSR points and I'm not in any hurry. If I see a good resale contract with my same use year, I'll jump on it. And hope it passes. Direct is way too high for me. I don't need points that badly.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks
It sounds like you've made your decision, which is great. But for the benefit of others reading this thread I'd like to take a second to talk about the objections to buying resale, because it's coming up more and more lately.

For what it's worth, I don't think that the restrictions are a valid reason not to buy resale. It's been talked about a million times, so I won't go into it again here.

I also don't think that targeting a specific use year is a good reason to buy direct. As our lives change, so do our vacation habits. People talk about their "ideal" use year, but for many that changes. I also think that owning different use years can provide flexibility based on the time of year you wish to travel. Managing two use years is no more difficult than balancing your checkbook, so if you can do one, you should be able to do the other.

The latest objection to buying resale is the whole "stripped contract" thing. Yes, there are a lot more stripped contracts out there than there used to be. But here's the thing...you don't have to buy them. There are still plenty of contracts out there with at least full current year's points. If you don't want to buy stripped, those are the contracts you should be targeting. I find at times that people complain about the lack of juicy inventory as a reason to talk themselves into buying direct. In my opinion, it's not a valid concern.

Like I said, it sounds like you already made up your mind. The "you" I refer to in this post is the prospective buyer in general, and not anybody specific. But thanks for starting an interesting thread.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
IMO, DVC lost it's one big "pro" on the pro/con list of buying direct over resale: the speed of the transaction. Unless you're buying Aulani or AKV, you'll end up on a wait list that could end up lasting as long (or longer) than a resale purchase.
I agree completely. I would also add that with resale, you know how long of a wait you have. With the direct wait list it is an undefined amount of time. Personally I feel that not knowing is much more stressful than waiting 10-12 weeks for resale.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
DVCJones
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post

It sounds like you've made your decision, which is great. But for the benefit of others reading this thread I'd like to take a second to talk about the objections to buying resale, because it's coming up more and more lately.

For what it's worth, I don't think that the restrictions are a valid reason not to buy resale. It's been talked about a million times, so I won't go into it again here.

I also don't think that targeting a specific use year is a good reason to buy direct. As our lives change, so do our vacation habits. People talk about their "ideal" use year, but for many that changes. I also think that owning different use years can provide flexibility based on the time of year you wish to travel. Managing two use years is no more difficult than balancing your checkbook, so if you can do one, you should be able to do the other.

The latest objection to buying resale is the whole "stripped contract" thing. Yes, there are a lot more stripped contracts out there than there used to be. But here's the thing...you don't have to buy them. There are still plenty of contracts out there with at least full current year's points. If you don't want to buy stripped, those are the contracts you should be targeting. I find at times that people complain about the lack of juicy inventory as a reason to talk themselves into buying direct. In my opinion, it's not a valid concern.

Like I said, it sounds like you already made up your mind. The "you" I refer to in this post is the prospective buyer in general, and not anybody specific. But thanks for starting an interesting thread.
All very good points to consider. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
Anna114
Pluto Rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post

Yep. I so agree. You never have to buy something you don't want to buy. If it doesn't fit into your plan, just don't do it. If it's a stripped contract at too high a price, just move on. Remember one thing else, the asking price is not a hard price. Put in an offer that you are comfortable with. When it leaves your range.. move on. The prices I'm seeing for VWL, for a small contract, are stupid. Taking that into consideration, there is not much out there so it brings a higher value. I want to add on but for that price I will bide my time.
5/1988 POLY (Honeymoon) 2/1998 Offsite 5/2002 Caribbean Beach 5/2006 Wilderness Lodge 12/2007 POP 8/2009 Port Orleans Riverside 5/2010 POLY CL (Anniversary) 10/2010 SSR 1/2011 OKW 8/2011 FW Cabins & VWL 12/2011 SSR 5/2012 VWL 9/2012 VWL 8/2013 VWL 25th Ann. w/my boys 5/2014 AKV 12/2014 VWL 5/2009 DVC Owners Villas at Wilderness lodge!

Anna114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: