Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
LoriZH
The GooGoo Dolls rock!!!!
No longer feuding with the McCoys!

Question Going to rent ECV, Need Help w/Choice

Hi all.

I've decided that I need an ECV the entire trip this time. I was in a very bad accident 9 years ago and ended up permanently disabled from it Last time we went in 2007 I rented daily or when needed. I have since become more debilitated, more severe symptoms and can't stand more than 5 minutes at a time or walk for more than 20 minutes at a time without a rest, so I'm going to rent the entire stay.

My question is this. There are 2 choices I am looking at, either the 3 wheel or the 4 wheel scooter (I only need a small one and the smaller better for me actually). I would love to rent the 3 wheeled one but am a little afraid how it handles since I've never used a 3 wheeler (geez I sound like I'm going to a race or something lol). So has anyone used the 3 wheeled scooter and if so, was it easy to maneuver? If you've used both, what would you recommend?

Again I only need the smaller one (under 175 lbs) so my choices are between either one of those.

Thank you

Been booed by Daninalismama, Thank you!
LoriZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
Carnator
Mouseketeer

A 3 wheeler will have a better turning radius and is easier to maneuver. A 4 wheeler will have less of a turning radius. I prefer a 3 wheeler. I have never come close to turning over in either one, but I have seen some comments before that some people felt safer with a 4 wheeler. They said it seemed more stable.

me -- DS -- DD --
Carnator is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
LoriZH

Thumbs up

Thank you!

That's what I was looking for, I wanted to make sure it wouldn't tip over. I don't mind if people report they "felt" like it as long as they didn't

I'm going to rent the 3 wheeled one. I did notice the turn radius was shorter, I like that also. It states it comes apart in 10 seconds which would be great for putting it in our room too.

Thanks again

Old 05-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
bopper
Which way to the Hundred Acre Woods?
I have been in VMK since day 1 and am still playing!

Also does the company you are renting from provide an option to pick up the 3 wheeler and replace it with a 4 wheeler if necessary?
Old 05-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
LoriZH

I'm not sure. I just got the agreement in my email and it has a phone number and contact person if I need any information. That's a great question. I did reserve the 3 wheeled EVC, but I'm not going until August so I will see if I get more opinions and then change it if I have to.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriZH View Post
.... It states it comes apart in 10 seconds which would be great for putting it in our room too. ...
FYI...you shouldn't need to take it apart to put it in your resort room, only if you plan to travel by personal (or rental) car and need to put it in the trunk/back end. There should be plenty of space in any onsite resort to just drive it into the room and plug-in overnight.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
LoriZH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
FYI...you shouldn't need to take it apart to put it in your resort room, only if you plan to travel by personal (or rental) car and need to put it in the trunk/back end. There should be plenty of space in any onsite resort to just drive it into the room and plug-in overnight.

Enjoy your vacation!
Thank you. We're staying at CR so I wasn't sure how it works and if you're suppose to take them apart or not, good to know.

Another thing, can you recharge in the park? It states it goes for 14.5 miles (the battery) but I was wondering if we were eating, etc. if there was a place we could charge it in the park.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
MVC1225
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriZH View Post
Thank you. We're staying at CR so I wasn't sure how it works and if you're suppose to take them apart or not, good to know.

Another thing, can you recharge in the park? It states it goes for 14.5 miles (the battery) but I was wondering if we were eating, etc. if there was a place we could charge it in the park.
There are multiple places to charge at the parks. We frequently give it a boost while we eat. Take the charging cord with you and just ask a CM at restaurant entrance and most will point you to the closest wall plug.

By the way we have stayed at all values and POFQ with two ECVs and have never had an issue needing to disassemble in room. It's a little tight with two in the value rooms but we always manage.
Future Trips: January 2015 - FW

MVC1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
LoriZH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC1225 View Post
There are multiple places to charge at the parks. We frequently give it a boost while we eat. Take the charging cord with you and just ask a CM at restaurant entrance and most will point you to the closest wall plug.

By the way we have stayed at all values and POFQ with two ECVs and have never had an issue needing to disassemble in room. It's a little tight with two in the value rooms but we always manage.
Excellent good to hear!

That was the one thing I was most worried about and that was it running out of battery and me getting stuck lol. Thanks again

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: